Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Liberator Chronicles Volume 12 *Spoilers Thread*
trevor travis
12.1 Corners of the Mind by Andy Lane

Avon is trapped in a labyrinth full of puzzles, with no way to teleport to safety and deadly traps at every corner. He needs all his wits to survive, but there is one problem - he is losing his mind with every puzzle, piece by piece, memory by memory.

12.2 Capital by Guy Adams

The Armageddon Storm. A weapon so dreadful that it can lay waste to entire planets. A weapon that Avon has used to hold the Federation to account.

A voice from the past brings news of its redeployment… and the fate of Blake. Del Tarrant is sent to Earth to recover both - but will he survive?

12.3 Punishment by Guy Adams

It’s the end of the world and Vila’s father has returned. He isn’t sure what is worse. With the crew of Liberator arrested and Tarrant dead, can Vila rescue the man he hates and save the day? A coward turned hero… with the fate of planet Earth hanging in the balance.

Written By: Andy Lane, Guy Adams
Directed By: Lisa Bowerman

Cast

Paul Darrow (Avon), Jan Chappell (Cally), Michael Keating (Vila), Steven Pacey (Tarrant), David Warner (Tavac)

Producer Cavan Scott
Script Editor Justin Richards
Executive Producers Jason Haigh-Ellery and Nicholas Briggs
Edited by Travisina on 25 April 2016 20:12:33

Spaceship Dispatcher
So where are the spoilers? Wink
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Corners Of The Mind

In which Avon enters a really devious and weird version of the Crystal Maze. The challenges that Avon has to face here are quite interesting (some are quite like the DW story, Pyramids Of Mars), and it’s interesting to hear snippets of his past, as they are erased from his head. That’s an interesting point, actually, once Avon (with Cally’s help) has fought off his old ‘friend’, his past failures remain deleted from his mind. Is this partial deletion responsible for Avon’s subsequent descent into stress in Season Derek? Yep, I think the like this story, but it’ll require a second listen to confirm that.

Capital

IMO Capital suffers being a ‘set-up’ episode. It’s quite laborious in the way that Tarrant recounts events. Plus the Armageddon Storm – well, we’ve been there once before haven’t we? Although I guess it being used on Earth is a new twist. And Grant is strangely absent. Where’s he? He’s been on board since Avon gains plans of the Armageddon Storm. Nice to have David Warner back, although again this is the set-up to the following episode. The ending is quite interesting, with Tarrant risking everything to get the message through to Vila – he’s suitably heroic, with Steven Pacey giving his all in the role. Not too keen on this as a story, though, while Steven’s Avon is OK, but it needed Jacks in it to do the Servalan lines.

Punishment

Much, much better, as Vila and his father Solvin Tavac are involved in a battle of wits. Michael Keating and David Warner are simply wonderful. Vila stays very much in character, as Tavac completely under-estimates him. Tavac tries to trick Vila, but as Vila points out towards the end, there are two things he is really good at: ‘lies and locks’. He uses both, as he frees the crew, and then uses deception to keep Tavac occupied for long enough, so that the crew can undo the plans of Servalan and Tavac. It ties up a few loose ends, as the Armageddon Storm is wiped and also seems to be the end for Tavac – he really does seem to die this time. I’m a sucker for Vila stories and this is a good one! Excellent audio, that brings the fantastic Libby Chronicles to a fitting end.
Edited by trevor travis on 25 April 2016 10:19:37

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

There you go Wink

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

There you go Wink

Cheers! 12.1 and 12.3 look quite interesting.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

There you go Wink

Cheers! 12.1 and 12.3 look quite interesting.

I expect you to like 12.2 and dislike the other two Grin

BradPaula
Liberator Chronicles #12 has just arrived today and the audios sound very interesting. Just a bit sad about Cavan Scott relinquishing his post as producer and wondering about the fate of Blake's 7 at Big Finish in the future. The latest issue of Vortex has no mention of any more B7 audios for the year... but I live in hope. I will need to listen first, but it seems Grant has left the Liberator in a huff with no explanation...? Or did Avon finally give him 'the Vargas treatment'? lol

jdn-85
BradPaula wrote:

Liberator Chronicles #12 has just arrived today and the audios sound very interesting. Just a bit sad about Cavan Scott relinquishing his post as producer and wondering about the fate of Blake's 7 at Big Finish in the future. The latest issue of Vortex has no mention of any more B7 audios for the year... but I live in hope. I will need to listen first, but it seems Grant has left the Liberator in a huff with no explanation...? Or did Avon finally give him 'the Vargas treatment'? lol

I must have missed that about Cavan Scott. Is the future looking a bit bleak then with his departure? I thought Cavan did a good job at the helm

BradPaula
BradPaula wrote:

Note: News of Cavan Scotts departure as producer of Big Finish Blake's 7 audios is in the liner notes of 12.3 Punishment, in Liberator Chronicles #12 just released. Other than what I have read on the liner notes, I have no information or knowledge as to what the future holds.

Gauda Cheese
Cavan didn't seem to be the producer long.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

BradPaula
Gauda Cheese wrote:

If I can be allowed to venture a guess? His forte is writing and I think he wanted to get back to his first love and not be involved in the fiddly bits of the audios. Just my guess mind you.

Gauda Cheese
BradPaula wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

If I can be allowed to venture a guess? His forte is writing and I think he wanted to get back to his first love and not be involved in the fiddly bits of the audios. Just my guess mind you.

Maybe so. Being a line producer would be a big allure, but hiring yourself might get awkward Oops If he's going to write more then I'm happy with that too. His Who and B7 work is entertaining
Edited by Gauda Cheese on 26 April 2016 23:28:56
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

trevor travis
I've listened to volume 12 again, and enjoyed all three of them this time - I guess Capital is a bit something and nothing, but it's enjoyable simply because of Steven Pacey's infectious narration of the tale.

Volume 12 is one of the stronger volumes.

Punishment is still my favourite of the three. Listening to it again, you can tell it's written to build towards the final confrontation between Vila and Tavac at the end, but doesn't suffer at all for that.

Vila is spot on. Clever and cunning, without ever doing anything stupidily heroic. That's left to Tarrant in the previous tale Grin

I feel that should be the end for Solvin Tavac. He really should be left as dead this time.

dragonq
I found Corners of the Mind to be entertaining, Capital unnecessarily confusing (was fine with the performance from Steven, the problems were all the fault of the script), and Punishment the best of the set. I'm not a fan of the whole Tolvin Savac subplot, for reasons I have expressed elsewhere, but David Warner plays him really well, and he and Michael Keating are brilliant together.

trevor travis
Corners Of The Mind is fun in that it's an Avon superiority complex tale, in which he survives because he's so confident in his own abilities, with the twist that any self-doubt is being taken away as the tale progresses, as he loses memory of any past failures.

Hence, by the end of the tale, we're left with a totally ego-centric Avon who doesn't believe it's possible to him to fail. It works well if you place this tale directly before Terminal.

Spaceresearcher
trevor travis wrote:

Corners Of The Mind

*snip*

Capital

*snip*

Punishment

*snip*

Totally agree on all points.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 10 May 2016 10:37:42

MLPasterisk
I agree that Corners Of The Mind had a Pyramids of Mars vibe. Doctor Who also covered similar ground in Death To The Daleks and The Five Doctors.
Wasn't completely sold on this one.
Cally had a fairly thankless role basically acting as the Liberator receptionist and passing on messages from the other crew members. Avon describing the puzzles as he was solving them felt a bit laboured. It seemed like the kind of story that would have worked better on TV than audio.

Capital

Good performance from Steven Pacey but I agree that this one suffers a bit from having to set up the cliffhangers for the next installment.

Punishment

Definitely the best of the bunch. Great performances from Michael Keating and David Warner. Always good to have a story where Vila gets to show he's a lot smarter than he may choose to let on.

Strangely, no mention of B7 Productions on the packaging. Instead it credits the estate of Terry Nation. I wonder if this means that B7P are no longer involved with Blake's 7 ? (They are currently producing an audio series of their own about Dan Dare.)

A decent end to The Liberator Chronicles but I'm now very keen to hear what plans Big Finish have next for Blake's 7.

BradPaula
I thought Corners of the Mind by Andy Lane was ok although to me it was very redundant having Avon go from one puzzle to the other and easily solving them. I think it was good to have him speaking with Cally via communicator as a plot point but I did question if he would take the time to do that in the series when he was busy trying to save his own life by solving the puzzles to get free. The story was a bit flat to me, so I'd rate it only a 2 out of 5.

Capital by Guy Adams was much better and I thoroughly enjoyed Steven Pacey as Tarrant in this. Big Finish has done what was seldom done in the original series and that is to be able to give the characters more depth and scope and of course get much better lines. After listening to all 12 Liberator Chronicles audios plus 14 extra stories along the way, I have come to realize just how good a voice actor both Steven Pacey and Michael Keating are and look forward to stories with either or both in them together. This story brought up the idea from Liberator Chronicles #3, The Armageddon Storm, and that is fine, but they did not have Del Grant in the crew for this one and that did bring up the question of what heppened to the mercenary. I would have thought they might have put in a small scene with Avon discussing with the others why Grant had left, but nothing. I do hope they conclude the character's appearance in a future audio. But a shining example of why Steven Pacey is at the top of his game- I'd give this one 5 out of 5.

The last audio Punishment, by Guy Adams again, is the natural progression from Capital . It features Michael Keating and David Warner, coming back as Vila's father. Well, you can't get any better than Michael Keating and David Warner so I really loved this continuation of Captial. The last two audios were well written and even better acted and they were much better than Corners of the Mind in my opinion. I'd give this audio a 5 out of 5. Well done, Big Finish, and I sincerely hope we have the same caliber stories or better for audios in the future.

Joe Dredd
MLPasterisk wrote:

Strangely, no mention of B7 Productions on the packaging. Instead it credits the estate of Terry Nation. I wonder if this means that B7P are no longer involved with Blake's 7 ? (They are currently producing an audio series of their own about Dan Dare.)

I believe B7P no longer have the rights to B7. I think that is why there was some delays in Big Finish getting LC12 and the line moving again - they had to negotiate the rights.

I'm pleased if its true. I don't know that B7P added anything to BF's B7 audio line, except presumably extra cost.

BradPaula
Joe Dredd wrote:

MLPasterisk wrote:

I believe B7P no longer have the rights to B7. I think that is why there was some delays in Big Finish getting LC12 and the line moving again - they had to negotiate the rights.

I'm pleased if its true. I don't know that B7P added anything to BF's B7 audio line, except presumably extra cost.

That was my understanding of the recent protracted talks between copyright holders in favor of Big Finish. Yay.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.41 seconds
9,156,625 unique visits since 8th January 2014