Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
ORAC
Lurena
meegat39 wrote:

sweevo wrote:

Avon should have thrown Orac out of the airlock instead of listening to him/it (re: Vila).

But Orac wouldn't have weighed 73 kilos!

If you take in account that Orac was able to predict the future, it would have known about the solution and outcome.
I have been thinking so often why Orac made its suggestion to Avon. Was it to make Avon searching (for Vila) and consequently found that heavy cube?
Was its secondary plan to separate the team Avon and Vila? In order to what? To keep Avon sharp for Orac's own survival?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Rodney
I think Orac is responsible for Zen playing such a small part in Series 2 after being a main character in Series 1. His bad-tempered and pompous nature seems to lead to Zen saying very little.
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney wrote:

I think Orac is responsible for Zen playing such a small part in Series 2 after being a main character in Series 1. His bad-tempered and pompous nature seems to lead to Zen saying very little.

I suppose in RL terms they didn't want Peter Tuddenham to have a disproportionately high number of lines.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
Rodney wrote:

Probably. Orac had a much better personality to write for.

Grade Four Ignorant
JustBrad wrote:

Probably. Orac had a much better personality to write for.

More than likely. By Season B the more mysterious elements of Zen appear to have disappeared. It's one of the things I liked about Season A, where occasionally Zen would be unhelpful or unwilling to help the crew. Almost like he was working to his own agenda. Orac has much more personality and greater capabilities, so it's unsurprising he was more fun to write for.

Lurena
I think Zen was interesting enough to write for.
As you said, Grade Four Ignorant, Zen had mysterious elements.
I would have loved to see that developed and used.
What about Jenna's connection with Zen?
What about its connection with Orac later on?
Why did it allow Avon to ( seemingly) bypass its programs?
Had Zen concluded that the symbiosis with Blake's human crew was the best way available to "survive" , possibly until Liberator's owner(s) got it back?
Can one consider Liberator to be the body and Zen to be Liberator's mind? After all the ship originates from the System, a machine controlled culture.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
sweevo
Lurena wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

sweevo wrote:

Avon should have thrown Orac out of the airlock instead of listening to him/it (re: Vila).

But Orac wouldn't have weighed 73 kilos!

If you take in account that Orac was able to predict the future, it would have known about the solution and outcome.
I have been thinking so often why Orac made its suggestion to Avon. Was it to make Avon searching (for Vila) and consequently found that heavy cube?
Was its secondary plan to separate the team Avon and Vila? In order to what? To keep Avon sharp for Orac's own survival?

I think Orac felt (I use that term loosely) insulted by Avon after he offered to trade him/it in favour of the Tachyon Funnel - as far as Avon was concerned, Orac deemed him no longer viable and suggested to throw out Vila, knowing (or at least suspecting) that Avon would have to make a sadistic choice (his survival versus his loyalty to the nearest thing he has to a friend).

Frankymole
sweevo wrote:
I think Orac felt (I use that term loosely) insulted by Avon after he offered to trade him/it in favour of the Tachyon Funnel - as far as Avon was concerned, Orac deemed him no longer viable and suggested to throw out Vila, knowing (or at least suspecting) that Avon would have to make a sadistic choice (his survival versus his loyalty to the nearest thing he has to a friend).
It seems very unlikely to me that Orac would not have been in on the planned confidence trick used on Egrorian, as the dummy Orac had been developed some time earlier and the real Orac would've had to agree to do the voice relay thing.

Anniew
Peladon, if Orac was programmed to seek out new worlds so to speak, and to answer questions might this explain both the black hole and Blake? I mean once a computer starts to do something I've often found you can't over-ride it and move it on to something else until it's finished, you can only switch it off.

Orac isnt human with the flexibility of mind that we have. It thinks in straight lines. And it hasn't any instinct for self-preservation, it just does what it's programmed to do.
The trouble is that we anthropomorphise Orac ( or whatever the IT term for the process is) and assume that it thinks outside the box .
Zen on the other hand could well be an organic life form.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

The trouble is that we anthropomorphise Orac... and assume that it thinks outside the box.

Lol Lol GrinGrinGrin

Can Orac "think outside the box"..?! Grin

That's made my day Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Anniew
Spaceship Despatcher.

Glad you got the little joke!

Annie

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:
The trouble is that we anthropomorphise Orac ( or whatever the IT term for the process is) and assume that it thinks outside the box .

I think Orac would be thinking outside the box, if Vila had his way, and used the box as a portable drinks container and threw the brain in a corner somewhere. Wink Grin

Anniew
He shoots. He scores Smile

Yay I worked out how to do a smiley!

percusski
Was wondering recently how Orac perceives the world around him; visual sensors, sound, smell, temperature etc? Also how he connects with other computer devices...a version of bluetooth perhaps?

Travisina
percusski wrote:
Also how he connects with other computer devices...a version of bluetooth perhaps?

Orac connects via Tariel cells, which were developed by his creator Ensor and which became an integral component of all computers. Interestingly, this seems to apply to alien computers (ie Zen, the Core) as well as Federation computers. Of course, when Terry Nation wrote this, in an age when a single computer filled an entire building, bluetooth wasn't even conceived of, let alone half the tech we have now. For now, I imagine Orac uses something like bluetooth that can work over vast distances - but as our RL tech catches up with B7, future analogies may come along that fit better.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

percusski
Great stuff, yes I remember the tariel cells.. What are your thoughts on orac's perception of the world around him?

Travisina
percusski wrote:
What are your thoughts on orac's perception of the world around him?

It's a good question. I suspect your speculation would be correct - he has physical sensors together with information gathered from other sources to interpret them. Eg, smells - I don't think Orac would have a subjective view that something smells nice or nasty, but that there are the various compounds in the atmosphere, are they beneficial or injurious to organic life/to myself?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Boolean logic?

JustBrad
percusski wrote:

Great stuff, yes I remember the tariel cells.. What are your thoughts on orac's perception of the world around him?

In the dawn of the internet age, when an IT friend first explained routers to me, I thought, "Allowing all computers to communicate with each other. That's called Tariel Cells."

Orac is not a machine, Orac is a virus. The perspex box is merely the interface. He can perceive through it, or though any of the sensors on any of the computers he can link to, making him in effect, omnipresent.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,130,851 unique visits since 8th January 2014