Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Fanfic News Thread
Spaceship Dispatcher
clareblues1 wrote:

For anyone who's interested, I've just re-posted my Tarrant blog in a separate thread...Grin

Thanks Clare, I'll have a read of those this coming week if I can Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
@ Sue and Lurena

Just read your story Nets of Avarice, all in one sitting too! It was really engaging once the Liberator crew began to be placed in danger, after a necessarily slow start to set the scene, and held my attention completely right to the end. The illustrations were excellent and the combination of good descriptions, snappy dialogue and the visual element made the adventure really come alive. The dialogue itself was well written and felt right for all the regular characters, and they were all really well served in their own ways; there were some great lines for Vila that I easily imagined Michael saying; Blake was in character as a gullible idealist who rises to the challenge when the crisis begins to unfold; Avon was easily recognisable and spot on, though I was surprised he was out of the action so much considering your affection for the character; Gan had the kind of role in a story that he never had in the show itself, which I enjoyed because it was the same Gan that we know from the series without needing to give him any special abilities or shocking backstory to have a 'reason' for his taking the lead; Jenna gets to use her piloting skills; and Cally gets to use her telepathy. The only question mark for me was how easily duped Avon was by Kran, a far inferior operator who Avon should have seen through and resisted, but apart from that one uncharacteristic moment of foolishness he was perfectly written and Paul's voice was in my head while I was reading all his lines. The sense of camaraderie was recaptured note perfect, especially between Blake and Gan, and the whole crew felt like the slightly dysfunctional team they were on television. The plot device for removing the Liberator was highly effective and the space travel story elements that followed worked just as well. Especially noteworthy and praise-worthy for me was the long scene between Blake and Avon on the planet's surface where they discuss the story, each other's feelings and what they have learned from meeting the Wani; it reminded me a lot of the scene at the end of most episodes of the first series of Space:1999 where the three main leads discuss what the episode's events have taught them. The way the story winds down slowly, instead of just ending, worked very well too and gave opportunity for some touching scenes of the main characters together without the pressure of a crisis. There were also some individual lines that caught my attention: “Colour?” Blake asked incredulously. “A simple thing. I actually thought that you were aware of this idea. You are wearing predominantly green. That stands for good, that you can be trusted and you make someone welcome.” was interesting in the context of the show and how it can be argued that Blake manipulates others to follow his cause; It was a box. Except this didn’t appear to be an ordinary box. gave me visions of Windy Miller, PC McGarry or Mr Dagenham appearing from it; Avon stared out at the vast expanse of golden brown earth, slashed through by a deep, meandering canyon. The steep sides swooped down to a boulder filled basin through which a shallow river gently made its way to a distant destination. Avon stared down at the sheer cliff face immediately in front of him. and “Has it ever crossed your mind that there appears to be an inordinate number of Earth-like planets?” which allowed the reader the freedom to imagine the scene as either an amazing vista or a West Country sand-pit according to preference; and “The doctor told me what Kran had done and how…..” “That was most kind of him...what ever happened to patient confidentiality?” which was a typical Avon come back that did make me laugh. All in all, really well done!

SD Grin
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 19 April 2014 10:46:23
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

littlesue
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

@ Sue and Lurena

Just read your story Nets of Avarice, all in one sitting too! It was really engaging once the Liberator crew began to be placed in danger, after a necessarily slow start to set the scene, and held my attention completely right to the end. The illustrations were excellent and the combination of good descriptions, snappy dialogue and the visual element made the adventure really come alive. The dialogue itself was well written and felt right for all the regular characters, and they were all really well served in their own ways; there were some great lines for Vila that I easily imagined Michael saying; Blake was in character as a gullible idealist who rises to the challenge when the crisis begins to unfold; Avon was easily recognisable and spot on, though I was surprised he was out of the action so much considering your affection for the character; Gan had the kind of role in a story that he never had in the show itself, which I enjoyed because it was the same Gan that we know from the series without needing to give him any special abilities or shocking backstory to have a 'reason' for his taking the lead; Jenna gets to use her piloting skills; and Cally gets to use her telepathy. The only question mark for me was how easily duped Avon was by Kran, a far inferior operator who Avon should have seen through and resisted, but apart from that one uncharacteristic moment of foolishness he was perfectly written and Paul's voice was in my head while I was reading all his lines. The sense of camaraderie was recaptured note perfect, especially between Blake and Gan, and the whole crew felt like the slightly dysfunctional team they were on television. The plot device for removing the Liberator was highly effective and the space travel story elements that followed worked just as well. Especially noteworthy and praise-worthy for me was the long scene between Blake and Avon on the planet's surface where they discuss the story, each other's feelings and what they have learned from meeting the Wani; it reminded me a lot of the scene at the end of most episodes of the first series of Space:1999 where the three main leads discuss what the episode's events have taught them. The way the story winds down slowly, instead of just ending, worked very well too and gave opportunity for some touching scenes of the main characters together without the pressure of a crisis. There were also some individual lines that caught my attention: “Colour?” Blake asked incredulously. “A simple thing. I actually thought that you were aware of this idea. You are wearing predominantly green. That stands for good, that you can be trusted and you make someone welcome.” was interesting in the context of the show and how it can be argued that Blake manipulates others to follow his cause; It was a box. Except this didn’t appear to be an ordinary box. gave me visions of Windy Miller, PC McGarry or Mr Dagenham appearing from it; Avon stared out at the vast expanse of golden brown earth, slashed through by a deep, meandering canyon. The steep sides swooped down to a boulder filled basin through which a shallow river gently made its way to a distant destination. Avon stared down at the sheer cliff face immediately in front of him. and “Has it ever crossed your mind that there appears to be an inordinate number of Earth-like planets?” which allowed the reader the freedom to imagine the scene as either an amazing vista or a West Country sand-pit according to preference; and “The doctor told me what Kran had done and how…..” “That was most kind of him...what ever happened to patient confidentiality?” which was a typical Avon come back that did make me laugh. All in all, really well done!

SD Grin

BlushSmile
I just thought that Gan should have a bit more to do...and that our hero should take a back seat this time.
I tend to describe places I have actually been...and that was me flying over the Grand Canyon...(a story from the Fjords of Norway that was related to us by our guide last year, turns up in Quiet Move!)
Sometimes things have to happen for an event to take place, hence Avon falling for Kran's excuses.
And it was Lurena who came up with the colour scheme idea.....as well as meegat who thought our hero looked fab in that judo suit in Shadow!
I'm just waiting to hear from lurena with regards to the next story.....something Paul mentioned as liking is turning up...Angry
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
Sopron wrote:

...and I snorked, much to the confusion of my colleague, who thought I was reading work-related emails...

:D

Hi Sopron -

Just wondering if you a) listen to The Archers or b) frequent their message board?
Reason for asking: I thought that 'snork' was a term invented by Archers fans. Are you one? I am!

T.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Sopron
Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I was an avid Archers listener. When Nigel took that dive, I joined the exodus. I think snorked is more generic than you thought (or I've picked it up from another AA!)

Who knows? I may return now they're 'under new management Smile

Travisina
Sopron wrote:

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I was an avid Archers listener. When Nigel took that dive, I joined the exodus. I think snorked is more generic than you thought (or I've picked it up from another AA!)

Who knows? I may return now they're 'under new management Smile

At the risk of derailing this thread... I had only just joined the BBC Archers message board after years of lurking (since the Siobhan/Brian storyline) when Nigel took the dive. The subsequent ructions put me off posting, though I did continue to listen through gritted teeth, so to speak. Then the BBC closed down the message board, but there is now a fan-run site called Mustardland http://www.parano...stardland/ to which most regulars have migrated.

As for the show itself - some weeks are better than others, but it's got a couple of good storylines going at the moment, and it's rediscovered some of its former sense of humour. Plus Tony is now played by the wonderful David Troughton!

If you - or anyone else - would like to discuss The Archers I'd be very happy to start a new thread. But for now, I'll shut up. It's on in a couple of mins, anyway Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Working at the moment on a new Dr Who fanfic featuring the Doctor and Clara, as played on screen by Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman, set in the Pacific in the mid-1950s and involving a certain recurring species of annoyed subterranean reptiles...

Part way through writing chapter two at the moment, but will wait until its finished before posting it online Happy

Lurena
littlesue wrote:

@ Sue and Lurena

SD Grin

BlushSmile
I just thought that Gan should have a bit more to do...and that our hero should take a back seat this time.
I tend to describe places I have actually been...and that was me flying over the Grand Canyon...(a story from the Fjords of Norway that was related to us by our guide last year, turns up in Quiet Move!)
Sometimes things have to happen for an event to take place, hence Avon falling for Kran's excuses.
And it was Lurena who came up with the colour scheme idea.....as well as meegat who thought our hero looked fab in that judo suit in Shadow!
I'm just waiting to hear from lurena with regards to the next story.....something Paul mentioned as liking is turning up...Angry

I just replied to your pm SD, and now I read this post of yours!
Apologies for replying so late. I've been working and ill at the same time. Sometimes I had no Internet access and now I just returned from Germany.

I second littlesue's *blush*
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased you enjoyed the story so much.
I love traditions like colour culture and numeric systems. I also have a vast geeky interest in technology.
The Wani and their work are actually an old wishful fantasy of mine and Sue perfectly picked it up and went with the flow.
I am happy I found Sue, I think our skills match very well for writing together, which is a great joy!

(You'll hear from me Littlesue!)
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Spaceship Dispatcher
i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/Spaceship_Dispatcher/Andrew%20Skilleter/IMG_5496_zpsc1d87da1.jpg

Andrew Skilleter has just completed this new artwork for me! Its a recreation of part of the fanfic that I wrote for last year's 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, but drawn in the style of a 1950s comic strip such as may have appeared in annuals of the time. The story is called Fracture, featuring the 5th and 11th Doctors and their respective companions, and can be read with the strip section in context here...

littlesue
Just to let all the Avon fans out there (you know who you are!), that a new story written by myself and Lurena is up and running on the website.
Basically, Mr D has oft mentioned that he likes a certain genre.
So here is my take on that certain genre.
It's entitled 'Zero Hour'.
Think ‘High Noon’ meets ‘The Magnificent Seven!
http://lectorisal.../zero-hour

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have just taken a look at Zero Hour and it looks absolutely magnificent, with a nice compact page style and amazing illustrations that make it look really appealing. I'm sure the written content will equal the high visual standards and I'm going to read it as soon as possible! I love your writing Sue.

Today I wrote the first 600 words or so of my next fanfic*, based on The Avengers but with a very brief Dr Who/UNIT cross-over element. It features Steed and Tara with cameos from Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Corporal Benton...

*I finished my latest Dr Who fanfic, featuring the 11th Doctor and Clara, but am holding onto it until there's a couple of illustrations to go along with it. Being another 19000 word epic (like Fracture), it needs some pictures to break it up!

Lurena
Thank you SD! I'm happy you like my publishing style!
I'm still too occupied to have a good read of your work, but I will keep my promise and it will be the first thing I'll do.

Perhaps you may be interested in how Sue and I co-operate?
Here's a shortened excerpt of my Zero Hour story set up which I sent to Sue. She then starts to write and I comment to it with critics and suggestions. We discuss and alter, and sometimes re-alter. When the story is complete we send it to our proof readers Paula and Lorna, and act to their comments.
For example, Zero Hour has 62 correspondence files!
In the excerpt below you will notice my fascination for numeral systems ( actually all scientific knowledge). But as I mentioned once before, Blake's 7 never did in depth science.

Excerpt:
Blake finds a resistance group of a pretty isolated culture/planet, Aboola ( wink to the inventor of the binary system: George Boole, British maths scientist)
The Federation forces the Abooleans to travel in space (to scan and protect their quadrant), but they lack the will and the knowledge of the science to do so.
Their numeration system lacks the 0 (zero), so they are unable to calculate co-ordinates and program the computers.
They use the bijective base-10 system (decimal without zero) and the unary numeral system ( for tallying).
Blake wants Avon to teach those people about the 0.
Avon doesn’t like to do it, but then these people show him a coded device.
This finally stirs up Avon’s curiosity and ego; he wants to find out and agrees.
Avon manages to decipher the cryptic tally marks on the device ( a transmitter, originated from the Andromedans), but just before he can read the exact co-ordinates he is forced to hand it all over to Travis’ mutoids.
The episode ends with a bitter Avon, leaving for his Liberator cabin, after finishing the confrontation with Blake. The final sentence, spoken by Avon has to be:
“As for you future requests, Blake…Zero means nothing to me!”

Zero Hour definition:
1. the time set for the beginning of a military attack or operation.
2. the time set for the beginning of any event or action.
3. a decisive or critical time.

"Zero means nothing to me" is a famous ancient proverb.

Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Spaceship Dispatcher
Have just finished reading Zero Hour and it definately equalled all high expectations; easy to follow, a very adictive page turner (or should that be pager scroller on the internet?) with realistic dialogue, authentic original characters and deep three dimensional new characters. The way that it prequelled another episode in a later series was clever and relevant to the plot, and filled a continuity gap in the original show, but was never layered so thickly as to feel obsessed with that continuity. These particular lines and quotes got my attention, although there were many great lines especially for Avon and Blake: (Quotes in white to avoid spoilers)

This was a great bit of prose! Grin
There was a stilted silence as both stared at each other. Two diverse individuals brought together by one singular moment. They made a strange tableaux seated on the darkened steps, both illuminated by one antiquated light.

This was interesting. I took it to be a reference to the Big Finish audio Promises; a nice touch of continuity.
Whereas, you both want me to risk my life against that so-called Salvager?”
“Would you rather we attempted to storm that compound? Now that would be suicide...”
“…and you know all about that.”
Cally was hurt by that remark, “On this occasion, it would be prudent to play it safe
.”

This was perfect Avon and Blake sparring:
Blake took the gun from Avon’s grasp and shook his head, “It’s not right.”
“Is anything we do, right?” Avon asked.
“He’s only a boy, Avon.”
“Not anymore
.”

And this was spot on characterisation for Blake, living in a fantasy world that only works on paper:
Oh yes. Any break in that would certainly attract their attention. And now you have another ship; one you can use for your own benefit. Set up trading agreements with other planets, even take over the Salvager’s role...if you want to.”

A really good read, thanks Sue and Lurena!

@ Lurena: thanks also for your post about the writing process, it was very interesting; I left it until after reading the story just in case there was a spoiler lurking in there! I noted the Boole reference while reading the story Grin

littlesue
Thank you for your kind words, SD.
I haven't listened to Promises, so I had no idea about the continuity!!
And I'm so glad someone knows about the Boole reference. I hadn't the foggiestGrin

meegat39
Well I've just finished reading Zero Hour and it really was a great story! The writing was lovely and I found the storyline exciting. I really love the way you manage to get into the characters heads, particularly Avon's! The twist with Josef was very clevely written and the illustrations looked great too! Loved it! Grin
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

littlesue
meegat39 wrote:

Well I've just finished reading Zero Hour and it really was a great story! The writing was lovely and I found the storyline exciting. I really love the way you manage to get into the characters heads, particularly Avon's! The twist with Josef was very clevely written and the illustrations looked great too! Loved it! Grin

Thank you Meegat, for your kind words.
Something else, featuring our hero, is taking shape on this keyboard. It concerns a thought that both Hubby and I considered back in 1978...that Avon wasn't everything he pretended to be..........Angry

Spaceship Dispatcher
littlesue wrote:

Something else, featuring our hero, is taking shape on this keyboard. It concerns a thought that both Hubby and I considered back in 1978...that Avon wasn't everything he pretended to be..........Angry

He's actually a Chippendale?

littlesue

littlesue wrote:

I say...now there's a thought!Grin

Joe Dredd

littlesue wrote:

Something else, featuring our hero, is taking shape on this keyboard. It concerns a thought that both Hubby and I considered back in 1978...that Avon wasn't everything he pretended to be..........:@

Are you saying he's a little wooden, SD?

Spaceship Dispatcher
Joe Dredd wrote:

Are you saying he's a little wooden, SD?

Ouch! No, I wouldn't dare... not around here certainly! Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.74 seconds
9,126,426 unique visits since 8th January 2014