Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 1
Travisina

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Vila Restal
Spaceresearcher
Guess I should add the full name of the other characters but I'm sure other fans will do it for me anyway.

At first he seems like a complete fool, but there's more sly wit, charm and intelligence to Vila than people realise.

Spaceresearcher
Wow, one of the coolest of all Blakes 7 characters and so little discussion. I'm amazed.

A great new Vila line has appeared in the new Big Finish episode 'Fractures'. (not 100% accurate, just from memory)

AVON: I'm going to talk to Orac.
[Avon walks off to do so]
VILA: That'll be a conversation of wit and reparte.

Love it.

GoldChannel
I love Vila!

(sorry, latecomer to this section of the forum lol)

He is so much cleverer than others think, as brilliantly evidenced by the way he pretends (convincingly) to be drunk in 'Stardrive' as as to avoid getting the job of fixing the engines!

I get the impression that his upbringing and early life was one where you hide your cleverness in order to avoid being singled out.

prosperoproject
Vila Restal is quite simply the best human character in the series. He is witty, bright, cheeky and brave - he is the ideal everyman character that people can relate to. He finished with a selfless act of bravery and he was my childhood hero. Frown

Travisina
He's my favourite character. I love the moment in 'City' when Norl says that Vila is "a clever man, and brave".
Bravery isn't doing things when you're highly motivated or unafraid, it's about being scared and doing them anyway.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
Vila is the character that is most real. His actions are the most natural. And he is brilliantly played by Michael Keating, one of the most underused and underrated actors in BBC history.

BradPaula
How can you not love Vila? And Michael is one of best actors of our age. And a very nice man, too. His 'definitive' impression of Avon at RTGP One was uncanny. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

paulm
prosperoproject wrote:

Vila Restal is quite simply the best human character in the series. He is witty, bright, cheeky and brave - he is the ideal everyman character that people can relate to. He finished with a selfless act of bravery and he was my childhood hero. Frown

yep agree with that

Lurena
Oh yes, I absolutely love the Vila character!
Blakes 7 and even Kerr Avon would be nowhere without Vila.

And Michael is a very talented actor indeed!

Vila is intelligent and brave but often tries to avoid being involved in some actions, if you ask me, I think, at times, Vila can be more self-interested than Avon is...
discussion?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Hugbot
Lurena wrote:

I think, at times, Vila can be more self-interested than Avon is...discussion?

No discussion, as I totally agree. His self-interest showed up quite early in Time Squad ("Why are we going there? I mean, I feel for them, but we got problems of our own.") and in particular in Orbit, when he callously talks about knocking out some planets for target practice in order to get a diamond palace and a guard of 1,000 hand-picked scantily clad maidens. Another very obvious situation is in Volcano, after the Feds have captured Orac and Cally. Avon states that it is all a mess (and when you look at his face, you can see that he is really worried about Cally), while Vila cheerfully proclaims: "Never mind! We're still here!"

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to imply that Vila is a ruthless Super-Avon. He is my favourite character, and I can relate to his human weaknesses very well. But I think it's good that they did not make him too cute but gave him this somewhat sinister streak of (un-enlightened) self-interest.

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Lurena wrote:

I think, at times, Vila can be more self-interested than Avon is...discussion?

No discussion, as I totally agree. His self-interest showed up quite early in Time Squad ("Why are we going there? I mean, I feel for them, but we got problems of our own."Wink and in particular in Orbit, when he callously talks about knocking out some planets for target practice in order to get a diamond palace and a guard of 1,000 hand-picked scantily clad maidens. Another very obvious situation is in Volcano, after the Feds have captured Orac and Cally. Avon states that it is all a mess (and when you look at his face, you can see that he is really worried about Cally), while Vila cheerfully proclaims: "Never mind! We're still here!"

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to imply that Vila is a ruthless Super-Avon. He is my favourite character, and I can relate to his human weaknesses very well. But I think it's good that they did not make him too cute but gave him this somewhat sinister streak of (un-enlightened) self-interest.

I agree. Vila's a bit sinister in 'The Way Back' and in 'Space Fall' suggests killing Avon on the basis of nothing but speculation by the others. Definitely got a bit of a dark side, that may go beyond his (very understandable) instinct for self preservation. And I'm saying this as a Vila fan!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Space Chopper
Absolutely loved Vila, he always had the most quotable dialogue, with the possible exception of Kerr Avon- although the best dialogue from either was usually in conversation/sparring with each other! By far my favourite and his best episode is The City At The Edge Of The World.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Grade Four Ignorant
What I like best about Vila is that his real useful quality to Blake and Avon is his paranoia and scepticism.

Blake and Cally are usually blinded by altruism and somebody like Tarrant will go storming in if there's a pretty woman to rescue. Vila will always ask the most important question about any situation - is it safe?

It's even noted by Avon in Gold that Vila's mistrust serves him well as it often leads to him being right.

Ela
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Guess I should add the full name of the other characters but I'm sure other fans will do it for me anyway.

At first he seems like a complete fool, but there's more sly wit, charm and intelligence to Vila than people realise.

The one thing I never thought about Vila was that he's a fool. He's a great character.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Ela wrote:

The one thing I never thought about Vila was that he's a fool. He's a great character.

Most definately no fool - imo an actual fool could not convince so many people that he is such so effectively.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
Vila is a joy to watch. He certainly is not the person he wants us to think he is. And imo, he's the best acted of the lot. Michael makes Vila so human, so three-dimensional, his acting is seamless.

Ela
BradPaula wrote:

Vila is a joy to watch. He certainly is not the person he wants us to think he is. And imo, he's the best acted of the lot. Michael makes Vila so human, so three-dimensional, his acting is seamless.

Absolutely.

Ellen York
BradPaula wrote:

Vila is adorable (and judging from photos I have seen, Michael is still adorable). When I was a kid, Vila didn't make much of an impression on me, but I have come to appreciate him. And I agree that is is the acting that makes the character. Vila could have been played as creepy, but Michael made him very human and likeable.

JannaKalderash
Vila struck me as being underused and underappreciated during the run of the series.

He wasn't one of the best educated formally speaking, but he knew people, and he knew that most people couldn't be trusted to be interested in anything that didn't net them a profit. That's why he got along with Avon in the beginning. He knew what made Avon tick.

It didn't stop him from needling him most of the time though.

He was what is considered a back-door genius; able to think not only out of the box, but also on his feet. Even if he did bungle things once in a while....okay, most of the time, at least in the first two seasons.

BradPaula
@Janna: I don't know if you are a fan of the Big Finish Blake's 7 line of audios- but we are lucky in that the writers are doing a fine job with the characters and some of the latest audios have featured Vila in new and different ways and it's been a joy to listen to our actors reprise their own roles after so many years. If you stay on the Forum for any amount of time the one thing you will realize is that I am a tireless Big Finish fan and promoter! -Paula

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,946,372 unique visits since 8th January 2014