Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Struggling with Grant & Tarrant in 'Scimitar'
Space Commander Travis
I'm having quite the time with my first listen to Big Finish's 'Scimitar', I really can't differentiate between the voices of Grant and Tarrant Sad I think what makes matters worse is that, to me at least, Steven Pacey sounds nothing like he did back on the TV show. Did anyone else have this problem, and if so do you eventually become accustomed to it ?

Joe Dredd
Space Commander Travis wrote:
to me at least, Steven Pacey sounds nothing like he did back on the TV show. Did anyone else have this problem,

Yes! (to Tarrant clearly sounding 'wrong'.)

Space Commander Travis wrote:
and if so do you eventually become accustomed to it ?

No.

Anniew
Tag team Wrestling with Tarrant and Grant. In the blue corner Clare and Paula!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
Scimitar is one of my favorite Big Finish audios. I had Jason Haigh-Ellery (executive producer) sign my copy I was so impressed with it. He thanked me for my support of Big Finish and my die-hard support and adoration of Del Grant aka Tom Chadbon.

As to telling Steven Pacey from Tom Chadbon in the audio, well, I had no problem. Of course, I have met Steven many times and know his speech patterns and I can recognize him immediately, and the same for my favorite actor Tom Chadbon. Steven in the series had been made to speak in a lower register and he's sort of grown into that lower voice with the passing years. The first few audios Steven did, he seemed to try and pitch his voice higher to me but he finally gave up and just used his regular speaking voice, which matched better to my ears.

As to Tom Chadbon as Del Grant, well, I know that voice so well and his unique interpretation of the scripts. He plays Del as a sort of mildly annoyed-all-the-time no-nonsense type and if you listen you'll hear his excellent diction, no doubt learned from his time at RADA. I may be a special case, but I have no problem telling their voices apart. Perhaps upon further listenings you'll be able to spot the difference?

As for favorite Big Finish audios, after The Armageddon Storm and Scimitar, I think my favorite set of discs are the Liberator Chronicles #9 where Del and Del, (what a team!) go on a mission together down to a planet to assassinate a former Rebel now turned Federation model citizen. That is called Defector. All the discs of the set are written by my favorite set of writers Cavan Scott and Mark Wright. If you want even more Del Grant goodness, (and who doesn't?) check out the third disc of the set called Secrets, which is preformed by Michael Keating, Tom Chadbon and David Warner. The depth of the acting and the sheer experience of the actors makes it a great listen. I can't say enough for Big Finish and of course for our actors, who have proven themselves, even after more than 35 years, to be as good or better than what they were in the original series. I'm a huge fan of Big Finish and hope they continue on with more quality Blake's 7 stories to fire our imaginations for the greatest science fiction program ever.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

guiser
I definitely had a problem telling Del Grant and Tarrant apart in "Scimitar" even though I was concentrating quite hard and rewinding bits to try to detect the difference. I've also come across other people who have had the same problem.

However, I did find it easier to detect the difference on subsequent cds. So eventually I could hear something. However, it was also the case that with the later audios it was easier to tell who was speaking from the context and content of the utterances. If I remember rightly they tended to split the 2 characters up more. Whether that was just a fluke or BF twigged to the problem I cannot say.

I prefer Tarrant's "original" voice but I did get used to the new one eventually.

Space Commander Travis
guiser wrote:

I definitely had a problem telling Del Grant and Tarrant apart in "Scimitar" even though I was concentrating quite hard and rewinding bits to try to detect the difference. I've also come across other people who have had the same problem.

However, I did find it easier to detect the difference on subsequent cds. So eventually I could hear something. However, it was also the case that with the later audios it was easier to tell who was speaking from the context and content of the utterances. If I remember rightly they tended to split the 2 characters up more. Whether that was just a fluke or BF twigged to the problem I cannot say.

I prefer Tarrant's "original" voice but I did get used to the new one eventually.

Cool, glad it's not just me, and it's reassuring to know that others have had the same issue. Frankly I've found it really off putting, and with Pacey's voice being SO different to how it sounds in the TV series it's quite thrown me.

dragonq
I didn't have a problem telling their voices apart; what I found annoying was the fact that they were both called Del! As Steven Pacey said in one of the extras, what sort of mother calls her son, Del? Presumably one who calls her other son Deeta. I think Steven Pacey has probably given up on the voice he adopted for Tarrant in the TV show, figuring that, after so many years, it didn't matter. (He's on record somewhere as saying that he was trying to sound older as he was much younger than the script specified and got stuck with it.) I agree he sounds totally different, but I have heard him in other audios and am now quite used to it.

Mistletoe12
dragonq wrote:

I didn't have a problem telling their voices apart; what I found annoying was the fact that they were both called Del! As Steven Pacey said in one of the extras, what sort of mother calls her son, Del? Presumably one who calls her other son Deeta.

I have a relative called Del - short for Derek. Maybe Tarrant's mother went straight for the short when naming her son Wink

JustBrad
dragonq wrote:

I didn't have a problem telling their voices apart; what I found annoying was the fact that they were both called Del!

I think Terry Nation / Chris Boucher just liked the name.

Del Tarrant, Del Grant, Del 10, and then the almost identical Dev.

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

dragonq wrote:

I didn't have a problem telling their voices apart; what I found annoying was the fact that they were both called Del!

I think Terry Nation / Chris Boucher just liked the name.

Del Tarrant, Del Grant, Del 10, and then the almost identical Dev.

I think it's just another riff on Terry's own name - Terry is often shortened to 'Tel', which is not unlike 'Del'. And we have Tel Varon, as well as all the Tarrants.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

dragonq
That's a definite possibility. Also, there is a definite trend towards one syllable names for males. Del is odd though; in the context of that society you'd be condemning your child to playground taunts of Del-ta.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.34 seconds
9,104,740 unique visits since 8th January 2014