Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

 Print Thread
Nov 2016 Fanfic Challenge
Travisina
Thanks, Brad!

Great story, littlesue - and super pic by Lurena! I love the way Blakes Revels continues to run and run!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
Anniew
Yay a revels story with illustrations. Hurray.

And Travisina - that's a great and nicely ironic back story for Nova. Wasn't until nearly the end I realised it wasn't about treachery. Very moving and sad.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
littlesue
Thank you for your lovely comments...
...now to something just a little more serious.
It amazes me that after all these years we still remember the minor characters.
I can recall watching The Way Back and going 'Oh No' when the camera pulled back and there were the two lawyers laying dead on the ground and Mr Tarrant (no relation, at least, we don't think so!) saying 'A tragic shuttle accident I think.' (Or words to that effect!)
That made me realise that we weren't in for a nice cosy ride a la Star Trek...
And then Spacefall, and that nice young man who only wanted to help...

Passing Memory

I wonder if they will remember me?
I so wanted to help, be part of Blake’s quest for freedom.
Maybe I should have let Vila go instead of putting myself forward.
That way it would have been him caught in this crawl space.
It would have been him trying to cover up those holes that appeared in the outer hull.
It would have been him screaming as the bulkhead doors slid shut, isolating this small part from the rest of the ship.
Screaming as the sealing foam enveloped him; encasing his legs, body and arms, until it finally sealed his mouth, nose and eyes.
But it wasn’t.
It was me, Nova. I just wanted to do something; anything.....
The screams are no more.
The air has gone; my life is draining away and I am alone; scared here in this solid mass.
Will they come to look for me?
Will Blake even think about me?
I so wanted to help, be part of his great scheme, but now I’m just part of this ship; the London.
No doubt I will be found, eventually, and cast aside as they check for damage and find my tomb.
Those people won’t know me.
They will wonder.
But they won’t care.
Did Blake care?
Did any of them care?
Or was Blake’s promise of freedom so alluring?
I must accept my fate, here in this crawl space, sealed up forever.
I want to cry, but can’t, the tears will not come.
But I can still think, for a second at least, and I wonder...
..... will they remember me?
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
Ellen York
Poor Nova. All the angst is making me sad. Fortunately the Rebel Revels lightens the mood (I need to track down some of these candies). The picture of Servalan captures her perfectly.
 
Rainesz
BradPaula wrote:

@purplecleric- first, thanks for all the wonderful prompts. I've been otherwise occupied of late and have not had time to participate but I hope to soon. But this month's prompt- TREASON. Oh, you are taking a chance there with the few Americans on the Forum! How many volumes do you want? lol I think I can write the equal of Crime and Punishment on this hot topic myself! Grin


Yes, I agree! I don't think I can contribute since I can't seem to keep the fics at 500 words or under. And this prompt is a mighty one. Wink (War and Peace, anyone?) Ah well...
 
Rainesz
@Anniew: excellent character study of a musing, intoxicated Vila thinking about karma. And he's actually rationalizing the events of Orbit. I love it.

@Littlesue: Servalan and candy !! YES. ("Candy" yes, being American...) Another superb drawing by Lurena! Grin

And then a beautiful heartbreaking Nova narrative.

Speaking of heartbreaking: Excellent, @Travisina. Oh the irony. Poor Nova, trying to help. "I'm not going to die?" Ah...! And great explanation for his name.

@Joe-- like Hugbot I had some initial confusion with the dialect, (Apologies: again, being American and all that...) but THEN I got it. Grin Very clever wordplay!
Edited by Rainesz on 25 November 2016 19:01:25
 
Rainesz
Here's my latest attempt (Yay! It's shorter! Well, a little...) with Nova, "treason" and grumpy Avon.

Subversive

"So your name is Avon," grinned the annoying young prisoner.

Avon offered him a brief side-glance. "Thank you for reminding me. I might have completely forgotten otherwise."

"Sorry," continued the young man cheerily, "I didn't want to get off on the wrong foot, seeing that we might be working together."

The computer expert gave him an even more dangerous glacial stare. "Is that so?"

"Yes! I'm Nova." He proffered his hand which Avon ignored. However, it did not deter him from blathering. "You're Avon and I'm Nova, it's--"

"A palindrome. Yes, how amusing. Why are you still here?"

"Right. I can see you're not a people person. But... it's this man Roj Blake. I like him, I trust him and I think he can get us all out of here. If we can take the London, then we could all find another ship to steal, yeah?"

Avon's patience was at its most brittle. "And besides the London, what other magical ship is going to appear for that to happen?"

"Oh, I don't know. I have a hunch and call this crazy--"

"Oh, I was indeed thinking along those lines."

"--but I have a good feeling that miracles can happen. I think Roj Blake has luck on his side. And I believe in him."

Avon stared at a nearby wall, grinding his teeth. "Well, that makes you and Blake matching idiots. What he needs is cunning. And intelligence, which I find is sorely lacking in my present company. May I ask what heinous crime you committed in order to provide me with such stimulating conversation today?"

"Treason," laughed Nova.

Avon's lifted eyebrows showed his disbelief.

"Well, that's what they called distributing subversive literature that criticized a certain prominent and corrupt politician. I think you might guess which one."

"There are so many to choose from," muttered Avon, "I can't imagine which one personally got his or her feelings hurt by your little pamphlets. And I don't care." Was this tiresome puppy never going to leave him alone? "And after what's happened to you, you're still maintaining the future looks rosy?"

Nova shrugged. "Look. I'm just saying-- things can surprise you."

"Highly unlikely. Now why don't you go off and be an optimistic irritant somewhere else?"

As he turned to walk away, Nova grinned once more and patted Avon companionably on the shoulder. The older man glared in revulsion after him, wiping at his shoulder with his hand.

He never saw Nova again, which should have been a relief.

***

Aboard the beautiful alien ship, Avon could not help an ironic grin. "Well now, the subversive palindrome was actually right about something."

Blake and Jenna both gave him looks of puzzlement.

Avon lifted an eyebrow and supplied: "Nova. The youngster. Don't you remember? He told me..." He stopped himself. "It doesn't matter. Have you forgotten about him already?"

Blake rubbed at his chin. "Whatever did happen to him...? Was he on Cygnus Alpha?" He looked at Jenna, who shrugged.

"Not keeping track of your supporters? You fools deserve each other," Avon snarled.

"Now I'm very curious. What exactly did Nova tell you?" Blake asked, folding his arms.

"A fairy tale," Avon murmured. "About things working out for the best. You can imagine my skepticism."
Edited by Rainesz on 25 November 2016 17:58:39
 
sooper mouse
isn't Avon in his late 20s/early 30s?
otherwise, nice piece Rainesz.

"go be an optimistic irritant somewhere else"
I a, going to use that. A lot
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.
 
sooper mouse
littlesue wrote:

Thank you for your lovely comments...
...now to something just a little more serious.
It amazes me that after all these years we still remember the minor characters.
I can recall watching The Way Back and going 'Oh No' when the camera pulled back and there were the two lawyers laying dead on the ground and Mr Tarrant (no relation, at least, we don't think so!) saying 'A tragic shuttle accident I think.' (Or words to that effect!)
That made me realise that we weren't in for a nice cosy ride a la Star Trek...
And then Spacefall, and that nice young man who only wanted to help...

Passing Memory

I wonder if they will remember me?
I so wanted to help, be part of Blake’s quest for freedom.
Maybe I should have let Vila go instead of putting myself forward.
That way it would have been him caught in this crawl space.
It would have been him trying to cover up those holes that appeared in the outer hull.
It would have been him screaming as the bulkhead doors slid shut, isolating this small part from the rest of the ship.
Screaming as the sealing foam enveloped him; encasing his legs, body and arms, until it finally sealed his mouth, nose and eyes.
But it wasn’t.
It was me, Nova. I just wanted to do something; anything.....
The screams are no more.
The air has gone; my life is draining away and I am alone; scared here in this solid mass.
Will they come to look for me?
Will Blake even think about me?
I so wanted to help, be part of his great scheme, but now I’m just part of this ship; the London.
No doubt I will be found, eventually, and cast aside as they check for damage and find my tomb.
Those people won’t know me.
They will wonder.
But they won’t care.
Did Blake care?
Did any of them care?
Or was Blake’s promise of freedom so alluring?
I must accept my fate, here in this crawl space, sealed up forever.
I want to cry, but can’t, the tears will not come.
But I can still think, for a second at least, and I wonder...
..... will they remember me?

that's just something else

wow.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.
 
Rainesz
sooper mouse wrote:

isn't Avon in his late 20s/early 30s?
otherwise, nice piece Rainesz.

"go be an optimistic irritant somewhere else"
I a, going to use that. A lot


Thank you so much!! Grin
Well, Paul Darrow was a little closer to 40 (about 37?) in his first episode of Blake's 7. So Avon's a bit older than Nova. (Why he's being a little condescending to him in my story. Well... VERY condescending, actually. Wink )
Edited by Rainesz on 25 November 2016 19:29:57
 
Travisina
Great story, Rainesz! I like the way you've risen to the challenge by using both prompts in one story - I've been trying to do that, but not always succeeding. It's a good portrayal of Avon, and again shows how quickly Nova is forgotten (or never mentioned again) by those for whom he sacrificed his life.

@Littlesue - 'Passing Memory' is likewise very moving.

Poor Nova.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
sooper mouse
Rainesz wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

isn't Avon in his late 20s/early 30s?
otherwise, nice piece Rainesz.

"go be an optimistic irritant somewhere else"
I a, going to use that. A lot


Thank you so much!! Grin
Well, Paul Darrow was a little closer to 40 (about 37?) in his first episode of Blake's 7. So Avon's a bit older than Nova. (Why he's being a little condescending to him in my story. Well... VERY condescending, actually. Wink )


Avon is condescending to everybody because he's Avon and they aren't.
Agewise, Paul looked good for his age in s1 and 2 (yum)and barely starting to look his real age in s3.
But I had a feeling Blake( and probably Vila) was in his mid-30s and Avon late 20s early 30s while Nova seemeed to be in his early 20s- he seemed like a young idealist.

But yeah, you caught the Avon by the horns, I can almost hear the snarls Smile
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.
 
Rainesz
Travisina wrote:

Great story, Rainesz! I like the way you've risen to the challenge by using both prompts in one story - I've been trying to do that, but not always succeeding. It's a good portrayal of Avon, and again shows how quickly Nova is forgotten (or never mentioned again) by those for whom he sacrificed his life.

@Littlesue - 'Passing Memory' is likewise very moving.

Poor Nova.


Thank you, Travisina! Smile It's always fun to write snarky Avon. Wink

And yes, poor, poor Nova. I just watched "Space Fall" again last night and it's still heart-wrenching that no one goes back to check on him. It's especially sadder now after having read everyone's sad stories about him here. (@LittleSue, again, you killed me with yours.)
 
Anniew
Rainez and Little Sue you've both done Nova proud!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
Anniew
The bold rebel says it's not treason.
He kills and plants bombs for a reason.
But his choice of Star One
As a target to bomb
Casts doubt on this stalwart position.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

The bold rebel says it's not treason.
He kills and plants bombs for a reason.
But his choice of Star One
As a target to bomb
Casts doubt on this stalwart position.


ohh, that's good Smile
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.
 
Anniew
Thank you!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
trevor travis
He remembered coming to life on Emirp Aduag as the Sdraug Noitaredef sucked the bullets out of his body.

He noticed the body he was straddling, and used the large gun in his hands to mend the gaping hole in Ekalb’s stomach.

He didn’t see Ekalb for a long time after that. Instead he spent a few years on Oiprocs, bringing many people to life, including quite a few scientists.

After that there was life on Rotarebil and eventually a reunion with Ekalb. They spent a few years putting Noitaredef military installations back together. His specialty was taking computer equipment and making it non-functioning.

After the long journey back to Htrae on the Nodnol, he was parted with Ekalb for the final time.

All the time, he looked forward to the great day that he would retreat back into his mother’s womb. He grew shorter and younger, as the man turned into a teen and then into a young boy.

Then the day of disaster – the day which would change everything. He was with his parents on a spaceship when they encountered the ‘Ecaps Ni Gniht Ylbbiw Egnaro’.

***

He awoke, to find his parents lifeless. He looked at their broken bodies, and he could not understand why he could not bring them back to life.

He dropped his teddy and it fell to the floor – that shouldn’t happen. Furthermore, when he held his hand out, his teddy wouldn’t rise off the floor into his hands.

***

Fortunately, the wreckage of the ship was discovered by a nice family, who looked after him. He didn’t understand their words, but gradually picked up their language.

And there was no doubt it, he was getting taller. How could that be? Finally he worked out the truth. The dreadful truth.

***

He hated it. He hated life this way around. And he fell in with a bad crowd, and was arrested and deported to Cygnus Alpha. Why did that name seem oddly familiar? He only realised as he was escorted onto the familiar surroundings of the Nodnol, or rather the London, as it was known in this universe.

He knew it would be very different, but he looked forward to life on the… not the Rotarebil… the Liberator!

But a couple of things were wrong. Very wrong. Firstly, his age. He was around twenty years younger than he should be.

And then there was him.

His alter ego. Avon. The same person. He realised that everyone was in this universe – including himself. He started to worry. The longer they were together, the older he become, the more he and Avon would look alike.

He noticed Avon looking at him a few times. Of course, he would have been curious about the lad who looked just like him when he was 16.

He decided he would worry about with the problem at a later date. In the meantime, he was delighted to be reunited with Blake and the others.

So delighted that he couldn’t wait to contribute. Happier than he’d been since he’d entered this dreadful backwards universe, Nova crawled around the service channel on the London…
Edited by trevor travis on 28 November 2016 21:20:43
 
Anniew
TT. Wow!!! Just wow!!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

So delighted that he couldn’t wait to contribute. Happier than he’d been since he’d entered this dreadful backwards universe, Nova crawled around the service channel on the London…


oh wow.............. that is breathtakingly awesome.
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.76 seconds
9,143,038 unique visits since 8th January 2014