Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Gareth Thomas 1945 - 2016
ewanmorgan
I’ve been wanting to post all day today to tell of my sadness at the loss of Gareth Thomas who really meant so much to me as a child.

As an eleven-year-old I still recall opening the local paper to read that Gareth Thomas would be returning to the role of Roj Blake in the final episode of the fourth series convincing myself he would be there to save the day and defeat the Federation once and for all. Thirty-five minutes in and I must confess to having doubts that this would be how the story would play out. Chris Boucher broke that little boy’s heart that night. He did teach him when the little boy turned into a teenager that heroes don’t always win.

Gareth played the part brilliantly, most people would always look on Paul Darrow making the show his own and I followed right until that last episode. The main difference in the two characters was that Avon cared for one person, Blake cared for everyone and that was a far higher burden and responsibility to carry on your shoulders. Gareth stole it back in that last episode. You could tell he was Welsh as he had a celtic fire that when he shouted, you listened.

I met Gareth only once in 1988 at a convention, he lived up to the passion of his character, he liked a wee dram and he certainly sunk a few that night. We were all due to watch the Blooper Tape after the auction and Gareth decided at the last minute to auction his Jacket for Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Now Gareth wanted to get it up to £100 or more and it stumbled at about £50. Now Gareth terrified his audience to get to his target while Sheelagh Wells who I believe Gareth was married to at some point though separated by this point tried to calm him down.

But Gareth stood his ground and explained his reasoning and he got his winning bid.

We then watched the Blooper tape but before watching the second half, Gareth then decided to auction of a piece of his hair cut by Sheelagh! I’m pleased to say that it sold quicker than the jacket and the winning recipient thought he’d be clever by asking Gareth to sign it, ever willing to oblige Gareth spat into it, well he did ask!

Gareth was asked about ‘Morgan’s Boy’ at the convention which he was of course very fond of and again, a serial where he died at the end which he found very amusing when he went through a list of serials that he’d perished in. Gareth happily talked about the series much to the amusement of his audience. In the last episode Gareth’s character faced with the loss of his farm takes a shotgun and takes his own life as well as his faithful sheepdog which is so incredibly moving.

Gareth spoke of the reaction to the series in that in the aftermath he went to one of his local Welsh pub’s where the Barman told him, “Gareth, do you remember old Dai that used to sit at the end of the bar and would say nothing, well the other night he’d not been seen and when they found him he’d shot himself and left a note saying, ‘Morgan’s Boy told me the way to go’,”. There was a fair gasp from the audience that everyone thought was going to be an amusing anecdote was something far more serious.

Gareth was very shaken by that and spoke that it showed him the responsibilities of the power of television.

To end with, one funny story that Gareth told us was that one night he was reading his paper at home while watching ‘Telly Addicts’ in the background. His ears pricked up when he heard Noel Edmonds ask, “Who played Blake, in Blake’s Seven”?

Gareth angrily said, “The family contestants said every Welsh name under the sun, Gareth Evans, Gareth Hughes, Gareth Davies, Gareth Llewellyn, everyone except Gareth Thomas, these people, they were meant to be Bloody Telly Addicts”!

I’ll raise a wee dram to you tonight Gareth, ‘Slangevar’ from Scotland Gareth.

sweevo
A touching tribute, ewanmorgan. I really do wish the BBC would release Morgan's Boy on some form of home media (heck, I'd even be happy if it were VHS or Laserdisc).

These are the lyrics I have written for my song in memory of Gareth - now comes the hard part: the melody.

"The Earth which you leave is not the end, but the beginning
The journey you have taken is one we all take in time
The world is a bigger place than this plane, knowing no ending
But you, my friend, have ascended to the world of light

You leave us here in the shadows, where we mourn your loss
The evening draws, and we part ways
Close friends and loved ones leave, crying for the bridge they cannot cross
The path of your departure is one of peace and pain

And so we stand here, remembering you and what you stood for
The person you were, the passion for your goals and their ultimate worth
Now you begin your final voyage into the unknown, where you go forth
As we mourn your departure from the Earth"

guiser
So sad to hear this last night. He is such a big part of why I love Blake's 7. I also loved him in "How Green was my Valley" and the Dalek Empire audios and I only wish I had been able to see him in "Morgan's Boy". He will be missed.

Silver Alaunt
We heard that Gareth was not well on Saturday and we all hoped he would get better. It wasn't to be and I am very sad to hear the news tonight. He was a part of my life and yours.

Condolences to his family and friends and all who loved him.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Some really amazing tributes. Gareth Thomas, a real star. Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

littlesue
When the last episode of Morgan's Boy went out down here in the South there was a very bad thunderstorm and the Isle of Wight Transmitter went off. All hell broke loose as everyone was watching the show to see how it ended.
To shut everyone up, the BBC South mob had the last episode reshown the following Friday night.
I honestly can't recall much about it except that Gareth did a a slow burn at one point and then let loose with a passion. I was so glad not to have been on the receiving end of that bit of acting!!
They never repeated it, either, and as has been pointed out, it is not on DVD either. In fact, I don't think they even did a video of it.
Which is a shame.
I do have a very bad copy of Gareth on the quiz show Space Cadets. I'll try and get the link to it.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

meegat39
ewanmorgan thank you for your tribute and personal stories. You have made me both laugh and cry.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

DeetaTarrant
MrsMrOlag wrote:

I feel quite helpless and would like to do something kind in his memory, as he was such a kind man himself.
I send my love and sympathies.

Well said. An act of kindness, either collectively, or simply as individuals, would be a fine tribute, I feel.

I send my condolences to Gareth's family and his many friends and colleagues. Best wishes to all of you. xxx

atomicmayo
So sad, but also heartwarming to see everyone remembering him so fondly. RIP.
my tumblr | my twitter | my deviantart | my patreon

http://i-fought-space.tumblr.com
intergalactic
May God forgive You, for missing S3 and S4, Gareth, as I did.
May your soul rest in peace.

Condolences to his family and all who love him.

mrsbookmark
Thank you so much Gareth Thomas for the inspiring character you created and all the work that you did.

May you rest in peace.

JustBrad
We were just getting on the Heathrow Express early this morning when we got the news. Very sad. 20 hours later we are home, and if I am too tired to collect my thoughts, at least I now have time to post a proper, if wholly inadequate tribute.

This picture is the first time we met Gareth, and we felt we had made a friend for life. There is a back story to the wide smiles in this photo: We were at Vision's Con, and the camera for the photo shoot had broken down. Gareth was dismissed for a moment.

The camera was fixed in short order and we were sent forward, but no one told Gareth. To his obvious horror, we came upon him behind the screen, cigarette in one hand, unfinished beer in the other. Paula waved a hand and whispered, "Finish your beer, Gareth, and relax, you don't have to be on for us, we're long time fans."

Jokes and handshakes were exchanged, as is obvious from the picture. The next year he was back, and he remembered our names, calling a, "Hello Brad and Paula," from across the room.

i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/Blakes%207/gareth_zpsqaumkz5j.jpg

There are so many things I could say about Gareth's acting, but I recall the words of Burn Gorman who referred to Gareth as 'a brilliant and criminally underused actor, after working with him on Torchwood.'

Scott
A sad day, Gareth was a great actor and a fine man. I had the pleasure of meeting him on a number of occasions over the years and always enjoyed his company.

Although he was best known for Blake he also had a fondness for reciting poetry. So I thought I would post this clip from the footage I shot at the first Gauda Prime mini con back in October 2011. Only those in attendance witnessed this recital of a rather moving Roger McGough poem, but it seemed only appropriate to share it with you all now.

https://youtu.be/...

Scott

JannaKalderash
I never got to meet him myself. I was hoping to do so during my trip to London in two years. From everything I hear, he was a sweetheart of a guy, and much loved.

RIP Gareth. You will be very much missed by all of us.

BradPaula
What can I say? I'm gutted hearing the news. As Brad said above, we were on our way to the airport on the Heathrow express at 7:30 am this morning when we got the dreaded email. The news certainly darkened an otherwise wonderful holiday. I have been crying off and on all day and just can't fathom our Blake is gone.

God bless you, Gareth. You were a mighty talent and a good man. Rest in Peace, you will not be forgotten.

deadkenny
So sad Sad RIP Gareth

Such a crappy year for celebrities.

Or is it just being that age where our heroes of childhood are now dying off. Seems a lot in 2016 though so far.

Dtar
I've got to say I was sad and surprised to hear of Gareth Thomas' passing.

I heard about it from my dad, who emailed the BBC obituary to me. He then sent the 2013 story on the BBC site about the reboot for SyFy. I said "where did you find that?" He said he found the link on the BBC site with the obituary. So it sadly seems like Gareth Thomas has gone, but that story about the reboot is still sitting out thereUnsure!

Anniew
I feel so flat and sad today! Gauda Prime again but without any hope of rewriting the ending. Those of you who knew Gareth personally must be feeling so bad. I'm sending you hugs.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
Anniew wrote:

I feel so flat and sad today! Gauda Prime again but without any hope of rewriting the ending. Those of you who knew Gareth personally must be feeling so bad. I'm sending you hugs.

Oh, Annie, that's so true, and after such a wonderful Saturday spent with Blake's 7 actors/support people/and our fellow fans. A personal Gauda Prime indeed. Still crying...

Here's a photo from Return to Gauda Prime One, with dear friend Lorna. We managed to be first in line to have photos with Gareth and Micheal and of course Lorna wanted to be with her favorite Michael, which left me with Gareth, and glad of it. Such wonderful memories of the weekend, and of our actors. Hope this gives a little ray of sunshine to my fellow Forum members on a very cloudy and unhappy couple of days.

i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/DSCF3431_zpshrcpfo6u.jpg
Edited by BradPaula on 15 April 2016 12:23:07

Lorna
Thanks for posting that photo Paula. Happy memories on a sad week. He will be sorely missed!!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.46 seconds
9,096,810 unique visits since 8th January 2014