Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
If Gan lived...
atomicmayo
I saw there was a separate thread for general discussion of Gan (if this isn't supposed to be it's own thread sorry - feel free to merge it!) but I always wondered: what do you think would've happened to Gan had he survived?

I got the impression Gan was going to become sort of the ship's medic had he lived past Pressure Point - it makes sense to me that he would be in a support role given the problems his limiter poses. Do you think he'd still be of any use to the crew into the later episodes? We see big changes in the characters that survive longer than Gan does - do you think he would change at all?

I've actually heard of fic where Gan *pretends* to be Blake for certain missions because their physical descriptions would be similar (white guy, curlyish hair, not small) - something I could see really coming in handy during S3 and S4 if Gan decided to stick around 0_0
my tumblr | my twitter | my deviantart | my patreon

http://i-fought-space.tumblr.com
Anniew
Ah poor Gan! Not sure if they could have made anymore of the character unless they paired him with Vila after Star One and they had some adventures before returning to the Liberator. That would give him something to do and the tension about his limiter would make for some good episodes. If Gan was on the Liberator and Scorpio I think he and Soolin would be good together. She and Dayna would love Gan. I think on Gauda Prime he might sacrifice himself to save Blake so that he died/ was badly injured. He would have given Avon what for after Orbit. That would have been great to see - Gan as he was in Space Fall!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

meegat39
What a great topic! Well I have to say I agree with everything said so far. I don't have anything to add at this particular time, but I'll come back if anything occurs to me...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
If Gan had lived, he wouldn't been picked up by Avon following the war. A bit like Blake and Jenna.

"I tried my best to find them, honestly I did". Yes, of course you did, Avon. Wink

Anniew
If Gan had lived, he wouldn't been picked up by Avon following the war. A bit like Blake and Jenna.

Ah but he's with Vila and Avon finds Vila useful so he'd have had to pick up Gan too. He'd have moved a lot of space to pick up Jenna if he hadn't been presented with Tarrant as an alternative pilot. No Tarrant and Blake and Jenna together and Avon would ( reluctantly) have had to pick up Blake too.

Anniew
Anyway Avon would have to have done what Chris Boucher told him to! Avon give Tarrant and Dayna access to Zen! Are you mad? Do it or no pay cheque. Oh xxxffgggh. ok!

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Ah but he's with Vila and Avon finds Vila useful so he'd have had to pick up Gan too. He'd have moved a lot of space to pick up Jenna if he hadn't been presented with Tarrant as an alternative pilot. No Tarrant and Blake and Jenna together and Avon would ( reluctantly) have had to pick up Blake too.

Gan would also be pushing for Avon to pick up Blake, so Avon wouldn't have picked him up either.

Avon wants the Liberator to himself. I suspect that Avon's plans in "Terminal" are acquiring whatever wealth that Blake says he has, and then leaving him again. Maybe killing him as well. Get rid of Blake once and for all. It's what he does in the final episode after all.

Avon does not want Blake back. That's very clear. In "Blake", he's the last resort after Zukan.

Anniew
Avon wants the Liberator to himself. I suspect that Avon's plans in "Terminal" are acquiring whatever wealth that Blake says he has, and then leaving him again. Maybe killing him as well. Get rid of Blake once and for all. It's what he does in the final episode after all.

Since there are already millions lying around in tge Liberator treasure room, I don't find the wealth argument persuasive . And he doesn't go to Gauda Prime to kill Blake but to use him. just like he uses Tarrant to pilot the ship and Vila to open locked doors. That's why he picks up Vila and would Gan if he had to in order to get Vila. He plays the percentages. If he does go to Terminal to rob and kill Blake, he's taking one hell of a gamble! Why is he suddenly so desperate for money and to kill him? ( 36 hrs without sleep - desperate)

And Avon would easily have fobbed off Gan - just send him down on a dangerous mission if he whinged too much about Blake and then mourn his demise. A bit. Or just ask " who?"

mrsbookmark
This is a great topic!

I wondered what version of Gan would have stuck around? Because Gan in Space Fall is different than later. In Space Fall you definitely get the sense that he is a criminal and he comes across as more intelligent and less easily led.

Still, I think if Gan stayed it would have turned into more of a Blake vs. Avon situation. Because even though he crew tolerates and makes a game of picking on Vila, I think Avon's treatment of Gan would start to really alienate everyone and maybe Avon would go through with one of his plans for selling them out?

AvonGreen
I always thought that it was a shame that Gan was killed off in the series so early on. He was a great character, and one the crew really needed as 'the muscle' in tricky situations. It also amazed me that his brain limiter, was beyond the ability of sucb advanced science. You would think that it would be relatively easy to remove altogether, given that broken bones could be healed in minutes!

sweevo
I think Gan would have begun to turn against Blake and even started to call out Avon for his treatment of Vila, while the Blake/Avon relationship would eventually culminate in a fistfight.

AvonGreen
Personally, i do not agree with that. Gan and Blake were almost like brothers. Loyal to each other to the end!

atomicmayo
AvonGreen wrote:

Personally, i do not agree with that. Gan and Blake were almost like brothers. Loyal to each other to the end!

Really? How do you figure that? I thought Gan was *loyal* to Blake and identified with Blake's cause, but I didn't see them as BFFs at all.

AvonGreen
I honestly think that as a bold and strong man with good ethics, Gan could have gone on to eventually lead the crew, as a replacement for Blake (and not Avon).
But his life may have been short due to his limiter.

briggsy1
I love these hypothetical, What Might Have been type threads. Never mind Gan, what if Nova hadn't suffered death by shaving foam or Vila's mate Arco had escaped from Cygnus Alpha?

InkyFingers
I always found Gan the dullest of the bunch and think if anyone had to die it had to be him, can't see that his survival would of had any impact

President Solvite
There I must disagree

Gan was a very interesting character... We firstly have the question what kind of man was he really?

Was he an honest but unlucky citizen chosen to have some experimental surgery after getting on the wrong side of Federation Troopers?..

OR

Was he really a murderer with a sadistic dark side supressed by the limiter?

Either way its interesting concept and could have been fleshed out in many episodes in my opinion.

Personally speaking I go with the former, as I think the Federation were really that vindictive. Gan certainly had a presence and could lead a group of people. He wasn't an academic to be sure but he was able to learn and was capable as any average person.. His certainly wasn't stupid or dull. His death when it came was a great shock to me, I remember it well..

To answer the original OP's question I think Gan would have gone with Blake, and possibly even would have been there on Gauda Prime helping Blake to build a new rebel force and obtain an independent planet from which the fight against the Federation would continue.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
JustBrad
President Solvite wrote:

Was he an honest but unlucky citizen chosen to have some experimental surgery after getting on the wrong side of Federation Troopers?..

OR

Was he really a murderer with a sadistic dark side supressed by the limiter?

Or something else, but akin to both. I never bought the 'Gentle Giant' aspect of Gan. Perhaops he didn't like to kill, but he seemed to enjoy fighting, and even said so in one episode (Deliverance?)

I think of Othello; war hero, charismatic leader. Though he was a commoner, so well thought of that he was allowed to marry into nobility. By all outward appearances, a gentle giant of a man, and yet as Iago knew, if pushed too far, Othello would snap, like a Jack in the box one half turn from popping, as Desdemona found out to her peril.

Perhaps Gan was the same way, and the limiter was there only prevent the most extreme outbursts. The limiter allowed Gan to fight, just not to kill.

And yet there are some things about Gan that do not add up. If he were that dangerous, if he killed a Federation security guard, given what we know of the Federation, how did he even live to stand trial? Was he some big name amongst the lower grades, a Gamma Class Blake that couldn't simply be 'shot resisting arrest?' Was the limiter a way of discrediting him? Perhaps, as otherwise a limiter AND exile seems a bit much. If the limiter works, why not release him as rehabilitated? If exile was the goal, why add the limiter?

Unless, when he snapped, he was very dangerous indeed. As we see in Breakdown.

Angry Angel
I think he was probably quite important amongst the Delta grades, the equivalent of a trade union leader, someone who tried to stand up for the workers. He caused enough trouble to the Administration that they went after him, but he only became very aggressive after they killed his wife (I imagine he was good at fighting because of his size, but not overly agressive). The limiter was experimental technology they wanted to try out, it might have allowed them to look 'merciful' if he was a popular guy, but they still wanted to get rid of him, and his influence, in the end, hence sending him to Cygnus Alpha.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
atomicmayo
Angry Angel - I'm sorry I never saw this - what a great headcanon!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
9,870,113 unique visits since 8th January 2014