Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
May 2016 Fanfic Challenge
Travisina
In the Cell

ďSo, here we are. Not very nice, is it? Oh well, we wonít be here long. Do you want that bed? Itís a big one, and you are a big chap. Iíll take the one by the wall Ė I like to stay out of view, you see. Hmm, it's a bit hard Ė and is that a flea? You know what, I won't lie down. Don't want that flea and its pals to get in my hair, or go down my neck. Ugh. No, I'll just sit here, lean on the wall and keep all my togs on.

That's it, then. Now we just have to wait for the ship to come and take us to Cyg. Itíll be a long trip, and I bet it won't be much fun, not with this lot. Itís very dull in here. I wish we had some wine, itíd help pass the time. Iíve not had any wine for ages. Iím Vila, by the way. And you areÖ?

Nice to meet you. As you see, Iím not very big, so itíd be good to have a big man like you by my side. I hope you don't mind? It'll help me feel safe. Oh, yeah? You need to have folk with you to feel safe, too? Hey, we can be a team, you and me. Hereís my hand -

Oops, did you see me do that? Well done, not many Ė ow! Donít hurt me! Here, here, take it back Ė I donít want it. Itís just the way I am, you see, this is what I do - I canít help it. In fact, itís how they got me, and why Iím here. How Ďbout you?

Oh. OhÖ I donít know what to say. Damn Feds! Your poor wife. And poor you. Are you okay? No, itís fine - you donít have to talk if you donít want to. I tend to chat too much, so they tell meÖ Sure, I can see you want to get some rest. Iíll shut up.

Ah, Iíve just seen a new chap come in. I may as well find out what heís got on him, and try to nick it. Got to keep my hand in, eh? You have a lie-down, and Iíll be back in a bit. Itís been good to get to know you, Olag Gan.Ē

Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Nice Vila Travisina!!

Thanks for the lovely comments on my poem but I should point out the kudos goes to Mr Dahl whose poem I shamelessly adapted!!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

peladon
Very short of time at the moment, but thanks to all those who read my entries and Im glad you enjoyed them.

Lurena, I didnt understand your comment about fantasy but on the drive home this evening this came to me. I've used this character and format in another fandom but never B7. If I was to write B7 fantasy it might be like this. Over 500 again but not by much.

Players

They say your life flashes before your eyes as death approaches. For Blake the show was just a slice of his life, the bits that involved Avon. As he felt himself start to fall he realised for the first time just how much of an opportunity he had been given when Avon was put onto the London and just how badly he had squandered those chances.

He heard rather than felt the third shot and all he could think about was that even if he came out of this alive it seemed unlikely he could mend the fences.

As Avon watched Blake start to fall all he could think was ĎDamn I never got a chance to remind him what a fool he was.Ē That was quickly followed by ďI hope I got this right.Ē

To his side he heard someone fall and then shots and suddenly he wasnít quite so sure anymore.

In the space between the atoms of what both Blake and Avon had thought reality a group of figures watched the scene as if viewing chessmen on a board. As the men in black surrounded Avon a hand reached forward, the intention clear; one king was down and now the other must fall for this game to be over. Shadowy fingers reach out to touch his head and close the circle but were brought up sharply by the sudden appearance of a furled fan between the finger tips and the waiting human, a fan with gold and emerald struts.

On the board something shifted though none of the watchers could have described what it was. Unseen by the human players their universe paused.

With a sigh Destiny withdrew her hand and looked up at a newcomer to the little group, the misty hollows of her eyes scanning the shimmering figure, the owner of the fan, with something close to resignation. There were few that Destiny could not overbear but the Lady was one and she was known to be capricious.

On the shadowy edges of the board Death sensed the shift, tilted its head and watched.

Destiny drew back a little and looked into the shadowed face of the glittering figure.
ďYou intend a move Lady? I thought you bored with this little group of humans, and this one,Ē she indicated the standing man, ďwas never one of your chosen. Why now then?Ē
But Destiny like the others clustered around the board knew there would be no answer, for the Lady was always silent.
ďYou plan a continuation of the game?Ē Hope asked mildly, ďI admit the options open escape me.Ē She smiled, ďeven for one of your capability. But I am aware of your unique character and if you would play I ask you to make your move.Ē

In reply the fan was spread, its sheen lighting up the space above the board and casting it into shadow. Destiny saw in its silken heart jewel bright medallions, images of all the possibilities of all the worlds in all the universes. She had seen this before but each glimpse astonished her as much as the last. The owner of the fan seemed unmoved by what was there, tilting the fan one way and another and watching as the images shrank down to a few and all tied to the standing man and the other at his feet.

As Destiny watched the remaining medallions paled and shifted as if uncertain of what to show, the red of blood watered down to gentle pink, the black of hopelessness shot though with unexpected silver and gold. Finally the images stopped changing, but now not even Destiny could not read them, only the owner of the fan could do that.

The white hand reached out and spread the fan over the standing man and his fallen comrade, the light streamed out from the hidden images and the board shivered in its power.

In the corridors beyond the edges of the board a new figure entered.

The images seemed to shift one more time before fading and for a moment the group watching thought she had changed her mind about the game, after all it was well known she was not to be relied upon.

But her hand remained outstretched, her fan still covering the standing man; and as the light of the images faded the Lady smiled.

Anniew
OK Pelladon. To you the crown. Such a wonderfully written piece.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

mrsbookmark
Peladon,

that was great. The use of images of hope, destiny, really beautiful and visceral.

mrsbookmark
Travisina wrote:

In the Cell

ďSo, here we are. Not very nice, is it? Oh well, we wonít be here long. Do you want that bed? Itís a big one, and you are a big chap. Iíll take the one by the wall Ė I like to stay out of view, you see. Hmm, it's a bit hard Ė and is that a flea? You know what, I won't lie down. Don't want that flea and its pals to get in my hair, or go down my neck. Ugh. No, I'll just sit here, lean on the wall and keep all my togs on.

That's it, then. Now we just have to wait for the ship to come and take us to Cyg. Itíll be a long trip, and I bet it won't be much fun, not with this lot. Itís very dull in here. I wish we had some wine, itíd help pass the time. Iíve not had any wine for ages. Iím Vila, by the way. And you areÖ?

Nice to meet you. As you see, Iím not very big, so itíd be good to have a big man like you by my side. I hope you don't mind? It'll help me feel safe. Oh, yeah? You need to have folk with you to feel safe, too? Hey, we can be a team, you and me. Hereís my hand -

Oops, did you see me do that? Well done, not many Ė ow! Donít hurt me! Here, here, take it back Ė I donít want it. Itís just the way I am, you see, this is what I do - I canít help it. In fact, itís how they got me, and why Iím here. How Ďbout you?

Oh. OhÖ I donít know what to say. Damn Feds! Your poor wife. And poor you. Are you okay? No, itís fine - you donít have to talk if you donít want to. I tend to chat too much, so they tell meÖ Sure, I can see you want to get some rest. Iíll shut up.

Ah, Iíve just seen a new chap come in. I may as well find out what heís got on him, and try to nick it. Got to keep my hand in, eh? You have a lie-down, and Iíll be back in a bit. Itís been good to get to know you, Olag Gan.Ē

I can hear Vila's voice! Very nice.

mrsbookmark
JustBrad wrote:

Mistletoe12 wrote:

Mrs Bookmark: Brilliant ficlet entry! Shades of Star Trek?

I was thinking Babylon 5, The Deconstruction of Falling Stars, but yes, a brilliant rendering.

Probably B5 without meaning too because I love B5.

trevor travis
SAND FOR FOUR YEAR OLDS

Hi kids, itís Del here!!

Weíve not had much fun in the last year. Our old ship blew up, and our new ship is not as fast or as big.

We want to go to the sea to have some fun, so weíll see what we can find!! (Ha-ha, did you see what I did? See? Sea?).

I want to have a swim in the sea. No sea, boo!!!!!!! But lots and lots of sand. Yes!!!!!!!!!! Thatíll do! I can play in the sand.

Jacs is also down here. She must like sand as well. I can play with Jacs.

Oh no, the sand is evil. That chap from that BBC1 show is dead. You know, the show with the boat yard (Sue will know the show!!).

Me and Jacs are the only ones left down here. Even with no sand, we can play!!

ďIf you were the girl next move, Iíd move. Move next door!Ē

Me and Jacs have had a kiss. And a snog. A big, big snog. And even more than that. Avon will be mad. Very mad.

The evil sand did not kill us. We got away, as Jacs shed a tear and the sand died.

I did not kill Jacs, and she did not kill me. We made love, not war.

Bye, Bye Jacs, see you next time, for the next snog.

Avon is mad. ďDid you want to snog Jacs, Avon?Ē

ďNo Del, I want to snog you!!Ē

And me and Avon got wed and went to live by the sand and the sea.

THE END

I have to sing now:

I see a big, big star
In a big, big sky
Past the edge of time
Way past my mash and pieÖ
Edited by trevor travis on 26 May 2016 21:14:22

littlesue
@TT
Methinks you should really go and lie down in a very dark room!!!
And yes!! (Hand up) I know the show!!!
He was nasty Ken....and I still boo as I drive past his showroom
And I cheer as I pass the Boat yard on the other side, 'cos good old Jack lived there!

I wonder why I get strange looks as I drive over Swanwick Bridge????Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

littlesue
Wow, where to begin.
So many thoughtful and beautifully written stories that really show just how much talent and imagination there is out there.
Thankyou Anniew, PC, Peladon, Mistletoe,Travisina and everyone else who has taken the time and trouble to put their thoughts and ideas up onto this forum.
Mr Whiting, my old English teacher, would be praising you to the roof! (He once rushed across a busy street to shake hands with my Dear Dad. He was that sort of inspiring teacher!!)Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
littlesue wrote:@And yes!! (Hand up) I know the show!!!

I knew you would Grin

Going back to my darkened room Wink

Hugbot
Sorry for not commenting on this thread for a long time, but I still havenít read all the contributions (and not even all of the April stories!) - which is a pity, as this monthís collection is outstanding - hilariously funny stories on the one hand and some mind-blowing, extraordinary concepts on the other hand. I also havenít yet said thank you for your really kind comments on my April fanfics (wow, it does not happen every day that one gets compared to Ray Bradbury!).

At first, I wanted to skip the four-letter word challenge - too challenging for me. Well, I had pinned down ĎAvon and Vila went up a hill to blow up a Fed baseí, but that was all. But the Babylon 5 references in this thread reminded me that the defining questions of the Vorlons and the Shadows are comprised of words with four letters or less. So I thought, ĎWhat would happen if Morden and Sebastian were roaming the B7 universe?í

The following piece is not a story but a compilation of answers to these questions - given by the Seven (all 12 of them), the main baddies and three other famous characters. You may also see it as a kind of puzzle: Can you match the answers to the characters? (Note: The answers to the respective questions are not presented in the same order!)

Oh dear, I am way above the word count. But at least the words are short.

Time to Ask

What do you want?
- To take down the Feds. To free all. And to meet a good girl (Inga?) who will give me a nice pint of beer when all is done.
- To be free. To fly. To meet a man who Ďgets ití.
- To be rich. Is that all? No. But when I am rich I can do all I want to do. I want to be free. Not only of him.
- To go back to her. The one with the nice legs, you know. Who said Ďliíl maní to me. On that day, I was a real fool.
- To get rid of that wire in my head. Not to be able to kill, but to be free. And to be with nice boys and gals I can rely on.
- To kill her. To do to her what she did to my dad.
- To kill Roj. Oh, and may I also have my eye back?
- To live. To love. To win. To find the girl next door. And then to move.
- Move to the top. Stay at the top. Love men. Kill men. Play with men.
- I want Prof. Kayn. And a bra. And I want to get out of the cold.
- No; tell me what you do want. If it is a good goal, I will wage war for it and make it real. You just have to pay me.
- Data. All data that is. When I know all the data I will know what was, what is and what will be. I will know all. I can do all. I will be lord.
- To be your serf.
- Do not ask me what I want. Tell me what you want. I will obey ... or not.
- To sell what I can do. ... No. What I want is to get my mom and dad back. Or to find a new mom and dad, and a bro and a sis. To live a real life.
- To talk to them who are not mute. To sing to them who can hear my song in the mind. To be with my kind. Oh, but it is a vain hope. They are all gone.
- Me want pain stop. Me want bad man dead. Me want food!

Who are you?
- My name is Avon. Kerr Avon.
- I am more than the box you see. I am the sum of all data that I own.
- I am a man with no red hair.
- Me good boy with lots and lots of hair.
- I am a lady for whom sin is oh so far.
- A lady. A cat. An evil girl. The girl next door. You name it.
- I am the last girl you will ever see. Fear me. You are not safe. I hide my guns. You will not find them.
- I am a hero. I am the one who will kill Roj.
- I am a hero. I am the one who will take down the Feds.
- I am not a hero. You donít need to know my name. I am just the big guy. That will do. No one does care who I am. Just the big guy.
- I am the one they call a fool. But some say I am a wise man. It may be true. What do you say?
- Your serf.
- I was a Fed. I am my own man now. Some love me. Some hate me. I do not care. I am who I am. I am the one who wins at life.
- I am the last one of my kind. I am a lost soul.
- I am an ace. I can fly a ship. But I am also a fool to love this man who does not get it.
- I am an ace. I can kill. But I am also a girl who has lost all.
- Do not ask me who I am. I will not let you see past my hex face. You do not want to know what I am. Who I am. What I did to the crew of this ship. Why I did it.

trevor travis
Ooh, a quiz!!

I think I've worked them all out Hugbot, including the three other famous characters. Although I'm sure the chap who says he has no red hair is telling a fib Wink

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

Ooh, a quiz!!

I think I've worked them all out Hugbot, including the three other famous characters. Although I'm sure the chap who says he has no red hair is telling a fib Wink

That one literally jumped out at me.... wonder why?? Angry

Travisina
Wow, more great entries!

Peladon - that's a terrific fantasy tale.

TT - 'Sand for 4 year olds' nearly caused another tea/keyboard interface incident.

Hugbot, you genius! Your quiz was a lot of fun. Some of the clues made me laugh out loud (especially "I want Prof Kayn. And a bra" ), but then you give the whole thing a wonderfully dark twist with your very last line. Brilliant Smile

trevor travis
CITY AT THE EDGE OF THE LAND FOR FOUR YEAR OLDS

Hi kids, itís Vila here.

Del is so mean, I donít like him. I have to go down, even if I donít want to. And I donít.

Oh no, itís Babe. Heís mad and I need to do a job for him. Or die. Iíll do the job, as I plan to live for a long, long, long time and not die. Ever.

Iíve got just an hour. It wonít be my last!

But whoís the girl? I like her. She has nice legs. I hope Kez will like me, as well.

And sheís had a bath, now, as well. Did Avon lend her his duck for the bath?

Iím good at my job. No lock can stop me. Iíve done it!!!

Come on, Kez, you can come with me as you have nice legs. Letís go and see what we can find. We can hide from Babe as well.

Itís a room. And a bed. And a man who is in need of a good meal. And not much else. And no air! Oh no!!

Look away, kids, I plan to have some fun with my last bit of air. With my kit onÖ as itís BBC1 and we canít take our kit off.

I have a list. Itís just got a new No 1!

We have air. And a land. ďVila LandĒ? I like that idea, Kez!! And we have a moon. And a rock! A nice rock! Itís the rock I was sent down for!!

Well, time to go back. Come on, Kez, donít pout, I have a job to do! Itís who I am!!

Oh no, Babe has gone nuts. I must save Kez! Iíve done it, she is safe, but I have lost her. She said: ďI love you, VilaĒ. And now sheís gone Ė sigh.

Oh no!! Babe has lost it and has gone BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orac is mean to me. Thatís it!!! He will be a fish tank by this time next week. That will sort him.

Now then, I need to find a girl with nice legsÖ

My top ten list of favs by Vila R, aged 33:
1. Snog with Kez.
2. Down in Star City Ė what an hour or two that was!
3. Soma.
4. To pick a lock Ė itís who I am!
5. Any way I can get to Del Ė heís mean to me.
6. More soma.
7. To kill my dad.
8. To pick the lock of the room of Avon and hide his rock or his bear.
9. To fool folk with a lie Ė Iím not daft, but I like to fool them that I am.
10. Have I said soma yet?
Edited by trevor travis on 27 May 2016 15:49:50

trevor travis
SAND FOR FOUR YEAR OLDS (MARK 2)

Jacs here. I wonít talk down to you like Roj.

Am I a bad lady? Many say yes. I say no.

I only once had a true love. He died. He must have. I must now find out why. We must go to Virn, with all its sand. To find Don's true fate.

The man from the Boat Yard Show is a pain. I hope he dies. I will kill him with my own hand if I can.

Del has done it for me. He has shot the man from the Boat Yard Show. Well done, Del.

Itís just me and Del down here with all this sand. No one else. Just us. One man and me.

I must play this with care. Del will kill me if he can. But he is just a man. Men are weak once you know how. And I do.

I tell him: ďIím just the girl next doorĒ. He has fell for it. Hook, line and all the way. Just a man, for me to use.

My true love is dead. Don is dead. I knew he was. A long time ago. Iím sad.

I can use the fact I am sad with Del. Play with him. Love him. And then kill him. Itís what I do.

In fact, I can kill him now if I want. But I wonít. Not this time.

A tear. Just one tear. It was a real tear. Not fake. And now we can get out. We now know how to hold back the sand.

Bye, bye Del. He did not tell Avon. I can get away from Virn.

Will I kill Del when we meet the next time? I donít know. In a way, I love him. But that may not stop me. Any one in my way dies.

Iím sad. But I will win. Itís what I do.
Edited by trevor travis on 27 May 2016 19:43:22

Mistletoe12
@ Hugbot: Oh, great quiz. Very clever! Grin

@TT: Sand and City are good fun - and Sand (Mark 2) is excellent.

Hugbot
I already wanted to do this last month; hence the familiar first line. I hope the reference to the Apache chief (which most of you wonít know) is not too confusing.

Starlight Casino

It was a dark and stormy night. Blake braced himself against the wind. He felt disoriented and exhausted but he trod forward, towards the welcoming light that shone through the trees of the forest. There was a house somewhere in front of him - shelter at last!

The wind swept through the branches and rustled in the foliage. Trees groaned under the strain, and thunder murmured in the distance. Blake went on, his eyes and his mind firmly focused on the light that trembled in the rhythm of his steps.

Finally, he reached the house. In desparation, he raised an arm to knock at the door, but in the same moment, someone opened from inside. Warm light gleamed through the opening. When his eyes had adapted to the sudden brightness, Blake recognised the man who had opened the door. Gan wore a welcoming smile on his lips and beckoned him inside.

Confused and worn out, Blake stumbled over the threshold. He knew that something was wrong. There was something about Gan that he should remember, but his memories were blurred. He could not even remember what he was doing in this forest. It had been a long and tiring walk.

To his surprise, the interior of the house turned out to be a bar of some sorts. Tables were scattered about the floor, and at the back a singer and his band performed on a small stage. Blake was too exhausted to ask any questions. Silently he allowed Gan to take him to one of the tables where they sat down.

Two other men were already seated at the table: an alien with pointed ears and an Apache chief. There was something familiar in his face. Slowly, Blakeís memories began to awake.

ĎAdam?í he asked.

The Indian cringed. ĎWell, yes, in a way,í he answered, Ďalthough this is not the noblest of my names. You wouldnít like to be called Shem either, would you?í

Shem ... that name rang a bell. ĎNo,í Blake said smiling, Ďno, I also had nobler names. Morgan ... Owen Edwards ... Roj Blake.í He sighed. ĎBut that is all over nowí, he realised. Finally, he had remembered what had brought him here.

The alien had remained in stern silence, but now he leaned forward and said, ĎNo, it is not. In a way, we still live and prosper.í And with these words, he pointed to the stage. Blake turned around and had a closer look at the singer. It was a tall, blond man, clothed in an extraordinary way. Up to now, Blake had not paid attention to the music, but now he listened to the lyrics: ĎWe can be heroes, for ever and ever.í

He leaned back in his seat and suddenly felt calm and relaxed, even content. He and all the others gathered in this bar beyond the dark and stormy night were heroes, and he knew they would continue to be heroes for ever in the memories of the people.

Travisina
Wow... Hugbot. I've actually just said 'Wow!' out loud as I recognised the singer.
That's just heart-stoppingly wonderful. Dark & Stormy Night, Heroes AND Blake, all in one story that moved me to tears.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.45 seconds
9,822,214 unique visits since 8th January 2014