Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Sept 2016 Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
Welcome to September, my favourite month. Named because it was the seventh month in the old Roman calendars.

This month's word prompt is ... SEVEN.

Magnificent? Deadly? Blakes?

Now imagine Avon and Travis standing in the ruins of an ancient church.

How did they get there? What do they talk about? What happens next?

Write the story!

trevor travis
ROBOT WARS SEASON 777

His robot was called ‘Seven’, after the band of rebels that he used to be part of. These days, he put his talents to more profitable uses.

His opponents sniggered. The robot looked ineffectual to say the least, without any visible weapons. Its shape was bizarre – with three prongs at the front, and a green bulb at the back. In fact, it was thought to be the second worst robot ever entered in the competition; the worst being the Slave Chasing Machine entered by the Thaarn in Season 632.

Yet every time another robot entered the arena alongside Seven, it bizarrely broke down, leaving him with the simple job of using Seven to push them into the pit. This continued until Seven was confirmed as series champion.

Vila took the cheque for one million credits from the Craig-Charles-Bot, and placed it in his pocket, next to miniature Orac.
Edited by trevor travis on 02 September 2016 16:02:01

Joe Dredd
Seven

My daddy is the best. I've never seen him but I'm sure he's funny and kind and handsome and likes little girls. I've been thinking about him every day since I can remember, ever since my uncle told me dadd y wasn't my daddy.

When I was two my mummy and daddy died. Mummy must have known something was going to happen because she gave me to some people to look after me until she came back but she never came back. Then Uncle Del found me and took me away.

He told me lots about my mummy and showed me photos of her with daddy. i can't really remember them but Uncle Del told me lots of stories about my mummy like when she was little and dared him to put a whole packet of lollies in his mouth at once. That's a funny story!

One day I asked my uncle why I didn't have light hair like mummy and daddy. He went all quiet for a bit but then he told me that daddy wasn't my real daddy. I asked him about my real daddy but he wouldn't tell me.

It's my birthday today and I am SIX YEARS OLD. I asked Uncle Del if he would tell me as a birthday present but he said no, wait until your seven.

I dream about my daddy when I brush my hair in the mirror. He must have dark hair like mine. I just know he's kind and likes puppy dogs and kittens and ponies. When Uncle Del tells me about him I will know where he lives and i will go there and he will throw me in the air and give me piggy back rides and we will live together forever.

My name is Reva Chesku and I can't wait to be seven.

JustBrad
How had it come to this? He was Roj Blake, or at least he had been, once. He once had Liberator, he once had Orac, and what had he accomplished? Nothing. These days they even credited him with saving the Federation at Star One. Roj Blake, savior of the Federation, albeit a messiah with a death sentence.

His one hollow consolation was that Avon hadn’t managed better without him after all. Liberator was gone, destroyed. Avon was nothing but a pirate now.

The man who had been Blake sat hidden in a copse of trees, his back to a gnarled old pine. He could hear the crunch of sticks and leaves in the distance as the gun runners searched for him. They wouldn’t find him, he was well hidden. Roj Blake, once the terror of the Federation, hiding under a pine tree on a backwater planet no one had ever heard of.

How had it come to this?

He’d failed so many times, at Control, at Star One, at Jevron where one of his lieutenants was executed in his stead. And now he’d failed Jenna, the one person in all the known worlds who still trusted him, much good it did her.

How had it come to this? He looked up, as if silently asking the heavens, and he saw a small spider. The tiny arachnid was hard to see, bedecked as it was in green and brown. It made Blake think of himself, the pair of them hiding in the tree dressed in green and brown. Further up the tree he saw a small flash of black, like Federation black, but when he looked again, it was gone.

The spider jumped from a branch trailing silk behind her, dangling from the gossamer lifeline as she came up just short of her target, an adjoining branch. Six times the spider tired, six times the spider came up short. On the seventh try, she made it. Soon a shining silk web decorated the tree.

Blake set his jaw, picked up his gun, and moved, but he didn’t walk away from the noise of the gun runners, he moved towards them as he released the safety on his firearm. He turned his head back to the pine tree and said a silent thank you to the spider.

He didn’t see the black clad crow hop along the branch, and swallow the spider in one gulp.

Hugbot
A Kiss is Just a Kiss

Once upon a time, Avon teleported to a planet. After he had crossed seven mountains, he came into a dark wood. In a clearing, seven dwar... seven vertically challenged men were gathered around a glass coffin in which lay one of the most beautiful women Avon had ever seen. In her hand she still grasped a packet of Revels. Obviously, she had choked on them.

As he witnessed the seven mourning and wailing, Avon thus spoke, ‘Let me try something. May I kiss her?’

The leader of the seven (who, incidentally, was called Thaarn and sported invisible hair) gave him a look full of disgust.

‘You want to kiss a corpse?’

‘Don’t worry, I’ve done it before. And besides, at least she is not my cousin.’

Reluctantly, the dwarves opened the coffin. When Avon bent forward and kissed the girl, she immediately opened her eyes and fell in love with Avon and his silver tunic (which was made of very soft leather, in case no-one has told you yet).

The dwarves rejoiced (they didn’t want to do all the hoovering in their hut themselves – sounds familiar, doesn’t it?), and Thaarn said to Avon, ‘How did you know that this was the cure?’

‘It was a question of symmetry’, Avon answered, ‘when I kiss a living girl, she normally drops dead (because I am so drop-dead gorgeous). So I thought that if I kiss a dead one, it might have the opposite effect.’

Anniew
The sun was low on the horizon throwing the long shadow of a cross across the scrub. Avon lounged against the stones of the ruined church, half hidden in the shade that grew larger as the sun dipped further and, despite his relaxed appearance, he was watching intently. Occasionally he checked his watch. Travis was late. If he didn't arrive soon, Avon would have to leave. A pity but better that than Blake find out his plan.

A sound brought him to full alert, gun raised and he pressed back against the stones scanning the area. The shadow of the cross thickened and distorted and Avon stepped forward causing the black, cloaked figure that had just emerged from a thicket of trees to spin towards him.

"Avon." The voice was mocking, an undertone of aggression lending it a brutish roughness. "I see you've managed to slip your chains. Left Blake somewhere have we? I hope you haven't been foolish and brought him with you. You've been a good little boy and followed instructions? " He gestured behind him and Avon could just make out the shapes of two Mutoids lurking behind the trees. " You'll be in trouble if you haven't, " Travis continued with exaggerated menace.

Avon sighed and holstered his gun making an elaborate pantomime of doing so.
"Just me, Travis. So cut the threats and let's get down to business. Have you got the information?

"Have you?"

" I have."

"So how do we do this? "

"Count of three?"

"And what's to stop you from teleporting out without giving me the information? "

"I'm quite prepared to give you the information first."

" Trusting of you."

"Not really! I've placed a percussion mine about a meter from where you're standing. Your mutoids can't hit me from over there and if they make a move before I'm ready, I'll detonate the mine." He held out his hand to show Travis the triggering device, waving it insultingly. " I'll also detonate it if you renege on our agreement. Your choice,Travis."

"Clever, Avon, very clever. Very well. You can go ahead.."

" Tell your mutoids to stay back then."

" Mutoids, don't move until I give the order. Time to betray your leader, Avon. Where will I find Blake?"

" Goth. Now you!"

" Shrinker."

Safely back on board Liberator, Avon made his way to the flight deck. Vila snorted slightly as he entered but didn't wake. Avon estimated that he had another five minutes before the others returned; the rebels on Porphira enriched by rather too much of the contents of the treasure room for his liking but that was only a minor irritation. It had been a good day's work. Orac was primed to get Blake to travel to Goth immediately and with Liberator's greater speed, they would arrive there before Travis. As long as Avon managed to stay on board while Blake sought out Lurgen, he would have an 86% chance of destroying Travis' ship as it approached the planet. With Blake poised to bring down the Federation, the Liberator would then be his and he could begin drafting his plans to avenge Anna's death.
Edited by Anniew on 01 September 2016 20:50:51
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Hugbot
Only 10 hours, and we already have five stories ... wow!
@TT: Grin Grin Grin Given the name Craig-Charles-Bot, this must be an RD allusion, however, I can't remember any construction like that. Is it already from RD XI? Or am I missing the point completely?
@JD: Perfect. Simply perfect. At first, I hadn't a clue about whom you were talking (I didn't even know who Uncle Del was - Grant or Tarrant), but then it made perfect sense.
@Brad: Blake as Robert Bruce? Great idea, and very apt, come to think of it. When you peek behind the usual Scottish folklore, you discover that his character was rather shady.
@AnnieW: That plan really sounds like an Avon plan. An intriguing idea and a fascinating read.
All in all a great start to September!

littlesue
Yeah gods....all these stories all ready!!!!!
I must get my thinking cap on...and Huggy, the Revels have made an appearence too!
Robert the Bruce...
....A Little Chesku...
One wonders if Mr Nation had any idea about the sort of stories that would be unleashed by simple word prompts when he sat in that office back in 1977!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
5 stories - and I haven't even put the new challenge on the Roundup yet! You people are amazing Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
Hugbot wrote:

@Brad: Blake as Robert Bruce? Great idea, and very apt, come to think of it. When you peek behind the usual Scottish folklore, you discover that his character was rather shady.

We're very aware of that, seeing as how there is a slim chance we are descended of Clan MacGregor.

Anniew
TT hilarious as always
Brad such a clever adaption of Robert Bruce

Joe a really chilling, touching, sad little story

Hugbot - Avon and the 7 horizontally challenged manikins. Never thought I'd read it! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thank you all.

Joe Dredd
Hugbot, that's great! I was going to do "Blake's 7 Dwarves" as a Badly Made B7 for the previous 'robot' prompt but I ran out of time. My script doesn't come anywhere near the level of your punchline; it's great! I also tip my hat to the revels callback.

Brad the Black, I think that spider silk may be a trail of cause and effect leading back to a web with the pattern of infinity as its design.

Annie - a very convincing tale! Avon always carries insurance.

TT - I think Robot Wars should put a ban on anything with a flashing groin.

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:
TT - I think Robot Wars should put a ban on anything with a flashing groin.

I'm starting to think about the various entrants to a B7 episode of Robot Wars:

Hugbot
Flashing Groin Robot
Slave Chasing Machine
Ensor's Flying Sphere Pets
Avalon Android
Vinni Android
Muller Android

Angry Angel
Hugbot wrote:

Only 10 hours, and we already have five stories ... wow!
@TT: Grin Grin Grin Given the name Craig-Charles-Bot, this must be an RD allusion, however, I can't remember any construction like that. Is it already from RD XI? Or am I missing the point completely?

In the Robot Wars series that ran in the late 90s - early 2000s, Craig Charles was the host.

Excellent stories all, and so fast!

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Travisina
Angry Angel wrote:

Hugbot wrote:

In the Robot Wars series that ran in the late 90s - early 2000s, Craig Charles was the host.

And Mat Irvine was one of the pioneers and judges!
You can get a flavour of the show HERE.

We went to one of the shows once (you could get tickets to be in the audience), it was a lot of noisy fun.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Angry Angel
We've been loving the new series of Robot Wars, but that's getting a bit off topic.

JustBrad
Angry Angel wrote:

We've been loving the new series of Robot Wars, but that's getting a bit off topic.

Not if you write a story about it.... Grin

Anniew
The last thing Avon had expected was to waken, so he wasn't sure how he felt about it. He seemed in good shape for a man who'd taken multiple body shots; a bit stiff and cold, very cold - but then he was lying on damp, stone flags in a structure without a roof, so that was hardly surprising. For the first time in many months his head didn't pain him. Raising himself up on an elbow he looked around for clues as to what was going on.

The structure he was in had grey, scabbed stone walls, rubbed black in places, and there were pillars, tall and carved with elaborate but crumbling patterns of leaves. He surmised that it had once functioned as a church. To his left a stone basin leaned lopsidedly and a flight of steps climbed towards the sky before fizzling out. An arched aperture with stone tracery gave a view of green hills and blue sky - not a landscape he recognised, but pleasing. Most puzzling was the metal box with a lid which seemed to have been plonked on a broken plinth, an anachronistic addition but one which made his heart leap when he saw it. The church setting, the lack of pain all suggested that this was the afterlife, the place where he would spend eternity and it was possible the box contained Orac. The endless hours would pass more quickly if he had Orac by his side.

In fact the box contained something which confirmed his view that he was not the Universe's favourite son. Nestled among the rubber padding was a head, arrogant, proud, a black patch covering the hole where an eye and half a face had been. Travis. Able to talk, despite his head not being attached to a body. Avon was to find out over the ensuing months, years, oh let's not mince matters, eons, just how he could talk.

There was symmetry in the design, he acknowledged: the justifiably murdered and his unrepentant murderer sharing eternity together, each the other's punishment: except the punishment seemed all one way. Travis talked at him, threatening, boasting, threatening some more, commanding, insulting, threatening: talked at him every minute of every day and night, endlessly, repetitively talking and there was no escape. As far as he could tell, Travis felt no pain; he had always enjoyed haranguing a helpless victim so this must be paradise for him. It was Avon who was in hell and that hardly seemed fair. He knew he was a bad man, but surely, on the scale of things, Travis was worse, so why was Avon the only one being punished? And despite his best efforts there was no escape. He had tried ever way possible to reach those rolling hills but the barrier between the church and them seemed impenetrable.

As he watched, Blake wondered how long it would take Avon to try the stairs and trust that, despite appearances, they might lead him to safety and to friends.
Edited by Anniew on 05 September 2016 09:31:35

Angry Angel
Very interesting Anniew, really makes me want to know more.

Anniew
Thanks AA. Hope you like this one too.

Jenna carries six scars. They are badges of honour, records of trials faced and overcome, scars of the skin only, not the mind.

The first is a ridge a centimetre long on her scalp. She got that when she was six: a peaceful protest about food shortages but the troopers had opened fire and a shot grazed her head as she and her mother ran. The blood matted her hair and it hurt so much when her mum stitched the wound without anaesthetic, then combed and combed the tangles until every trace of blood was removed. It's the scar of survival.

At seventeen she was taken for questioning. Her mother had sent her a message just before her last arrest but it was intercepted. She hadn't seen her for years and never found out what it had said. Fortunately her father was able to bribe the security forces to let her go. An abraded shoulder (sustained during an interrogation session that she sometimes dreams about and wakes from, screaming) turned septic and left a scar that she thinks of as her mother's.

Space Academy was fun at first, but she soon outstripped her male contemporaries in piloting classes and too openly despised their advances. One night she was invited to a party. It was the anniversary of her mother's execution so she had gone. Either she had drunk too much, or her drinks were spiked but she was discovered in a service corridor with a memory of hands and pain and jeering and a deep cut just above her buttock, sustained the medics thought by being dragged over a piece of glass. She had waited until she was proficient in self-defence, armed and unarmed and then run away, eking a living in dubious bars on a frontier world, her scar reminding her never to drink unless alone.

It was unusual for an Alpha to be content slumming it and when Tarvin asked her to pilot his ship (his usual pilot having got himself stabbed in a fight) she jumped at the chance. The Amagons were professional and proficient: she learned from the best. On Zolat-4 she had nursed Tarvin to health although wounded herself, as they hid in a cave from 300 custom officers. It was intimate and exciting and she had believed herself in love. The scar on her leg reminds her that you can only trust yourself. Ironically it is heart-shaped.

Scar five was inflicted by one of Largo's louts when she refused to run a shipment of Shadow for him. He didn't order her death - Amagons don't take kindly to outsiders killing one of their own. Instead he informed on her and she was arrested. It reminds her that working for slime like Largo would be worse than any prison sentence.

The Andromedon war gave her the sixth. The escape pod had been damaged in the fight and the landing left her with a broken elbow and a scar on her forehead. A memory of Zen, the Liberator and hopeful times.

But now she has a seventh, invisible, a scarring of the heart as she watches Blake compromise his principles in his determination to bring down the Federation. She is not sorry when she finds herself cornered at last with only the destruct button or surrender as her options.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.48 seconds
9,112,633 unique visits since 8th January 2014