Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: Wooks63

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Sand
Space Commander Travis
What a fantastic episode, I loved it. Very rich and colourful, and quite creepy. The sand effects in this particular story were particularly good, exceptionally well executed especially for the time. Series D has become my favourite of the four produced and this episode my favourite one to date.

Angry Angel
The fourth series is my least favourite, but I really like this episode. It's very atmospheric, and I liked having a bit of backstory on Servalan.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
JustBrad
Angry Angel wrote:

The fourth series is my least favourite, but I really like this episode. ...

Same here. The first eight episodes have a few good moments (Doctor Plaxton, Who?) but are overall, not very good.

And then come Sand Gold Orbit Warlord Blake.

And B7 wouldn't be what it is today without those episodes.

winnie-l
Space Commander Travis wrote:The sand effects in this particular story were particularly good, exceptionally well executed especially for the time.
Agreed, an excellent episode. I liked the effects both on the planet - as it creeps up the walls of the buildings to block the windows - & on Scorpio, as the tiny bit of it that came up on Dayna's boots just seemed to expand & multiply & creep towards Vila.... =:o YOIKS
Series D has become my favourite of the four produced.....
Pshew - it can sometimes be a bit of risk to stand up for Season 4! Brave man! I like Season 4 mighty fine too, but some really don't.
and this episode my favourite one to date.
Seriously - better than Episode #50 "Orbit"?

rojkerr1
one of my very favourite stories, beautifully written and executed, sad poignant, beautifully acted and very funny in places...especially Avons "OFF!"
-and Vilas anger at Soolin is very effective

sweevo
I would have liked to have seen Vila's assertive side more often (particularly when he is angry at Soolin in this episode for bringing up Cally) - maybe it was the wine finally taking effect.

briggsy1
The sand was quite black as I remember, so presumably it originated from the Canary Islands. Definitely volcanic sand.

clareblues1
briggsy1 wrote:

The sand was quite black as I remember, so presumably it originated from the Canary Islands. Definitely volcanic sand.

I thought it came from Alum Bay on the Isle of Wight. LOL
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

rojkerr1
didn't Jackie pearce faint during the making of this story? Some static build up in the metal walls of the studio during a thunderstorm?

ScorpioSurvivor81
Tanith Lee's phenomenal script is just one reason to like it. The acting, effects, overall atmosphere and direction makes "Sand" one of the best episodes of the show, and a superb piece of entertainment.

Travisina
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Tanith Lee's phenomenal script is just one reason to like it. The acting, effects, overall atmosphere and direction makes "Sand" one of the best episodes of the show, and a superb piece of entertainment.

Yes, yes and yes again - one of the best eps in Season D. It shows how well Tanith Lee understood the characters, and it's very well directed.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

ScorpioSurvivor81
Would Sand be a good episode to show a person who has never seen the show before?

Travisina
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Would Sand be a good episode to show a person who has never seen the show before?

Much as I love that ep, it wouldn't be the first one I'd start with. It references people and events from earlier eps (Cally, Sarcophagus) and it's best appreciated by people who are already familiar with the dynamics of the Scorpio crew - and Servalan.

The first ep I ever saw, and I would recommend as a starter, was Season A 'Seek-Locate-Destroy'. You've got the full Liberator crew (and the Liberator), everyone gets something to do and it's a great introduction to Servalan and Travis.

(Other opinions may vary, of course!)

ScorpioSurvivor81
Travisina wrote:

ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:

Much as I love that ep, it wouldn't be the first one I'd start with. It references people and events from earlier eps (Cally, Sarcophagus) and it's best appreciated by people who are already familiar with the dynamics of the Scorpio crew - and Servalan.

The first ep I ever saw, and I would recommend as a starter, was Season A 'Seek-Locate-Destroy'. You've got the full Liberator crew (and the Liberator), everyone gets something to do and it's a great introduction to Servalan and Travis.

(Other opinions may vary, of course!)

I'll keep Seek-Locate-Destroy in mind. The first one I actually saw was "Blake"and that certainly isn't an episode to show to a non-fan. Any other suggestions? Death-Watch and Gold are pretty good ones and not so heavy on references to past episodes.

Rainesz
I was also so thankful that Tanith Lee referenced her other story "Sarcophagus" for the sake of continuity and the characters' emotions. (Thank you, Vila, for mentioning Cally.) The moment with Orac getting goofy and telling everyone how much he loved them was hilarious (my all-time favorite Orac moment). Also, nice one having Avon fall on his posterior right after he smugly announces his alpha male status. Wink

Hugbot
Travisina wrote:

You forgot to mention that it is also the introduction to another important B7 character ... Oops

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Travisina wrote:

You forgot to mention that it is also the introduction to another important B7 character ... Oops

Of course! Who could forget the Hugbot?

Travisina
ScorpioSurvivor81 wrote:
The first one I actually saw was "Blake"

Gosh. What on earth did you make of it? And how did you feel about watching the rest of the series, knowing everyone's eventual fate?

Any other suggestions? Death-Watch and Gold are pretty good ones and not so heavy on references to past episodes.

I guess it depends. Are you trying to get this person into the show (in which case, why not start at the beginning), or provide a taster of a 'typical' episode? I think a 'taster' ep from each season could be:

Season A - Seek-Locate-Destroy (for reasons explained above)
Season B - Shadow - another good ensemble piece with everyone getting something to do, good character moments and some great dialogue.
Season C - Sarcophagus (Death Watch is a wonderful ep, but its full effect is best appreciated with prior knowledge of Servalan, Dayna's feelings towards her and her previous interactions with Avon)
Season D - Traitor or Gold.

Although the first ep I saw was 'S-L-D', the second ep I ever saw was 'Rumours of Death'. Without having seen 'Countdown' (and without having got to know Avon over 2 1/2 previous series), the effect was less powerful than it otherwise might have been.

Rainesz
My friend introduced me to B7 in the mid-eighties when it was playing on a local PBS station in Philadelphia. I was visiting her at college and she insisted we watch a marathon of selected episodes. I think the first I saw was Star One, then it jumped to Sarcophagus, which I absolutely adored because I was a Tanith Lee fan. (My friend had to explain to me at the beginning of the marathon who the characters were and their various personalities and motivations.) But I was loving the show already.

I remember vividly high-fiving my friend when Avon kissed Cally (or rather The Alien) and yelling, "TANITH!" like it was a sporting event.
Edited by Rainesz on 26 August 2016 19:54:03

JustBrad
And the one two punch of Countdown and Rumors of Death.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,449,047 unique visits since 8th January 2014