Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
June Artwork FanFic Challenge - by Lurena
Travisina
i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/neoantares/artwork-illustrations/Horizon%20monthly%20challenges/081cef13-b731-45fc-b947-2ad44695acef.jpg
(Click on image for larger version)

We are lucky to have such talented artists among us! This scene was sent in by Lurena, as another ficlet challenge for June!
Looking forward to reading your stories here...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Lurena
Additional information as a few people asked me about the figure on the floor:

It is up to everyone to decide who the person on the floor is!
I drew it that way on purpose, just to stimulate your imagination.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Anniew
Travis was moving in their direction and Avon wasn't going to regain consciousness in time to get under cover. The Liberator, off station avoiding pursuit ships, would be anything up to an hour before it could return. They daren't discharge their guns for fear of puncturing one of the forest of pipes conducting lethal coolant gasses throughout the building. Even the optimistic Gan had to admit that it wasn't looking good for them.

All they could do was press themselves against the wall and hope.

Suddenly Gan nudged Cally. He'd spotted a ladder not far from where they were hiding. She nodded and mimed climbing it with stealth.

Five minutes later they were perched on a service gantry high above Travis' head. He had now halted beside a computer console, his attention fixed on the screen. He appeared to be communicating with someone and, from the glances he occasionally threw over his shoulder, he was intent on not being discovered. Taking advantage of his distraction, they traversed the gantry unseen and scrambled down the ladder on the other side. Gan reached out for Avon, pulling him by one, extravagantly buckled and booted leg, threw the inert man over his shoulder and within another five minutes, with Cally's help, had pulled him up onto to the gantry where they hunkered down, hiding themselves as much as was possible.

Abruptly Travis raised his head. Avon, beginning to come round, had uttered a shrill moan. Cally glanced anxiously towards him and was startled to see that his face was turning puce as Gan's hand pressed down over his nose and mouth. She calculated they had seconds before either Avon expired or Gan released him to breath but to continue to moan and Travis spotted them and alerted the guards.

In a flash she had pulled a tiny knife from her pocket and slit the straps on Avon's boot. Swiftly she tugged until she had it free and then, just as Travis looked up, she hurled it at him. It hit him on the temple, catapulting him back into the console. Seconds later her bracelet chimed and she, Avon and Gan were transported safely to the Liberator.

A failed mission but three things resulted from it:.

First, Avon just wouldn't shut up about the outrage to his footwear, provoking Cally into snapping that only an idiot would run slap into a pipe and knock himself out so he only had himself to blame. Since the others agreed with her, Avon spent the next two weeks stalking the Liberator like an affronted cat, hissing variants of,"Damn your revolution" when asked to do anything.

Second, Blake, disheartened by being used as Avon's scratching post and by yet another failure to disrupt Federation Communications, decided to bring forward his plan to return to Earth and attack Control.

Third, Travis' attempt to find out more about the Andromendons' proposed invasion was frustrated and by the time he was in a position to re-establish contact with them, protecting Earth was no longer his priority.

All proof, if proof were needed, that the most catastrophic events in our Universe can be triggered by incidents as trivial as the loss of a favourite boot.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Hugbot
What a relief after all the sad stories so far! Somehow, this is Orbit the other way round: Starting as a dramatic 'action' episode and then transmuting into something funny. And in the end, there is again a serious twist. A lovely rollercoaster ride!

Lurena
-Anniew, a very surprising story to go with this drawing! Thank you.
[url]All proof, if proof were needed, that the most catastrophic events in our Universe can be triggered by incidents as trivial as the loss of a favourite boot.[/url]
A great quote! (I can't rmember who wrote it, please help me out?)

Travisina
Anniew wrote:
All proof, if proof were needed, that the most catastrophic events in our Universe can be triggered by incidents as trivial as the loss of a favourite boot.

Excellent story, Annie. Have you read 'What Katy Did'? She has a 'day of scrapes' in which everything goes wrong, starting with being late for school because she hadn't sewn on her bonnet string. Afterwards, her father tells her the rhyme:

"For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of the rider the battle was lost,
For the want of the battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horse-shoe nail."

Your story reminded me of that!

Hugbot
The Wrath of an Auron

It had been a silly idea. After their escape from Aristo, they should have called it a day. Instead, they followed the ship of Travis and Servalan in the protection of Avon’s anti-detection gadget and teleported into the engineering section to collect vital intelligence from the ship’s computers. It had to go wrong.

Of course it did. Logging on at the main computer of a ship via one of the drive monitoring devices is not a standard procedure. Avon had to implement several highly questionable bypasses. The potential for disaster was too great even for him. A sudden discharge of energy threw him away from the console and rendered him unconscious. Worse than that, it alarmed Travis. Only seconds later, the Space Commander entered the engineering section and made his way through the aisle between the humming machinery. Cally and Gan hid behind a panel. In order to reach Avon, they would have to cross the opening of the aisle. Travis would spot them immediately.

Teleporting out of this mess was out of the question. The energy discharge had fried Avon’s bracelet. With Avon unconscious and Gan limited, Cally was the only one left to fight Travis. But she was a luckless, novice guerilla fighter, while he was a trained and experienced combat machine. He had lost his most powerful weapon in the shoot-out on Aristo, but he could still wield a gun. And he would not hesitate to kill. The humiliation and the pain still burning in his smashed hand made Travis more dangerous than ever.

That left only one option. Cally closed her eyes and concentrated. She went down the deep, deep spiral staircase into her past and into the vaults of her memories where all the horrors lurked that she had tried to lock away. Oh, and there were horrors a-plenty. She remembered her fear when she was outcast among the mute; the terror she felt when her group was attacked on Saurian Major; her anger at her fellow Auronar; her wrath over the atrocities committed by the Federation; her anguish of watching her comrades die. She took it all and threw it at Travis.

Then she heard him yell. With a loud thud, he fell down on his knees. He sat there in the aisle, raging, howling and frothing like a mad dog.

Cally and Gan hastened to Avon, fastened a spare bracelet around his wrist and called the Liberator. In the few seconds before they were whisked away, Cally had the strange sensation that she was no longer the same person as before. Her anger and fear had gone. She no longer sought companions for her death but felt a calmness and gentleness as never before. When she looked at the tormented man in the aisle, she nearly pitied him. Travis, too, would never be the same person again.

Lurena
Oh Hugbot, I do so like that use of Cally's telepathic skill!
And then the consequence of it, both Cally and Travis never the same anymore. Canon.

Travisina
Lurena wrote:
And then the consequence of it, both Cally and Travis never the same anymore. Canon.

Kudos from me, too - that's exactly what I thought when I read it!

Anniew
Travisina. Loved the Katy books. That must have been where the inspiration for the fic came from but I'd forgotten that's where I heard it!!!

Lurena - that's where the quote I adapted comes from.

Huggy what a clever explanation of why Cally increasingly became the nurse and Travis an out and out brute. Brilliant!

Hugbot
Thank you all, glad you liked my story.

Lurena wrote:

On second thought, I have to admit it is a bit 'Cally meets Lyta Alexander'.

Anniew
Borrow from the best Huggy - that's my motto - and it fits the series like a glove. I also like that it's done without the drama that accompanied Lyta's telepathic emissions.

Lurena
Hugbot wrote:

Thank you all, glad you liked my story.

Lurena wrote:

On second thought, I have to admit it is a bit 'Cally meets Lyta Alexander'.

Does it matter? As Annie said : it fits!

atomicmayo
(I'll try to write a thing! Un-beta'd of course *sweats*)

--

The air ate up all sound that touched it, hot and sluggish - Travis’s footsteps, the alternating humming and wooshing of the machinery. Everything that hit Cally's and Gan's ears was wrapped in something heavy and dull.

There was a curious lack of threats and shouting as Travis approached, making time even more stagnant than the air. The seconds ticked by in a dense, agonized crawl.

A single bead of sweat took up residence at Cally’s hairline and refused to move.

“I could try to grab him.” Gan murmured to her as they watched Avon stir on the floor silently.

No, Blake and the others should have finished the repairs by now - they will teleport us up any second.

Travis soon passed and missed them in the shadows, scanning his surroundings but still completely, utterly silent. His eye darted back and forth - his expression was surprisingly blank.

Cally aimed her blaster at Travis’s jaw. Gan’s fists clenched.

Travis turned and finally saw the man on the ground before him.

Cally squared her blaster directly at the back of Travis’s head, the bead of sweat finally giving in and running down the side of her face. Gan's fingernails pressed into his palms.

Travis kneeled down and stared.

“Can you stand?” Travis asked, his voice just barely audible to the two in the shadows.

Avon gave the slightest nod of his head and slowly got up, groggy but uninjured from what Cally and Gan could see.

“Who are you?” Avon asked, his voice suspicious but the question honest.

Travis considered it for a moment.

“…I don’t remember. What do you—“

He started as the man in front of him shimmered and disappeared from the room.
Edited by atomicmayo on 05 June 2016 23:24:27
my tumblr | my twitter | my deviantart | my patreon

http://i-fought-space.tumblr.com
Anniew
Ooh nicely ironic Atomic. Travis with amnesia! Prequel and sequel please. I love the premise but especially how you convey the tension of the encounter.

Travisina
Atomic - that's great! So you're not just an artist, but a writer too (#envious) - please write more!

atomicmayo wrote:
(I'll try to write a thing! Un-beta'd of course *sweats*)

If you ever want something beta'd, just let me know? Happy to help!

Lurena
Nice scene Atomicmayo! It's a treat. Thank you!
(Please, sequel, I'm curious about the plot!)

co-incidentally I wrote a "Ganny" to your artwork; I will post it in a minute.

littlesue
And now for Lurena's picture prompt....For some reason, I can't be serious...well, therewill be one soon...

There’s a First Time for Everything

Cally’s breath caught in her throat.
Even the reassuring presence of Gan could not curb her nervousness.
They had been caught unawares, again.
Travis had been waiting, again.
And now the man himself was striding down one of the aisles, eager to see what, or who, his shot had hit.
Cally peered around the metal upright. It was the only protection they could find after the firefight and she knew that it would not suffice in the long run.
He was lying on the floor, unmoving, hidden from Travis’ view behind a metal barrier.
Dead?
No. She could sense that.
Unconscious?
Maybe…
And still Travis came; his boots pounding out his arrival.
Cally quickly weighed up their chances.
There were three of them, but effectively only she was in any position to do anything. And whatever she had in mind would have to be quick.
Cally studied the ceiling of this strange room. It seemed to be an industrial unit of some kind. Heavy metal lamps hung from wires; their harsh light making the metal walls even more desolate. It was those lights that had been their undoing.
They had sought safety in the darkened room and Travis had seen them do so. He had followed and found the main switch. There was little they could do in the sudden illumination.
“Show yourselves,” Travis demanded.
Somewhere a door banged shut, its metallic thud sounding round the room.
“There is no escape. You will surrender or face the consequences…”
It was strangely silent. If Travis had been expecting back up, then he was in for disappointment.
He was alone.
But even one man such as he could be dangerous and Cally knew it.
Gan was scanning the immediate area.
On the floor was a large metal object; obviously once part of the now redundant machinery. All he had to do was reach it.
For Cally it all happened in slow motion.
“Hey!”
A familiar voice came from somewhere in the room.
Travis turned, his left hand raised.
Cally stepped out, ready to fire.
Gan picked up the object and threw it with all the strength he could muster, straight at Travis.
While the prone figure on the floor suddenly came alive and fired straight up into the lights, plunging the entire room into darkness.
Space Commander Travis staggered as he took the full force of the object hurled at him. Such was the shock, he was unable to fire at the intruder and then it went black.

“That was close,” Gan said, rubbing the muscles of his arm. That piece of metal had been heavier than he had anticipated.
In the Liberator’s teleport section, three of Blake’s crew were grateful for the sudden rescue.
“What happened?” Avon asked.
Blake nodded towards Vila, who held up one of his numerous tools, “It’s rather difficult to get re-enforcements when the door is LOCKED behind you.”
“You locked it after Travis followed us in?” Cally asked.
“Oh yes, “Vila smiled back, “There’s a first time for everything.”
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Hugbot
@Atomicmayo: A fascinating, mysterious little piece! Actually, I think a prequel/sequel is not necessary; for me, the story is complete. Yes, I was a bit puzzled at first at Travis' reaction, but I think that's the whole point: Something has happened before that had rendered Avon unconscious and given him a (temporary, as wie know) memory loss. No explanation required - such things can happen when you mess around with sci-fi machinery. And then, in the most threatening moment, it is revealed that Travis is also affected - thus giving our heroes a chance to escape. The build-up of tension, the surprising solution - no need for more. (OK, maybe I am completely on the wrong track ... my brain is nearing the melting point in this ongoing heat wave!)

@LittleSue: All the way through your story I thought, 'Well, this reads like a pretty standard adventure episode; knowing LittleSue, this can't be all. There must be a twist somewhere.' And then the twist came. Vila closing a door? Brilliant punchline! Thanks for the laughs!

Oh, and I have to confess that there are no beta readers for my fanfic challenge contributions. For me, this is a sandbox where I can try my skills. Not that I don't take it seriously. On the contrary, it is a personal challenge for me - presenting only what I can come up with on my very own. It's not perfect, but I try to make it as good as possible and I hope that I can gradually reduce the language quirks.

Anniew
Hugbot I agree Atomicmayo's story makes sense on its own but it would also work as part of a longer fic. I wonder if this is why Travis changed because he had to be reprogrammed with memories and it altered him? I enjoyed reading it so much that I wanted more!!!

Sue - story as ingenious as Vila! Loved it.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,140,540 unique visits since 8th January 2014