Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

 Print Thread
Sand
littlesue
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Would Sand be a good episode to show a person who has never seen the show before?


When Grandson expressed a wish to see another TV series that I loved, (we had just sat through all 30 episodes of The Champions) I got my B7 DVds out and started with Spacefall after explaining who this Blake was and what he was up against.
After that he wanted to see another..and another. We eventually got to see The Way Back...and he found it quite slow compared to today's shows, but still found it interesting because of what he found so fascinating in the other episodes...the things not being said and the things going on in the background.
So I think starting at the beginning...almost...would be an idea and please explain that this is a show from the 70s and that Mr Nation's remit was to create an action adventure series to replace the police drama Softly, Softly. So there will be huge plot holes, sets wobbling or even falling to pieces...but that is part of the fun. Also trying to spot bits of kitchen ware and other household items becomes an art in itself!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
ScorpioSurvivor81
Travisina wrote:

ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:
The first one I actually saw was "Blake"

Gosh. What on earth did you make of it? And how did you feel about watching the rest of the series, knowing everyone's eventual fate?

Any other suggestions? Death-Watch and Gold are pretty good ones and not so heavy on references to past episodes.

I guess it depends. Are you trying to get this person into the show (in which case, why not start at the beginning), or provide a taster of a 'typical' episode? I think a 'taster' ep from each season could be:

Season A - Seek-Locate-Destroy (for reasons explained above)
Season B - Shadow - another good ensemble piece with everyone getting something to do, good character moments and some great dialogue.
Season C - Sarcophagus (Death Watch is a wonderful ep, but its full effect is best appreciated with prior knowledge of Servalan, Dayna's feelings towards her and her previous interactions with Avon)
Season D - Traitor or Gold.

Although the first ep I saw was 'S-L-D', the second ep I ever saw was 'Rumours of Death'. Without having seen 'Countdown' (and without having got to know Avon over 2 1/2 previous series), the effect was less powerful than it otherwise might have been.



I thought it was a cracking piece of drama. Obviously, I didn't appreciate it as much as a fan who had watched all episodes previous. That was about three years ago and I've watched all 52 episodes at least three times since then.

I want to show a few members of my family the show as they don't really know what it is and why I'm so obsessed with it. I thought I'd show them a few episodes, just to show them what it's all about. Gold is one that I think they'd like and maybe Shadow.

Thanks for your help.
 
ScorpioSurvivor81
littlesue wrote:

ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Would Sand be a good episode to show a person who has never seen the show before?


When Grandson expressed a wish to see another TV series that I loved, (we had just sat through all 30 episodes of The Champions) I got my B7 DVds out and started with Spacefall after explaining who this Blake was and what he was up against.
After that he wanted to see another..and another. We eventually got to see The Way Back...and he found it quite slow compared to today's shows, but still found it interesting because of what he found so fascinating in the other episodes...the things not being said and the things going on in the background.
So I think starting at the beginning...almost...would be an idea and please explain that this is a show from the 70s and that Mr Nation's remit was to create an action adventure series to replace the police drama Softly, Softly. So there will be huge plot holes, sets wobbling or even falling to pieces...but that is part of the fun. Also trying to spot bits of kitchen ware and other household items becomes an art in itself!!!


I think the cheapness of the show is a part of its charm. I always love the occasional set wobble haha
 
AvonGreen
Sand was quite a good story, with a deceptive simple reasoning for it's outcome! I must say, that as someone who lives yards away from a popular wide sandy beach, this does leave me a touch paranoid about if local sands are 'willingly' trying to bury my home!

I like storylines that have you concentrating on details elsewhere, f
to deceive you away from something more obvious....in this case, intelligent sand!!
 
RiccledW
Absolutely superb episode,it shows Servalan is still a human being (just) we see more emotion from her in this episode than almost any other,and the writing by Tanith Lee is magnificent,one of the best series 4 episodes by some way,love it!

R.
 
Travisina
RiccledW wrote:

Absolutely superb episode,it shows Servalan is still a human being (just) we see more emotion from her in this episode than almost any other,and the writing by Tanith Lee is magnificent,one of the best series 4 episodes by some way,love it!

It's one of my fave eps of Season D - one of my faves of the whole series, actually. Tanith really understood the characters in a way that not all the guest writers managed.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
ScorpioSurvivor81
Pacey and Pearce have such wonderful chemistry.
 
JustBrad
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Pacey and Pearce have such wonderful chemistry.


... If you were the girl next door....


Apologies if you already knew this...

That's a nod to real life. Steven Pacey actually lived on the same street as Jacqueline Pearce.
 
ScorpioSurvivor81
JustBrad wrote:

ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Pacey and Pearce have such wonderful chemistry.


... If you were the girl next door....


Apologies if you already knew this...

That's a nod to real life. Steven Pacey actually lived on the same street as Jacqueline Pearce.


Nice bit of information there. I didn't actually know that. I must improve my Blake's 7 knowledge!
 
JustBrad
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:



...I must improve my Blake's 7 knowledge!


You've landed on the right planet.
 
Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

Steven Pacey actually lived on the same street as Jacqueline Pearce.

It was adjacent houseboats on Cheyne Walk - when Jacks moved in next door to Steven, they had a RL version of the 'girl next door' conversation. She told Tanith Lee who wrote it into the script!

I wish I could afford one of those... Floating Homes
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:



...I must improve my Blake's 7 knowledge!


You've landed on the right planet.

+CONFIRMED+ Frown
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.36 seconds
9,782,259 unique visits since 8th January 2014