Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
The Dialogue of B7: Part 2 - Season B
trevor travis
B1: REDEMPTION

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

BLAKE: “Orac's prediction still hasn't come into effect. I am trying to find some reason why he was wrong.”
AVON: “Have you found what you want?”
BLAKE: “No.”
AVON: “That's because you're looking for the wrong things.”
BLAKE: “What exactly does that mean?”
AVON: “It's a common enough failing. Now if you've finished with Zen, I'd quite like to get on; we have a malfunction on the intermediate range sensors. I need to check the systems.”
BLAKE: “Leave it! If I've missed something, I want to know what it is now, Avon.”

BLAKE: “Do you think you could forget your superiority complex for a moment and get on with it?”
AVON: “All right. But first of all, let us examine the nature of prediction. The human mind is capable of seeing into the short- range future with reasonable accuracy. For example, imagine that you are standing on the edge of a cliff.”
BLAKE: “As long as you're not standing behind me.”
AVON: “There are a number of alternative futures. You could take a pace forward and plunge to your death. The cliff could crumble under your feet with the same result. A gust of wind could carry you over.”
BLAKE: “All right, all right, yes. But the probability is that I would turn round and walk away again.”
AVON: “Exactly. You have just made a prediction based on the known facts. A computer works on precisely the same principle.”
BLAKE: “But all you're saying is that prediction is not immutable fact.”
AVON: “Right. If you hadn't gone near the cliff in the first place, you wouldn't have had to face any of the inherent dangers.”

BLAKE: “But that's halfway across the galaxy! Now if we make sure that we never go into that area, then the prediction becomes void. I'll tell the others. How long have you known?”
AVON: “Oh, several hours.”
BLAKE: “And you just let the others go on worrying?”
AVON: “Well, all they had to do was ask. Perhaps in future, they won't rely on you to provide all the answers.”

VILA: “Where did those ships come from? Who were they?”
BLAKE: “Yes, and why did they attack? Zen was confident they weren't Federation.”
VILA: “So why did they pick on me?”
AVON: “I doubt if it was personal, Vila.”
VILA: “It felt personal. It always feels personal when someone tries to kill me.”

VILA: “When you get Zen working, ask him to prescribe something for a headache, will you? I've got this shocking pain right behind the eyes.”
AVON: “Have you considered amputation?”

“If it ever comes to a showdown, my money's on Blake. Well, half of it. I'll put the other half on Avon.” (VILA to JENNA)

AVON: “Carry the analogy a stage further. When a living creature is hurt - a cut or a wound - antibodies gather around the injury to repair it and to fight infection.”
VILA: “You mean the computers are treating us like germs.”
AVON: “Crude, but accurate.”
CALLY: “But antibodies kill infection. Why are we still alive?”
BLAKE: “We're not sure. There are dozens of ways the ship could destroy us: cut off the air supply, drop the temperature so we freeze to death...”
VILA: “Stop putting ideas into its head.”
BLAKE: “Actually, one touch of that cable would have done it. No, I don't think it wants to kill us.”
AVON: “Well, not yet, anyway. It's saving us for something.”
VILA: “Dinner?”

JENNA: “But who would know the code that operates Zen?”
BLAKE: “It's obvious, isn't it?”
JENNA: “The people who built the Liberator?”
BLAKE: “Just taking back what's theirs. Redemption.”

ALTA 1: “The System is the supreme power of Spaceworld and the three life-supporting planets which orbit our sun. The System is a complex of infallible machines.”

BLAKE: “All of this? You mean even you are computer controlled?”
ALTA 1: “We serve the System. Its questions and orders are routed through me, but the words and thoughts are those of the System.”

[The Liberator’s sister ship explodes]
BLAKE: “Vila, did you fire?”
VILA: “No.”
BLAKE: “Well, what happened?”
ORAC: “I took the precaution of scrambling their launch system. It pre-detonated their missiles. Had I not done so, my prediction would have been inaccurate.”
BLAKE [Laughing] “Orac, you are a genius. Next time let us know what you're planning.”
ORAC: “I am closing down. I have much to do. You have engaged my circuits on your petty affairs for far too long.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 159
AVON 112
JENNA 56
VILA 42
ZEN 27
CALLY 26
ALTA 1 22
ALTA 2 18
SLAVE 16
GAN 15
ORAC 7
GUARD 1
TOTAL 501

ANALYSIS: “Redemption” is a good, solid opener to Season B. It reintroduces us to the characters, while giving us the sort of action-orientated adventure that is the hallmark of Terry Nation’s writing, as the original owners of the Liberator want their ship back.

The antagonism between Blake and Avon steps up a notch here. The pair dominate the story; its five minutes into the episode before any of the other humanoid members of the crew appear, and Blake (159 lines, just three short of his “Breakdown” figure) & Avon (112, over 100 for the first time) notch up over half of the dialogue between them. With Season A having aired, it’s clear that Paul Darrow’s Avon, a hit with viewers, has been propelled even further forward in the mix.

Orac saves the day, but is a supercomputer of few words – he’s too impatient to converse with the crew for too long. Meanwhile, it may be a new season, but one thing hasn’t changed between seasons... Gan is the humanoid member of the Liberator crew who receives the least dialogue.

trevor travis
B2: SHADOW

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

BLAKE: “So, That is Space City.”
VILA: “Also known as the satellite of sin.”
AVON: “By whom?”
VILA: “Me.”
AVON: “It had to be someone of limited imagination.”
VILA: “Pick a pleasure, any pleasure.”
JENNA: “And you'll find it for sale in Space City.”
BLAKE: “If you've got the money.”
VILA: “But we have, we have.”
GAN: “And if you can stomach doing business with the Terra Nostra.”
BLAKE: “We're going to use them, Gan, not do business with them.”
AVON: “A subtle distinction that escapes me for the moment.”
BLAKE: “Now don't tell me you have a moral objection to using their organization to infiltrate Earth?”
AVON: “Of course not.”
GAN: “Well, I have.”
BLAKE: “Think, Gan, think what they've got: men, material, information. Think what we could do with a fraction of the resources they control.”
GAN: “No, you think, Blake. Think what it is they control. Everything dirty, degrading, and cruel on just about every colonized world.”
BLAKE: “Earth is all I'm interested in.”
VILA: “The Terra Nostra aren't responsible for everything, Gan. I could go and murder somebody now and it wouldn't be their fault. Mind you, if I picked his pocket afterwards they'd want their cut.”

BLAKE: “You're staying here.”
VILA: “What?”
BLAKE: “Where I can find you if I need you.”
VILA: “But that's Space City, one of my all-time great ambitions.”
BLAKE: “You'd probably be disappointed.”

VILA: “Thinks of himself as a hard man. Hard? He's strictly a fluffy-cheeked amateur compared to those boys.”
CALLY: “I think Blake can look after himself.”
VILA: “He's led a very sheltered life.”
CALLY: “What, Blake has led a sheltered life?”
VILA: “Look, he was an Alpha grade on Earth. A highly privileged group, the Alphas. Wouldn't last five minutes among the Delta service grades where I grew up. And it's the service grades where the Terra Nostra really operate. Without anaesthetic, usually.”

VILA: “Are you in there, Orac?”
ORAC: “Am I in where? What precisely do you imagine I am? Some sort of tame rodent in a cage?”
VILA: “That's precisely what I imagine you are. A rat in a box.”

LARGO: “They're beautiful stones. I'm a bit of a collector, in a modest way. I could make you an offer.”
AVON: “They have a sentimental value for me.”
LARGO: “Oh, family heirlooms, eh?”
AVON: “No, I'm just sentimental about money.”

VILA: “Stop worrying, Cally. I'll be back soon. Tell you what, I'll bring you back a present. What would you like, Cally? Name it and it's yours.”
CALLY: “A necklace, Vila, made from your teeth.”

GAN: “Can't find Orac. Even tried calling his name.”
AVON: “Oh, I'm sorry I missed that. It's the kind of natural stupidity no amount of training could ever hope to match.”

BLAKE: “All right, Avon. You were right and I was wrong. You said persuasion wouldn't work and it didn't. So now we use force.”
AVON: “Force? Yes, of course. Law makers, law breakers, let us fight them all. Why not?”

BLAKE: “It [Zondar] has to be the source [of Shadow], the key to all the Terra Nostra's power. If we control that, we control them.”
JENNA: “Right.”
GAN: “The drug in return for their help? Blake, that would make us pushers.”
BLAKE: “Well, maybe we won't keep our end of the bargain.”
GAN: “And that would make us cheats.”
BLAKE: “That will make us winners, Gan. That's the only excuse for fighting.”

BLAKE: She [Cally] is an alien.”
AVON: “She is more human than I am.”
VILA: “That's not difficult.”

JENNA: “It's enough to fry your eyeballs.”
AVON: “Daintily put.”
JENNA: “It must be the company I keep.”

AVON: “[They’re] Moon discs. Prized by collectors.”
BLAKE: “People collect odd things.”
JENNA: “Look what you ended up with.”

“Child of Auron. Listen to the voice of Orac. Remember the touch of hands at laughter and the warmth of open minds. Remember these things for they are gone. You are alone.” (A possessed ORAC to CALLY)

AVON: “This is the ID of a guard I killed. He was a member of Federation security, a very special member. He was one of the President's personal security force.”
BLAKE: “The President of the Federation runs the Shadow operation.”
AVON: “And since Shadow is the basis of the Terra Nostra...”
GAN: “I don't believe it.”
BLAKE: “It's quite logical. To have total control, you must control totally. Both sides of the law. The Terra Nostra, the Federation: two sides of the same power. The same man of power.”
AVON: “Ironic, isn't it? We were hoping to use the Terra Nostra to attack the Federation only to discover that it is already being used to support it.”
VILA: “Where are all the good guys?”
BLAKE: “You could be looking at them.”
AVON: “What a very depressing thought.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 109
CALLY 77
AVON 72
VILA 70
BEK 50
GAN 49
LARGO 49
JENNA 42
HANNA 28
ZEN 28
ORAC 21
ENFORCER 16
CHAIRMAN 10
VOICE 9
TOTAL 630

ANALYSIS: After 14 successive episodes written by Terry Nation, we finally have script editor Chris Boucher’s own take on B7. “Shadow” is a strong and complex script almost bursting with ideas... it is not Cally who is possessed, but Orac.

The episode is pretty hefty on dialogue – a new high watermark of 630 lines. Boucher’s episodes of B7 are driven by dialogue... as script editor, he’d be well aware of the programme’s budget limitations and that dialogue is cheaper than action!

Also as script editor (and having the actors moan in his ear!), Boucher was aware that some characters tended to miss out on the limelight. Therefore, “Shadow” strongly features Cally, reminding us of her telepathy and her alien qualities. Gan also has much to say, as he becomes the conscious of the crew.

Everyone is well featured here. Of the six humanoid members of the crew, Jenna has fewest lines... but she still has 42 lines and teleports down to both Space City and Zondar. There are 15 episodes (from “Time Squad” to “Pressure Point” ) with six people on board the Liberator; in every other of these episodes, at least one of these six has fewer than 30 lines.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

B2: SHADOW

BLAKE: “Think, Gan, think what they've got: men, material, information. Think what we could do with a fraction of the resources they control.”
GAN: “No, you think, Blake. Think what it is they control. Everything dirty, degrading, and cruel on just about every colonized world.”
BLAKE: “Earth is all I'm interested in.”

Which seems to answer the question raised elsewhere about 'did Blake care about potential damage to innocent worlds from the destruction of Star One'; he claims here not to care about the people of other worlds, beyond how they can be used to support his cause of course, and is even willing to support their suppression by criminal gangs.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

“Shadow” is a strong and complex script almost bursting with ideas...

... and an absolute nightmare to try and summarise in 175 words for the Unstoppable Cards synopsis! This was one of the episodes we struggled with most, and only managed to meet the word count by leaving out all mention of Bek, Hanna and Vila's trip to Space City. Which reminds me, there are some great lines at Vila's expense after his return, eg:

BEK What's in it for you?
BLAKE You can help me with one of my crew. His name's Vila and he's suffering from a bad attack of alcoholic remorse.

and

AVON: Have you remembered anything yet?
VILA: It's a complete blank, from the time you left to meet Largo to when I woke up back on the ship.
BEK: With what you drank you're lucky to remember who you are.
AVON: I would hardly call that lucky.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:
AVON: Have you remembered anything yet?
VILA: It's a complete blank, from the time you left to meet Largo to when I woke up back on the ship.
BEK: With what you drank you're lucky to remember who you are.
AVON: I would hardly call that lucky.

I like that one in particular. Cool

That's the "problem" with Shadow - you can quote a good portion of the episode and still miss out some good dialogue. I had similiar issues with Space Fall and Seek-Locate-Destroy.

briggsy1
Having read through the selected dialogue for Shadow, I'm wondering if its got the best written script of any B7 episode.

trevor travis
briggsy1 wrote:

Having read through the selected dialogue for Shadow, I'm wondering if its got the best written script of any B7 episode.

It is a very strong script, especially when you consider there's a lot of good dialogue I still left out.

trevor travis
B3: WEAPON

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

“Auron may be different, Cally, but on Earth it is considered ill-mannered to kill your friends while committing suicide.” (AVON, after finding out CALLY has suggested an attack on the Weapons Development Base)

CALLY: “Sooner or later, Blake is going to attack Federation Central Control on Earth itself.”
VILA: “Later. Much later.”
AVON: “And alone, probably.”
JENNA: “I doubt that.”
GAN: “He wouldn't be alone if just you left him, Avon.”
AVON: “You would stay with him?”
GAN: “Yes.”
AVON [Smiles to himself]: “Virtually alone, then.”

AVON: “It [the Weapons Development Base] is a triple-A security installation.”
VILA: “We have got into those before.”
AVON: “Usually with your screams of protest ringing in our ears. Are you telling me that you're in favour of this idea?”
VILA: “No, not exactly, I just don't think it's stupid. Perhaps... maybe I'm on your side, Cally.”
BLAKE: “It's not a question of sides, Vila.”
AVON: “No, it's a question of intelligence, so your opinion has very little relevance. Blake, almost by definition, the Weapons Development Base must be one of the best defended installations in the Federation.”

SERVALAN: “You don't hurry a Clonemaster.”
TRAVIS: “Out of respect, Supreme Commander?”
SERVALAN: “They are a little awesome.”
TRAVIS: “Reverence? I wouldn't have thought you capable of it.”
SERVALAN: “I'm capable of taking the one thing you have left if you persist with your impertinence, Travis.”
TRAVIS: “My visits to the retraining therapist have left me ... I don't know. Is there anything of value that remains to me?”
SERVALAN: “Blake's death.”
TRAVIS: “I meant no impudence, Supreme Commander.”

TRAVIS: “What's your name?”
CLONE: “Roj Blake. What's yours?”
TRAVIS: “How old are you?”
CLONE: “Thirty-four.”
CLONEMASTER FEN: “When were you born?”
CLONE: “Five hours ago, Master.”

“When I've dealt with this tiresome female [Fen], I'll follow.” (SERVALAN to TRAVIS)

JENNA: “Maybe IMIPAK is another Orac. If we captured it perhaps we could breed from them.”
BLAKE: “What a disgusting idea.”

SERVALAN: “It's going wrong, Carnell.”
CARNELL: “Wrong? Ma'am, I'm mortified by your lack of confidence.”
SERVALAN: “If I lose Coser - and his invention - mortified is exactly what you'll be.”
CARNELL: “I realize that.”
SERVALAN: “So long as you do.”
CARNELL: “A brilliant psycho-strategist like me? Come now, Supreme Commander. How would I not?”
SERVALAN: “Carnell?”
CARNELL: “Yes, Supreme Commander?”
SERVALAN: “You miscalculated Coser's breakdown.”
CARNELL: “He went a little sooner, that's all. The rest will be on schedule. You'll get IMIPAK. And when you do, no-one will realize you've got it, because everyone else involved will either be dead or running away.”

AVON: “We do not know what IMIPAK is.”
BLAKE: “Exactly. The least we've got to do is find out what it does.”
VILA: “Why have we? I can live without it.”
BLAKE: “It's just conceivable that you can't.”
AVON: “Unless of course you want your last words to be: ‘So that’s IMIPAK.’”
VILA: “I think my brain must be furring up.”

OFFICER: “You're a Puppeteer?”
CARNELL: “Do they still call us that? I never really felt that did me justice.”

COSER: “You use it like a gun and it projects a potential, an unstable molecular potential in the part of the victim that you hit. The beauty of it is that unless they see you do it, or you tell them you've done it, they don't even know it's happened.”
CLONE: “And that kills them?”
COSER: “This [the key] - this kills them. This is the key. When they're in range of this and you press that [button], it triggers the unstable molecules. Death at the press of a button.”
CLONE: “I see.”
COSER: “What do you mean, you see? Aren't you impressed? Look, once you hit them with this, there's nothing they can do to remove the spot. It's there for as long as they live. And YOU decide how long that is. This has a range of up to a million miles. Just think of it! You set the range here. If he's within a million miles, you can kill a marked man anytime you want without even seeing him again. Or you can leave a whole series of these in various places ready-triggered and he'll kill himself whenever he comes within range of one. Or you can tell him they're there and you can be certain he'll never go where you don't want him to go. Selected victims, groups, whole populations. You can be like God.”

“Travis, when you know an enemy's strengths, and can use them against them, they become weaknesses.” (SERVALAN)

“Welcome back, Supreme Commander. I apologize for not being here in person to greet you, but I think you'll appreciate my reasons. I overlooked the girl. Well, no, to be fair to myself, your people overlooked her. I know she was only a bond slave, but they should have realized she was gone rather sooner than they did. I might have adapted the strategy. Ah well, even a genius can make mistakes. Look at it this way, Supreme Commander, you haven't lost anything. Whereas I, well, I've lost my career, my position, the respect of my peers. Come to think of it, I haven't lost much, either. On the subject of losers, be careful of Travis. The catharsis he got by killing that first clone will have worn off by now. He's as mad as ever he was. But then aren't we all? One last thing, Supreme Commander. I must tell you this. You are undoubtedly the sexiest officer I have ever known. Goodbye, Servalan.” (CARNELL’s video message for Servalan)

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

SERVALAN 92
TRAVIS 67
COSER 56
BLAKE 52
RASHEL 47
AVON 34
CARNELL 26
JENNA 22
FEN 21
CLONE 2 19
GAN 17
ORAC 16
VILA 15
CALLY 12
OFFICER 10
ZEN 6
CLONE 1 1
VOICE 1
TOTAL 514

ANALYSIS: Whereas “Shadow” put the emphasis on each and every member of the Liberator crew, this time Chris Boucher focuses on the baddies! “Weapon” reintroduces us to a recast Travis (with Brian Croucher stepping into the shoes of Stephen Grief)... but it’s clear that Servalan is now much more of a central character; she even knocks usual pole-topper Blake off his perch!

For every episode since “Cygnus Alpha”, the Liberator crew have had 50%+ of the dialogue. But that run comes to an end here. The eight members of the crew total just 34% between them, Servalan & Travis take a further 31%, while guest characters have 35%. Gan, Vila and Cally all feel the squeeze, with less than 20 lines each.

Blake doesn’t feature in the top two for the first time; although Gareth Thomas is still given the second most amount of dialogue, if the 20 lines given to the two clones are also taken into account.

Psycho-strategist Carnell makes quite an impression in just 26 lines; he even featured in the Kaldor City spin-off series.

trevor travis
B4: HORIZON

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

BLAKE: “What are the surface conditions on Horizon?”
ZEN: “Negative information.”
BLAKE: “Population?”
BLAKE: “Well, is there any information on Horizon?”
ZEN: “Negative.”
BLAKE: “Well, is the information on Horizon classified?”
VILA: “Well, that was a whole lot of nothing.”

“Oh, you are curious. Well, I'm glad we have a worthwhile purpose.” (AVON to BLAKE)

[Cally holds pad to Vila’s arm]
VILA: “What was that?”
CALLY: “One-third adrenalin, two-thirds soma.”
VILA: “Soma, eh? I think I'll bottle it... make myself a fortune.” [Vila passes out]
CALLY: “He'll be sleepy now for about half an hour.”
AVON: “That will be nice.”

“Oh, hell, I'm tired of running, Jenna. We must get at least one planet behind us.” (BLAKE)

CALLY: “I think they're in trouble.”
AVON: “You just think so?”
CALLY: “I feel it.”
AVON: “Wonderful. We have all the resources of Zen, Orac, and the Liberator, and you feel that they are in trouble. You do not fell it, you reason it. They have not called in, therefore they must be in trouble. You don't have to be telepathic to know that.”

“I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.” (AVON to VILA)

BLAKE: “I'll ask you again. Is this a Federation colony?”
RO: “I am my own man. I'll have you killed unless you answer my questions.”
BLAKE: “You sound like a Federation man.”
RO: “Are you against the Federation?”
BLAKE: “Well what do you think?”
RO: “I think you are, yes.”
BLAKE: “Does the Federation frighten you?”
RO: “Of course not.”
JENNA: “Then you must be part of it.”

KOMMISSAR: “So you're a resister. Some malfunction of the genes, I suppose. It throws up a resister about every hundred thousand. Mostly they're detected in infancy.”
BLAKE: “I was a late developer.”

“Are you there? Cally!” [No response] “And then there was one. Orac, no further information is required on the planet Horizon. I think it's time to leave.” (AVON)

CALLY: “Was it... was it you? Were you the executioner?”
KOMMISSAR: “Your companions are still alive.”
CALLY: “I feel it. You killed him. You killed him because he would not obey you.”
KOMMISSAR: “What is she talking about?”
RO: “She's a mystic, I think. I've seen this amongst my own people.”
KOMMISSAR: “Rubbish. That stuff belongs to your tribal past.”
CALLY: “His father. You killed his father.”
KOMMISSAR: “We're wasting time.”

AVON: “If we go now, we can sail the universe for as long as we like in reasonable safety, provided we keep out of everybody's way and we do not do anything rash.”
ORAC: “No data available to answer the question... if it was a question.”
AVON: “I put it to you as a possibility. I request the odds.”
ORAC: “The odds would be three point five to one on survival.”
AVON: “Therefore I do not need Blake, I do not need any of the others... I do not need anybody at all.”

KOMMISSAR: “I'm glad you're coming round to the truth, Ro. It would have hurt me to eliminate you.”
RO: “You were thinking of that?”
KOMMISSAR: “Oh yes.”
RO: “But we are as brothers.”
KOMMISSAR: “Even so. For the good of the Federation.”

RO: “You will die. It's the death serum. You planned our deaths.”
KOMMISSAR: “I thought you were one of us, Ro.” [The Kommissar dies]
RO: “No, I'm not. Seems I never was.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 127
RO 107
KOMMISSAR 89
AVON 71
JENNA 40
CALLY 38
VILA 37
ZEN 34
ASSISTANT KOMMIASSAR 25
ORAC 22
GAN 20
SELMA 17
GUARD 6
PRIMITIVE 1
TOTAL 634

ANALYSIS: “Horizon” is a very good debut B7 script from Allan Prior, who had been one of the regular writers of Z-Cars. Like Chris Boucher, his focus is on dialogue - “Horizon” contains four more lines of dialogue than “Shadow”.

In this episode, Blake uses persuasion, as well as force, as puppet ruler Ro gradually realises the truth of the situation – that the Kommissar has been pulling his strings. Ro and the Kommissar are good characters, and both feature heavily in “Horizon”.

This episode also almost sees Avon run out on the others; he is once more being given much of the best dialogue. It also sees the beginning of ‘Action Avon’ (although he did shoot two guards in “Shadow” ) as he stages a one-man rescue.

The transformation of Cally from guerrilla fighter to nursemaid for the rest of the crew is completed here, although it least it means we have the first references to Adrenalin & Soma. Bottoms up!

trevor travis
B5: PRESSURE POINT

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

BLAKE: “In three hours we'll be in teleport range of Earth.”
VILA: “Earth?”
JENNA: “Blake, are you crazy? We can't afford to take risks like that.”
VILA: “We were just going to skirt the system, that's what you said, take a quick look at the defences.”
GAN: “The perimeter defences.”
VILA: “Yes, and that was dangerous enough.”
JENNA: “You never said anything about looking at the perimeter from the inside.”
CALLY: “We must take this risk.”
BLAKE: “All right, I didn't expect you to welcome the idea. That's why I misled you just a little.”
AVON: “That's very diplomatically put.”
BLAKE: “Is my phraseology your only complaint, Avon?”
AVON: “No, but it is my only surprise.”
BLAKE: “You knew?”
AVON: “I never really believed the long-range reconnaissance story. Earth has been on your mind for a long time, Blake. Too long for you to sit outside the planetary system and look.”
BLAKE: “It's time we really hurt the Federation. Oh, we've been hitting at the fingers, the arms. I want to hit at the heart. And the heart of the Federation is Earth.”

BLAKE: “It's a challenge. All the might and the power of the Federation is represented by Control. While it exists, the Federation is invulnerable.”
JENNA: “There have been many attempts to destroy it. They've all failed. That's true, isn't it, Blake?”
BLAKE: “Yes, there've been massive rocket attacks from space, ground assaults, every kind of attack. Control still operates untouched.”
VILA: “Armies can't do it, space fleets can't do it, but we can, is that it?”

SERVALAN: “She [Kasabi] taught officer cadets. But what she was teaching was treason.”
TRAVIS: “Until a very bright young cadet reported her.”
SERVALAN: “Yes, Travis, I was. A very bright cadet.”
TRAVIS: “You? You reported her?”
SERVALAN: “There was an official inquiry, during which the stupid fools let her escape.”
TRAVIS: “I'll make sure that doesn't happen this time.”
SERVALAN:”You'll stay here, Travis... Kasabi is mine.”

AVON: “If we succeed, if we destroy Control, the Federation will be at its weakest. It will be more vulnerable than it has been for centuries. The revolt in the Outer Worlds will grow. The resistance movements on Earth will launch an all-out attack to destroy the Federation. They will need unifying. They will need a leader. YOU will be the natural choice.”
BLAKE: “Possibly.”
AVON: “Don't be modest, Blake. You are the only one that they would all follow. You would have no choice. You would have to stay on Earth and organize the revolt.”
BLAKE: “If there's no other way.”
AVON: “There wouldn't be.”
BLAKE: “That still doesn't explain why you're backing me.”
AVON: “With you running the campaign on Earth, somebody has to take charge of all this.”
BLAKE: [Smiling] “You want the Liberator.”
AVON: “Exactly. If we succeed, the destruction of Control gives us both what we want.”
BLAKE: “Could be you're planning just a little far ahead.”
AVON: “Perhaps. But sooner or later, I will have my chance.”

KASABI: “Don't try and browbeat me Servalan. Or have you forgotten that I knew you as a cadet? You were a credit to your background: spoilt, idle, vicious.” [To Travis] “My confidential assessment listed her as unfit for command. But I forgot how well-connected she was.”
TRAVIS: “That is no concern of mine.”
KASABI: “Then it should be. It should be everyone's concern. The Federation is degenerate, run by creatures like her.”

GAN: “Blake, we're going to have to pull out.”
BLAKE: “It's a setback, but we've come this far. It means a change of plan, but I'd still like to try for it.”
GAN: “What's the use? The risks are doubled now.”
BLAKE: “I'm not so sure. Kasabi was only giving us backup cover, holding off the security forces to give us time to penetrate the Forbidden Zone.”
GAN: “Yes, so how can we hope to do it without her?”
BLAKE: “We still have the element of surprise. Even more so now with Kasabi's force wiped out, security aren't going to expect another assault so soon.”
GAN: “You're guessing, Blake, guessing and hoping.”

VILA: “I don't feel well. I'm going to be a big handicap.”
AVON: “I'm used to that.”

“Times like this, I wish I'd gone straight.” (VILA, about to negotiate the horizontal bars)

“We've done it! We've done it! We've done it! I've done it!!” (BLAKE on reaching CONTROL)

TRAVIS: “You believed it, Blake, like all the other fools before you. Destroy Control and you destroy the Federation.”
BLAKE: “It WAS here. Everybody knows it was here.”
TRAVIS: “Of course. We've never concealed it. On the contrary, we've broadcast the fact. We used it as a challenge to our enemies, we invited them to attack Control.”
BLAKE: “It was never here?”
TRAVIS: “It was moved ... thirty years ago.”
BLAKE: “To where?”
TRAVIS: “Even I don't know that. But it's safe and secure and will remain so while those who seek to destroy us believe it's here. You see, it's the great illusion, Blake. You give substance and credibility to an empty room, and the real thing becomes undetectable, virtually invisible.”

“Blake! Go! I'm not worth dying for!” (GAN’s final words)

TRAVIS: “They'll dig us out eventually.”
SERVALAN: “Oh, yes. They'll dig us out eventually. And then I'll bury you.”

ZEN: “State course and speed.”
BLAKE: “Standard by Ten. Get us out of the solar system.”
ZEN: “The instruction is imprecise.”
BLAKE: “Just do it.”
ZEN: “Confirmed.”
[Blake looks at Gan’s empty chair]

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 129
TRAVIS 65
AVON 59
SERVALAN 58
GAN 45
VILA 39
JENNA 29
VERON 28
CALLY 24
KASABI 23
ARLE 9
BERG 8
MUTOID 6
ZEN 4
FEMALE VOICE 2
TOTAL 528

ANALYSIS: “Pressure Point” is the game changer, as Blake’s run of successes come to a shuddering halt. Terry Nation returns to write this pivotal episode, containing Blake’s attack on Control (previously mentioned in “Weapon” ) and the death of Gan.

Gan has not always been the best-represented character, thanks to the slight overcrowding onboard the Liberator (six humanoid regulars is a bit of a juggling act). But he’s given a strong final episode receiving a good amount of action and dialogue (he only has more lines in “Shadow” ); if only Blake had listened to him.

Blake dominates this episode, with almost double the dialogue of any other character. To paraphrase Servalan, his strengths do become his weaknesses; his drive & determination lead to him making reckless choices. Travis & Servalan also feature heavily – not only does Blake come unstuck, but so does Travis; Servalan follows up on her promise to “bury” him in “Trial”.

There’s also some strong interaction between Blake & Avon in this episode. And while it’s not her strongest episode, at least Jenna saves the day.

trevor travis
B6: TRIAL

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

“She [Servalan] has all the sensitive delicacy of a plasma bolt.” (BERCOL to RONTANE)

JENNA: “It's getting worse for him [Blake], isn't it?”
AVON: “Guilt does that.”
JENNA: “What would you know about guilt?”
AVON: [Smiling] “Only what I've read.”

RONTANE: “We know that she's sending Travis to his death in order to keep his mouth shut, but she is doing it with such an impeccably honest and painstaking tribunal that her real motives can't even be hinted at.”
BERCOL: “Has a date been set for the Blake inquiry?”
RONTANE: “Does it matter? Without Travis' evidence the mishandling of the Blake affair becomes a matter of conjecture. The inquiry becomes a formality.”
BERCOL: “A Presidential stay of execution so that Travis can give evidence? After this, he should be more than willing.”
RONTANE: “After this he'll be a convicted mass murderer.”
BERCOL: “It could still damage Servalan. 'Slime sticks,' as the old saying has it.”
RONTANE: “Yes, but the President can't be seen to throw it.”
BERCOL: “Servalan picked Travis.”
RONTANE: “The President picked Servalan.”
BERCOL: “So she's outmanoeuvred us once again.”
RONTANE: “Let's say she's outmanoeuvring us, but it's not over yet. She could still make a mistake.”
BERCOL: “Which is presumably why we came. I was beginning to wonder.”
RONTANE: “We came, Bercol, because Servalan's ambitions threaten us all. And the President particularly dislikes being threatened.”

VILA: “I wish Gan was here.”
AVON: “Oh, yes, of course. He would be able to work out exactly what was going on.”
VILA: “Maybe he would.”
CALLY: “Why do you say that, Vila?”
VILA: “He was straightforward, wasn't always expecting to be cheated and double-crossed... not like us. He trusted people; he trusted Blake completely.”
JENNA: “Much good it did him.”
AVON: “Welcome back to reality, Jenna.”

BLAKE: [recorded message on screen]: “Thank you. I must confess I wasn't sure whether you'd trust me or even care enough to ask if there was a message. In your place I'd probably have just said I don't give a damn and cleared off. I think... well, that's just it, I need time to think. We all do. That's what all this is about. I must apologise for the somewhat dramatic exit. I had to stop myself coming back. At least until we've made some decisions, you and I. I took one hell of a risk with your lives when I went ahead with the attack on Central Control. I thought it was justified, I thought we had a chance to win. And I was wrong. Completely, utterly, stupidly wrong.”
AVON “I noticed that.”
BLAKE: “I almost killed you all. I did kill Gan. For nothing: an empty room, a trick, an illusion. Now I find myself wondering if that's what it's been all along: just a dream. I don't know anymore. I don't know whether we should go on, whether you would even supposing I could ask you to. So, that is what we've got to decide, you and I: where do we go from here?”

“Which only leaves one question to be answered... is it that Blake has a genius for leadership, or merely that you have a genius for being led?” (AVON to VILA & CALLY)

PAR: “That's good stuff, sir. You won't go blind drinking that.”
TRAVIS: “All right, Par. What have I done to deserve this?”
PAR: “Sir?”
TRAVIS: “Faithful trooper, beloved officer - not quite how I see either of us.”
PAR: “You always looked after your men, sir. Now you're gonna die. We thought a drink was the least we could do, sir.”

THANIA: “You served a full tour with Space Commander Travis, didn't you?”
PAR: “Five years. He was hard.”
THANIA: “But fair”.
PAR: “No, not often, anyway. But you could always rely on him not to get you killed unnecessarily. He never wasted troopers.”
THANIA: “Oh, that's something, I suppose.”
PAR: “Major, when you're up to your neck in slime and lasers, that's everything.”

AVON: “It's a detector shield. I've been working on it for some time.”
VILA: “Everyone should have a hobby. What's it do?”
AVON: “It should keep us off everything but the Federation's close range visual scanners.”
VILA: “You mean their long-range detectors won't pick us up at all? But that's brilliant, Avon, absolutely brilliant. It'll never work.”
AVON: “There's only one way to find out. I'm sure Blake will find us something suitable to attack.”
VILA: “I see. You've decided to be led like the rest of us.”
AVON: “I shall continue to follow. It's not quite the same thing.”
VILA: “I don't see the difference.”
AVON: “I didn't really think that you would.”

VILA: “Saliva? You mean that's an ocean of spit?”
ORAC: “No, of course not. That was merely an analogy I was drawing.”
AVON: “All right, so it's digestive fluid. What does it mean?”
ORAC: “Surely that's obvious. This planet is alive.”
AVON: “Define alive. All planets are by some definition.”
ORAC: “I am not referring to a complex ecosystem. I refer to a single organism. A planetary life form. Fascinating, don't you think?”
VILA: “I doubt if Blake does.”

AVON: “One of these days they are going to leave you. They were almost ready to do so this time.”
BLAKE: “Yes, I thought they might be.”
AVON: “You handle them very skilfully.”
BLAKE: “Do I?”
AVON: “But one more death will do it.”
BLAKE: “Then you'd better be very careful. It would be ironic if it were yours.”

“A field officer, like myself, is frequently required to make fast, unconsidered decisions. You were all field officers, you know that's true. Time to think is a luxury battle seldom affords you. You react instinctively. Your actions, your decisions, all instinct, nothing more. But, an officer's instincts are the product of his training. The more thorough the training, the more predictable the instinct, the better the officer. And I am a good officer. I have been in the service all my adult life. I'm totally dedicated to my duty and highly trained in how to perform it. On Zircaster, I reacted as I was trained to react. I was an instrument of the service. So if I'm guilty of murder, of mass murder, then so are all of you!” (TRAVIS makes his own opening declaration at his trial)

VILA: “They missed us! Avon's gadget works!”
BLAKE: “I never doubted it for a moment.” [To Avon] “Is something wrong?”
AVON: “It just occurred to me, that as the description of a highly sophisticated technological achievement, ‘Avon's gadget works’ seems to lack a certain style.”

“It really is a pity he's [Travis] got to die. He's so much better than anything I've got left.” (SERVALAN to THANIA)

BLAKE: [Quoting Zil]: "Resist the Host or your Oneness will be absorbed."
AVON: “I would quite like to have met this Zil of yours. It's not often that one comes across a philosophical flea.”
VILA: [comes up to Blake & Avon] “That's the stuff that legends are made of.”
AVON: “Then again, perhaps they are not that uncommon.” [Blake & Avon laugh]

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 67
AVON 65
THANIA 43
TRAVIS 43
PAR 36
VILA 33
JENNA 30
SERVALAN 28
SAMOR 27
CALLY 25
ZIL 24
BERCOL 18
RONTANE 17
ZEN 14
LYE 12
ORAC 12
VOICE 9
COMPUTER 6
GUARD 2
TOTAL 511

ANALYSIS: “Trial” is a different style of story than we’ve seen before. It features two parallel plots, which only come together in the final minutes, as Blake - having pulled himself together - attacks Space Command and inadvertently saves Travis’s life.

No-one dominates the dialogue in this episode – it’s split a lot of ways. Up until now each episode has seen at least one character (usually Blake) with at least 89 lines of dialogue. Blake receives 67 lines in “Trial” – just two more than Avon (who is once more, a walking quote machine!).

But this is the finest moment for Brian Croucher’s Travis. In most other series, Travis, as the bad guy, would have few redeeming features. But here he justifies himself completely; he is simply a product of the Federation. Believe-it-or-not, Travis is portrayed as the wronged hero in this episode.

There’s so much good dialogue here, including from the guest characters. Bercol and Rontane make a very welcome return, to give us a running commentary on Servalan’s political plotting (Servalan is at her most devious here). And with Trooper Par, we get to know one of the men behind the helmet.
Edited by trevor travis on 15 February 2014 18:54:30

trevor travis
B7: KILLER

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

CALLY: “They're ready. They're watching.”
BLAKE: “Who? What are you talking about? Cally, what are you picking up?”
CALLY: “I don't know, but Blake, there is something malignant on that ship.”

VILA: “I hope you can trust him [Tynus].”
AVON: “I told you, he's a friend of mine.”
VILA: “Yes, I always knew you had a friend. I used to say to people: ‘I bet Avon's got a friend, somewhere in the galaxy.’”
AVON: “And you were right. That must be a novel experience for you.”

AVON: “Is there something wrong with your memory, Tynus? You owe me, remember?”
TYNUS: “Not enough to put my head on the block.”
AVON: [To Vila] “We were in a fraud together. When I was arrested, I kept my mouth shut.” [To Tynus] “If I hadn't, old friend, you would be sweating out the rest of your life on a convict planet, and that could still happen if I were to let the authorities know.”
TYNUS: “So that's the way it is?”
AVON: “Well, let's just say I did you a favour and now I'm collecting.”
VILA: “Nice. When Avon holds out the hand of friendship, watch his other hand. That's the one with the hammer.”

BLAKE: “Well, according to the Federation, I'm a political criminal. You may have heard of me. My name is Blake.”
BELLFRIAR: “Yes, but then we're absentminded scientists, you see. In fact, we've forgotten your name already. Haven't we, Gambrill?”
GAMBRILL: “Whose name, sir?”

BELLFRIAR: “So you really do teleport, do you?”
BLAKE: “Over short distances, yes.”
BELLFRIAR: “Well of course, the theory's as old as physics, but I didn't know it had been cracked yet.”
BLAKE: “Liberator's a very advanced ship. Of course, you have to know the surface conditions, otherwise teleporting's a bit like a jump in the dark. You're quite liable to surface in a fission reactor.”
BELLFRIAR: “Not a mistake you could learn by, really.”

VILA: “You don't have a lot of time for Blake, do you?”
AVON: “I could never stand heroes.”
VILA: “A quarter of a million volts and you're putting your hand in?”
AVON: “Ah, but that is self-interest. We need that crystal. Blake takes risks to help other people. Sometimes people he doesn't even know. One day that great big bleeding heart of his will get us all killed.”
VILA: “Unless somebody ditches him first.”

BLAKE: “Have you ever heard of Lord Jeffrey Ashley?”
BELLFRIAR: “Who?”
BLAKE: “Pre-space age, planet Earth. He was the commander of a British garrison in America, having trouble with hostile natives, redskins. Ashley ordered blankets from smallpox victims to be baled up and sent to the hostile tribes.”
BELLFRIAR: “Germ warfare... You mean we've picked up a bale of blankets, do you?”
BLAKE: “Seems to make sense.”

VILA: “Under control? You know this could be another Casarus.”
AVON: “What?”
VILA: “You remember the Casarus swamp fever, killed millions.”
AVON: “Well there aren't millions here, so don't worry about it.”
VILA: “Well I'm here, and I do worry about it. I don't like bugs. You can't hear them, you can't see them and you can't feel them, then suddenly you're dead.”

BELLFRIAR: [In his laboratory] “Everyone who's been into deep space has had the Terran ague, or the three-day sweats as it's commonly known as. It's a sort of a mild infection, it slightly alters the body's nucleic structure, it seems to be a metabolic reaction to space travel. Well this new virus, Paratype 926, attacks those altered cells and acts as a catalyst, they burst and, well the effects are literally a series of explosions that race through the body's neural cell structure. The virus is easily cultured in human tissue or in nucleic acid solution. Now, here is the formula for the antiserum...”
BLAKE: [On Liberator] “Dr. Bellfriar, are you saying that this virus is only effective against human beings who've been in deep space?”
BELLFRIAR: “Precisely. It fits your theory. But I don't think that the virus was designed to destroy man, merely to confine him to his own planet. Now here is the formula.”
BLAKE: “Go ahead.”
BELLFRIAR: “H-N, H-N-O ... oh, my God!”
BLAKE: “Dr. Bellfriar! Dr. Bellfriar!!”
BELLFRIAR: “I've forgotten how to read.” [Bellfriar looks at his hands, which are covered in blisters. He groans and covers his face. He dies]

BLAKE: “Cally, Jenna, get the ship moving. I'm going to put out a plague warning.”
AVON: “Are you crazy?”
BLAKE: “I've got to warn all traffic to stay away from Fosforon until that virus burns itself out.”
AVON: “Listen, Blake, Servalan is on her way here. She lands on Fosforon, she gets the plague, she's off our backs for good. You cannot put out a warning.”
BLAKE: “Suppose some of them don't die. Suppose some of them get off in a ship. That plague goes out to all the galaxies, millions will die because of it. That is the one responsibility that I will not take.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

DR BELLFRIAR 106
BLAKE 105
AVON 83
TYNUS 67
GAMBRILL 49
VILA 48
JENNA 32
CALLY 15
WILER 10
BAX 8
TAK 8
VOICE 9
ORAC 4
ZEN 4
INTERCOM 3
TOTAL 551

ANALYSIS: Robert Holmes was, arguably, Doctor’s Who finest writer. Therefore, it’s a coup that Chris Boucher, who was his big break in TV by Holmes (the Doctor Who story “The Face Of Evil” ) persuaded Holmes to write for B7.

I’ve not really considered what are the arc and non-arc stories in Season B (it’s not as clear-cut as Season A), but this is definitely non-arc. It may be a Federation base on Fosforon, but that’s incidental. Actually it’s more like a Season C or D story, with the crew after a valuable crystal.

Blake is portrayed differently from “Pressure Point” and Trial”. They showed the worst of Blake, either taking enormous risks or wallowing in self-pity. In “Killer”, he simply wants to help the people of Fosforon, despite not apparent gain for himself. Blake receives plenty of dialogue, although it is one line less than the lead guest character, the amiable and doomed Dr Bellfriar.

Robert Holmes loves his double-acts and he spots the potential of the Avon/Vila pairing straight away. Three of his four scripts will put these two together. But Cally is becoming the new Gan; she’s had only 64 lines across the last three episodes.

trevor travis
B8: HOSTAGE

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

VILA: “I thought we'd had it that time.”
JENNA: “So did I.”
VILA: “I could murder a relaxant. Any chance?”
CALLY: “It's for medicinal purposes only. You know that.”
VILA: “This once?”
CALLY: “Well, are you dying?”
VILA: “I'm thinking about it.”

VILA: “Avon, when are you going to repair that detector shield?”
AVON: “Whenever we stumble across the parts I need.”
CALLY: “Maybe we should give priority to getting them.”
VILA: “Yes, maybe we should.”
BLAKE: “Looks as though the Federation have developed a shield themselves.”
CALLY: “Yes, well they got very, very close before we saw them.”
AVON: “That is the most depressing aspect of the whole affair. I was rather hoping to sell them the idea.”

“Blake, I am sending from the planet Exbar. I have Ushton's daughter... Her name is Inga, if you remember. Don't worry, I won't harm her. All I ask is come to Exbar and talk. Blake, this is not a trick. Like yourself, I am now a fugitive from the Federation. It is time we pooled our resources. Together we might survive. Alone the Federation will pick us off one at a time.” (TRAVIS sends message to the LIBERATOR, via visplay)

AVON: “I still say that it is an unacceptable risk.”
BLAKE: “It is not unacceptable because I accept it. I want to save that girl, if I can. If I can't I might as well be a Federation slave like everyone else.”

JOBAN: “Aren't you going to offer me a drink?”
SERVALAN: “Yes, of course.” [She pours drink for Joban]
JOBAN: “Not joining me?”
SERVALAN: “I prefer to keep a clear head.”
JOBAN: “Very wise. Personally, I like the edges a little blurred.”

JOBAN: “I supported your appointment. Perhaps I was wrong.”
SERVALAN: “Perhaps you were. There's a First time for everything, Joban.”
JOBAN: “I've always admired your willingness to take risks.”
SERVALAN: “Calculated risks.”
JOBAN: “I add up to a dangerous enemy.”
SERVALAN: “So do I, Counsellor.”
JOBAN: “The council ask 'where is Blake's head?' And we have no answer.”
SERVALAN: “You shall have it.”
JOBAN: “The answer, or his head?”
SERVALAN: “Both.”
JOBAN: “Good. I would not like to think I might have been wrong in my choice.”

JENNA: “It is a trap, isn't it?”
CALLY: “Avon thinks so.”
JENNA: “Well Avon always thinks so.”
CALLY: “This time he feels responsible.”
JENNA: “Well why should Avon feel responsible?”
CALLY: “There can only be one reason.”

VILA: “Is that the old man, Blake's uncle or whatever.”
AVON: “Yes it is. I don't trust him.”
VILA: “Why?”
AVON: “He had a limp. When he went back into the cave he didn't have a limp.”
VILA: “Perhaps he's a fast healer.”
AVON: “I think Blake's in trouble. I'm going after him; you stay. If the old man tries to go up the trail, stop him.”
VILA: “How?”
AVON: “Kill him.”
VILA: “Oh, marvellous. Kill Blake's old uncle.”

AVON: “At least we are still alive.”
BLAKE: “For the time being.”
VILA: “What does that mean?”
AVON: “These gentlemen [the Crimos] do not mean us well, or haven't you noticed.”
VILA: “Well, why should they want to kill us?”
BLAKE: “Because they enjoy it.”

AVON: “Listen. I sent a message to Space Command headquarters, to Servalan, that Travis was here.”
BLAKE: “You did what?”
AVON: “I set the dogs on Travis. What's so strange about that?”
BLAKE: “Why?”
AVON: “It seemed the only rational thing to do. I thought they would get there ahead of us, get Travis and save us the trouble.”

TRAVIS: “Are you and I still enemies?”
SERVALAN: “Officially, yes. Unofficially, you lead me to Blake whenever you can. If you help me get him I'll see you officially listed as dead. There's no-one as free as a dead man.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 136
AVON 97
VILA 78
JENNA 67
USHTON 60
SERVALAN 51
TRAVIS 47
CALLY 38
INGA 22
MUTOID 21
JOBAN 20
ZEN 20
COMMANDER 19
MOLOK 15
VOICE 9
ORAC 4
TOTAL 704

ANALYSIS: On the face of it, “Hostage” may appear the most word-heavy B7 episode, with no fewer than 704 lines of dialogue. But maybe that’s not quite true, because a lot of the lines in this episode are short and sweet – there’s quite a few lines of “Yes”, “No”, “What?”, etc.

The regular cast are more to the forefront than they have been for several episodes. A regular order is establishing itself in Season B – looking at the humanoid members of the Liberator crew, for the fourth consecutive episode, the order in terms of dialogue is: Blake, Avon, Vila, Jenna, Cally.

The Servalan/Joban scene is a treat, and it’s a real shame that Councillor Joban only ever features in this once scene in B7 – for once, Servalan meets an equal.

trevor travis
B9: COUNTDOWN

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

“Sorry, Cauder. I won you a battle, but I lost you a war.” (DEL GRANT, after being unable to prevent the start of the countdown)

VILA: “You're quite sure you need me?”
BLAKE: “Certain.”
AVON: “Doesn't it make you feel good to be wanted?”
VILA: “I've been a wanted man all my life. What I need now is to be unwanted.”

VILA: “Allow me. [He unlocks a door] “You see - the old magic's still there.”
AVON: “The old ego, too.”

BLAKE: “Why? Do you know him?”
AVON: “I once knew somebody called Del Grant, but it was a long time ago. I doubt that this is the same man.”
BLAKE: “You don't seem very eager to find out. Why?”
AVON: “There are matters that remain to be settled between us.”
BLAKE: “Like what?”
AVON: “I told you: it's not important.”
BLAKE: “If it is not important, then why did his name have such a strong effect upon you?”
AVON: “Because the Del Grant that I knew said that if we ever met again, he would kill me.”

AVON: “Hello, Del. It's been a long time.”
GRANT: “I heard you were dead.”
AVON: “I heard the same about you. Wishful thinking perhaps.”
GRANT: “I'm glad the stories were wrong. I felt cheated. We have some things to settle.”

AVON: “That last day, when it was all over, did they hurt her [Anna]?”
GRANT: “They kept her under interrogation for nearly a week. They tried everything but she never broke. If she had spoken, told them what they wanted to know, she'd be alive now.”
AVON: “She should have told them.”
GRANT: “She held on because she believed in you. She didn't know that you'd run out and leave her to face it alone.”
AVON: “That was not the way it was.”
GRANT: “I know exactly how it was. She died under Federation torture. But it was you who killed her.”

“One more thing: if anything happens to Avon, I will come looking for you.” (BLAKE to GRANT)

GRANT: “There's one thing I never understood. Why did you leave her alone?”
AVON: “I had arranged to buy some exit visas, but I had to go right across the city to collect them. It was safer for Anna to stay out of sight. Separator.”
GRANT: [Hands him the separator] “What happened then?”
AVON: “There were patrols out everywhere looking for us. I was late at the rendezvous. And then the man from whom I was buying the visas increased the price. He wanted ten times what we had agreed. He said he could get even more if he turned me in and collected the Federation reward.”
GRANT: “You should have killed him.”
AVON: “I did. Link clamp.”
GRANT: [Hands him the link clamp] “So you got the visas. Why didn't you go back for her?”
AVON: “Killing the dealer wasn't quite so straightforward. He was expecting something and fired first. I started back but I was losing a lot of blood. Somewhere along the way I passed out. I was lucky. Some people found me and got me under cover.”
GRANT: “You could have got a message to her, told her to get out.”
AVON: “I was unconscious for more than thirty hours.”

GRANT: “You used the visa and got out of the city. You left her there.”
AVON: “That's right. But that was a week later. Anna was already dead.”
GRANT: “You're lying. You left the city the same day, before the Federation found Anna. You could have got her out.”
AVON: “No. She came looking for me, the patrols found her. It was only after we got word that she was dead that I left.”
GRANT: “You expect me to believe that?”
AVON: “Not particularly. But it happens to be the truth. If there had ever been a time when I could have given my own life to save her, I would have done it. The only grain of consolation that I have is that Anna knew that.”
GRANT: “She died because of you, that's all that matters. There's nothing changed between us.”
AVON: “I didn't really expect that it would be.”

BLAKE: “The computer complex, Control, where have the Federation moved it to?”
PROVINE: “Go to hell.”
BLAKE: “You may still have a chance [of survival] if I can get you to our surgical unit. Now where is Control, Provine?”
PROVINE: “Star One. It's called Star One now. Docholli. Cybersurgeon. Only Docholli knows.”
BLAKE: “Where is Docholli? Where is Docholli?” [Blake shakes Provine to death] “See you in hell.”

GRANT: “You did it [stopped the countdown].”
AVON: “Yes, I did, didn't I?”
GRANT: “Why did you help me?”
AVON: “Perhaps because Anna was your sister.”

BLAKE: “Are you going to tell me about Anna?”
AVON: “You wouldn't understand.”
BLAKE: “Wouldn't I?”
AVON: “I doubt it.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 111
AVON 89
GRANT 87
CAUDER 59
VILA 34
PROVINE 26
JENNA 17
RALLI 17
SELSON 12
ARRIAN 10
VETNOR 10
CALLY 8
TRONOS 6
TOTAL 486

ANALYSIS: “Countdown” is about well... a countdown! It’s an old cliché, but it works really well here, simply because... well really it’s not about a countdown at all, but rather giving Avon a back story.

The key to this episode are the scenes between Avon and Del Grant, as they discuss Anna, Del’s sister and Avon’s former lover. It not also leads to a sequel in Season C, but also the return of Del Grant in Big Finish’s Liberator Chronicles. But once again, it’s Blake, the driver of the plotline, who tops the dialogue chart.

The disparity between Liberator crew members is at its most extreme here. Blake & Avon tot up 200 lines between them, Vila has 34, but Jenna & Cally have just 25 lines between them, with Cally on a paltry 8... that’s even less than Gan in “Breakdown”. And Zen and Orac aren’t in the episode at all.

trevor travis
B10: VOICE FROM THE PAST

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

“Blake, I've just been checking on Del Ten. It's an ultra planet, fantastic mountain scenery, and the gravity's so low you can practically fly.” (VILA)

JENNA: “Blake, what about Del Ten?”
AVON: “Why are we diverting to some discarded rock? Any reason, Blake, or simply a whim, a guessing game, perhaps?”
BLAKE: “Priority mission.”
AVON: “Whose?”
VILA: “Why?”
AVON: “Objective?”
BLAKE: “I command this ship.”
AVON: “Do you indeed?”
JENNA: “You lead. We don't take commands.”
VILA: “You've always explained, given us reasons for things.”
AVON: “When he had any.”
BLAKE: “This time I choose not to.”
JENNA: “But, Blake, if you...”
BLAKE: “For once just try trusting me.”

BLAKE: “Not just yet. You know what's happening, don't you?”
VILA: “Happening?”
BLAKE: “Avon and Cally.”
VILA: “What about them?”
BLAKE: “Paired up. Mutual affinities.”
VILA: “You mean?”
BLAKE: “Oh, it's been going on for some time now. I didn't realize it had gone as far as this.”

“Look we've been on the run for a long time. What have we achieved? Access to Federation ciphers that have been regularly recoded, a raid on Central, an empty pretence, talk of Star One, talk of an alliance. Talk, talk, talk. Until now. Shivan and his friends, a senior Federation official. A chance. Our first real chance. And one free of violence and bloodshed.” (BLAKE to AVON & JENNA)

GLYND: “The evidence, my friends.” [Holds up tapes] “Surveillance report on Supreme Commander Servalan's attempt to cheat the Federation of one hundred million credits in return for the supercomputer Orac. Confidential report on your trial, Blake, and the subsequent elimination of your defence lawyer when he discovered that the evidence against you had been falsified. Need I continue? Enough, as I have said, to convict the Terran Administration... and Space Command.”
CALLY: “Only if you can achieve a fair and honest court hearing.”
AVON: “Which is, to put it mildly, improbable.”

“While there's life, there's threat.” (SERVALAN to LE GRAND)

CALLY: “What do we do?”
AVON: “Locate and destroy it [the controlling device].”
ORAC: “And restore Blake to his senses.”
AVON: “The two don't necessarily follow.”

CALLY: “So you and the Supreme Commander are working together again.”
TRAVIS: “Let's just say our objectives coincide.”
AVON: “I wonder if the rest of Space Command realise that.”

AVON: “More to the point, are you yourself?”
BLAKE: “What happened? Why aren't we at Del Ten? What's going on, Avon?”
AVON: “Why don't you just say, ‘Thank you’ nicely?”
BLAKE: “Well what are we all standing around for? Or has the Federation disappeared? Our problem is to find Star One if you haven't forgotten.”
AVON: “I'm sorry to have to inform you that he is himself all right.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 109
AVON 106
VILA 78
CALLY 57
GLYND 45
JENNA 40
ORAC 34
LE GRAND 32
TRAVIS/SHIVAN 21
SERVALAN 19
ZEN 16
NAGU 14
VOICE 6
TOTAL 577

ANALYSIS: Roger Parkes becomes the fifth person to write an episode of B7, in an episode in which Blake is not himself for almost the whole episode, and also a sequel of sorts to “The Way Back”.

As has become the norm in Season B, Blake and Avon top the dialogue chart, with Vila not too far behind. Cally is more heavily featured than she has been for a while, while Orac receives more lines than in any other Season B episode.

I’ve added Travis and Shivan together, since they are the same person. Travis doesn’t take off his disguise until after 40 minutes into the episode – he has 7 lines as himself, and 14 in his Shivan disguise.

I try to keep my analysis comments positive, so I’ll say no more about this episode!

meegat39
trevor travis wrote:

B9: COUNTDOWN

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

“Sorry, Cauder. I won you a battle, but I lost you a war.” (DEL GRANT, after being unable to prevent the start of the countdown)

VILA: “You're quite sure you need me?”
BLAKE: “Certain.”
AVON: “Doesn't it make you feel good to be wanted?”
VILA: “I've been a wanted man all my life. What I need now is to be unwanted.”

VILA: “Allow me. [He unlocks a door] “You see - the old magic's still there.”
AVON: “The old ego, too.”

BLAKE: “Why? Do you know him?”
AVON: “I once knew somebody called Del Grant, but it was a long time ago. I doubt that this is the same man.”
BLAKE: “You don't seem very eager to find out. Why?”
AVON: “There are matters that remain to be settled between us.”
BLAKE: “Like what?”
AVON: “I told you: it's not important.”
BLAKE: “If it is not important, then why did his name have such a strong effect upon you?”
AVON: “Because the Del Grant that I knew said that if we ever met again, he would kill me.”

AVON: “Hello, Del. It's been a long time.”
GRANT: “I heard you were dead.”
AVON: “I heard the same about you. Wishful thinking perhaps.”
GRANT: “I'm glad the stories were wrong. I felt cheated. We have some things to settle.”

AVON: “That last day, when it was all over, did they hurt her [Anna]?”
GRANT: “They kept her under interrogation for nearly a week. They tried everything but she never broke. If she had spoken, told them what they wanted to know, she'd be alive now.”
AVON: “She should have told them.”
GRANT: “She held on because she believed in you. She didn't know that you'd run out and leave her to face it alone.”
AVON: “That was not the way it was.”
GRANT: “I know exactly how it was. She died under Federation torture. But it was you who killed her.”

“One more thing: if anything happens to Avon, I will come looking for you.” (BLAKE to GRANT)

GRANT: “There's one thing I never understood. Why did you leave her alone?”
AVON: “I had arranged to buy some exit visas, but I had to go right across the city to collect them. It was safer for Anna to stay out of sight. Separator.”
GRANT: [Hands him the separator] “What happened then?”
AVON: “There were patrols out everywhere looking for us. I was late at the rendezvous. And then the man from whom I was buying the visas increased the price. He wanted ten times what we had agreed. He said he could get even more if he turned me in and collected the Federation reward.”
GRANT: “You should have killed him.”
AVON: “I did. Link clamp.”
GRANT: [Hands him the link clamp] “So you got the visas. Why didn't you go back for her?”
AVON: “Killing the dealer wasn't quite so straightforward. He was expecting something and fired first. I started back but I was losing a lot of blood. Somewhere along the way I passed out. I was lucky. Some people found me and got me under cover.”
GRANT: “You could have got a message to her, told her to get out.”
AVON: “I was unconscious for more than thirty hours.”

GRANT: “You used the visa and got out of the city. You left her there.”
AVON: “That's right. But that was a week later. Anna was already dead.”
GRANT: “You're lying. You left the city the same day, before the Federation found Anna. You could have got her out.”
AVON: “No. She came looking for me, the patrols found her. It was only after we got word that she was dead that I left.”
GRANT: “You expect me to believe that?”
AVON: “Not particularly. But it happens to be the truth. If there had ever been a time when I could have given my own life to save her, I would have done it. The only grain of consolation that I have is that Anna knew that.”
GRANT: “She died because of you, that's all that matters. There's nothing changed between us.”
AVON: “I didn't really expect that it would be.”

BLAKE: “The computer complex, Control, where have the Federation moved it to?”
PROVINE: “Go to hell.”
BLAKE: “You may still have a chance [of survival] if I can get you to our surgical unit. Now where is Control, Provine?”
PROVINE: “Star One. It's called Star One now. Docholli. Cybersurgeon. Only Docholli knows.”
BLAKE: “Where is Docholli? Where is Docholli?” [Blake shakes Provine to death] “See you in hell.”

GRANT: “You did it [stopped the countdown].”
AVON: “Yes, I did, didn't I?”
GRANT: “Why did you help me?”
AVON: “Perhaps because Anna was your sister.”

BLAKE: “Are you going to tell me about Anna?”
AVON: “You wouldn't understand.”
BLAKE: “Wouldn't I?”
AVON: “I doubt it.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

BLAKE 111
AVON 89
GRANT 87
CAUDER 59
VILA 34
PROVINE 26
JENNA 17
RALLI 17
SELSON 12
ARRIAN 10
VETNOR 10
CALLY 8
TRONOS 6
TOTAL 486

ANALYSIS: “Countdown” is about well... a countdown! It’s an old cliché, but it works really well here, simply because... well really it’s not about a countdown at all, but rather giving Avon a back story.

The key to this episode are the scenes between Avon and Del Grant, as they discuss Anna, Del’s sister and Avon’s former lover. It not also leads to a sequel in Season C, but also the return of Del Grant in Big Finish’s Liberator Chronicles. But once again, it’s Blake, the driver of the plotline, who tops the dialogue chart.

The disparity between Liberator crew members is at its most extreme here. Blake & Avon tot up 200 lines between them, Vila has 34, but Jenna & Cally have just 25 lines between them, with Cally on a paltry 8... that’s even less than Gan in “Breakdown”. And Zen and Orac aren’t in the episode at all.

I was really surprised here to see that Blake still had a substantially bigger portion of the lines, despite this being what I would call an Avon "feature episode". The other telling factor is that most of the lines you quoted were Avon's and the ones us fans (I generalise here) most remember. Perhaps then, quality is more important than quantity???
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
meegat39 wrote:
still had a substantially bigger portion of the lines, despite this being what I would call an Avon "feature episode". The other telling factor is that most of the lines you quoted were Avon's and the ones us fans (I generalise here) most remember. Perhaps then, quality is more important than quantity???

Meegat - Avon has only finished ahead of Blake in one episode out of 23 so far... Deliverance.

Much of Blake's dialogue is often of quite a functional nature, for instance he's normally the one giving Zen instuructions, etc. That's not to say there aren't some good Blake quotes about.

Avon and Vila do have probably the most interesting dialogue (oh, and Servalan of course). I did make the "quality more important than quantity point" with Vila in Season A.

trevor travis
B11: GAMBIT

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

CHENIE: “Do all your ex-patients try to kill you?”
DOCHOLLI: “Thirty of them have every right, Chenie. I should never have done it. Never!”

“Speed chess. The only game of skill in this establishment.” [Points her baton at the Klute.] The Klute challenges all comers. A win or a draw gets you a million -- one million credits, Mes amis. Win or draw against the Klute. The biggest prize in the galaxy. Now come on, all you space trekkers. Put your life on the line and beat the Klute at speed chess. Win a fortune!” (The CROUPIER addresses the customers at the Big Wheel)

KRANTOR: “Ah! Commander Servalan. Welcome, welcome, welcome! This is indeed a pleasure. You may go, Toise. We so rarely receive an emissary from the Federation here in Freedom City. I am, Commander, transfixed with delight!” [he kisses her hand]
SERVALAN: “Supreme Commander.”
KRANTOR: “Ah! My apologies. Supreme Commander. Pray, be seated.”

SERVALAN: “You appear to have misunderstood my message, Krantor. I am not here officially.”
KRANTOR: “But of course. I understood - perfectly. Discretion and delicacy are the very watchwords of my organization. Just tell me your requirements and I will see that you are provided with the most sophisticated, and subtle, forms of satisfaction.”
SERVALAN: “You have misunderstood. I am here unofficially but on Federation business.”

KRANTOR: “Toise, are you sure that head gear is part of the uniform?”
TOISE: “It is of the period, Krantor.”
KRANTOR: “It looks a little heavy.”
TOISE: “May I say that your own costume is ... is quite magnificent. It really suits you.”
KRANTOR: “Yes, it does, doesn't it? My designer tells me that it is patterned upon the attire of someone called the Prince Regent. Oh, what a pity that everyone doesn't enter into the spirit of Carnival – of Mardi Gras - as wholeheartedly as you and I.”

“Krantor wins both ways. Rule of the house.” (KRANTOR to TOISE)

VILA: “They say it's wide open.”
AVON: “What is?”
VILA: “Freedom City.”
AVON: “So I've heard. Wide, wide open.”
VILA: “Got everything a man ever dreams of, they say.”
AVON: “Space City pales by comparison, they say.”
VILA: “You know, if it was a desert down there, so hot your eyeballs frizzled, poisonous snakes under every rock...”
AVON: “Blake would have sent us.”
VILA: “You can bet on it.”

VILA: “What's on your mind?”
AVON: “The Big Wheel is run by a computer that fixes the odds at five percent in favour of the house, right?”
VILA: “Right.”
AVON: “Right. Orac reads computers.”
VILA: “Oh, that is beautiful! Avon, there are times when I almost get to like you.”
AVON: “Yes, well, that makes it all worthwhile.”
VILA: “I mean, you give me a warm feeling right here, around the money belt.”

CHENIE: “You've saved his [Docholli] life twice. Why?”
TRAVIS: “It's my noble nature.”
CHENIE: “Oh, yes, Travis. I can see. It shines from your one yellow eye.”

JARRIERE: “Oh, you don't trust Krantor.”
SERVALAN: “He is a despicable animal. When the Federation finally cleans out this cesspit, I shall have that vulpine degenerate eviscerated with a small and very blunt knife.”

[Cally & Jenna cause a diversion]
CALLY: “What did you call me?”
JENNA: “A cheap little space tramp.”
CALLY: “You slut!”
JENNA: “A ten-credit touch!” [A catfight then ensues]

JARRIERE: “It's over an hour, Commander. Krantor should have delivered Docholli by now.”
SERVALAN: “Krantor doesn't have Docholli. He was lying.”
JARRIERE: “I don't understand.”
SERVALAN: “Krantor had planted a bug on Travis. He overheard everything that went on in this room.”
JARRIERE: “Oh, yes, but I...”
SERVALAN: “He overheard us planning to use Travis to kill Docholli. That pathetic little ploy was just an attempt to gain time while his men find Docholli.”
JARRIERE: “Oh, I see.”
SERVALAN: “Do you, Jarriere? Do you see at all?”
JARRIERE: “Um. Krantor doesn't want Docholli killed until he's learned what secret he carries.”
SERVALAN: “Exactly.”
JARRIERE: “It's a risk, Supreme Commander. Suppose Travis doesn't get to Docholli first?”
SERVALAN: “He probably won't. Krantor will try to kill him.”
JARRIERE: “But if that's what you expected...”
SERVALAN: “Not just expect, Jarriere. I want Travis killed. Because that will establish, beyond doubt, Krantor's intentions.”
JARRIERE: “Ah, you mean ... uh ... I'm not following.”
SERVALAN: “Krantor has Travis killed to protect Docholli. Later he will send us Docholli's body. It will be obvious that he has extorted the secret of Star One. Therefore Krantor himself will be placed on the Council's death list. Now do you see?” [Jarriere shakes his head] “The secret of Star One's location is of no use to a criminal like Krantor. However, that knowledge can bring about his death. Not only that. With any luck the Federation will be finally convinced, as I have argued for years, that we can no longer tolerate this pestilential rat hole so close to our own territories. Freedom City will be finally burnt out.”
JARRIERE: “And this was all in your mind before we came here, Supreme Commander?”
SERVALAN: “Eradicating this planet has long been in my mind, Jarriere. Events, and Krantor, have played into my hands.”
JARRIERE: “Then all that can go wrong, Excellency, is if Travis eludes Krantor's men and reaches Docholli.”
SERVALAN: “Even then, it won't go wrong. You see, I've allowed for that possibility, too, Jarriere.”

“Friends and patrons! Your attention, please. I have an important announcement. Vila, this gallant sporting gentleman, has agreed to end the evening with one final wager. Friends, he has agreed to challenge the Klute at speed chess!” [Avon, surprised, spits out his food.] “The terms of the game are: if Vila loses, he pays the usual penalty, but if he wins or draws, then I have promised to double his winnings. Yes, friends, he will leave here with ten million credits.” (KRANTOR to the occupants of the Big Wheel)

TRAVIS: “All right, Blake, if you're man enough, kill me now.”
BLAKE: “Our quarrel is with the Federation, not with you.”
JENNA: “Give me the gun, then.”
BLAKE: “That would be mercy. Are you feeling particularly merciful?”

BLAKE: “Vila, I don't like that innocent look. What have you two been up to whilst we've been away?”
VILA: “Me? Nothing. Had a little sleep.”
AVON: “Played a little chess.”
VILA: “Played a little chess.
AVON: “And that's all.” [Behind them, Orac returns to normal size]
VILA: “That's right, Blake. We had a real quiet time.”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

SERVALAN 61
KRANTOR 58
CHENIE 52
TRAVIS 43
BLAKE 42
AVON 39
VILA 38
DOCHOLLI 37
JARRIERE 31
JENNA 22
CEVEDIC 19
TOISE 18
CALLY 17
ORAC 11
CROUPIER 6
ZEE 5
VOICE 1
HENCHMAN 1
TOTAL 501

ANALYSIS: “Gambit” is a wonderful script by Robert Holmes, with the search for Star One pushed into the background by a delightful plot, with Servalan at his most scheming, Travis as a character right out of a Western, while Avon and Vila cheat the Big Wheel out of the fortune.

The dialogue in B7 has never sparkled so much, with colourful wording that makes one search for the nearest dictionary! And not only do you need an English dictionary, but a French one!

With Travis and Servalan both present and also a number of wonderful guest characters, the dialogue is really spread around here – Servalan receives the most dialogue, but with just 61 lines (12%). Apart from his Terminal cameo, this is the fewest lines Blake ever receives in an episode – he languishes down in an unheard-of fifth place. As in “Weapon”, the Liberator crew receive just 34% of the dialogue.

Robert Holmes really likes his double acts and there are several in “Gambit”: Krantor and Toise; Servalan and Jarriere (or her “powder puff” as Travis calls him); Avon and Vila.
Edited by trevor travis on 15 February 2014 18:57:31

trevor travis
B12: THE KEEPER

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

AVON: “If you find the brain print, and consequently the location of Star One, what then?”
BLAKE: “Finish what we started. “
AVON: “Destroy it?”
BLAKE: “Of course. And the entire Federation with it. Does that bother you suddenly?”
AVON: “Star One is the automatic computer control centre for the entire Federation.”
BLAKE: “Get to the point, Avon.”
AVON: “That is the point. Through Star One we could control everything. The Federation could belong to us.”
VILA: “I could be president... or we can take it in turns.”
BLAKE: “You ready to go, Vila?”
VILA: “Why not? Now that would be worth the risks we're taking.”
AVON: “Blake is afraid that power would corrupt him.”
BLAKE: “That sort of power would corrupt anyone.”

AVON: “Can you think of a better way to stop Travis finding Star One?”
ZEN: “Target will be in strike range in exactly two minutes.”
CALLY: “No indication that he's seen us.”
AVON: “Good. I have no objection to shooting him in the back.”

CALLY: “So much for Travis. Mind you, you could hardly miss at that range.”
AVON: “What did you want me to do? Give him a sporting chance?”

TRAVIS: “Look, Star One is the computer control centre. It controls the climate on more than two hundred worlds, communications, security, food production, it controls them all. It is the key to our very lives. Think of all that power.”
SERVALAN: “You can see why the Council themselves don't know where Star One is. In the wrong hands...”
TRAVIS: “Yes, but in the right hands: yours and mine.”
SERVALAN: “Be very careful you don't overreach yourself, Travis.”

CALLY: “If we leave here, we leave Blake alone again.”
AVON: “This is an ideal opportunity.”
CALLY: “Not this time.”
AVON: “She [Servalan’s ship] will be out of range in one minute. We will never get her.”
CALLY: “All right, then. We'll never get her.”
AVON: “Cally, listen.”
CALLY: “No!”

GOLA: “Tara, what do you think of the girl?”
TARA: “You think to take her to pair-bond.”
GOLA: “How do you know that? But you're right. I need a line to follow me. I need sons, to kill my brother if he kills me first.”
TARA: “He will try that, that is as certain as our eyes.”

TARA: “Yes, you are very lovely. I think my brother will pair-bond with you. The vapour tells me how deeply he desires this.”
JENNA: “I don't think you need the vapour to tell you that. You don't want me to bond with him, do you? You would rather I left Goth and never returned.”
TARA: “Possibly.”
JENNA: “If I stay, you're afraid that I might take some of your powers away.”
TARA: “The vapour says that if you remain here, you may die.”
JENNA: “Once I know who the keeper is, I will go, I promise. Would you help me?”
TARA: “Yes, I would help you to go, if I knew who The Keeper was.”

GOLA: “I'd send you down below.”
SERVALAN: “You lay a finger on me and the Federation battle fleets will blast you to ashes. You and all your tents.”
GOLA: “We are a long way under the ground. Do not be sure any bomb would reach us.”
SERVALAN: “There is not a hole deep enough for you to hide in.”

“Don't leave me here, at least leave me a torch. I don't like the dark. I like to see what I'm scared of.” (VILA to GUARD)

“I may not kill you after all. A lifetime with Gola would be very educational for you.” (SERVALAN to JENNA)

GOLA: Splendid! Your friend [Vila] is a good fool. I will keep him here with me forever. Like you, eh, my sweet pair-bond partner.”
JENNA: “Of course.”
GOLA: “Tara, tell us the future. I'm in a mood to know. Will I be happy with my sweet pair-bond partner?”
TARA: “No.”
GOLA: “What?”
TARA: “You will not have her.”
GOLA: “You talk nonsense.”
TARA: “The vapour sees a duel of the blood.”

“That's it then. Long live President Travis. We might as well lock the door and stay where we are.” (VILA to BLAKE & JENNA, thinking only Travis has the location of Star One)

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

GOLA 81
BLAKE 67
JENNA 65
TARA 50
VILA 50
AVON 45
CALLY 29
SERVALAN 27
FOOL 21
TRAVIS 18
ROD 17
ZEN 16
OLD MAN 10
PATROL LEADER 5
GOTH 1
TOTAL 502

ANALYSIS: “The Keeper”, as the penultimate episode of Season B, is a peculiar mixture, with its primitive setting on the world of Goth, but with the Star One story arc really starting to build - this a quest episode.

For the second successive episode, Blake does not top the dialogue chart - instead that prize goes to Gola, only the second man (behind Renor in “Breakdown” ) in 25 episodes to realise Jenna is a “beautiful woman”. With Gareth Thomas set to leave at the end of the season, it’s possible that the production team were making a conscious decision not to place Blake so much at the centre of things. But Blake still has more dialogue than the other members of the Liberator crew.

Jenna - who winds Gola around her little finger - has her strongest episode of Season B, with a 13% share of the dialogue. For the only time in Season B, she is given more dialogue than Avon (in Season A, she had more dialogue than him in 7 of the 12 episodes in which they both appeared).

trevor travis
B13: STAR ONE

SELECTED DIALOGUE:

DURKIM: “You mean unthinkable, don't you? Look, everything you've just seen has one common denominator.”
SERVALAN: “Computers.”
DURKIM: “Not computers. Computer. Singular. Very singular indeed. Our unbeatable control and coordination centre.”
SERVALAN: “No!”
DURKIM: “Servalan, by design or accident Star One is failing.”

SERVALAN: “Star One is the most secure installation in the Federation.”
DURKIM: “I know that.”
SERVALAN: “Do you know why it's so thoroughly secure?”
DURKIM: “Well, presumably because knowledge of its location is severely restricted.”
SERVALAN: “No! Knowledge of its location is non-existent. Durkim, no one knows where Star One is! No-one at all!”

JENNA: “It's a long way out, Blake - a long way from the edge of the galaxy.”
CALLY: “It's infinity. You're asking us to plunge out into infinity.”

AVON: “Why are you listening to this drivel, Blake? We can take Star One, let's get on with it.”
JENNA: “Very stirring. When did you become a believer?”
AVON: “Are you just going to sit there? You have led them by the nose before.”
BLAKE: “Excuse me, are you going to answer her question?”
AVON: “Show me someone who believes in anything and I will show you a fool.”
BLAKE: “I meant what I said on Goth, Avon. We are not going to use Star One to rule the Federation, we are going to destroy it.”
AVON: “I never doubted that. I never doubted your fanaticism. As far as I am concerned you can destroy whatever you like. You can stir up a thousand revolutions, you can wade in blood up to your armpits. Oh, and you can lead the rabble to victory, whatever that might mean. Just so long as there is an end to it. When Star One is gone it is finished, Blake. And I want it finished. I want it over and done with. I want to be free.”
CALLY: “But you are free now, Avon.”
AVON: “I want to be free... of him.”
BLAKE: “I never realized. You really do hate me, don't you?”
AVON: “When we have dealt with Star One, I will take you back to Earth and then the Liberator is mine, agreed?”
BLAKE: “Agreed. Assuming the others go along with it.”
JENNA: “Why should we?”
VILA: “Yes, why should we? It's all a bit high-handed if you ask me.”

CALLY: “Are we fanatics?”
BLAKE: “Does it matter?”
CALLY: “Many, many people will die without Star One.”
BLAKE: “I know.”
CALLY: “Are you sure that what we're going to do is justified?”
BLAKE: “It has to be. Don't you see, Cally? If we stop now then all we have done is senseless killing and destruction. Without purpose, without reason. We have to win. It's the only way I can be sure that I was right.”
CALLY: “That you were right?”

SERVALAN: “Space Command no longer recognises the authority of the President or of the Council.”
DURKIM: “I don't think I understand.”
SERVALAN: “We are the only force capable of handling the present emergency.”
DURKIM: “I doubt if even we can do that.”
SERVALAN: “The President and those members of the Council who are unable to accept the realities of the situation are even now being arrested, as are those of our own people whose loyalties may be divided. At a time like this complete unity is an absolute essential.”

INTERCOM VOICE: “Blake and his crew. The strategy programs have all come up blank on the possible courses they took.”
SERVALAN: “Run them again.”
INTERCOM VOICE: “But, Supreme Commander...”
SERVALAN: “Run them again! [turns intercom off] “I will not be President of a ruined empire.”

JENNA: “Watch yourselves, Blake's rushing things. I get the feeling he's not giving himself time to think.”
AVON: “Blake is an idealist, Jenna. He cannot afford to think.”

AVON: “Travis. Fancy meeting you here.”
TRAVIS: “Put the gun down, Avon, it's too late to stop it now.”
AVON: “Convince me”.
TRAVIS: “Be polite and I may let you live.”
AVON: “Be informative and I may let you die. You'll want that after I've shot off an arm and a leg or two.”
TRAVIS: “I thought you were supposed to be the one with brains?”
AVON: “Brains but no heart. Now talk or scream, Travis, the choice is yours.”

ORAC: “A cursory examination of the relevant Star One systems indicates that this defence zone is one of a number of such zones located at strategic points on the rim of that section of the galaxy colonised by mankind.”
VILA: “Then they are expecting an invasion? A hoard of hairy aliens.”
ORAC: “There is no logical reason why aliens should be hairy.”

LURENA: “What are they?” [She looks at the dead form of an alien]
AVON: “Unfriendly. Which is fortunate, really. They'd be difficult to love.”

“The final act.” (TRAVIS deactivates the first part of the anti-matter minefield, therefore betraying humanity. They prove to be his final words)

BLAKE: “Is he dead, Avon? Is Travis dead?” [Avon shoots Travis, who is getting back to his feet after being shot by Blake. Travis falls into the well in the centre of the room and plunges to his death]
AVON “He is now.” [He kneels by the badly wounded Blake] “Are you?”
BLAKE: “I've had better days.”

“Avon, for what it is worth, I have always trusted you, from the very beginning.” (BLAKE)

VILA: “Avon, this is stupid!”
AVON: “When did that ever stop us?”

LINES OF DIALOGUE:

AVON 75
BLAKE 74
VILA 46
SERVALAN 43
JENNA 40
DURKIM 38
CALLY 33
STOTT 33
LURENA 23
ORAC 14
PARTON 13
ZEN 11
TRAVIS 10
KELDAN CONTROL 9
NOVA QUEEN PILOT 9
VOICE 9
LEETH 5
MARKOV 4
INTERROGATOR 1
TOTAL 490

ANALYSIS: “Star One” is a tension-filled, dramatic end to Season B. It’s the most in-house episode, written by the script editor (Chris Boucher) and directed by the producer (David Maloney).

Avon is given most lines of dialogue for the first time since “Deliverance”, appropriately moving ahead of Blake in the final scene, after the seriously injured Blake has handed over leadership to Avon.

An end-of-season episode needs to give all the regulars their fair share of dialogue and “Star One” achieves that. This is some really cracking dialogue here. Once again it becomes a juggling act to which dialogue to quote and which not to.

Travis has surprisingly few lines, but it is still a fitting farewell to the character, as he betrays humanity to the aliens. Of course, it’s also the final episode for Jenna (she is Liberator bound, but makes the important decision to contact Servalan), and the last episode for a long time with Blake.

“Star One” is the end of an era – and the end of the first half of B7. When B7 returns for Season C, it will be quite a different show and one without its eponymous character.
Edited by trevor travis on 15 February 2014 19:01:22

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.45 seconds
9,101,845 unique visits since 8th January 2014