Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
15% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 96
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blake
Spaceresearcher
The character that for me actually had far more depth than Avon ever could. In fact it was Blake that made the story possible at all.

Spaceresearcher
Has anyone wondered how many resistance groups and names Blake recalled after his recovery from mind programming?

Grade Four Ignorant
I always figured that the paranoid, merciless Blake we saw on Gauda Prime was the Blake that knew Bran Foster. The Blake in Season A and B is a man slowly regaining his memories and original personality.

President Solvite
Paranoid and merciless? The Roj Blake didn't exhibit these characteristics for me in that episode. Battered yes and scheming, perhaps but the former no.

Yes I think he was scarred and war weary, who wouldn't in a similar situation with no 'Galactic UN' to appeal to? Fighting a war that is seemingly impossible to win, against a foe with almost limitless resources.

The Blake we see is an 'act', it is hard to determine what his true motives were but I don't think he is too different from the early Blake (apart from a few extra miles on the clock!) I think he is trying to reach his objectives more as a solo effort. Possibly due to the fact that having seen too many friends die in the struggle, he keeps his own company and a relative freedom to act as a freelance 'bounty hunter'. Although I suspect the bounties he chased had a particular motive. IE. to further his own goals - to recruit allies (for his planned army) or to hamper the Federation cause as best he can.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
trevor travis
A discussion on Blake really needs to be in the "Duel" section. Nothing seems to split B7 fandom down the middle quite as much as discussions on Blake. Angry

I find Blake full of faults. I guess everyone is; but it's just Blake puts himself out there as some idealised human being and then fails to meet those expectations.

Avon is a complete git, but never pretends to be anything else.

rojkerr1
Blake makes the series for me too, his tortured soul is the very heart of Blakes 7, even when lost, his presence is always there. he brings out the very best and the very worst in Avon. The most telling scene of the heart of blakes 7 is his monomaniacal pursuit of control in Pressure point, when he breaks into the vault, the we've done it swiftly turns to I've done it! And then Avon is there as he almost collapses. I think Avon finds him fascinating and is appalled by him in even measure...

JustBrad
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

I always figured that the paranoid, merciless Blake we saw on Gauda Prime was the Blake that knew Bran Foster. The Blake in Season A and B is a man slowly regaining his memories and original personality.

Interesting take worth thinking about, but I'm almost 180 degrees from that. For me, the Blake we see in Spacefall and Cygnus Alpha is the Blake Bran Foster knew. The Blake of Blake is what he devolved into as he lost his idealism and faith in humanity. Paranoid, yes. Delusional, yes. Burned out, yes. So full of grief and anger and regret* that he can no longer feel anything, perhaps. Perhaps even ruthless, but not merciless.

*Regret, but not doubt. Blake never doubted himself, his cause, or his methods, and therein lies his weakness.

President Solvite
trevor travis wrote:

A discussion on Blake really needs to be in the "Duel" section. Nothing seems to split B7 fandom down the middle quite as much as discussions on Blake. Angry

I find Blake full of faults. I guess everyone is; but it's just Blake puts himself out there as some idealised human being and then fails to meet those expectations.
*SNIP*.

I disagree on both counts.

We have had and indeed are having a reasonable thread on Blake without it needing to go to Duel.
I also don't see Blake either being presented or being presented as an 'ideal human being' whatever that might mean.

I only seem him being portrayed as a victim who gets lucky and is able to deliver a little pay back to his (and others oppressors)

@ Brad..

Doubt in his cause... I'm not sure, Blake does seem more heavily laiden with thoughts and distractions in the final episode. To be honest I think this is what makes him more in touch with his humanity than the Blake we see in TWB.

'I'm not sure anymore' speaks volumes to me. I think he has switched from being an idealist to a realist. Which I think was GT's view at the time (and in many interviews later)

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Spaceship Dispatcher
Agree with Brad; the Blake that Bran Foster knew was a man who people identified with and were drawn towards. Certainly it was my impression that Bran viewed Blake as a friend and someone that he was used to talking with as an equal. If it were the case that Blake was 'paranoid and merciless' at that time, an aggresor like Travis but of the opposite political persuasion, then I don't see that being the case. No, imo the apparently open and approachable person that we see in s1 was the Blake of the original rebellion.

edit: Of course, behind his outward personality is a single minded man who seeks his own way most of the time whatever the views of others might be, but that's not how he comes across face to face.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
President Solvite wrote:

We have had and indeed are having a reasonable thread on Blake without it needing to go to Duel.

Just going by past experience on discussions about Blake CoolGrin

President Solvite wrote:

I also don't see Blake either being presented or being presented as an 'ideal human being' whatever that might mean.

BLAKE: "No! Not until free men can think and speak. Not until power is back with the honest man."
AVON: "Have you ever met an honest man?"
JENNA: [Glances at Blake] "Perhaps."

Blake considers himself as "the honest man" (he uses the word first); he clearly wants to be placed on a pedestal.

Once you're on a pedestal, there's only one way you can go...

trevor travis
rojkerr1 wrote:

Blake makes the series for me too, his tortured soul is the very heart of Blakes 7, even when lost, his presence is always there. he brings out the very best and the very worst in Avon. The most telling scene of the heart of blakes 7 is his monomaniacal pursuit of control in Pressure point, when he breaks into the vault, the we've done it swiftly turns to I've done it! And then Avon is there as he almost collapses. I think Avon finds him fascinating and is appalled by him in even measure...

It is the moment we finally see the real Blake for the first time, the true man behind all those idealistic words. And it's not a pretty sight.

Blake is the second best politician in B7; the best being Servalan, of course.

Servalan as ruler of the galaxy is not pretty. Blake or Avon in charge would be nearly as bad.

I vote... for President Vila. Wink Everything would be in chaos, but it would be a hell of a lot of fun. Grin

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Agree with Brad; the Blake that Bran Foster knew was a man who people identified with and were drawn towards. Certainly it was my impression that Bran viewed Blake as a friend and someone that he was used to talking with as an equal. If it were the case that Blake was 'paranoid and merciless' at that time, an aggresor like Travis but of the opposite political persuasion, then I don't see that being the case. No, imo the apparently open and approachable person that we see in s1 was the Blake of the original rebellion.

edit: Of course, behind his outward personality is a single minded man who seeks his own way most of the time whatever the views of others might be, but that's not how he comes across face to face.

Hmmmm,"The Way Back" does show the Earth Administration to be corrupt and rotten to the core (in particular, Morag is loathsome).

But do we really know enough about Bran Foster, to say what he was like? Had Bran Foster caused death & destruction in the past, in the name of the rebellion? We'll never know.

The only truly open characters we see in "The Way Back" are Varon and Maja. Oh, and maybe Ravella & Richie, as they are followers, not leaders.

JustBrad

BLAKE: "No! Not until free men can think and speak. Not until power is back with the honest man."

Blake considers himself as "the honest man" (he uses the word first); he clearly wants to be placed on a pedestal.

And my other favorite exchange..

Jenna: Perhaps some dreams are worth having.
Avon: You don't really believe that.
Jenna: Perhaps not (No?), but I'd like to.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

But do we really know enough about Bran Foster, to say what he was like? Had Bran Foster caused death & destruction in the past, in the name of the rebellion? We'll never know...

By the same argument, how much do we know about any characters that only appear in one episode? I'm not saying that Foster is or isn't a good/bad person, merely that he doesn't treat Blake like a paranoid and merciless person.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

Just going by past experience on discussions about Blake CoolGrin

President Solvite wrote:

There is no reason I can see to assume that Blake is talking about himself at that point. It has been made very clear in the previous episode that the Federation is corrupt and so one of the most logical reasons for opposing it is the desire to remove that corruption. He may well see himself as an honest man, but there is nothing to suggest that he is motivated by the desire for personal power, or that he sees himself as a saviour or 'ideal' in any way, or that he seeks a pedestal.

That he is seen as such a threat suggests that he was charismatic and popular, also suggesting that he was not a 'terrorist', and so its likely that he was percieved as honest by others and that the Federation found difficulty in knocking that perception. Probably not whiter than white but the available evidence would suggest that he was what he claimed to be.

Some of his crew do put him on a pedestal though and that is a serious danger to him, luckily he has Avon to regularly shake it for him. The man seen in 'Blake' might have sufferred for the lack of that or he may just be tired and embittered by his experiences, its hard to be clear....

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

rojkerr1 wrote:

It is the moment we finally see the real Blake for the first time, the true man behind all those idealistic words. And it's not a pretty sight.

Blake is the second best politician in B7; the best being Servalan, of course.

Servalan as ruler of the galaxy is not pretty. Blake or Avon in charge would be nearly as bad.

I vote... for President Vila. Wink Everything would be in chaos, but it would be a hell of a lot of fun. Grin

So everything we have seen before, regardless of the circumstances has been a lie? Thats a pretty sweeping statement, with little supporting evidence that I recall. What we see is a shocked and disappointed man reacting to the bitterness of being wrong in a way that has cost so much. Nothing dishonest in that.

Actually Avon possibly wouldnt have been so bad, though Blake cares too much to be a desirable ruler.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

And my other favorite exchange..

Jenna: Perhaps some dreams are worth having.
Avon: You don't really believe that.
Jenna: Perhaps not (No?), but I'd like to.

Brad, that whole scene from beginning to end is:

JENNA: "What do you think they'll do?"
BLAKE: "Their time's running out."
JENNA: "So's ours."
BLAKE: "We have less to lose."
AVON: "You may have, but I value my life!"
JENNA: "Assuming they do land us somewhere, what then?"
BLAKE: "Find a way of getting back to Earth."
JENNA: "Back to Earth?"
BLAKE: "Yes. That's where the heart of the Federation is. I intend to see that heart torn out."
AVON: "I thought you were probably insane."
BLAKE: "That's possible! They butchered my family, my friends. They murdered my past and gave me tranquilised dreams."
JENNA: "At least you're still alive."
AVON: "Listen to me. Wealth is the only reality. And the only way to obtain wealth is to take it away from somebody else. Wake up, Blake! You may not be tranquilized any longer, but you're still dreaming."
JENNA: "Maybe some dreams are worth having."
AVON: "You don't really believe that."
JENNA: "No, but I'd like to."
BLAKE: "Yes, well, you asked me what I was going to do and I've told you. What you do is up to yourselves."
AVON: "Right. A new identity, a job in the Federation Banking System. Three months with their computers, I could lift a hundred million credits and nobody would know where they went. Then let anyone try and touch me."
BLAKE: "And the rest?"
AVON: "Have the same chance as I have."
BLAKE: "You don't really believe that."

A classic scene. It says so much about all three characters. Avon's self-interest in looking after No 1, Jenna really wanting to believe in Blake, and Blake's one-track-minded fantascism.

And at no point, does Blake try to persuade Jenna not to put him onto a pedestal.

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

But do we really know enough about Bran Foster, to say what he was like? Had Bran Foster caused death & destruction in the past, in the name of the rebellion? We'll never know...

By the same argument, how much do we know about any characters that only appear in one episode? I'm not saying that Foster is or isn't a good/bad person, merely that he doesn't treat Blake like a paranoid and merciless person.

I didn't ever say Blake was paranoid and merciless... he's not.

However, he's far from a perfect human being, despite often telling people he is, courtesy of his rabble-rousing speeches.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

Certainly it was my impression that Bran viewed Blake as a friend and someone that he was used to talking with as an equal. If it were the case that Blake was 'paranoid and merciless' at that time, an aggresor like Travis but of the opposite political persuasion, then I don't see that being the case...

trevor travis wrote:

I'm not saying that Foster is or isn't a good/bad person, merely that he doesn't treat Blake like a paranoid and merciless person.

trevor travis wrote:

I didn't ever say Blake was paranoid and merciless... he's not.

I know you didn't, it was G4I's assertion that he was 'paranoid and merciless' that myself and others disputed.

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

A classic scene. It says so much about all three characters. Avon's self-interest in looking after No 1, Jenna really wanting to believe in Blake, and Blake's one-track-minded fantascism.

And at no point, does Blake try to persuade Jenna not to put him onto a pedestal.

It sets out the basic differences between the characters and provides a framework for what is to come - all in a short exchange which is clever. Grin

It also preps the viewer for quite a lot about the Federation, Avons comments particularly do a lot to lay the ground work for what we later see about the regime. As for Blake - nothing particularly one track fanatisum about it given what we have seen in TWB. Outrage and determination - yes.

As for his encouargement of Jenna? Evidence please.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,500,776 unique visits since 8th January 2014