Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Vila Restal
Travisina
JannaKalderash wrote:

Vila struck me as being underused and underappreciated during the run of the series.

That may be because his crew mates weren't around when he was at his best - figuring out how to open the vault in City, and instinctively knowing what steps needed to be taken to save the Liberator and Zen in Terminal - and when that proved to be too little too late, he still managed to save Orac.*

And I wholeheartedly endorse what Paula says about the Big Finish Audios.

*Which I bet he regretted, after the Orbit shuttle incident!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
JannaKalderash wrote:
Vila struck me as being underused and underappreciated during the run of the series.

But isn't that the way that Vila wanted it himself? To keep a low profile and leave the heroics/risks to the others, and only show his true self when he really needed to.

Vila's a great character.

Frankymole
Yes indeed - lying low is a survival trait of Vila's. And Avon admitted that Vila's supposed "cowardice" (in reality extreme caution) frequently made him right. Vila survived right to the end - including in "Orbit" where others might have been caught and killed by Avon - showing his approach was not better or worse than the heroics of the others - and indeed cleverer than the futile heroics of many rebels who died along the way, from Nova to Dr Plaxton.

Grade Four Ignorant
This and the next few posts about Vila’s character are moved from the discussion thread on the episode Blake - SD.

sweevo wrote:

By that point in the series, the central characters were Avon and Vila, so any backstory on any other character was a Godsend.

I'd even say by this point, and especially in Season C, Vila got very little to do except operate the teleport. And by Season D especially he was just the comedy drunk. He does get moments to shine but a lot of his scenes end up with him being bullied by either Dayna or Tarrant.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 03 August 2015 21:22:26

JustBrad
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

I'd even say by this point, and especially in Season C, Vila got very little to do except operate the teleport. And by Season D especially he was just the comedy drunk. He does get moments to shine but a lot of his scenes end up with him being bullied by either Dayna or Tarrant.

It is a far cry from the slightly dark and slightly dangerous Vila we see in S1.

trevor travis
There’s only one episode where the characterisation of Vila really annoys me – and that’s “Voice From The Past”, in which Vila is tricked far too easily by Blake, and Vila acts like a buffoon throughout the episode.

rojkerr1
the bit where Vila talks to Blake in the Way Back, Vila comes over as a borderline psycho, I just don't stay adjusted... v interesting! And when he whistles at the guard before shooting him in Games...

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

There’s only one episode where the characterisation of Vila really annoys me – and that’s “Voice From The Past”, in which Vila is tricked far too easily by Blake, and Vila acts like a buffoon throughout the episode.

I concur. One of several reasons I dislike that ep.

Grade Four Ignorant
I think a worse offender is Ultraworld where their escape from the Ultra hinges on Vila being a total idiot.

Anniew
There's an inconsistency in the way Vila is characterised: penal colony 14 and again at start of series so clearly a recidivist and a survivor; highly intelligent and hiding it ( Sarcophagus lady), buffoon. The celebrity he resembles to me is Keith Floyd the TV chef- highly skilled and intelligent, often a buffoon , everybody's friend and alchoholic. alcoholism would explain the discrepancies and I think now that Vila is an alchoholic. It explains things like dropping the gun ( space fall -the shakes) ; all the times he falls asleep . The moments of childish idiocy. Like Floyd he periodically goes on the wagon - or is made to by Blake or Avon but falls off it again. Like all heavy drinkers he is charming and fun to be with on the good days. Morose and bitter on the bad.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Grade Four Ignorant
I hate to derail this thread further into Vila territory, but I don't think Vila develops a dependency on drugs until about the third season. I don't think we see him drunk in the first two seasons - and it's only in Horizon that he discovers Adrenalin & Soma. But after the stresses of losing his one shot of happiness with Kerrill, as well as his general boredom and disdain for Tarrant and Dayna's bullying, do we start to see him reach more and more for a bottle when he's alone.

Anniew
Would have to have dried out in detention. He would start to drink within reason during season 1 and 2 but eventually it would get out of control.

Anniew
Again!

mrsbookmark
If this thread is still active: I was rewatching The Way Back after our rewatch and I noticed that Vila mentioned having been worked on/therapy stuff to stop stealing. In the context of
Sarcophagus, where it's implied that Vila is way smarter than he pretends, and in the audio dram Solitary where he talk about wanting to be Robin Hood, I'm starting to wonder if Vila was reworked at some point, like Blake, and has a deeper past.

Travisina
That's certainly the implication in the earlier episodes - Vila has quite a dark streak in TWB and Spacefall and hints are dropped throughout the series about his past (eg 'I chose the wrong parents' ) as well as the Sarcophagus Alien perceiving that he's highly intelligent. Big Finish have given him a lot more back story, but even if you stick to canon, there is a lot to consider. One of the reason's he's my fave character Smile

mrsbookmark
Travisina wrote:

That's certainly the implication in the earlier episodes - Vila has quite a dark streak in TWB and Spacefall and hints are dropped throughout the series about his past (eg 'I chose the wrong parents' ) as well as the Sarcophagus Alien perceiving that he's highly intelligent. Big Finish have given him a lot more back story, but even if you stick to canon, there is a lot to consider. One of the reason's he's my fave character Smile

I think this time around on the rewatch, I'm going to think more about the episodes from the Vila POV. Isn't he the only character on every episode?

Travisina
mrsbookmark wrote:

I think this time around on the rewatch, I'm going to think more about the episodes from the Vila POV. Isn't he the only character on every episode?

Yes, indeed. The only one to appear in all 52 eps.

peladon
Personally I dont think Vila is an alcoholic. But he is a survivor who will use all sorts of devices to stay alive and out of damnger.

Travisina
peladon wrote:

Personally I dont think Vila is an alcoholic. But he is a survivor who will use all sorts of devices to stay alive and out of damnger.

I agree. Vila likes to drink, but we only occasionally see him drunk (Warlord) or hungover (Shadow), and one of his best scenes is where he only pretends to be drunk (Stardrive).

dragonq
Too much is made of Vila's drinking. In fact, his drinking really only gets out of control in the final series. They've lost Liberator, Cally is dead, Gan is dead, Blake and Jenna are gone, Avon's clearly losing his grip on reality, and the other three crew members treat Vila with contempt. He's a smart man, and can see where all this is heading. This is the point at which he goes on the bottle; but there's no evidence to suggest that he had a problem when he joined the crew. I imagine prior to this he might have got plastered from time to time, but that there was no dependency.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.56 seconds
9,171,479 unique visits since 8th January 2014