Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
ORAC
Spaceresearcher
One of the most terrific characters in the whole series. Not just an essential tool but a pivotal character that gave the 7 an edge even the Liberator couldn't match.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
I loved the fact that the AI was so obnoxious and arragant that the crew frequently pulled the plug rather than allow ORAC to be the deus ex machina and thereby force the crew to solve thier own problems.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Spaceresearcher
Absolutely. Orac was sometimes a blessing bundled with a curse.

Grade Four Ignorant
As Avon observed, Orac is irritating but he is useful. And he's too valuable to get rid of.

Little Man
I always thought there was a hint of Basil Brush in his tone of voice!

Tarrant On TV
The fact that he would say, "What is it now?!" when he was switched on suggests he may have been busy thinking while he was switched off and didn't take kindly to being interrupted.

peladon
Tarrant On TV wrote:

The fact that he would say, "What is it now?!" when he was switched on suggests he may have been busy thinking while he was switched off and didn't take kindly to being interrupted.

I think that its pretty clear that Orac was never not working, its interesting to speculate on what 'he' was up to when 'off line'.

JustBrad
Rather than thinking of Orac as a Computer, I think of him as a Virus. The perspex box and activator key are merely the console. Orac is as much software as hardware. In that regard, it is always running, and considers activation of its console as an interruption.

razamoon
Gamma Grade

One of the most terrific characters in the whole series. Not just an essential tool but a pivotal character that gave the 7 an edge even the Liberator couldn't match.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Welcome razamoon, good to have you on board Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Grade Four Ignorant
peladon wrote:

I think that its pretty clear that Orac was never not working, its interesting to speculate on what 'he' was up to when 'off line'.

He was busy leaping Sam Beckett through time.

JannaKalderash
What in the heck could he have been researching that was SO important that he'd gripe about being interrupted by the crew when his input was needed?

He wasn't a virus, he was an ego in a box! A really obnoxious ego that made all of Avon's rudeness seem like that of a five year old boy looking so sucker his parents out of candy.

Angry Angel
Space Chopper wrote:

His ego ultimately led to the seven's undoing, didn't it? His insistence on being heard, and shouting down Slave, meant that the Scorpio crew didn't get adequate enough warning of the gunships patrolling the orbit of Gauda Prime, so when they do become aware of the gunships, it's when they are being fired upon by them. If Orac had the sense of perspective to shut up and allow Slave to state what it needed to state (Orac could predict the future, after all), the crew could maybe have been better prepared.

Maybe it did it on purpose?

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Space Chopper
His ego ultimately led to the seven's undoing, didn't it? His insistence on being heard, and shouting down Slave, meant that the Scorpio crew didn't get adequate enough warning of the gunships patrolling the orbit of Gauda Prime, so when they do become aware of the gunships, it's when they are being fired upon by them. If Orac had the sense of perspective to shut up and allow Slave to state what it needed to state (Orac could predict the future, after all), the crew could maybe have been better prepared.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Grade Four Ignorant
Space Chopper wrote:

Orac has never really had a sense of perspective, except in regards to itself. It was happy to fly Liberator into a black hole just to satisfy its own curiosity. The fact that the crew would have died was fairly immaterial to it.

JustBrad
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

Orac has never really had a sense of perspective, except in regards to itself. It was happy to fly Liberator into a black hole just to satisfy its own curiosity. The fact that the crew would have died was fairly immaterial to it.

But presumably Orac did not purpose his own destruction in this act. Did he? Was the subject so fascinating that he would risk annihilation to study it, like Pandora opening the box?

Or was the danger not quite so drastic? I suggest that from Orac's point of view, the crew *could* have died, which, while coldly calculating, is a far cry from *would* have died.

peladon
JustBrad wrote:

Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

But presumably Orac did not purpose his own destruction in this act. Did he? Was the subject so fascinating that he would risk annihilation to study it, like Pandora opening the box?

Or was the danger not quite so drastic? I suggest that from Orac's point of view, the crew *could* have died, which, while coldly calculating, is a far cry from *would* have died.

Just one the many stupid aspects of the 'Blake' plot. Orac did most certainly have a sense of perspective and survival came at the top of the list. There never was any way that Orac would have not been aware of the danger, over ridden Slave, and ignored its own best interest. The only possibility is that Orac could survive a fall through the atmosphere but even then it wasnt in Orac's interests to land up in a forest with no control of who might pass by. So Orac would not have done it.

sweevo
Avon should have thrown Orac out of the airlock instead of listening to him/it (re: Vila).

meegat39
sweevo wrote:

Avon should have thrown Orac out of the airlock instead of listening to him/it (re: Vila).

But Orac wouldn't have weighed 73 kilos!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

rojkerr1
Orac is in the Ark in space, dr who. THIS IS A STERILE AREA KEEP OUT!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.36 seconds
9,921,109 unique visits since 8th January 2014