Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Olag Gan
Spaceresearcher
An extremely decent person who you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of.

Interesting that while Gan couldn't attack people with his limiter in place, he could still shoot them. Smile

Grade Four Ignorant
Aside from Vila, Gan is my favourite character.

Gan for me is the best example of what Blake was fighting. He was a man who had suffered terrible injustice and brutality at the hands of the Federation. Even though he'd lost his wife and ability to defend himself, Gan never gave in to hatred and revenge and maintained his dignity, compassion and morality.

He is usually the first to give someone the benefit of the doubt, which is nicely refreshing from the suspicious and cynical natures of Jenna, Vila and Avon. Think back to Time Squad - when Jenna is attacked by the Cryogenic Warrior, she's all for dumping them into space. Gan speaks up in their defence and suggests that they were just scared. He also seems to know his way around a medical kit and is always ready with a comforting arm or word.

I find it interesting that the two new outfits he gets in Season B are very similar to how Blake dresses. Both seem to have a taste for Renaissance shirts and tunics. This acts as a nice shorthand to show that Gan is the most loyal to Blake's cause and that he is the one who Blake can rely on for full support.

Spaceresearcher
Wow, that's a terrific look at Gan, Grade Four Ignorant. See I'd always surmised that it was perhaps the limiter which didn't give Gan a choice in the matter. However if we look at the limiter as a device which only really kicks in if Gan's testosterone peaks(eg he's really angry), then I'd have to say you'd be absolutely correct.

SC, would it be possible to have a link to the photos of the actual Gan limiter in the Horizon archive? It's fantastic that this essential prop is still around and a joy to behold. Have you seen it Grade Four Ignorant?

Grade Four Ignorant
I've seen it, it's pretty cool!

I never subscribed to the theory that Gan was a schizophrenic serial killer who was sexually aroused by violence towards women.

winnie-l
I really like Gan too!

Blake and Avon could very rarely argue without it getting personal and sometimes ugly. Gan was reasonable and accepted Avon's cold, abrupt manners as a part of Avon's unique personality and never flew off the handle when Avon put Gan down. In turn, Avon snapped at Gan and insulted him, but I can't recall Avon ever yelling at Gan like he did to all the others.

And yet Avon's patience with Gan's questions in the 05.TheWeb indicated a degree of respect. Yes, he throws in a disparaging remark - "It's slow. You should appreciate that problem." - but I don't think he'd have bothered to discuss what he was doing, if he didn't think Gan could understand.

Gan was aware of his own limitations, but he felt the need to contribute to the running of the ship. He was conscientious about his duties/job/work on the Liberator.

So Gan couldn't kill. If ability to kill was all that was needed, then Blake would be no better than the Federation. What does it say about Blake that he valued a man who was unable to kill? There are also qualities such as integrity and honesty. In 17.Horizon, who's first willing to go down and rescue Blake and Jenna? Gan. With Gan you know where you are. His reliability is there and you can bank on it. He can be forceful too. He's the one who takes a stand on moral principles, against Blake, in 15.Shadow.

Apparently kids who watch B7 often identify most strongly with Gan. Maybe Gan had a child-like innocence which was natural, unlike Vila's "innocence" which seemed to be an act so that the bad guys never saw him as the main threat. Or, kids are attracted by a father figure (big and strong and gentle). Although I like Vila, he always feels a bit 'artificial' to me.

Watch 06.Seek-Locate-Destroy: my, everyone has a good time ordering Gan about in this ep. Take a look at the scene where they're actually stealing the gizmo. Gan, take the prisoners out. Gan, set the mines. No, Gan, on the other side of room! Gan, come here. Gan, guard the door. Gan, come back here. Gan, rip the gizmo out.

And he does it all with perfect good humor. Very nice guy, our Gan.

And his dying words: "I'm not worth dying for." Telling Blake to keep running and save himself, so that Gan's sacrifice wasn't made in vain.

Ellen York
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

Aside from Vila, Gan is my favourite character.

Gan for me is the best example of what Blake was fighting. He was a man who had suffered terrible injustice and brutality at the hands of the Federation. Even though he'd lost his wife and ability to defend himself, Gan never gave in to hatred and revenge and maintained his dignity, compassion and morality.

He is usually the first to give someone the benefit of the doubt, which is nicely refreshing from the suspicious and cynical natures of Jenna, Vila and Avon. Think back to Time Squad - when Jenna is attacked by the Cryogenic Warrior, she's all for dumping them into space. Gan speaks up in their defence and suggests that they were just scared. He also seems to know his way around a medical kit and is always ready with a comforting arm or word.

I find it interesting that the two new outfits he gets in Season B are very similar to how Blake dresses. Both seem to have a taste for Renaissance shirts and tunics. This acts as a nice shorthand to show that Gan is the most loyal to Blake's cause and that he is the one who Blake can rely on for full support.

Nice summary of the character and very much in line with my view of him. He was the "everyman" of the group; not a career criminal, but an average guy pushed beyond his limits by the Federation. And being the solid, dependable one may not glamorous, but someone has to do it especially when Blake and Avon were going at it. He deserved better than he got and his death was a very large loss. Have you read Judith Proctor's "A Berth on the London"? It is up on the Hermit web-site and gives the back story of what happened to Gan's wife and his interaction with Blake and Jenna in the early days on the London.

Grade Four Ignorant
Ellen York wrote:

Nice summary of the character and very much in line with my view of him. He was the "everyman" of the group; not a career criminal, but an average guy pushed beyond his limits by the Federation. And being the solid, dependable one may not glamorous, but someone has to do it especially when Blake and Avon were going at it. He deserved better than he got and his death was a very large loss. Have you read Judith Proctor's "A Berth on the London"? It is up on the Hermit web-site and gives the back story of what happened to Gan's wife and his interaction with Blake and Jenna in the early days on the London.

I have indeed read it, and it was nice to get a bit of background on Gan and his life. I also quite liked A Good Team by Nicola Mody. It shows us Vila and Gan's first meeting in a hospital ward.

Ellen York
I have indeed read it, and it was nice to get a bit of background on Gan and his life. I also quite liked A Good Team by Nicola Mody. It shows us Vila and Gan's first meeting in a hospital ward.[/quote]

I reread "A Good Team" over the weekend. I had forgotten how good it is. Nicola is one of my favorite fan-fic authors. She writes all of the characters well. When I read her stories, I can hear the voices. "Limiters" is another nice look at the Vila and Gan relationship.

Rodney
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Rodney wrote:

Paul Darrow aske us to decide whether Blake's crew - in Series 1 and 2 - was a group of freedom-fighters or terrorists. What do people think of this provocative question?!

imo Blake and Cally were terrorists, because their MO was destruction, so I suppose everyone else is too by association; but I don't apply the tag to any of the other crew members as individuals.

I agree, although I think only Gan could be described as a genuinely good guy in the first two series. The others exist in a grey are between good and bad.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 06 January 2015 15:24:34
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Frankymole
Rodney wrote:

I agree, although I think only Gan could be described as a genuinely good guy in the first two series.
Not according to "Liberation", which reckons he's a psychotic mysoginistic murderer/rapist only held in check by the Limiter Implant.

Vila's got a good heart generally. He only robs from strangers and villains (Bayban), for a start...

Rodney
but Gan normally provides the moral conscience while Vila is busy fantasising about Space City, Freedom City etc.
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

trevor travis
Frankymole wrote:Not according to "Liberation", which reckons he's a psychotic mysoginistic murderer/rapist only held in check by the Limiter Implant.

And as a theory, it's complete nonsense refuted by numerous episodes, as the vast majority of time Gan's limiter is inactive and he doesn't seem much of a mass murderer to me.

The same theory from the same writing team appears in "The Mark Of Kane". As much as I like "Mark Of Kane", I simply ignore about the bit about Gan, because it's nonsense Pfft
Edited by trevor travis on 06 January 2015 13:20:17

President Solvite
In the Mark of Kane, it's only one thug's unreliable comment on Gan being the 'cat strangler' or whatever. I don't put much weight in it. The Mark of Kane is a superb story nevertheless and I think can be explained away as typical Federation rumour/propaganda whatever..

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
rojkerr1
Thanks guys, pleased the Mark of kane is still enjoyed and provokes debate! Someone recently told me they think of Logic of Empire as the missing 53rd episode, which is incredibly flattering. The idea of Gan as a murderer was interesting I think, based on David Jacksons wonderful performance in Breakdown, when he slips effortlessly into the persona of a killer. David Jackson thought it was an excellent twist on the character, that you could like the person he had become because of the limiter, but hate the person he used to be. Mr Jackson was a real science fiction fan, he loved Asimovs stories etc

President Solvite
Hmm I think JMS borrowed this concept off you when he wrote the third season Babylon 5 episode Passing through Gethsemane.

It explores very similar concepts that you (roj) are talking about here.. (I may be confused with dates perhaps its the other way around but in any case..)

Wiki Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_Through_Gethsemane

Both examples are very good stories, that I can rewatch/relisten to on a regular basis. Smile

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
rojkerr1
u probably right!

lemon
Last weekend was very sad to tears when my family and I watched the Gan's death in Pressure Point. He is a good, moral and honest character, was loved by almost all other members of the crew and so they risked their lives for him in Breakdown.
So it's a pity that very little is known about his past life, and the character is not developed. I waiting for his revenge (not in killing way of course) to guard who kill his woman.
Was his death necessary? I know that it was a decision the producers to kill someone from the crew, to show that they can not always win. But it was so clear after the mass executions in Way back and Servalan's ability be one step forward, which is not would easy win. And now it seems Gan's death made a big change in the attitude of the group.

JustBrad
In terms of Gan: His backstory seems to be missing something. Given what we know of the Federation Security Forces, and their eagerness to use force first, it seems odd that Gan managed to kill a security guard and live to stand trial and be exiled. Surely his case should have ended, 'Shot resitting arrest.'

That shallow back story has given rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories.

Anniew
I think Gan's death is an early warning that in the Blakes7 Universe no good deed goes unpunished!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
lemon wrote:

Was his death necessary? I know that it was a decision the producers to kill someone from the crew, to show that they can not always win.

And to reduce the wage bill of the regular cast...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,940,550 unique visits since 8th January 2014