Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Olag Gan
Lurena
Considering the medical treatment given to Travis, I once expected Gan to return; brainwashed and serving Servalan...

My thought at first watching was: come on, he can't be dead, he is stuck, wounded and unconscious, but not dead.
Did you see Blake examine Gan thoroughly?

Then the truth (Gan dead and an actor lost his job just for BBC's economical reasons) was hard and Gan's death became one of the reasons to ban series from the Dutch television.

I have a soft spot for the Gan character.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Travisina
Lurena wrote:

(Gan dead and an actor lost his job just for BBC's economical reasons)... .

My understanding that the writing out of Gan wasn't for economic reasons but because Terry Nation wanted to shake the audience by killing off a major character. Vila was one of the others considered for the chop (!), but in the end they went with Gan. I don't know how unhappy David Jackson was with that decision; he found the character very frustrating - limited in every sense of the word.

But I too have a soft spot for Gan - the nicest, most moral person on the Liberator.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

sweevo
From what I understand, David wasn't too bothered about the decision - in his words: "Nobody seemed to want to remove the limiter and free him." I think he accepted and understood that the character wasn't going to last very long.

lemon
[
Travisina wrote:
My understanding that the writing out of Gan wasn't for economic reasons but because Terry Nation wanted to shake the audience by killing off a major character. Vila was one of the others considered for the chop (!), but in the end they went with Gan. I don't know how unhappy David Jackson was with that decision; he found the character very frustrating - limited in every sense of the word.

Lucky Vila! I would have killed Cally insteadGrin In the season A they were both slightly behind the others and both moralists. So...
Lurena wrote:
Considering the medical treatment given to Travis, I once expected Gan to return; brainwashed and serving Servalan...
My thought at first watching was: come on, he can't be dead, he is stuck, wounded and unconscious, but not dead.
Did you see Blake examine Gan thoroughly?
Then the truth (Gan dead and an actor lost his job just for BBC's economical reasons) was hard and Gan's death became one of the reasons to ban series from the Dutch television.
I have a soft spot for the Gan character.

When Gan was, I had the feeling that you're home and safe. Still, I would prefer brainwashing Gan and the creation him as perfect citizen as it was with Blake than to make him the villain. Although this could be one way of character development after all.

rojkerr1
I did a story called Survivor, enabling Gan to survive thru total malfunction of his limiter, putting him into a coma, he wakes in the mortuary legs it and lives a primitive life outside the dome...until he sees Vila die on a public info display and then sees Servalan on the same broadcast, this partially restores his memory and he sets out to kill her, as the limiter has burnt out now. David Jackson loved the idea, would have been so nice to do as an audio after Mark of Kane and Logic of Empire, but his untimely death finished the notion.

rojkerr1
would have been ironic, had Gan been the last Survivor of the 7

lemon
rojkerr1 wrote:

I did a story called Survivor, enabling Gan to survive thru total malfunction of his limiter, putting him into a coma, he wakes in the mortuary legs it and lives a primitive life outside the dome...until he sees Vila die on a public info display and then sees Servalan on the same broadcast, this partially restores his memory and he sets out to kill her, as the limiter has burnt out now. David Jackson loved the idea, would have been so nice to do as an audio after Mark of Kane and Logic of Empire, but his untimely death finished the notion.

Remarkable story! It is a pity that Mr. Jackson died by that moment. Though the Gan's story all the same had the dramatic end...
And your mention of connection with Vila who death destroyed his unconsciousness - touches very much. Vila definitely was Gan's soft spot.

rojkerr1
dead right lemon, Gan really cared for Vila, and it was mutual, witness Breakdown, and his reaction to his death in Trial

BradPaula
You know, having Blake as the source of information is iffy at best if you go by the series. I certainly don't believe Jenna is dead. Sure, she probably was injured after the Galactic War, but self destruct? Not in her nature. Anyway, Rojkerr's story line about Gan surviving the rest of the crew is intriguing. He held up the door for the others, did that kill him? Blake thought so but we never saw him actually check his pulse. Even Grant did that to the soldier in Countdown. So I wonder...

So sad David Jackson didn't live to a ripe old age. He was a very nice gentleman and I was thrilled to get to meet him in the early days. It would have been a thrill for the fans to hear him in an audio, Rojkerr, but alas. Guess we had better be glad for anything we get out of Big Finish!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

sweevo
There's a piece of fan fiction on this site taking place after "Animals", which speculates that Og is (was) actually a revived Olag Gan, his mind (or was it his brain?) being placed in an experimental genetic body as part of a Perfect Soldier/Ultimate Warrior-like experiment.

President Solvite
rojkerr1 wrote:

An interesting concept I would pay good money to have heard that.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Grade Four Ignorant
There's at least one piece of fiction in the Hermit library where Soolin is the only survivor of Gauda Prime and her Federation interrogator is a brainwashed Gan.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.62 seconds
9,822,122 unique visits since 8th January 2014