Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 1
Lorna

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
July 2016 Artwork FanFic Challenge - by Atomicmayo
Travisina
65.media.tumblr.com/54711030b39edf13b62e7dedfd2a1ad9/tumblr_o816ypGwMV1uqi1nzo1_1280.jpg
(Click on the image to see the larger version)

Atomicmayo's challenge for July is called Before and After.

Post your stories here...

This picture and other artwork by Atomicmayo is also available to buy as T shirts, posters etc through Redbubble.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Hugbot
Debriefing

They leaned on the railings and looked down to the centre of the tracking gallery where the troopers began to drag away their bodies.

‘You look horrible’, Avon said, pointing towards Blake’s corpse.

Blake scoffed. ‘You weren’t exactly the same man I met a few years ago, either’, he answered, ‘the flamboyant hairdo, the affected grin ... I couldn’t believe my eyes that the sober, logical computer expert had turned into such a buffoon.’ He shook his head and looked at Avon. Their astral bodies were of course invisible, but to each other they presented themselves in the shape they had had aboard the London.

‘When did we start to change?’ Blake asked.

‘We didn’t start to change at a specific point in time. It was a long process during all those years.’

‘No, I don’t think so. I think it began when I left the Liberator. You know what they say: The worst thing that can happen to you is that all your dreams come true. You were in charge now but you were not up to it. You could excel as the grey eminence, but leading was not your strength. You are too much of a technician. You can find a way to a given destination but you lack the vision to set up a destination worth finding a way to.’

Avon did not contradict him. In this limbo, they were beyond saving their faces.

‘I needed you to find a worthy goal’, he admitted, ‘but you needed me to find the way. Without my assistance, you got lost. Your zeal got the better of you.’

They looked down to the centre of the room again. Vila squatted beside his corpse in disbelief about what had happened. Soolin, Dayna and Tarrant stood there still trying to figure out what was going on.

‘What are we doing now?’ Avon asked.

Blake pointed towards a Federation trooper who walked towards a door leading deeper into the base. ‘We can help the revolution’, he smiled, ‘we could start by playing the guardian angels for her.’

‘Her?’ Avon had a closer look at the trooper. Although no human eye could see through the disguise, he immediately recognised her. Being dead obviously had its advantages.

‘Jenna!’

‘She is on her way to the power plant. Rigging up some surprises for Servalan. She will be here tomorrow to celebrate this massacre.’

‘There is a high risk that Jenna or her little surprises will be discovered in the meantime.’

‘Well ... we can try do prevent that, can’t we?’

Avon laughed. ‘It looks as if we are back where we started’, he smiled.

‘Ah, yes, back in the good old times’, a familiar voice exclaimed. When Blake and Avon turned around, they saw Gan approaching them, a big smile on his face.

‘And I think we make a good team’, he added.

purplecleric
@Hugbot Blake and Avon as Guardian Angels? More like the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other - and I'll leave you to decide which is which! Good job Jenna's got Gan to moderate.

Ellen York
Hugbot, you captured them perfectly. I could hear their voices as I was reading. And yay for Jenna surviving and Gan getting in on the action. This could be the start of a whole series of stories!

Hugbot
purplecleric wrote:

@Hugbot Blake and Avon as Guardian Angels? More like the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other - and I'll leave you to decide which is which!

Or two devils - ?

BradPaula
Wanted: Dead or Alive

The young woman adjusted her collar as she stood at the entrance of the Federation Postal Nexus in the Alpha sector of the Dome. Her two young children stood close to her, their eyes wide with wonder. They had never been in this sector before let alone riding on the underground shuttle tram. Their mother, a Delta grade by birth, worked in this sector every day and was at the Nexus to post a small package. Her older sister, who had emigrated to the secondary moon in the system, was about to celebrate her birthday and Dione wanted to do something nice for her. She had saved for months to buy a flowery card, a fifteen minute vis-tape and a small box of sweets for her only living relative. She opened the door and herding her children in before her, found the nearest line and queued.

The children were agog with all the new sights. Federation guards stood at the door in full uniform. A color monitor was on each wall, showing news items, adverts and other Federation-sponsored broadcasts. People of importance stood around and in line, wearing much finer clothing and carrying much better possessions than the children had ever seen before. The younger child hung onto her mother's coat, not quite sure what to make of it all. The older boy, perhaps five years old, looked on in surprise and delight.

Just then the monitors on the walls broadcast a bit of news. On screen flashed the photos of two wanted terrorists. The children looked up in awe at the huge colored screens, trying to take it all in. The boy pointed to the photos and asked his mother in a loud, clear voice “Who are those men, momma?” Dione glanced up at the screen and blanched. She knew who they were all right. And the last thing she wanted was to draw attention to themselves, especially by the Federation guards. She looked quickly back to the door but the guards had seemed not to hear the child's question. She hushed her child quickly and told him to stay silent. He obeyed, sensing the fear in his mother's voice.

They was the reason she was now raising her children alone. The first man- Blake. The other, his lieutenant. Both dangerous, both terrorists to the State. She shuffled closer to the counter, package in hand, wishing she had never even thought of entering the Alpha sector with her children.

She glanced back at the photos of the terrorists. It had been three years now since her husband had been taken away. They came in the dead of night, breaking down the door, ransacking their flat, frightening her babies. She had no idea Nova had been fraternizing with the rebels, the terrorists. That was the last time she saw him. She had been refused entry to his trial and was not allowed to see the civil administration ship take off for the penal colony. Oh, they had made certain of that!

And after Nova's departure? The Federation had found her a menial job in the Alpha sector cleaning offices at night. She was made to put her children in Federation-sponsored day care and school and she had been allowed to stay in their ramshackle Delta flat, vermin and all. She had been lucky. And all because of those men, those terrorists.

It was finally her turn in line. She paid her hard-earned Credits to the clerk, watched him count out the coinage and stamp the package and that was it. Happy Birthday, sister. She gathered her children to her side and exited the building, hoping they would not be followed back to their Delta sector home. Some things are better left forgotten, she sighed to herself as they got onto the shuttle tram. On the ride home she pondered as to what had happened to her husband Nova. Had he made it alive to Cygnus Alpha? Better not to wonder.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Joe Dredd
i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/Dash_Decent/Faces_640_zpskizy0e1a.gif

Anniew
Paula I really loved that story. It's so moving and real . I love the detailed society you create and the reactions of the children. Very clever idea as well.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
And Nova was such a nice guy as well...tissues please.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

winnie-l
Joe Dredd wrote:SNIP meldy gif!
Joe Dredd, you have a KNACK of doing those - possibly disturbingly excellent - gifs that melt from one to another!
VERY WELL DONE!
especially since it.... unnerves one a bit....

Pardon, think I'm getting the vapors!
(PS why does this forum spellcheck say the UK spelling of vapours is wrong...)

littlesue
winnie-l wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:SNIP meldy gif!
Joe Dredd, you have a KNACK of doing those - possibly disturbingly excellent - gifs that melt from one to another!
VERY WELL DONE!
especially since it.... unnerves one a bit....

Pardon, think I'm getting the vapors!
(PS why does this forum spellcheck say the UK spelling of vapours is wrong...)

It spell checks?
I just typed in vapours spelt the correct way and it didn't correct it. As it is I have to have a dictionary to hand to help out whenever I get a large black hole in my memory.

BTW Joe Dredd...I agree, that gif of yours does send shivers down one's spine.....
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

atomicmayo
Cool gif! I'm going to post it to my art blog.

And I'm sorry - this month has been WEIRD so I haven't had much time to be on the forum, but I will read and comment on fics soon, promise!
my tumblr | my twitter | my deviantart | my patreon

http://i-fought-space.tumblr.com
Anniew
It wasn't very sporting of him to smile, but then he'd never set much store by things like that. And he couldn't have stopped himself if he'd tried- the irony was too delicious. After all the struggle, all the trauma, the three shots which Blake still maintained had been unprovoked and which he was equally sure had been invited by the stupidity of Blake's actions; after all that, Avalon had decided that Blake's appearance was too battered and rough to make him electable, while he, Avon, reluctant rebel and self-confessed criminal bastard, apparently had the 'look of a winner' and was her chosen candidate for the Presidency.

In short order, their party had achieved a landslide victory: Blake was relegated to the ceremonial role of Father of the Commons, and Avon ended up spending quite a bit of his time making Presidential speeches in which terms such as 'win- win, 'groundbreaking', 'empowerment', 'feature-rich', 'bottom-up- development' successfully obfuscated what his Government actually intended to do about the various crises that beset it.

Blake attempted to revive The Freedom Party and turn it into an effective opposition to the more conservative Liberators (a name chosen by Avon which even his critics acknowledged to be apt as he had by now 'liberated' quite a lot of the National purse for his private use). Blake enjoyed some initial success. However, soon his Executive decided that his tendency to harp on about the need for honest politicians and the plight of the Delta Grades, together with his scarred visage was putting off the electorate. He was faced with a vote of no confidence and, eventually, forced to resign. Bran Foster's niece, a well-meaning if rather brainless young woman, rated "attractive" by all sexes, was appointed leader in Blake's place and, armed with her own bank of meaningless phases -probably taken, Blake thought bitterly, from "The Little Book of Politics"- soon gained a reputation for progressive thinking.

After the coup, Vila invited Blake to the Delta quadrant to share a consolatory beer. It was a thin, sour brew, made ten times more sour by the images of the sleekly groomed and probably botoxed President projected onto the walls from the newly installed giant vizpod - by law every bar, shop and entertainment centre on Earth now had to have one and they showed non- stop Avon, to the apparent delight of their bar maid and presumably others like her.

Observing this, Vila remarked with an understatement unusual for him, and which perhaps reflected how gobsmacked he was by recent events - you really couldn't make it up!

Anniew
A Cautionary Tale

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

In the beginning, when Orac, High President of the Universe, had just begun his researches into myside bias, He devised a dream to influence the future actions of His crew, and had His servant, Zen, project it into Blake's mind.

This was the dream.

Blake stood on a high platform, looking down at a mob of Delta grades. Avon, beside him, was dressed in his usual silver-studded black leather, while Blake affected the rough worsted of the Deltas and his face was disfigured by a long scar. The two men seemed to be in a contest and as Blake raised his arms for silence, a roar of excitement burst from the mob and they knelt before him, acclaiming him as the winner.

Everyone but Avon agreed that the dream was precognitive - proof that Blake was right to seek out and destroy Star One and that his reward would be the destruction of the Federation, the general acclaim of the people and the Presidency. Avon of course, dismissed both the interpretation and the crews' -All together Children- "sheep-like acceptance of the concept of precognition". Very good.

Now as you know, Children, Star One didn't go to plan. A series of misadventures separated Blake and Avon before, finally, The Lord Orac engineered their meeting on Gauda Prime. Blake survived his shooting by Avon and his army the attack by Sleer's troops because The Blessed Orac teleported them to safety and sent in reinforcements as Avon had most humbly requested Him to do if He heard gunshots. These events were caught on the viscasters that kept a visual record of what happened on the base and broadcast by Lord Orac throughout the Federated worlds, humbling the Empire's might and elevating Blake and his crew to the status of legends. Support for the rebellion increased, and aided by the fact that there was now an antidote to pacification, within five years the Federation was overthrown.

On the tenth anniversary of his banishment to Cygnus Alpha, Blake introduced democratic elections on Earth, expecting to be voted in as President. He represented The Freedom Party . What was its slogan, Children? "Power belongs with the honest man". Yes, good. And Avon stood for The Independence Party: "Enterprise or stagnation - your choice." Very well remembered.

Blake and Avon stood before the crowds for the announcement of the result. As in his dream, Blake wore in his Gauda Prime clothes (complete with bullet holes) to remind everyone of his sacrifices, while Avon in black and silver, was every inch the Alpha. Anticipating victory, Blake raised his arms for silence. As he did so he heard a strange chinking noise and then the crowd erupted into an excited roar. Soon they were all on their knees, but not as he'd thought, to acclaim him as President: they were scrabbling about in the dirt to pick up the coins that Avon was throwing down amongst them in handfuls. Avon had bribed his way to victory.

After the election Roj Blake sank into the depression from which he never recovered, while Avon's demeanour resembled a Cheshire Cat: all smiles. His triumph seemed very sweet to him. Had he realised that The Mighty Orac had been and still was, pulling the strings he might have been more wary.

But that, Children, is a story for another day.

Hugbot
@Paula: I love stories depicting the everyday life of the Federation! Wonderful background of what the Federation system means for the ordinary citizens. Also fascinating to see the background of the young shaver Nova, giving him more depth. I always wondered what he had done to be deported to CA.

@AnnieW: Two very strong and bitter political satires ... do I feel the influence of recent political events? I especially like the first one with the very realistic depiction of the attitudes and behaviours of politicians; however, the eerie quality of the second one with its Bible-like tone and Orac pulling the strings also makes a very good (= entertaining and disturbing) read.

Anniew
Hugbot wrote "do I feel the influence of recent political events?"

You may think so but I couldn't possibly comment!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
9,896,447 unique visits since 8th January 2014