Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Gareth Thomas 1945 - 2016
clareblues1
Inquisitor wrote:

https://scontent-...e=57AD5F62

Heres a photo of me with Gareth Thomas from a convention in 2009. I remember meeting up with some fans and we went to the pub for a drink.

Cant seem to get the image to display so heres a link

I remember that day Inquisitor...it was my first time out meeting Gareth and I distinctly remember saying with gusto "What a lovely man!" after he left the pub and returned to the con.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

clareblues1
Travisina wrote:

Horizon obituary to Gareth is now up on the website here:

http://www.blakes...cle_id=146

That's lovely Travisina...sums him up perfectly... Smile
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

clanger68
Scott wrote:

A sad day, Gareth was a great actor and a fine man. I had the pleasure of meeting him on a number of occasions over the years and always enjoyed his company.

Although he was best known for Blake he also had a fondness for reciting poetry. So I thought I would post this clip from the footage I shot at the first Gauda Prime mini con back in October 2011. Only those in attendance witnessed this recital of a rather moving Roger McGough poem, but it seemed only appropriate to share it with you all now.

https://youtu.be/...

Scott

Thank you shooting and sharing that Scott, it's made me sad again, but I'm so glad we have things like this on record.

- Andy
aquitar.blakes-7.co.uk/Animation/Scorpio_100.gif

Vila - "I plan to live forever - or die trying"

http://www.exewing.co.uk
Frankymole
A lovely obituary posted by Travisina.

The Guardian one says he was born in Brentford, which I think is near Ealing. Does anyone know for sure where he was born?

Frankymole
ewanmorgan wrote:

Gareth was asked about ‘Morgan’s Boy’ at the convention which he was of course very fond of and again, a serial where he died at the end which he found very amusing when he went through a list of serials that he’d perished in. Gareth happily talked about the series much to the amusement of his audience. In the last episode Gareth’s character faced with the loss of his farm takes a shotgun and takes his own life as well as his faithful sheepdog which is so incredibly moving.

Gareth spoke of the reaction to the series in that in the aftermath he went to one of his local Welsh pub’s where the Barman told him, “Gareth, do you remember old Dai that used to sit at the end of the bar and would say nothing, well the other night he’d not been seen and when they found him he’d shot himself and left a note saying, ‘Morgan’s Boy told me the way to go’,”. There was a fair gasp from the audience that everyone thought was going to be an amusing anecdote was something far more serious.

Gareth was very shaken by that and spoke that it showed him the responsibilities of the power of television.
There are some lovely anecdotes like that from Gareth on here: http://www.hermit...1989Gareth

Anniew
Oh Scott, what a moving reading of the poem Gareth gave. The gentleman of the Road was created so simply and with such a sure touch. Loved the poem ( new to me) and the performance by Gareth was so, so good. Thank you for posting.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Anniew
And lovely memories on the Hermit site Franky. I loved " I gave a Hather's fart!" And his view of conventions. And his passion for fairness.

Mistletoe12
Incredibly touching tribute, Travisina. And the poem (thanks Scott). And all those memories and photos! Moving and sad ... but grateful to this thread; it' s a consolation.

Maximum Power
Gareth always made a point at his convention panels of stating that he and the other actors were only "here" because of the fans and that wasn't just words - he revealed to me that for many years he declined to take a fee for appearing at such cons. That shows you what sort of man he was - he really did put himself out for us.

Anniew
Everytime I log onto the site and see the picture from The Way Back of Gareth I get a sense of shocked disbelief. Still can't believe it.

BradPaula
Anniew wrote:

Everytime I log onto the site and see the picture from The Way Back of Gareth I get a sense of shocked disbelief. Still can't believe it.

We all feel it, Annie. Time for a virtual hug!

clanger68
*Hug*

Anniew
Ahh thanks. Hugs back

Travisina
Joins in group hug. *sniff*
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

peladon
So very very sad. I never met him personally but its clear from all Ive heard from others that he was a very approachable and friendly man who made a very positive impact on those he met with. Can anyone ask of a better summing of their life. His family will grieve and I feel for them, but in the end they will have some wonderful memories.
Edited by peladon on 16 April 2016 18:00:17

Aakheperure
I'm new and had rather hoped my first post should be something rather more cheerful. (It took me rather a long time to work out how to insert an image)
I never met Mr Thomas, but the rebellion reached rural Australia in the late 1970's and stayed. I don't have any photographs but made this as my tribute to someone who had a huge impact on me growing up, and from reading the other posts here, it is heartening to know I'm not alone, and that Mr Thomas is so fondly remembered by so many other people.
lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oMUCK66wpSU/VxAtvN2An8I/AAAAAAAAJdo/O2Wf-ZEAr4EhZFrwUqjMCVqn9ezw6PFow/w663-h467-p-rw/Screen%2BShot%2B2016-04-15%2Bat%2B9.26.29%2Bam.png

waynem0
Like everyone on here, I too wanted to express my sadness at the passing of Gareth. I have always loved Blakes 7 and wish I could have met him in person. The fact that so many people wish to express their feelings means a great deal and is a tribute to him in itself. His memory will live on with us fans. I just wish the BBC had taken more of an interest and dedicated some real air time to this great man and actor. RIP Gareth Thomas.

clanger68
Aakheperure wrote:

I'm new and had rather hoped my first post should be something rather more cheerful. (It took me rather a long time to work out how to insert an image)
I never met Mr Thomas, but the rebellion reached rural Australia in the late 1970's and stayed. I don't have any photographs but made this as my tribute to someone who had a huge impact on me growing up, and from reading the other posts here, it is heartening to know I'm not alone, and that Mr Thomas is so fondly remembered by so many other people.
lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oMUCK66wpSU/VxAtvN2An8I/AAAAAAAAJdo/O2Wf-ZEAr4EhZFrwUqjMCVqn9ezw6PFow/w663-h467-p-rw/Screen%2BShot%2B2016-04-15%2Bat%2B9.26.29%2Bam.png

That is lovely, as are all the tributes and comments on this thread.

It is a comfort to know Gareth was appreciated by so many.

Lurena
So many heartwarming and lovely comments, so much appreciation.
Indeed, a comfort...
*joins the group hug*
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Morphenniel
I was lucky enough to meet Gareth in 2003 at Star One. At the time I was not very well, and during the day needed to be given a room to lie down. I was worried about missing out but the organisers arranged for him to come to the room and meet me personally, which was lovely of him. He was absolutely lovely to me and very caring.

I met him a few years later at another convention when I was better, and he remembered me which was very touching.

I have a photo taken with him and Paul from Star One in 2003 which I treasure. At the time I had relatives saying I should not have gone as I was too unwell, I am grateful I did.

Also very grateful this forum exists, it was a horrible shock to find out and having to go to work and not saying anything, because people there would not understand. People on this forum get it.

R.I.P., hero.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.49 seconds
9,809,795 unique visits since 8th January 2014