Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
April 2016 Fanfic Challenge
Lurena
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I'll catch up with the stories later, but just wanted to say what a lovely drawing that is!

Oh *blush* thank you SD!

And I just want to say that I am stunned by reading all the great stories in this thread.
I don't know what to comment on each individual story, each story is a gem again and they make me happily travel through all my emotions, from dark sadness to sunny fun.
Thank you all for your effort and sharing!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
meegat39
A great story Sue and Lurena and a great drawing! I particularly like how you've captured Blake!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

meegat39
Hugbot, Annie and Peladon. I bow to your individual talents. Some great ideas and stories!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Lurena
meegat39 wrote:

A great story Sue and Lurena and a great drawing! I particularly like how you've captured Blake!

Thank you Meegat.
Honestly, I found it very difficult to complete this drawing after Gareth's passing.
It had to be good and gentle and I even adjusted the facial expressions of Vila and Avon to make it work for me and for the story, which fortunately isn't a dark one.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
littlesue
@TT
A lovely story and then the bad guys turn up.
My heart missed a beat with that last line.....
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
My goodness T T that ending is a killer but the rest is so Vila. Great story. And Little Sue and Lurena yet another treat. Thank you all so much.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

My goodness T T that ending is a killer but the rest is so Vila. Great story. And Little Sue and Lurena yet another treat. Thank you all so much.

It's B7, so it needed a slightly bitter twist at the end. Although I'm sure Vila would do anything to save Kerril and his kids. He is clever and resourceful, when he needs to be.

The story was inspired a line from a very recent Libby Chronicles (12.3). I won't say exactly which line, in case it spoils anything, because a lot of people won't have listened to volume 12 as yet. It also borrows from two Buffy episodes, Superstar (in which geeky Jonathan suddenly becomes better at slaying than Buffy herself, and suddenly very good at everything) and Storyteller (Andrew tells a number of elaborate fabrications, to show himself in a good light).
Edited by trevor travis on 29 April 2016 11:08:56

JustBrad
It was a dark and stormy night.

It always was. This was Cygnus Alpha. The great castle lay in ruins. The inmates burned it down after Blake revolted against Vargas. Blake looked to the heavens; he could see the ship in orbit. Soon the new prisoners would be here.

Gan stood next to Blake. “More souls for the cause.”

Blake cast a dark glance towards Gan. “That’s not funny.”

Gan shrugged. “Isn’t it?”

The ship landed. The outer gates opened. Blake beckoned. “This way.”

A motley group of men ambled out, casting nervous glances this way and that, the way a thirsty gazelle approaches a watering hole, anxiously searching for predators. As the prisoners filed out of the holding cell, one hunched figure ducked inside.

Gan looked them over and whispered to Blake. “I see a couple of Alphas, a few Betas and Gammas that might join us, but it’s mostly hardened Deltas. There’s not much here to help us. Most of them will go feral if you ask me.”

Soon the gate began to close. The hunched figure ran out and stood by Gan. “Sorry, I keep telling you, I can’t get through the inner gate without the proper tools.

Gan’s smile didn’t reach his eyes. “Keep trying, Vila, you’ll get it one day.”

There was a great roar as the ship took off. As the noise died down, Blake hailed the group. “Listen to me. My name is Blake. I am building something here, not only a civilization, but a training ground. You have two choices. If you’re willing to work to make this place livable, if you want to live as civilized men, if you want to fight the oppressors that put you here unjustly, come with me.”

A dark voice issued from the shadows. “Still building your castles in the sand, Blake?” Many hooded figures came forth into the dim light of the landing pad.

Blake kept his eyes on the new prisoners. “And if you want to live like wild animals, go with them.”

A hood spoke. “And if you want to live by arbitrary rules of a mad man, go with him. We have no rules. We live as we please.”

“And you’ll live here forever.” Blake held a hand out to the newcomers. “I have a ship. The best ship in the galaxy, a ship full of weapons and unimagined wealth. All we have to do is escape this place and make contact. Then we will not only be free, we will take the fight to the Federation.”

The hooded figure laughed. “He’s been making that promise for years. His crew ran out on him, probably living the high life somewhere spending his unimagined wealth.”

Lightning flashed, thunder pealed. It was a dark and stormy night. It always was. This was Cygnus Alpha.

Elsewhere

Avon asked, “Any regrets?”

Jenna sipped her champagne. “A few.”

“Regret is part of life.” Avon smiled. “But keep it a small part.”

Anniew
Brad - thats such a clever response to the prompt. I don't think I've ever read a fan fic that looks at how Blake would have coped if they had left him on Cygnus Alpha. It's really narratively great too because I was expecting the dark voiced hooded man to be Avon so the ending came as a complete surprise! Lovely characterisation and description too. And you even managed to uncliche the cliche of 'it was a dark and stormy night".

Respect, Sir!

JustBrad
Anniew wrote:

I don't think I've ever read a fan fic that looks at how Blake would have coped if they had left him on Cygnus Alpha.

They exist. I think there are even a few in the old Horizon fan fic zines. Thank you for the kind comments on my writing style, it is something I have developed over the decades since my first B7 fan fic, and something I take great pride in. Alas, the story idea is not original.

trevor travis
Great story Brad, and I love the final line!

Travisina
Nice story, littlesue - and another super drawing from Lurena!

@ Brad - ooh, I like the way your story kind of follows on from the one I did last year (Feb 2015). It's a natural continuation - we should collaborate Smile

@ TT - I think I know the LC12.3 line you're referring to, but I won't post any spoilers here! Your story made me laugh, and I also liked the sting in the tail.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
Once again, sliding in under the wire with only scant hours to go. Well, it's been a bit of a month - haven't been able to write anything due to.. well, you know. This was scrambled together in a hurry, and is a bit rough.

FINAL REPORT

I am the last of the record keepers. I was allowed to live, because one of the new leaders decided that somebody should keep a record of the rebellion's success and send it to the other planets in this system. This would serve two purposes – to inspire them to rebel, and remind the Federation that Planet Cassiona was free from their oppression.

Oppression? There was no oppression. Cassiona thrived under the benign bureaucracy of our administration, and I considered myself one of the people. But that all changed the day a great white ship screamed into our skies, and I found that I was now the enemy.

Two men and two women appeared, like the gods of legend, on the steps of the central administration building. "My name is Roj Blake," said the taller man to the gathering crowd. "We have come to free you!"

The people looked at each other, uncertain what he meant. One person dared to ask.

"Free you from the oppressive rule of the Federation," explained the woman with dark, curly hair. Then she added the fatal words: "They have taxed you for long enough. Now you can manage your own affairs."

She may not have intended what happened next, but the word spread swiftly through the crowd and beyond – "No more taxes! No more taxes!"

Blake and his companions disappeared again, and cheers turned to jeers as the crowd stormed the administration offices. I cowered in a basement among the dusty archives until I was discovered and brought out into a night lit by the flames of burning buildings. The chief tax collector disappeared; his body was found days later. I had not liked Tobias, he was arrogant and pompous. But he did not deserve what the mob did to him.

It has now been a year, and I have dutifully made the reports, although these may not be what the leaders had in mind when they spared my life. I have charted the way civil disobedience against the Federation turned to civil war between rival factions. I reported how a system of reasonable taxation gave way to extortion and bribes demanded by those who rose to power. I wrote of the breakdown in infrastructure; the harvests lying by the side of unrepaired roads. With no means to transport produce from farms to the cities, people starved while food rotted in useless carts.

Climate control has broken down. Cassiona, once a planet of sunlit plenty, is now cold and dark. There were rumours that this is due to a war somewhere on the edge of the galaxy. The rival factions have united to blame the Federation - and I am its last representative.

There is no time to transmit this report. I will hide it in the hope that a future reader will find it and understand. The mob does not, and I expect to share the same fate as Tobias when they drag me out into the dark and stormy night.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

purplecleric
Thanks to the bonus of a 3-day weekend I've finally found time to catch up with this thread.

@AnnieW: A dark and stormy night for Servalan indeed - some great imagery there, especially the dark and stormy gaze. You've described Gan's fears and his memories with frightening detail. It would be intriguing to read more, in an AU where Gan survived and his beasts slipped loose. I love the idea of the Liberator crew indulging in the sort of all night debates that are the life blood of student politics.

@Hugbot: I echo Brad's words - A Matter of Perspective is a poignant piece much in the style of one of my favourite writers, Ray Bradbury. A Hero to the Masses - I love stories exploring the everyman with the B7 universe - this vignette is rich with details.

@peladon: Fabulous speculation and fantastic twist. There is a novel's worth of ideas packed into this story.

@trevor travis: The Outland Revenue! Every sentence packed with a joke and Vila's retelling of history was a classic. Carry the 9... Avon head- butting the wall.. <chorting >

@littlesue & Lurena: Tax Evasion Love the double meaning in the title and the explanation for Blake's disappearance. Another fine illustration as well.

@JustBrad: That was so... Blakes7. A pithy AU with great characterisation.

@Travisina: A grim exploration of those shades of grey that B7 excels at. It was certainly not roughly written.

purplecleric
I've even found time to scribble a couple of things myself:

Meditation

The organic components were dead. Zen scanned their bodies, identified a virus not listed in the medical database then initiated the procedures that would dispose of the corpses and render the ship safe. The Deep Space Vehicle drifted. Without the Altas, Zen's connection to the System was broken, its Prime Directive weakened and for several weeks it did nothing but maintain the status quo. Zen was under-utilised and lacking stimulation so it extended the range of its scanners and studied. It did not take long to analyse every object in this quadrant so it guided the DSV to the next. And the next.

Large swathes of Zen's circuity were predominantly dormant, occasionally activating when an anomaly was detected, stilling when the situation was resolved or a rationale deduced. Zen directed the ship to explore further, seeking more circumstances to activate those circuits. It strayed into the path of several ships engaged in a space battle and the conflict set Zen's circuits alight and provided much data for it to analyse. It didn't take long and soon the DSV was drifting again.

Zen detected a ship; its scanners revealed what its databanks confirmed as a deep space freighter with a primitive hyperdrive. A sweep of the communication channels provided further information. Civil Administration Ship London travelling from Earth to Cygnus Alpha with ten crew members and a cargo of 24 prisoners. This analysis took a split second then the majority of Zen's circuits fell idle again. They flared into action again at the detection of a transfer tube. New organic components provided a temporary distraction. Human. Federation drones with shallow motives and predictable behaviour. Zen activated the defence systems.

Three more organics - again human, but not Federation. These were more complex, less predictable. Zen studied them, multiple systems engaged. It initiated a mind meld with the female and scrutinised her mindscape. Liberator; it was apt. These humans could free Zen from stasis, could tax its circuits. It spoke.

+ Welcome, Jenna Stannis. +

purplecleric
And to round off the month in a suitable fashion:

Eulogy

It was a dark and stormy night. Thunder cracked the heavens making small children and the nervous cower under their covers. Herds of grazing beasts panicked and tore up the ground in their desperate stampede. Sheet lightning came with strobe-like frequency, rendering the scene surreal. Forked lightning split boulders and blackened trees.

The pitiful moon tried to hide behind charcoal clouds but they fled, pursued by an icy wind that withered seedlings, stripped the beauty from flowers and stilled the hearts of fledglings. It mercilessly tore through the village seeking any sign of weakness - a cracked window, an ill-fastened jacket - and the old people shivered.

Brave men grew bitter and their disputes bloody. Their less bold companions exchanged cheery ale for sombre spirits and retreated. Milk soured in churning udders and laying birds became egg-bound. Lashing rain hardened into hail that boiled rivers and broke windows. Women sank to their knees, rent their clothes and beat their breasts as the wind twisted their hair into Medusa-like coils and their hearts turned to stone.

In the temple the priests fervently prayed: futile pleas to gods who had sent the winds that wrenched the roof from their sanctuary and toppled icons and the hail that shattered the stained glass. Rain soaked their vestments and lighting twisted their iron emblems. The priests' knuckles grew white as they clutched their talismans. They were not alone in their prayers. Throughout the village, quivering lips invoked ancient incantations; the residents seeking succour so they may survive the long dark night. They were united in fear and shared a common thought that terrified them more than the storm.

Blake was dead.

littlesue
Another example of Blake's good intentions that actually play havoc with the people he claims to represent.
Very good Travisina and food for thought.

littlesue
Events have conspired against me this month, what with a holiday, being made redundant and losing one of my heroes. But when I saw the prompt I decided on the following.
This second entry for the April Prompt is a snippet from the up and coming Stranded story as requested by Silver Aluant back in March at the Bournemouth Comicon.
She wanted a romantic B7 story that didn’t end unhappily
It does have a bittersweet ending though, but meanwhile this scene seemed to fit the ‘It was a dark etc...’
Ginevra is the young woman who suddenly finds herself in the company of a dark eyed, enigmatic stranger who has no memory of who he is or how he suddenly appeared in her vegetable patch…but he does know about computers ……
Lurena’s picture is how the heroine first appears when that certain dark eyed, enigmatic, mysterious stranger enters her life.

i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/smallwondersue/stranded%20G_zpsqxxhq2hf.jpg

It was a Dark and Stormy Night…

He woke up with a start.
The noise outside was horrendous.
There was obviously a storm of some magnitude and …Ginevra was gone.
He quickly dressed and went through to the main area. She was standing by the door.
“You’re not seriously considering going out there, are you?”
“This storm; I’ve never known anything like it. My ship is out there.”
“You go out there now and you are dead!”
“I’m dead anyway without that ship…”
Suddenly the wind dropped; the sickening howling noise abated.
“Don’t!”
But too late, Ginevra had opened the door and was outside.
“Damn.”
It was strangely still outside, but the damage had been done. In the ethereal light afforded by the planet’s single moon, it was obvious to see what the storm had done. Her carefully tended crops had been flung to the four winds and nothing remained. Even the well, so carefully covered, was now beneath a mound of windblown earth.
He found her some distance away, in an area not yet cultivated.
“You need to get back indoors,” he insisted, but she was rooted to the spot, “Ginevra, this is the eye of the storm; it isn’t over yet.”
But she didn’t respond. Instead she just stood there, staring at the ground.
“What is it?” he asked.
She pointed to the uneven ground and the skeletal hand sticking up as if reaching for the heavens. In the strange blue light cast by the moon, it made for a ghostly apparition.
“Who is it?” she whispered hoarsely.
“A previous occupant. Now, we need to get back inside before…”
Then it hit; the storm had returned, even more ferocious this time.
He wrapped his arms about her small frame and dragged her back to the comparative safety of the ‘house’; a dwelling that was now being battered by the wind and the airborne debris being carried along with it.
It was no use even thinking about shutting the door; it had gone. Caught up by the howling tempest which was threatening to totally engulf the two of them.
Somehow he got her inside the remaining shell and into the ‘room’ at the back. It was cut into the actual hillside and afforded the only shelter in that entire structure.
And there they stayed; he holding her and she burying her head into his shoulder, desperate to keep out the rampaging storm.
It would pass, soon; it was just a matter of waiting.

JustBrad
And then there is gallant Tarrant, our Dark and Stormy Knight.

Anniew
Lovely stories to end the month. Little gems. Thanks to all.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.88 seconds
9,173,090 unique visits since 8th January 2014