Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
August 2016 Artwork FanFic Challenge - by Rainesz
littlesue
BTW Paula and Huggy...
...When is this zine coming out? It sounds like a fab read!
And another Scorpio...with a deadly bite. That last line sent shivers down my spine.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Rainesz
Oooohhh!! Travisina, That was WONDERFUL! I loved it!! The ghostly voices and the last plaintive line from Orac. Beautifully written.

Rainesz
@Paula: That was hilarious. Grin I almost want to make a version of the picture with the magazine type on it and the issue's featured articles.

Anniew
Great stuff. I love the meta fiction Paula and Travisina - you've taken an idea that had and used it so beautifully that I'm glad I didn't get to use it!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Rainesz
Travisina, of special interest to me about your story is that there ARE a local group of mountains where I live in Arizona called the Superstitions where legend has it that people were lured off cliffs by hallucinations ("ghosts" ) or just possibly knocked down by high winds. So this makes your story extra cool, lol!Wink

Also some of the rock formations here in AZ look a little like the illustration. My UK friends joke that I live on Mars.

Travisina
Rainesz wrote:

@Paula: That was hilarious. Grin I almost want to make a version of the picture with the magazine type on it and the issue's featured articles.

Please do, that would be VERY cool!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
Rainesz wrote:

Travisina, of special interest to me about your story is that there ARE a local group of mountains where I live in Arizona called the Superstitions where legend has it that people were lured off cliffs by hallucinations ("ghosts" ) or just possibly knocked down by high winds. So this makes your story extra cool, lol!Wink

That's very cool - and a bit spooky! I had no idea it was a real place.

@Anniew - sorry for stealing a march on your idea - but why not write it anyway? It's bound to be different and very good Smile

Rainesz
That's very cool - and a bit spooky! I had no idea it was a real place.

@Anniew - sorry for stealing a march on your idea - but why not write it anyway? It's bound to be different and very good Smile[/quote]

@Travisina: Well, the rock formations in my picture were inspired by a very exaggerated, more alien version of Monument Valley (Northern Arizona, near the Grand Canyon) but your story brings to mind the Superstition Mountains closer to where I live, which has smaller outcrops of rock but a spookier legend, lol. (The Apaches said it was the entrance to the underworld. Brrrr.) So yeah, best that Avon and Vila (and Orac) get out of there quickly and go get some chocolates for Soolin instead.
(Dayna and Tarrant need chocolate too for that matter.)

Also your line: "The wind had sculpted the rocks into strange formations, and now sighed and grumbled around them like a dissatisfied artist." I know THIS feeling well, heh heh.

@Anniew: yes, please write a version too!! Grin

ALL of these stories are SO good!!! Grin Thank you so much, everyone! This is huge fun.

Anniew
It reminded Vila of Zondar. No night, thanks to its twin stars. It must be hot as lava when they blazed at their highest but it was cooler now. Bearable but still too warm for his taste, especially with the scorching breaths of wind that ruffled the sand and coated his face with grit. Avon of course was hardly sweating. Cold blooded: that was Vila's guess - like a lizard needing warmth to awaken his system. And of course he wasn't lugging Orac. No, that privilege belonged to Vila.

Why were they here? Avon had told the others they were off to Caldor shopping for a component for the ventilation system, and had then diverted Scorpio to this benighted place where he had ignored all questions, merely instructing Slave to maintain orbit while he and Vila transported down. He had brought Orac but soon handed the burden to Vila while he scouted ahead, gun raised theatrically, jacket flaring in the wind, for all the world as if he was starring in some dramatic scenario of his own devising...which in a sense he was. Reluctantly but stoically, Vila trudged behind him. There seemed nothing here to warrant their attention but it would do no good to challenge Avon. Since Terminal, Avon had changed. Losing the Liberator and perhaps losing Cally, had scoured away the rationality that had characterised him even at his worst, revealing something implacable, a bedrock of anger and suspicion as impenetrable as the hard ground they were traversing and about as comforting.

Ahead, Avon stopped and tilted his head as if listening for something, then imperiously raised his arm, summoning Vila forward. He gestured again, this time indicating Vila should place Orac on a flattish rock, then he inserted its key and appeared to address the sky. "Well?" he demanded.

Orac whirred into life.

+ "Well" is not a logical question. If you require information, kindly frame your request...+

"Orac," Avon cut in dangerously. "Have you found it?"

+ Yes.+ Orac terminated his response with an irritated whine.

" And?"

+ If you are referring to the presence of the colony, it is precisely 4.3 meters to your right behind that overhang of rock.+

" Thank you." Avon removed the key again and then moved in the direction Orac had indicated.

Intrigued, Vila followed at a safe distance. As he approached the rocky overhang, a faint noise began to fill his mind, like a thousand voices scuffling and whispering together. It was familiar but it wasn't until Avon reached into his pocket and pulled out the little flat disc that he recognised it as the sound of a colony of Moon Discs.

Daring Vila to comment, Avon bent and gently placed the creature on the ground. It paused for a moment, almost as if hesitating and then shuffled quickly to join the other Discs basking together in the starlight.

Avon watched it, an indecipherable expression on his face. Then he turned and moved into an area away from the rocks and touched his bracelet.

"Bring Orac," he ordered and, as Vila struggled to join him, " Slave, transport us now."

The sparkles of their outlines hung in the air for a moment after they had departed until a gust of wind scattered them, obliterating all traces of their presence. Only the Moon Disc remembered that they had been there. And was grateful.
Edited by Anniew on 23 August 2016 16:04:13

littlesue
Oh Anniew....that is so cute....pass the tissues please........................
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Rainesz
Oh Anniew, the Moon Discs! I had always wished they would return and this is so touching. (excuse me, *blows nose*)
One has to wonder how Avon might have rescued the disc from the destroyed Liberator. Had it been with Cally when he found her? Had she given it to him for safe keeping at some point? There's a whole other story waiting there. Grin (And it seemed a little reluctant to leave him!)
This was lovely and nicely written!!
Edited by Rainesz on 24 August 2016 05:30:46

Hugbot
So beautiful and moving, Anniew - loved it! Smile

Travisina
Annie, that's magnificent. Beautiful and moving.

Anniew
A bit more Moon Disc Stuff

Back in the rec room, Avon put his feet up on the table and lay back against the couch, cradling his glass. It had been a tiring journey- he was reluctant to admit that it had also been an emotional one but he was too honest to deny privately that finding a home for Cally's Moon Disc had been wholly motivated by sentiment. Yes, caring for the creature would have involved a little effort but Dayna would have been happy to take on that responsibility. Yes, seeing it brought back unpleasant memories - Cally's body, bloody and crushed; the creature sitting on her temple as if trying to communicate with her - but he had only to destroy it and the trigger to those memories would be gone.

Except, logical though the alternatives were, he couldn't bring himself to do either. Deprived of a telepathic companion, it might well have sickened and died; he had been unwilling to risk that. And destroying it would have been like killing the last bit of Cally. He had had to find it a home.

Relocating the Moon Disc had proved comforting, something he had not anticipated; as if by doing so, Cally's spirit, her indomitable spirit, lived on in some way. He recalled that she had first taken to keeping the Moon Disc about her person after the destruction of Auron. She said that its telepathic vibrations brought her some peace, soothing the violent storms of grief that threatened to overwhelm her. Following her possession by the Alien, she had carried it more often, for protection she said. She felt it had strengthened her ability to resist total absorption. He had been startled but not surprised to find it on her dead body. What had amazed him was that he had felt its vibrations tickling his mind and he had shared it's bewilderment and pain at finding itself suddenly alone. Without thinking, he had picked it up and even spoken to it soothingly - there, there, you're not alone now - something idiotic like that: he felt his colour rise as he recalled the moment.

Well that was over now. He could put it behind him. Cally was dead - as they all would be one day: probably sooner rather than later. Life, such as it was, went on. Yet he couldn't quite repress a sense of optimism. The Moon Disc colony would continue to flourish far from Federation interference. Maybe, if he could recruit sufficient experts to help him with the task, he might also succeed in freeing others from its oppressive rule and his future hold something more hopeful than the drive for revenge.

Angry Angel
Lovely Anniew, and a nice little coda too.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Rainesz
Whoever's chopping onions, stop it. Stop it this instant. Pfft

Beautiful, Annie. <3 (Oh, Avon, you Tin Woodsman...) What a sweet epilogue.

purplecleric
Turning Point

Oh, when?

Look at me.
When did I grow so bold?
When did I change from loner to leader?
When did I get old?

Look at him.
When did he turn into a stranger?
When did I beware him more than our pursuers?
When did he become a danger?

When did I start to look like a hero and feel like a fraud?
When did I begin to act without thinking?
When did I stop caring about his drinking?

When did I start taking lives, not possessions?
When did his voice start to chill?
When did I lose the will?

When did fun become fear?
When did his motives become less clear?
When did mine?

When did he forsake logic for whim?
When did Orac become more my friend than him?
When did my weakness cease to be an act?

When did we prefer to stand and fight, not run?
When did the favourite tool in my hand become a gun?
When did it all go wrong?

Oh, when?

Rainesz
I love it!! Magnificent: the disintegration of Vila and Avon's friendship. (This needs to be set to music.)
Thank you @purplecleric for coming in under the wire!

"When did he forsake logic for whim?
When did Orac become more my friend than him?
When did my weakness cease to be an act?" <3

Once more: Thank you everyone again!! All these ficlets are superb and this was so much fun to check my messages and find new ones! I'm honored and very flattered to have had such great stories written about my picture.

Hugbot
Lovely epilogue to your moon disk story, Anniew. The moon disk on Cally's temples is a very touching detail.

PC, your Avon/Vila poem is chillingly brilliant. Sums up perfectly the downslide of our heroes.

Rainesz
@Anniew, now you make me want to do an illustration of Cally and her Moon Disc (with Avon looking thoughtful in the background)
Also, I've been wanting to do a picture of Blake for weeks now...
Argh, I have quite a few illustration projects I need to finish for people, but I'm dying to do more Blake's 7!! (makes notes for later...) Pfft

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 3.18 seconds
9,170,110 unique visits since 8th January 2014