Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Interesting trend in B7
Bounty
Whenever an episode takes place on a main character's home planet, it always turns out disastrously.

Gan dies in "Pressure Point", Dayna's father and sister are killed in "Aftermath", Cally's people are killed in "Children of Auron", Avon discovers the truth about Anna in "Rumours of Death", and we all know what happens when Soolin returns to GP.

Do you think this trend was intentional? Was the way back always much harder than Blake had anticipated?

JustBrad
Interesting observation. Of course, Earth was the home planet of all but Cally and Soolin. I don't know if it was intentional, but indeed, The Way Back was far harder in Blake's 7 than in any similar series that had come before.

peladon
Is that the way back of the title? I've always thought of it as referring to Blake's way back to himself from what he had been turned into by the Federation. So back to finding his past and who he was.

Lurena
I think Blake didn't anticipate much, he had little to none choice, that would make The Way Back pretty hard.

In my observation "the way Back" has more than one aspect in it.
There is Blake, trying to get his own identity back, but there is also the track back to Rebellion. By eliminating the Bran Foster group the freedom fighters have to start anew, Back to the start so to say.
Almost impossible.

I'm not sure if the trend was intentional. But script-wise it is practical.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
sooper mouse
Bounty wrote:

Whenever an episode takes place on a main character's home planet, it always turns out disastrously.

Gan dies in "Pressure Point", Dayna's father and sister are killed in "Aftermath", Cally's people are killed in "Children of Auron", Avon discovers the truth about Anna in "Rumours of Death", and we all know what happens when Soolin returns to GP.

Do you think this trend was intentional? Was the way back always much harder than Blake had anticipated?

but Avon is not from Earth, so that doesn't fit.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:but Avon is not from Earth, so that doesn't fit.

If Avon isn't from Earth, what's he doing on-board the London, which deports prisoners from Earth to Cygnus Alpha?

Where's the evidence that Avon is from anywhere but Earth?

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:but Avon is not from Earth, so that doesn't fit.

If Avon isn't from Earth, what's he doing on-board the London, which deports prisoners from Earth to Cygnus Alpha?

Where's the evidence that Avon is from anywhere but Earth?

because we know he's from the colonies. That is how he is presented in the lore.
(suddenly this makes perfect sense)
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

BradPaula
I have always been led to belie Avon, as Blake, Jenna, Vila,Dayna and Tarrant were all from Earth. I would ask if you could provide an answer as to where the idea of Avon being from 'the colonies' came from as I am intrigued and have not heard the phrase 'the colonies' in the official information: series, BBC books, etc. Grin

JustBrad
sooper mouse wrote:

because we know he's from the colonies. That is how he is presented in the lore.
(suddenly this makes perfect sense)

Of what lore do you speak? There is nothing in the series to indicate this, or have I missed something on 50 plus viewings?

sooper mouse
BradPaula wrote:

I have always been led to belie Avon, as Blake, Jenna, Vila,Dayna and Tarrant were all from Earth. I would ask if you could provide an answer as to where the idea of Avon being from 'the colonies' came from as I am intrigued and have not heard the phrase 'the colonies' in the official information: series, BBC books, etc. Grin

it comes from one of the audio books and from Paul's book.
While Paul's book is not canon, the BF books, being officially licensed, should count as such.

BradPaula
sooper mouse wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

While Paul's book is not canon, the BF books, being officially licensed, should count as such.

Thank you. I was wondering exactly where that phrase originated. Yes, Paul's books. No coment.

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

Don't forget Gan. He, along with Blake, Jenna, Vila and Avon are all deported from Earth to Cygnus Alpha.

Avon is from Earth. It's canon.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Don't forget Gan. He, along with Blake, Jenna, Vila and Avon are all deported from Earth to Cygnus Alpha.

Nope. There is nowhere said that Avon is FROM Earth. People did travel from planet to planet. Him living on earth at the time of the swindle doesn't mean he was from Earth

sooper mouse
BradPaula wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

and this

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/a-rebellion-reborn-926

Thank you. I was wondering exactly where that phrase originated. Yes, Paul's books. No coment.

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Nope. There is nowhere said that Avon is FROM Earth. People did travel from planet to planet. Him living on earth at the time of the swindle doesn't mean he was from Earth

There are references in Children Of Auron of Avon, Vila and Tarrant being from Earth.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

There are references in Children Of Auron of Avon, Vila and Tarrant being from Earth.

actually, no.
Not in one place does it say Avon was from earth. It says he wants to return to earth to execute Shrinker and that he was exiled from earth ( for his crime.
At no point anywhere in CoA are we being told where he was born.

http://www.hermit.org/b7/Episodes/scripts/C-of-Auron.html

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

actually, no.
Not in one place does it say Avon was from earth. It says he wants to return to earth to execute Shrinker and that he was exiled from earth ( for his crime.

Vila says he, Tarrant and Avon are going 'home' to Earth.

Plus there's the fact Avon was deported from Earth to Cygnus Alpha. And that he's part of the Earth caste system, designated an alpha grade.

I certainly take this all above a non-canon book.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

actually, no.

Plus there's the fact Avon was deported from Earth to Cygnus Alpha. And that he's part of the Earth caste system, designated an alpha grade.

Again, you are using your assumptions as fact.
Vila didn't even know where Avon was from.
He committed his crime on earth, got caught on earth and got exiled from earth, again nothing of this says he was also born on Earth.
And I dare you to show me one place in the scripts where it says Avon was born on earth.

Or that he was a designated Alpha on earth. Nothing on that in the original series.

also, that would be Paul's book and one BF audio book which are at least partially canon since they are licensed.

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

actually, no.

Again, you are using your assumptions as fact.
Vila didn't even know where Avon was from.
He committed his crime on earth, got caught on earth and got exiled from earth, again nothing of this says he was also born on Earth.
And I dare you to show me one place in the scripts where it says Avon was born on earth.

Or that he was a designated Alpha on earth. Nothing on that in the original series.

also, that would be Paul's book and one BF audio book which are at least partially canon since they are licensed.

They are not canon at all. Paul's books are full of inconsistencies, with weird segments of planets and 'space winds'. He writes good page-turners, but it's not really B7.

Within the 52 episodes, there is absolutely no evidence that Avon comes from anywhere apart from Earth. You're just making things up to fit your own pet theories and trying to pass it off as fact.

BradPaula
Sooper Mouse posts: "And I dare you to show me one place in the scripts where it says Avon was born on Earth."

I could twist that around on you and say, prove to me that he wasn't born on Earth on the scripts. If you accept Paul Darrow's Genesis series of books from Big Finish as canon, then fine. I accept the series only as canon, whether Big Finish holds the license for the franchise or not. It cuts both ways, only we're on different sides of the debate. But then, that is what makes debating this so much fun. As long as we are civil to our fellow fan club members while debating these topics, fine.

By the way- to be fair, I did not in fact like the Paul Darrow books, the main point being to me it was not proper Blake's 7 in content and it seemed to be more of a 'no name cowboy' type of story with an aging and very different Federation and indeed Avon himself. But as I have said, we are all entitled to our opinions about Blake's 7 and I understand many did like the books, so fine again. But to me, not Blake's 7 at all.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.45 seconds
9,106,078 unique visits since 8th January 2014