Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Nov 2016 Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
Ah, November! Government is a hot topic this month with the presidential elections in the US. And in the UK, we will be setting fire to wooden edifices and letting off explosions on November 5th to commemorate the Gunpowder Plot.

This month's word prompt is ... TREASON

Plenty of examples of treason, treachery and betrayal to explore in Blakes7 or maybe you could invent more?

After the great success of Og-tober, I suggest we dedicate this month to another minor character. In honour of Nova-mber, write a ficlet about a young man who volunteered to further the cause of freedom only to die ignobly in bubble bath.

Joe Dredd
Yorkies 7

"Why did thou do it, our Avon?"

Avon rolled the flat cap around on his head as if nowt had been said. He turned to the super computer beside him. "Aye up, wee Orac."

"Wha' is it naw?"

"Be a grand sport 'n switch ont' telly."

The TV flared into life, startling the whippets. Avon could see nowt though because of the gurt hairy horned fellow in front of him.

"Ee, art o' t' way, Clog!"

The other man was insistent. The whole world had gone croggy and he no longer cared about things like the riddle why t' Tyke worn't starvin' on asteroid. (A: It was a parkin meteor.)

"But why our Avon? Why? Us'll ha' to bury Blake."

Avon put down his dominos and supped his jar.

"'Cos."

"'Cos?"

"Aye, 'at wor t'reason."

Joe Dredd
(With apologies for the subliminal pizza advertising.)

Anniew
Ficlets for sale or rent
Jokes to share, fifty cents
A man to rate in all ways
Joe's King of the puns!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
Anniew wrote:

Ficlets for sale or rent
Joe's King of the puns!

Oh Annie, you gave me an earworm for that song for the entire afternoon! Oops
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
Puntastic opening salvo, JD! Grin

trevor travis
purplecleric wrote:
In honour of Nova-mber

I'm already thinking ahead to Dev-ember Grin

I've got a Nova-mber idea, but I need to have a think about how to develop it... it won't be a TT first of the month story Wink

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

Puntastic opening salvo, JD! Grin

Indeed - the last pun had me groaning and chuckling at the same time Wink

Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:

Ficlets for sale or rent
Joe's King of the puns!

Old worn out jokes and puns,
Thinking hard, I don't do none.
I smoke a bit when I walk fast, watch TV all from the past
I'm a has of the beens...frog should be 'towed'!

Sorry, I can't sing as well as Annie. (She's so good they named a musical after her.)

Anniew
SmileSmileSmile

ruth_dw
purplecleric wrote:

Ah, November! Government is a hot topic this month with the presidential elections in the US. And in the UK, we will be setting fire to wooden edifices and letting off explosions on November 5th to commemorate the Gunpowder Plot.

This month's word prompt is ... TREASON

Plenty of examples of treason, treachery and betrayal to explore in Blakes7 or maybe you could invent more?

After the great success of Og-tober, I suggest we dedicate this month to another minor character. In honour of Nova-mber, write a ficlet about a young man who volunteered to further the cause of freedom only to die ignobly in bubble bath.

What are the challenge rules, if any? Are they pinned anywhere?

Travisina
ruth_dw wrote:
What are the challenge rules, if any? Are they pinned anywhere?

The only rules are:

1. Stories should be up to 500 words, but that isn't strictly enforced on the forum (as you will see if you read through some of the threads!). However, overlong stories can't be incorporated into the monthly collections in the fan-fic section (some of the 2015 collections can be found HERE )

2. Ideally, stories should at least try to meet the prompt challenges!

3. The website is family-friendly, so submissions should be up to PG-13.

No other rules. You can submit as many ficlets as you like, they can be set in any season (including PGP and AU) and feature any of the canon characters, or you can invent your own. Just join in and have fun!

Anniew
It's a pretty cheap watch, not like the one he stole from Blake. Now that one was worth keeping. This is one of those tacky imitations they sell in the Delta markets. He's peddled a few similar himself. The strap is made from mercerised cotton not plasticele or leather, impressive if you don't look too closely- the boy was probably attracted to its sheen. It's already fraying at the edges. And of course the watch doesn't keep accurate time. Not that any of this bothers its former owner. For him time stopped when he entered that service channel on the London. Wonder if he realised his watch was missing before he died?

It's almost, when he thinks about it, as if there's a kind of symmetry in the universe. What do you think about that Tarrant? Do you reckon there's a symmetry in the way our lives span out? Nah you can't even spell the word let alone understand what I mean. But...see... Avon/Nova. Two halves of the same bad penny? They enter the same service channel and only one of them survives. It's almost as if there wasn't room for both in our world - that one had to die so the other could live. Or something. Or perhaps suffocating in sealant gel was the karmic punishment for one and not the other. Well the kid had smothered his gran for her savings so you could say his fate was justified if harsh. Not that Vila's judging. They've all had to do some horrific things to survive. Perhaps his own recent near miss with the airlock is his karmic reward for suggesting all those years ago that they kill Avon for what he might do... Or perhaps there's no pattern - just minute by minute decisions which we think of as good or bad but which really were just what seemed necessary at the time.

Funny how philosophical he gets on the second bottle.

Anyway he keeps the watch. It reminds him that, bad though things are, they could always get worse. He'll never trust Avon again but at least he found a solution and they both live on to fight another day.

If this karmic thing has legs, then he guesses his fate will involve getting shot in the back...he still can't believe he actually stabbed Vargas' henchman - thinks of it as the knife going off in his hands. And Avon...well he'll die defending something he's been forced to believe in and serve the treacherous, doubting bastard right.

Meanwhile he's going to toast Nova's memory with a third bottle and try to live forever.

Cheers.
Edited by Anniew on 11 November 2016 16:35:41

Travisina
Annie, that's outstanding! Bravo.

BradPaula
@purplecleric- first, thanks for all the wonderful prompts. I've been otherwise occupied of late and have not had time to participate but I hope to soon. But this month's prompt- TREASON. Oh, you are taking a chance there with the few Americans on the Forum! How many volumes do you want? lol I think I can write the equal of Crime and Punishment on this hot topic myself! Grin

Anniew
So glad you liked the fic Travisina. And Paula - will await your fic with baited breath.....

Hugbot
purplecleric wrote:

After the great success of Og-tober, I suggest we dedicate this month to another minor character.

Wait, did you just call our hero a 'minor character'??? Pfft

@JD: Hilarious as always ... although I nearly missed the punchline trying to decipher the accent. (I do understand BBC English very well, but I had to watch All Creatures with English subtitles turned on. But I also have to turn on Standard German subtitles when watching a Bavarian film.)

@Anniew: Outstanding; a very absorbing insight into Vila's thoughts. I was amazed how many incidents of 'karmic symmetry' you spotted beyond the well-known Avon/Nova palindrome. It is always fascinating to see someone shedding new light on episodes we think to know by heart!

littlesue
And so it continues.....with piccie, once again, by Lurena.

A Case of Treason

“You will not discuss this with anyone. Is that clear?”
The two men nodded.
“Because, if you do,” continued Servalan, “I shall regard it as treason. And that, as you well know, is punishable by death.”
They nervously exchanged smiles and hurriedly made their exit.
“Treason, Ma’am?”
Servalan smiled as her up until now hidden ‘guest’ came into view, “Yes, Carnell, treason. Does that bother you?”
“Should it?” He sat down opposite her.
“That depends.”
“So why did you invite them here? Or would that be prying?”
“Those gentlemen were once responsible for supplying the Federation with some highly sought after confections...and then they were the victims of an audacious robbery.”
“Do they know by whom?”
“The only man they saw was highly confident, arrogant...rather like you, in fact.”
“Ma’am, I am mortified that you should even suspect me.”
“And then, suddenly, Space Commander Travis, I discover, is dealing on the black market with those very same stolen confections.”
“And you suspect him as being the perpetrator of this theft?”
“Travis? No. But somehow those responsible have made an agreement with him. To no avail, unfortunately.”
“Blake?”
“I don’t think so. Fraud and acquiring wealth is not Blake’s way.”
“Someone allied to Blake?”
“Possibly. Not that it matters. His plan has failed. Already any shortfall has been filled with other products. Besides, Mr Cad and Mr Bury have already produced something to keep the elite onside.”
Carnell’s gaze was drawn to two silver crates on the floor by Servalan’s desk.
“Oh no,” Servalan said, “Those do not contain the new confection. These contain the last of the two gentlemen’s supplies left behind by Blake and his crew.”
“It says rejects, Ma’am.”
“I know. Would you be so kind?”
He obliged and opened one of the crates only to be confronted by some very familiar packets.
He handed one to her.
“Would it be impudent of me to ask what exactly these rejects are?”
“Why not try one?”
She opened the packet and offered it to him.
“Forgive me, but no.”
“Really? Why, Carnell?”
“It is well known that one variety of these sweets is used to persuade the less than co-operative prisoners to be more obliging.”
“And that would be?”
Carnell tried to hide his disgust, “The coffee ones, Ma’am. Strong willed men have been known to crumble at the mere thought.”
“Are you saying that you are not strong willed?”
“I never claimed to be, but I would much rather not indulge, if that is agreeable?”
“Why, of course. You won’t tell anyone about this, will you Carnell?”
“About these rejects or Travis trying to defraud the Federation?”
“Both. Although whoever put Travis up to it will be most upset that the plan failed so miserably. As you will be should the knowledge that I have these cases become widely known.”
“Treason?” Carnell proffered.
“Treason,” Servalan replied, settling back into her sumptuous chair.
“May I be so bold as to ask why the secrecy?”
“All these rejects are coffee flavoured Revels.”
“Coffee? And you wish to keep these all to yourself?”
“Naturally.” She popped one of the sweets into her mouth, “I love coffee.”
i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/smallwondersue/Sweets-a%20case%20of%20treason%202_zpsttosic8r.jpg
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
New

He hears the window panel slide aside, then light floods his cell. He covers his eyes against the brightness; against the sickening realisation that he is about to die. But the cell door doesn't open, instead the guard's voice rasps, "Visitor!"

He blinks, his eyes watering, until he can see the lone figure standing outside. His sister.

He stumbles towards her and curls his fingers around the bars that separate them. "Have you come to say goodbye?"

She nods. She has dressed carefully, but her hair is disarrayed and her eyes are red. She gestures and the guard moves discreetly away.

"Mother... Father...?"

"They don't want to see you." She leans her head closer and lowers her voice. "Father has used all his remaining influence. The others will be executed, but your sentence has been commuted to exile on Cygnus Alpha."

"I'm not going to die?"

She gives a tearful smile. "Not today.”

"Thank Father from me." His voice shakes. “And tell him and Mother that I’m so very sorry.”

"Why did you do it, Mikos? You must have known who those men were."

"I suspected, but I wasn't sure. Their transport had broken down, I happened to be passing and helped fix the wheel. That's all."

"That was enough. Thanks to your help, they were able to use their transport to blow up a power plant. You were caught on vidtape by the agent who had infiltrated the group. He couldn't wait to report his discovery to the authorities – the son of a Senator aiding terrorists!"

"So the rebels were betrayed.”

"No, Mikki - they were brought to justice."

"It was a disused power plant. Nobody was hurt, apart from..."

"Apart from the security guard, doesn’t he matter? He had a family. You had a family. Father worked so hard to reach his position, now he's disgraced. Mother can't stop crying. You’re my big brother and I looked up to you, but you’ve brought shame on all of us."

"I'm sorry," he repeats. He can't think of anything else to say.

The guard approaches. "Time to go. The London has arrived, and the convicts are being shipped out tonight.”

She dries her eyes. "One last thing, Mikki. We're not allowed to talk about you any more. As far as the family is concerned, you no longer exist. And to protect Father's position in the Senate, your name has officially been changed. All logs and registers will show only your new name."

"What's it been changed to?"

"Nova. It's from an ancient language, it means 'New'. You’re getting a new life, and if you want to survive, perhaps in future you’ll think twice before volunteering to help.”

JustBrad
Good one, Travisina.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.46 seconds
9,188,880 unique visits since 8th January 2014