Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Interesting trend in B7
President Solvite
It was implied somewhere but does it matter?

Anyway, back to the case in point. Know ? No, but I, and possibly others think the likelihood is a yes, probably or possibly Smile

I'm just airing my thoughts / views no one here has to agree or comment on them. A poorer citizen probably wouldn't be able to afford the transport, Ref Jenna in Spacefall re expense of space travel. He/she would probably require some sort of sponsorship or backing from a regional administration or corporate sponsor. Most of the actual travellers we see are mainly wealthy, government or military. From my initial viewing and subsequent viewings my impression from dialogue and exchanges are what I stated.

Like Avon, I am just evaluating at the odds Pfft

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
sooper mouse
President Solvite wrote:

It was implied somewhere but does it matter?

Anyway, back to the case in point. Know ? No, but I, and possibly others think the likelihood is a yes, probably or possibly Smile

I'm just airing my thoughts / views no one here has to agree or comment on them. A poorer citizen probably wouldn't be able to afford the transport, Ref Jenna in Spacefall re expense of space travel. He/she would probably require some sort of sponsorship or backing from a regional administration or corporate sponsor. Most of the actual travellers we see are mainly wealthy, government or military. From my initial viewing and subsequent viewings my impression from dialogue and exchanges are what I stated.

Like Avon, I am just evaluating at the odds Pfft

well there's planethoppeers, cargo ships etc..
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

President Solvite
Implies corporate backing to me. Not owned or run by average citizens.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:
There's far more to suggest Avon was Earth-based, even if we're never shown his birth certificate ;)

There you go, bringing Donald Trump into it...!

sooper mouse
President Solvite wrote:

Implies corporate backing to me. Not owned or run by average citizens.

or, ya know, a government
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

BradPaula
Joe Dredd wrote:

trevor travis wrote:
There's far more to suggest Avon was Earth-based, even if we're never shown his birth certificate Wink

There you go, bringing Donald Trump into it...!

GrinGrinGrinAngry

Anniew
Most of the actual travellers we see are mainly wealthy, government or military.

Brad Foster says he recently visited Ziegler 5. Blake visited Exbar. Difficult to tell if they are wealthy. Maybe political - in Blake's case pre mind wipe. Scientists or inventors seem to travel too ( Cosner, Kane,) And company representatives like Gerran. In a society where bribery is rife I'd guess travel + documentation would be easy to obtain if you had money regardless of status. If relatives move to a colony planet then it seems Earth citizens can visit them if they can afford it. Vila's escape from a penal colony aged 14 suggests travel permits were not too difficult to obtain or forge.

Re origins - Avon's clothes choices on Liberator suggest off world tastes as do Gan's - though this may be a rebellion against the hideous clothes available on Earth. I've always imagined that he's the son of a wealthy diplomat and spent time off world, whatever his birth place. He's also got well travelled friends ( Tynus, Keiller,) though their travel was work related.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Most of the actual travellers we see are mainly wealthy, government or military.

Brad Foster says he recently visited Ziegler 5. Blake visited Exbar. Difficult to tell if they are wealthy. Maybe political - in Blake's case pre mind wipe. Scientists or inventors seem to travel too ( Cosner, Kane,) And company representatives like Gerran. In a society where bribery is rife I'd guess travel + documentation would be easy to obtain if you had money regardless of status. If relatives move to a colony planet then it seems Earth citizens can visit them if they can afford it. Vila's escape from a penal colony aged 14 suggests travel permits were not too difficult to obtain or forge.

Re origins - Avon's clothes choices on Liberator suggest off world tastes as do Gan's - though this may be a rebellion against the hideous clothes available on Earth. I've always imagined that he's the son of a wealthy diplomat and spent time off world, whatever his birth place. He's also got well travelled friends ( Tynus, Keiller,) though their travel was work related.

Trade union representatives (e.g. Foster and Blake) are always wealthy Grin Grin Blake is a kind of future Arthur Scargill Wink

It's debatable whether Avon and his family had wealth. If they did, how come he was trying to steal a measly five million credits?
Edited by trevor travis on 21 November 2016 09:05:50

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Trade union representatives (e.g. Foster and Blake) are always wealthy Grin Grin Blake is a kind of future Arthur Scargill Wink

It's debatable whether Avon and his family had wealth. If they did, how come he was trying to steal a measly five million credits?

which later on is stated as 500 million.

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:

It's 5 million. Avon would have corrected Vila... he doesn't!!

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

later on he says 500 million when he tells Shrinker in RoD, so a bit of a retcon?

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

later on he says 500 million when he tells Shrinker in RoD, so a bit of a retcon?

I don't think a figure is revealed in Rumours - it's just called a "bank fraud" or something like that.

It's the Ultra who state 500 million. Ultraworld is a bit failable - the place gets blown up by a few limericks and they don't even know about the human bonding ceremony Wink

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

I don't think a figure is revealed in Rumours - it's just called a "bank fraud" or something like that.

It's the Ultra who state 500 million. Ultraworld is a bit failable - the place gets blown up by a few limericks and they don't even know about the human bonding ceremony Wink

did you write that particular slash?
will have to regex home,i'm in teh office today

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

Souper Moose, when you've been a fan a bit longer, you'll remember what's said in each episode... as I do.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

i'v been a fan for 30+ years. I am very certain the number 500 million is repeated several times.
The number 5 milion is only in TWB.

Souper Moose, when you've been a fan a bit longer, you'll remember what's said in each episode... as I do.

i've been a fan for over 30 years but thanks.
Edited by sooper mouse on 21 November 2016 11:32:39

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:
i'v been a fan for 30+ years. I am very certain the number 500 million is repeated several times.

It's Space Fall, not The Way Back.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

yup. Avon is not in TWB

Anniew
TT wrote:It's debatable whether Avon and his family had wealth. If they did, how come he was trying to steal a measly five million credits?

As the black sheep of his family, Avon was of course disinherited by his wealthy diplomat father. And 5 million was enough, according to Avon to make him and Anna ' so rich that no one could touch them'. - so it's hardly a paltry sum. While this is anniecannon not cannon cannon - it's a reasonable assumption. Anna marries a diplomat or similar (or is already married to one) post Avon. Chesku is clearly not clever enough to be part of the ruling council hence why I think he's a diplomat. But my point is that unless she hangs out in dubious bars for kicks, ( which gives Avon another plausible but quite different background as a beta ) she is of high status to have married Chesku and she and Avon must have got together at some function that Avon could only have got access to if his family was well connected. They meet...start an affair..then after an almighty row with his Dad, Avon is disinherited ( perhaps because of his fraud with Tynus which he undertook because his allowance or wages were not enough to maintain a nice pad to entertain Anna. ) There are other ways to make this scenario work - Avon meets Anna in diplomatic circles when they are young...gets disinherited after his fraud with Tynus....is targeted by Anna/Bartholomew who bumps into him by 'chance ' as Avon is suspected of illegal political activities ( perhaps because of his parents' position) and plans another fraud so they can live happily ever after.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

TT wrote:It's debatable whether Avon and his family had wealth. If they did, how come he was trying to steal a measly five million credits?

As the black sheep of his family, Avon was of course disinherited by his wealthy diplomat father. And 5 million was enough, according to Avon to make him and Anna ' so rich that no one could touch them'. - so it's hardly a paltry sum. While this is anniecannon not cannon cannon - it's a reasonable assumption. Anna marries a diplomat or similar (or is already married to one) post Avon. Chesku is clearly not clever enough to be part of the ruling council hence why I think he's a diplomat. But my point is that unless she hangs out in dubious bars for kicks, ( which gives Avon another plausible but quite different background as a beta ) she is of high status to have married Chesku and she and Avon must have got together at some function that Avon could only have got access to if his family was well connected. They meet...start an affair..then after an almighty row with his Dad, Avon is disinherited ( perhaps because of his fraud with Tynus which he undertook because his allowance or wages were not enough to maintain a nice pad to entertain Anna. ) There are other ways to make this scenario work - Avon meets Anna in diplomatic circles when they are young...gets disinherited after his fraud with Tynus....is targeted by Anna/Bartholomew who bumps into him by 'chance ' as Avon is suspected of illegal political activities ( perhaps because of his parents' position) and plans another fraud so they can live happily ever after.

Wasn't there only one fraud?after which he got arrested when he shot the guy he was meant to get the visas from?
Rumours

"SHRINKER [V.O.] Bartolomew was running you.
AVON Where to? Where did you run to, Anna? Not to your brother. He thinks you're dead. Who hid you, Anna?
ANNA My husband. I didn't love him, he knew that. There was only you. But he wanted me and I was afraid."

Also i is interesting how why would Avon do something as risky as dating a married woman. Seems rather un- Avonlike.
I am not buying the whole "she was his adopted sister" thing from Paul's book.

but I like the "son of a diplomat " idea, interesting
Edited by sooper mouse on 21 November 2016 12:52:25

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

yup. Avon is not in TWB

Have you found those other episodes where 500 million is quoted yet? I thought it was just Ultraworld, but if these are others, I'd be interested to know which ones they are.

At the moment, I'd take Vila's word (a smarter cookie than he lets on) over the Ultra (who aren't exactly reliable. I bet they get off their 'facts' from Space Wikipedia).

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
9,124,218 unique visits since 8th January 2014