Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
O-cat-ober 2016 Artwork FanFic Challenge by Atomicmayo
Travisina
68.media.tumblr.com/ebbbad5e616207373ab90be8b82443fd/tumblr_nzw39eWCTM1uqi1nzo1_1280.jpg
(Click on the image to see the larger version)

With the Supreme Cat Show being judged by our actors this month, it seemed appropriate that we should have a feline-based ficlet challenge! Atomicmayo has kindly offered us this picture of Avon for our October artwork-based ficlets.

This challenge will remain open until 7th November.

Post your stories here...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Lurena
Felis Catus.

In exile he was offered a cat to keep him company and in an attempt to calm him down.

The animal had suddenly appeared in his residence, together with a food packet and a manual.
The latter was vital because he had no experience with cats; he once learned about the predators species of "Felidae", but not about the so-called "Felis catus" or house cat.

He had thumbed through the manual with a wry smile.
It amazed him that the species was to be found across much of the old Earth for centuries.
It said that his newly arrived guest originated from the isolated island Kerguelen.
Such a bad joke!

It kept him company for a week now.
No, it was not really a success… Avon rarely felt so sick and miserable.

That was not because the animal, whenever Avon sat quietly, insisted to sit on his lap, its flexible and compact body curled up, contentedly purring, forcing Avon’s hands to touch it.

It also was not because it used to exercise its retractable claws, scratching through his trousers and painfully in the flesh of his thighs.

Somehow these habits kept the memory of his arch enemy Servalan very well alive.

It even was not because he got frustrated about the fact that he had no box and thus he had not been able to execute Schrödinger’s Cat experiment.

He mused about creating a blanket of the cat’s fur as a remedy to his rheumatism; but he refrained. He had rheumatism all over his body and the size of the cat’s skin would hardly be enough to cover his feet.

And it was not because he had tried to snarl the animal out of his way, to which it responded not even by hissing, but with a heartfelt caterwauling and by sticking to his legs.

So he ended up with this Felis catus as his useless companion, who sat on his lap, making his eyes swell and causing thousand fits of sneezing.

He never felt so miserable; he had never heard of cat-allergy….
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
BradPaula
Oh, Lurena. Wonderful story to match the drawing. Atomicmayo- excellent drawing- so emotive.

Anniew
Lurena...sad and funny. Loved it.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Just got back from deepest darkest Devon....
.....and Lurena posts a beautiful and touching story.
I really must get my thinking cap on!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Hugbot
A lovely illustration, Atomicmayo, and a lovely story, Lurena! Your description of a cat's behaviour and the connection to Servalan are simply perfect. I hope you don't suffer from cat allergy?

Lurena
Thank you all for your kind comments!
Avon looks so sad in that drawing (thank you for the artwork Atomicmayo!).
I didn't want to write him as a deteriorated, broken man. I thought it to be ironic to give him a lack of knowledge that could play a nasty trick on him.Angry

Hugbot wrote:

I hope you don't suffer from cat allergy?

No, not at all, I do not suffer from cat-allergy Grin

Rainesz
I LOVE this picture by Atomicmayo. Grin

And Lurena, excellent story!! Grin
My two favorite lines: "Somehow these habits kept the memory of his arch enemy Servalan very well alive."
And...
"It even was not because he got frustrated about the fact that he had no box and thus he had not been able to execute Schrödinger’s Cat experiment." Ha ha! I love it. Wink

Lorna
Well done Lurena. A thought-provoking story!

Anniew
He hadn't wanted to come. That's probably why she had insisted. He'd tried to hide his disquiet from her but she was good at reading him or perhaps he just wasn't as adept at maintaining a poker face as he'd been before she had tortured him to the point where he had had to give in. Whether he'd have done so if he'd guessed she would keep him alive, a little puppet dangling on her string, he didn't know. His mind was too broken to remember clearly the man he'd been before Gauda Prime. What little he could recall came to him in flashes, unconnected scenes- he assumed they were from his past- some pleasant, others horrifying and bleak. Anything else he recalled she had fed him. Tales of those that betrayed him, of his failures, the deaths he had caused: little titbits, handed to him one at a time, each designed to cause him pain.

So given the blanks in his mind, it was a surprise to find himself reacting strongly when she told him she was taking him to Freedom City. He tasted it first, a memory of something creamy, sweet, his mouth watering with pleasure. Then a visual flash...a box of coloured lights, magically changing its size. A voice with a strange accent, "Ze Klute" whatever a Klute was. Finally a name, Vila, and a rush of emotions, regret, guilt but most of all affection. He hadn't wanted to know any more. She had no mercy and would only take him with her if she knew something that would change the memory forever and make him suffer.

Now he sat in an ante chamber, his mind deliberately blank, waiting for her to conclude her business with the painted, arthritic, old man she had come to meet, (a man who had regarded him with inexplicably glittering malice) and a small cat surprised him by jumping confidently onto his lap and settling there, it's purr soothing, it's fur soft and warm.

He sat there stroking it, at peace and yet sad; half glad that he couldn't recall why he should feel such a sense of absence in a place he had no memory of having visited but which he knew was connected to a time when he had known fellowship and fun.

Soon, in unsparing detail, she would fill in the gaps in his memory for him and force him to relive them. But for now, there was just the cat's soothing purr and the softness and warmth of its fur.

littlesue
Lurena and Anniew....I've started to run out of tissues............

Rainesz
@Anniew: Ah! Very poignant. Poor broken Avon. Also clever to incorporate "Gambit". (Am I right in remembering that that is the only time we see a cat in Blake's 7... ?) How many cats did Krantor have, I wonder, as this one on Avon's lap looks like he/she's been through a rough time, too? (Maybe Krantor started to take in strays, and Avon is one at this point.)

Argh, I have an idea for a story but it may be a while before I get to it this month. (Unexpected deadline!) It may be an obvious idea and someone else might write about it first. Which I would welcome because it would probably a lot shorter, anyway, LOL! Wink

Hugbot
@Anniew: Veeery dark and disturbing piece .... love it! (After all, that is why we all like B7, isn't it?)

Hugbot
Feline Diplomacy

It must have been decades ago when Avon had last seen a cat. He would never have thought to encounter one on Tarl, let alone in Boorva’s audience chamber. But soon after his host had prompted him to take place in the visitor chair, a cat had entered the room, made a beeline to the chair, hopped onto it and curled up on Avon’s lap.

At first, Avon was embarrassed, but he did not dare to chase away the cat. It was obviously Boorva’s pet, and pet owners can be very sensitive when it comes to their beloved animals. As Avon had come here to forge an alliance, it would not have been prudent to upset Boorva by disrespecting his cat.

Avon resigned himself to his fate and began the negotiations. In fact, this fate was not that bad; after a while, he even found himself stroking the cat, who purred contentedly on his lap.

The negotiations went along in a surprisingly relaxed atmosphere. After merely an hour, Avon and Boorva reached a preliminary agreement. They could not hope for more on this first meeting, as Boorva had to check with his cabinet. Avon decided to call it a day. When Boorva went over to him and reached out his hand, Avon was forced to get up. The cat didn’t like the interruption, of course, but shaking Boorva’s hand while remaining seated seemed to be even more of an insult than shooing away his cat.

When the cat left his lap, Avon realised that it had left a mass of white hair on his black trousers. Trying to avoid anything that might upset Boorva, he suppressed a curse. Boorva on the other hand grinned from ear to ear.

‘Oh, I’m sorry,’ he said, ‘but you sat on her favourite chair.’

Disbelievingly, Avon stared at him. ‘But you told me to sit here!’ he complained.

Boorva smiled. ‘Yes, I’m afraid I do this with all my visitors. I feel much safer when the people who want to talk to me have a cat sitting on their lap.’

Anniew
Ooh very clever story Hugbot. Most enjoyable.

Lurena
Anniew, you wrote such a disturbing story with so much B7 ( Gambit) in it that it haunted me all day and half of a night. Neat!

Hugbot, great humour and thouroughly thought out psychology. Love it!

Anniew
Bit of a cheat this but I couldn't resist.

Midnight
Just the sound from the engines
As I sit with my memories
I am lost and alone;
In the starlight, dead hopes congeal in
My heart
Who she was now unknown.
Memory
All alone on the flight deck
I can cry for the old days
It was beautiful then.
A time I thought I knew what happiness was
Now love won't enchant me again.
Each monitor seems to pulse a fatalistic
warning.
Computers chatter, doesn't seem to matter
Soon it will be morning.
Sunrise:
In space there's no sunrise,
No hope of a new life
Yet I cannot give in .
When I find him, tonight will be a memory
Too
And a new fight begin.
Burnt out ends of desperate days,
The stale, cold smell of losing
The lights click on, another watch is over,
Day dawns without my choosing.
Leave me!
Why the hell won't they leave me
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the sun
When I touched her, I understood what
Happiness was.
Now bitter, a new day's begun.

JustBrad
Well done, Anniew

littlesue
Sorry, but I went over the word count...but he just looks so sad...
...with thanks to Lurena for checking the following over.

Pause for Thought

He had no idea where it had come from.
Only that it was now here, in his quarters, underground, in Xenon base.
It was curled up contently on his bunk.
He approached it, and was greeted by an angry eye opening and a hiss.
He backed away, not too sure what this small, furry creature was.

Orac wasn’t any help.
It had demanded, most indignantly, to have this creature removed forthwith from the top of its container as it tried to catch the lights racing around Orac’s innards.
Avon only agreed once Orac had given a precise diagnosis.
“A cat.”
“How did it get here?”
“That information you will have to discover for yourself. I can only inform you of this creature’s identity…now will you please remove me to a place of safety.”

“It won’t stop meowing,” Avon said.
“It’s quite obvious why,” Soolin smiled, “The poor creature is hungry.”
“Hungry?”
“Yes, it needs food.”
“Food?” It hadn’t occurred to him that that was a possibility, “What do you suggest?”
“I’ll see what I can find…”

She found some protein and mineral liquid and the creature lapped that up.
“Well, that will have to do. It looks as though we will have to fetch something more filling.”
“We do need some supplies,” Tarrant murmured watching the creature wind itself in and out of Avon’s booted legs.
“And the sooner the better,” Dayna concurred, “I don’t want to be kept awake by that noise all night.”
“I’ll stay here,” Vila announced as the others left for the Scorpio, “It’s so nice to see you with a new friend. One that apparently likes you.”
Avon glared at him. “Is this your doing?”
“Me? No.” Vila got up to leave, “Well, maybe a little. It was pawing at the door...so I let it in and it went straight to your quarters. I couldn’t persuade it otherwise. Besides, having a pet didn’t do Cally any harm. Did it?”

The cat had led him back to the solitude of his quarters.
Mindful of the last time, he draped his jacket over Orac, to protect it from the cat, should the latter decide to go hunting.
And there he sat, quietly on a couch, with the creature curled up contently on his lap, purring.
For reason’s he couldn’t understand he suddenly found himself stroking its soft fur, and a green eye opened and squinted at him.
Vila was right; having a ‘pet’ hadn’t harmed Cally. That had been his doing.
No-one else had openly said it, but he knew that they blamed him in some way.
He continued stroking the animal’s head and felt the burden of the years slowly drain away…

Then a new sound awoke him from an unusually deep slumber.
He blinked and listened carefully.
The sound seemed to emanate from Orac, but it wasn’t its usual whirring.
He sat up and looked at the bunk.
Where there was once one animal there seemed to be more…all snuggled up on the discarded jacket, inside an unusually quiet Orac.
There came a soft knock at the door.
“Come,” Avon said absently.
“We managed to get….” Dayna stopped mid-sentence.
Soolin gazed at the scene, “Well, your friend didn’t waste any time, although I think Orac may have something to say about it.”
“It’s just as well we brought more than enough back with us,” Tarrant pointed out.
Vila shook his head, “We’ll be overrun at this rate.”
“No,” Avon began, gazing at the six kittens and their proud mother, “She will leave…soon, when she’s ready…..”
Avon seemed unusually tranquil.
The cat raised its head, inviting the warmth of his hand.
He reached out and gently caressed her soft, warm fur.
The others could only watch in silent amazement.
“After all,” Avon quietly began, “That is what Cally would have wanted.”

Anniew
I wonder what the inspiration for this was?

Avalon had insisted that he make an appearance at the Centenary Supreme Intergalactic Cat Show - something to do with improving his image.

"People are less likely to think of you as a murderer if they see you with cats, " she'd remarked briskly and her directness had reminded him of Jenna.

" I'm not a murderer, " he'd countered, as evenly as possible. "If you pretend to be a Bounty Hunter, no matter how good your reasons, you run the risk of being shot by someone with a bounty on their head!"

"I know," she soothed, " But three times Avon? And don't you think you owe the revolution something for gunning down its leader?"

"Some leader, " he'd wanted to retort, but didn't because he did feel bad about the shooting. "I don't know anything about cats, Avalon. How am I supposed to judge them? Can't you send Vila?"

He was appalled at the pleading note that coloured his usually authoritarian tones - a measure of how far his star had fallen since Gauda Prime.

"Cat allergy," she told him, tersely.

And that was that.

Cats. Big cats, small cats, fluffy cats, smooth cats, some without hair looking as if they'd been skinned. He was scratched, licked, covered in hairs. One even urinated on him nervously. Throughout the ordeal he smiled charmingly at the vis recorders, glad that he'd chosen a grey ensemble rather than his usual black which didn't show up the hairs so much and which he could happily consign to the recycler once it was over. They were groomed to perfection, the cats that were brought by their doting owners (men as well as women he noticed) coats shining, noses bright, tongue and teeth immaculate. Prime specimens, except for the brown bruiser of a Tom that jumped suddenly onto the judging table, refusing to be dislodged and miaowed loudly until he picked it up. Its ear was torn, its eye scarred and no one seemed to know who it belonged to but the damned thing refused to leave him, even after the judging was finished, and it leapt into the teleport beam just as he requested Orac for pickup.

On the journey back, the cat hoisted itself onto his lap, yawning insolently when he tried to move it, its claws firmly digging into his trousers and he winced at the fishy smell of its breath. Sardines. Blake's favourite lunch time snack.

Eventually, as he'd always done with Blake, he gave in to its importuning. He sat quietly stroking it all the way to Albian. Just one more responsibility he hadn't chosen but seemed, these days, unable to turn his back on.
Edited by Anniew on 20 October 2016 16:31:29

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
9,178,505 unique visits since 8th January 2014