Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
June 2016 Fanfic Challenge
Hugbot
Outstanding! Deep, insightful and with some very ingenious views on a character we all seem to know so well. I very much like your take on the 'death' challenge, i.e. not talking about physical death (be it real or faked or the death of personality) but about the psychological death of a person.

Hugbot
Blue in the Face

It's been three days since my death. Yes, I am positively dead, although this nutter tried to deny it. Iíve passed on. I am no more. I have ceased to be. I have expired and gone to meet my maker. I am a stiff. Bereft of life, I rest in peace. Iím pushing up the daisies. Iíve run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.

That git of a pet shop assistant has finally taken me back. Only an hour later, this other guy entered the shop, a suave, well-groomed gentleman, and he purchased me despite my condition.

And now I am sitting here, showing off my lovely plumage, nailed to the perch in my cage, in one of the shelves inside a folly on another planet amidst a collection of other 20th century memorabilia.

An ex-parrot and an ex-president Ė thatís a perfect match, isnít it?

Lurena
Aww, the death subject is favourite among you writers. And what great stories you bring.
-Hugbot, you must have an amazing amount of insightful thoughts, ready for use. You have my admiration!
-Brad, oh yeah, that great Jenna survival! I love it! She deserves her own series, starting with your story!
-Anniew, thank you so very much for mentioning the Cally-Avon connection. Long ago I posted about it on the Old Forum and it evoked a considerable discussion!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Blue in the Face
An ex-parrot and an ex-president Ė thatís a perfect match, isnít it?

Hugbot, that is pure genius! Grin
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
Hugbot wrote:
Blue in the Face

Ah yes - Norwegian Blue!

Hugbot wrote:An ex-parrot and an ex-president Ė thatís a perfect match, isnít it?

Bravo!

Speaking of Sarkoff, I like this anecdote:

i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/Dash_Decent/Sarkoff_zpsuq2e5a5s.jpg

Lurena
Joe Dredd wrote:

Speaking of Sarkoff, I like this anecdote:

i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/Dash_Decent/Sarkoff_zpsuq2e5a5s.jpg

Brilliant.

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
peladon
Got in under the word count this timeGrin

It is three days since my death, three days of sightless numbness since the ceiling fell in on me and I lost my remaining hope. Three days since I first lay unable to see or speak or move yet able to hear, three days since Blakeís horrified protest and his reluctant footsteps as he turned away from what he considered to be a certainty, my death.

I know it is three days because hearing has never deserted me and I have heard the shifts of those trying to clear the tunnels change seven times, at two shifts a day that means we are well into the third day since Blakeís disastrous assault on Control. Now my sight is starting to return and I can make out the shape of some of the figures on my time monitor. Three days it is.

As I have lain here unable to move and feeling nothing, convinced that I was dead but still sentient, I found myself remembering the early days and the two guardians of a dead planet and wondering if that was to be my fate, to be destined to forever watch over Control and the silent systems that Blake gave so much to reach. For nothing it seems.

Blake. In these last three days I have not slept that I am aware of but I have thought a lot, and I have thought a lot about Blake, The others too and its strange how different it all looks from here. Ive spent a lot of time wondering at why it was not this clear before. I have sent a silent apology to Avon for not seeing the dangers he tried to warn us of, the danger that Blake would lose himself in his struggle for the wider good. That I am lying here, sacrificed to the lies he told to bring us, I think that loss may have already happened. For all of these three days I have hoped myself to be wrong on that, or that Avon will find some way to limit the damage. Itís funny that since my death I find it so much easier to believe in Avon than I ever did before it.

My death. But as sight is returning it seems that either I am learning better how to be dead or that I am not dead at all, Iím not sure which scares me most.

Will they come to clear this part of the complex and what will happen to me if they do? This corridor leads only to an exit so maybe they wonít bother and then my death will be certain. That seems to be the best to hope for; at least the numbness will mean there is no pain.

If they do find me, well Blake thought I was dead Iíll just have to make sure they think so too.

Four days after my death and I must have slept at last. I look at my wrist to confirm it and realise that I can move again.

Hugbot
@JD: Where does that Sarkoff snippet come from? Looks like the scenario for a game of some sorts. Thank your for posting it; I've never heard of that before, but it is funny and wise at the same time.

@Peladon: A very haunting tale! I very much loved the ambiguity and the dark and eerie undercurrents, in particular the notion of Gan guarding Control forever.

Anniew
Hugbot you really are so imaginative! Loved blue ( dead) parrot. So glad you liked my story.

Pelladon. How interesting that you've written a kind of winning Gan story. Well potentially winning. I suppose it depends where he goes next. Certainly not to fight for Blake by the sound of it!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Hugbot
Travisina wrote:

I need to get a move on and choose a 'dead' person to write about - heaven knows, there are enough of them in B7 - but at this rate there won't be anyone left!

Remember the last northern rewatch? When we were talking about possible fanfic about the (dead) guy mentioned in the episode?

Anniew
It's been three days since my death, as far as I can tell from the three gouges I've scratched into my arm to keep track. But it's impossible to tell. I had to carve them with my finger nails, so it could have taken longer than a day for each. If it wasn't for the holes in my skin I'd have doubted that I scratched them. There was no pain. I'm not even bleeding. Everything's grey here, grey mist, grey skin. Not even hot or cold. I could have been here forever, floating in this greyness. I can't touch anything, can't even burst my brain. No pressure here, just the grey mist.

Where the hell is everyone, anyway? Don't they know who I am? I'm not accustomed to being ignored you know. Come on, come, on, chop chop. Service...

Nothing.

Is this how you treat the most wanted man in the Afterlife? Where's the lake of boiling oil? Demons with pitchforks? Something I can rage against. Give me that at least. Something worthy of my crimes. I was a butcher you know! Carved up people for the fun of it. Come on...come here.. You...come here.

If I ever get my hands on you....you'll know it. I'll tear you apart, blow off your heads I'll...I'll.. You'd better watch out. You'll never be free of the fear once I start on you. You should have seen how scared that little runt was of me...that....the thief.. What was his name? It's gone...bled into all this greyness... .Damn him...Damn them... When I get free of here I'll show him. Show them. Show them all.

Nothing. Still nothing...

I demand to see the guy in charge. I demand it. Get him now. Bring him to me. I'm not just a common or garden criminal you know...I was....I am...I'm the terror of the world. Just get....if I can just get....

You're there aren't you? Just there. Just out of reach... If I can just...

Nothing. Nothing but greyness. Nothing. Nothing...Nothing...

Was I shouting then? It seemed to me I was shouting but the sound...it gets swallowed up in all this grey....No pain...No sound... Nothing to touch. No hot..No cold...

It's been four days since my death as far as I can tell from the four gouges I've scratched in my arm to keep track...

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I need to get a move on and choose a 'dead' person to write about - heaven knows, there are enough of them in B7 - but at this rate there won't be anyone left!

Remember the last northern rewatch? When we were talking about possible fanfic about the (dead) guy mentioned in the episode?

I'm mulling him - there is certainly potential there, both for his back story and his fate.
But for now, I went for someone more obvious (and am relieved nobody beat me to it! )

Travisina
Resurrection

It has been three days since my death.

I lie on the bier, dressed in my finest robes. I am surrounded by the objects that were most precious to me while I was alive, and that will now travel with me to the stars.

The priestesses arrive. One brings the Egg, and places it with great reverence in its allocated position. This artefact not only bears the shape of the ancient symbol of life, but is also the means by which my own essence will be preserved.

The High Priestess enters. She is wearing the Gold Ring; she raises her hand and the ceremony begins. The ritual is as old as time; every step, every movement, every gesture of hand and tilt of head is performed precisely, as they have been throughout the ages. The Ring provides the energy and my life force flows into the Egg, where it will be safely contained until such time as a new body is found.

The High Priestess is a powerful Seer; she conjures visions: Here is a woman, dressed in Green Ė it is through her that I shall live again. Here are the servants to accompany her Ė me Ė in my new existance. One by one they appear; Blue Minstrel, Red Warrior and Yellow Fool. Is one missing? No, here he is: dressed in Black - my Consort, my Lover. He brings with him a brief frisson of danger, which is swiftly dispelled by the High Priestess. The man in Black may resist his appointed role, but I am older and more powerful. I will prevail.

Finally, the Gold Ring is placed on my finger; the ceremony is complete. The priestesses depart and my tomb embarks upon its journey.

It has been three centuries since my death.

I lie on the bier, in what is left of my fine robes. The Ring hangs loose on my skeletal finger. My once-precious heirlooms have crumbled; only the Egg remains intact under a soft layer of dust.

The journey is almost over. After three centuries of silent darkness, my craft has enountered a ship teeming with life forms. Here they are at last: the Fool, the Warrior, the Minstrel and the Lover. Ah, here is the lonely mind Ė it reaches out and touches mine. Yes, yes! She takes the Ring, she activates the Egg.

Cally, you are mine! With this Gold Ring, we are wed. You are no longer alone, and I live once more.

Anniew
Travisina we left Vila to you!!! Smile

And Hugbot. I meant to say what a great story your take on the prompt Gold was! Chilling.

Travisina
Anniew wrote:

Travisina we left Vila to you!!! Smile

I killed Vila in last month's art prompt, can't keep doing that - it upsets my psyche!
Your Bayban story is superb - and very apt, as we're rewatching 'City' on Tuesday - and it's Colin Baker's birthday on Wednesday!

Anniew
Oh Travisina! Not Vila but the sarcophagus lady. I'd say lovely story but it's too powerful and creepy. I like the idea of the ring symbolising a marriage between it and Cally. Do you think it's a sort of queen wasp, seeking out a new colony while leaving a queen in place on its home world or does that die when it dies ?

Travisina
Anniew wrote:
Do you think it's a sort of queen wasp, seeking out a new colony while leaving a queen in place on its home world or does that die when it dies ?

That's just given me the shivers - I hate wasps, allergic to their stings!

Intriguing idea, though - may be worth exploring in a longer fic...

Travisina
By the way, I'm loving all the stories so far - not even a week into June and we're already on to page 2 of this thread!

Mistletoe12
Well, I'm only just starting to put pen to paper on a story for this monthís challenge - but in the meantime, absolutely loving all the stories posted to the thread.

TT: The Survivor) Good read; liked the diary entry style.

Hugbot: (Penance) A perfect way to deal with Travis' ignorance and crimes. (Introspection) Summarising Kieraís Ö any mutoidís plight in a short ficlet is a real gift. (Awakening) A hopeful Og story - nice. (The Wisdom of Montezuma) Genius! (Blue in the face) LOL! And I'll take your fic over the actual sketch anyday.

JustBrad: What a neat Jenna story. You really do write her well.

Annie: story 1, You do angst SO well! // story 2, Bayban receiving his just deserts - boredom and confusion rather than attention. I like it! Grin

Peledon: Gan, ghosts, introspection, ambiguity ... now you're talking my language. Excellent Gan story!

Travisina: (Resurrection) Engaging ficlet! Judicious use of language to tell the story. WinkI particularly liked the last line, simply because my mind immediately thought: 'not for long.'

Hugbot
@Anniew: An interesting concept of hell - torture by ignoring the sinner! What a wonderful idea! That would have also worked with Servalan; for a moment, I even thought it was her because of the 'I demand to see the guy in charge' line.

@Travina: As I said before, you have the knack of retelling a well-known scene and shedding new light on it. The black figure not only foreshadowing danger, but also meant to be a lover ... and in particular the interpretation of the gold ring as a wedding ring. A wonderfully disturbing piece.

And thank you all for your nice comments on my stories. It felt good to be creative again after the last weeks.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,826,949 unique visits since 8th January 2014