Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Marvel Cinematic Universe
Spaceship Dispatcher
I know there's quite a few fans of Marvel films and television series on the board, and I'm seriously thinking of catching up with the movie franchise known as the MCU. As a family we have already seen and very much enjoyed Captain America: The First Avenger and its spin-off series Agent Carter, but I selected those because of the period setting and as a Hayley Atwell fan. I'm interested in what existing fans of the other films might say about their own experiences and likes or dislikes? I would be intending to start at the beginning in production order with the first Iron Man film and then continue to the present, excluding films that do not directly interact with the shared Universe such as Guardians of the Galaxy though. Television series apart from Agent Carter s2 would also take a lower priority for now, though Agents of SHIELD has caught my attention. However, thoughts and comments on the tv series are also very welcome!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
We enjoyed the Iron Man movies most, mostly due to Robert Downey Jr. The first Thor was the best of that lot. The Captain America films were okay for us, mostly for a game of Spot The Actors (Hugo Weaving, Toby Jones, etc). All the Avengers were good in my book (Even without Steed or Peel). The rest are a bit of a blur.

Stay well away from the Hulk movie.

Haven't seen any of the TV series.

trevor travis
Avengers Assemble was atrocious. Haven't bothered after that. Can't believe such a talented writer/director as Joss Whedon can come out with such dross.

Klenotka
Agents of SHIELD start very slowly but it is one of those shows that gets better in following seasons...I think the second half of season 1 was already great. But it is necessary to know a bit of the other stuff because its story is tied to the movies.
I would personally go simply chronologically. I still think Iron Man is the best, it was basically a love child, who got everything, and the director and the crew still had free hands. Ant-Man is fun and I like that for it, but it ties a bit to Avengers as well. Actually, MCU is great in it - each movie or TV show has references and hints and sometimes direct link to following (or previous) stories.
Iron Man 2 was weak, but it introduced Black Widow who developed into a very interesting character.
I think Thor movies are generally the weakest. The first one is OK, directed and played as a sort of Shakespearan drama (if you can believe that Grin ) - no wonder, Kenneth Branagh directed it. But it also had the weakest female characters in the whole franchise - Natalie Portman´s Jane. Thor 2 had Chris Eccleston, who speaks in some weird language most of the time and from all the movies is really the worst, I think (not counting Hulk but I think that one is a bit underrated)

First Avengers was fine. The first half was weaker but it got better when they simply started the big battle. Second Avengers...well, it was a popcorn movie, and I don´t remember much from it.

I think Agents of SHIELD and Iron Man 1 and 3 are definitely worth watching. Also Ant-Man, first Thor...simply most of the "phase 1".

EDIT: I forgot to mention Guardians of the Galaxy, which is totally "out" the usual MCU´s group of heroes. It is hilarious and funny and..Karen Gillan is there, so you may like it Grin
Edited by Klenotka on 26 March 2016 17:25:29
Don´t be Lasagne

Gauda Cheese
I've enjoyed all of it to some degrees, the only MCU stuff I haven't seen is SHIELD and Agent Carter.

Concerning the flicks, Winter Soldier and Ant-Man as thus far my favourites.

Of all of it I think the Netflix stuff is the best, Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones S1 (with David Tennent) and Daredevil season 2.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just watched, and enjoyed, the first Iron Man film! Robert Downey Jr is a good leading man, never needing to dominate the set and other players in order to dominate the drama. The rapport between Tony and Pepper worked really well, also not needing to be forced or over the top, so I'm glad to read that their relationship is developed further. The plot was nice and simple with mostly likable if not really memorable protagonists, and suitability villainous antagonists. Much of the film reminded me of a Brosnan era Bond movie, and it would not have felt out of place to see John Cleese working on building the suit! A very impressive first film in the franchise, next up is The Incredible Hulk...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

JustBrad
IMHO the Iron Man flicks are the best of the Marvel Movies, due in no small part to the roguish, but lovable RDJ.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I have made the decision to skip The Incredible Hulk and skip straight to Iron Man 2, based on these factors:

TIH serves little function as an origin story as there's not much to know about the Hulk's origins anyway
TIH also does not function as a first story for a new interpretation of Banner, as the part was later recast
My local HMV had a deal that enabled me to complete Phases 1 and 2 sans Hulk and Guardians of the Galaxy for £40
Iron Man 2 has Scarlett Johannson*

*actually, this was the main reason - the other three are excuses Grin

So... onwards to Iron Man 2, and I did enjoy this one even more than the pilot film. It was fun without being to fast, interesting without having a great deal of plot, plenty of character ambiguity without motivations becoming convoluted, was filled with classic one liners (the best ones mostly for Pepper Potts) and was a great introduction for Nick Fury and Natasha Romanoff too. There was some action and the film had lots of energy, but mostly it was character led. The Monaco Grand Prix sequence was effectively realised, and being a keen F1 fan that was a potential stumbling point, and using retro 1970s cars and safety features for the race was actually a good idea; it was realistic, albeit for a bygone era, but distanced the carnage and fires etc. from the recognisable brand of modern motor sport.

Looking forward to the next instalment, Thor...

Klenotka
I think Iron Man 2 is one of my least favourite Marvel movies. Looking back...it was not bad and I was a bit hesitant about Black Widow at first (And without any origin movie, she is one of the best characters in the movies). But I thought the pace was a bit off and there were a few really immature jokes that seemed misplaced. But there was more Coulson, yay! Smile

As for skipping Hulk...the one with Norton is actually pretty good (but forgotten) but Liv Tyler seemed as if she walked into wrong door and still thought she was Arwen (whispered the whole time Grin ). I think there was a conflict between Norton and the studio. However, Tony Stark has a cameo.

Thor is the least interesting of the bunch, imo, and the first movie is OK.
Don´t be Lasagne

Spaceship Dispatcher
Forgot to write any comments at the time, but we watched Thor a couple of weeks ago! Probably my least favourite of the films seen so far, the director's vision of the alien world being just a little too much larger than life for my tastes. Also the split narrative meant that neither setting or characters on either world were really explored all that well and remained a bit basic character wise. I'm not too aggrieved about the residents of Thor's world being clichéd, because in a way that was the whole point of the exercise; that the stereotypes of god-like warlords handed down through mythology were based on a genuine alien culture. But it just didn't grab my interest and attention as much as the Iron Man or Captain America films from the first phase. Next up in the queue is The Avengers...

dragonq
I've seen far more of these films than I ever would have by choice, because I generally find superheroes tedious; however, my daughter is a huge fan (Tom Hiddleston is apparently my future son in law), which means that they are hard to avoid. Iron Man I just want to smack in the head (a bit like Captain Jack in Who, another character whose appeal defeats me) and Hulk is impossible to take seriously; but I actually liked the Thor films the best of the ones I have seen, particularly The Dark World. Yes, Thor is a bonehead, but that's his personality in Norse myth, and I liked the mythological underpinnings. And my FSIL is, admittedly, excellent. Agree about Natalie Portman, who is a very overrated actress generally. But I suspect my opinion doesn't count for much because, as I say, I am not into superheroes.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Saturday evening was the turn of The Avengers into the dvd player. I'm not into action films as a rule, and fighting or battle scenes usually turn me right off. However, this is an exception to that rule! The sharp wit, one liners, rapport, banter and general humour carried on right through the middle and third sections of the film, making it highly entertaining and enjoyable to the end; literally the end, with the team celebrating and relaxing after saving the world by going for a kebab being absolutely brilliant! The rivalry between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark was really well done, the loyal rank and file army man crossing the playboy billionaire, and I'm looking forward to seeing that working relationship (or lack of) develop. Natasha is loads of fun as another smart, fiery, sharp witted and sharp tongued but loyal, sincere, visually stunning and essentially likable redheaded heroine. Favourite character status pretty well assured. All the cast were great though, and this was definitely one to watch again.

Scott
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I know there's quite a few fans of Marvel films and television series on the board, and I'm seriously thinking of catching up with the movie franchise known as the MCU. As a family we have already seen and very much enjoyed Captain America: The First Avenger and its spin-off series Agent Carter, but I selected those because of the period setting and as a Hayley Atwell fan. I'm interested in what existing fans of the other films might say about their own experiences and likes or dislikes? I would be intending to start at the beginning in production order with the first Iron Man film and then continue to the present, excluding films that do not directly interact with the shared Universe such as Guardians of the Galaxy though. Television series apart from Agent Carter s2 would also take a lower priority for now, though Agents of SHIELD has caught my attention. However, thoughts and comments on the tv series are also very welcome!

Hi SD

Glad you are generally enjoying the MCU films. Although I would say that Guardians of the Galaxy is part of the main MCU story Arc, even though it appears to be a stand alone. It is tied up quite closely with the stones of power storylines in the Avengers and Thor films. Apart from that it also an immensely entertaining film with a superb musical soundtrack. It's just the Spiderman and Xmen films which should be viewed separately all the others including Ant Man and GoftG tie in to a lesser or greater degree.

Cheers.

Scott

Spaceship Dispatcher
Scott wrote:

Glad you are generally enjoying the MCU films. Although I would say that Guardians of the Galaxy is part of the main MCU story Arc, even though it appears to be a stand alone. It is tied up quite closely with the stones of power storylines in the Avengers and Thor films. Apart from that it also an immensely entertaining film with a superb musical soundtrack. It's just the Spiderman and Xmen films which should be viewed separately all the others including Ant Man and GoftG tie in to a lesser or greater degree.

Cheers Scott, thanks for the advice! Comic book continuity can be a bit of a maze. I definitely have Ant-Man on the shelf, but have other reasons that I just didn't into for not wanting to watch the Guardians films. Once we catch up with the latest releases, Civil War will probably come out before we reach Ant-Man on dvd, we're more likely to switch to the latest DC shared universe film series than the 20th Century Fox version of Marvel.

Scott
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Scott wrote:

Cheers Scott, thanks for the advice! Comic book continuity can be a bit of a maze. I definitely have Ant-Man on the shelf, but have other reasons that I just didn't into for not wanting to watch the Guardians films. Once we catch up with the latest releases, Civil War will probably come out before we reach Ant-Man on dvd, we're more likely to switch to the latest DC shared universe film series than the 20th Century Fox version of Marvel.

No worries SD, although you should watch Ant Man before Civil War as they do cross over. Next up for me is Deadpool (I might even watch it later tonight).

Angry Scott

Spaceship Dispatcher
Scott wrote:

No worries SD, although you should watch Ant Man before Civil War as they do cross over...

Oh yes, definitely not going to watch any out of sequence! Continuity is crazy enough to follow without taking shortcuts Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
What draws fans to a particular genre, in this instance super hero films and series? Or is the term super hero itself too broad, a bit like horror or sci-fi? Looking superficially at the category there seems to be quite a bit of variation, even between franchises that are based on the same source material such as the 20th Century Fox and Disney interpretations of the Marvel comic books?

As you can tell from the fact that I’m catching up from so far behind, the Marvel Avengers film series is one that I have overlooked for some years. The promotion of the earlier productions simply failed to grab my attention and the emphasis on the heroes’ powers and battles in films such as The Avengers likewise. Generally speaking, super heroes in isolation don’t interest me unless there is some secondary draw. But the thing about even a genre with a specific focus is that it’s still a composite of different elements, and that’s what leads me to the above questions. It was the SHIELD aspect of the Marvel franchise and its similarity to Doctor Who’s UNIT and Torchwood organisations that was a deciding factor for me; drama based on real life or fictitious military and commercial intelligence is probably my number one interest in film and television, and a fantasy crossover angle is always of interest too. Incidentally, the fact that Guardians of the Galaxy is missing this ingredient is one of the reasons for my lack of interest in that particular film. Another factor was discovering that Natasha Romanoff is a secret agent and not a super hero with any powers; yes Scarlett Johansson is amazing, and Natasha exactly my kind of heroine in other ways, but I had never seen her before I watched Iron Man 2 and didn’t know that when I bought the dvds. There are lots of other things that I now love about the films, but that’s only through watching them. So the draw was actually the framework of the premise rather than the premise itself, and the fact that one of the main characters is not a super hero! How about anyone else?

I’m now considering catching up with the DC Extended Universe later this year, albeit from only two films behind, but the draw there is completely different: Henry Cavill impressed me in both The Tudors and The Man From UNCLE, and I love the original Wonder Woman television series and want to see the new version of the character. As well, it was partly the similarity of Captain America: The First Avenger to the 1970s Wonder Woman show that especially captured my attention when we watched the former as our first step into the Marvel universe…

meegat39
I'm not gong to write too much here, but personally I find most superhero films with a few exclusions a real turn-off. For what it's worth I hated Deadpool. Seemed a load of gratuitous violence and swearing, very cliched and actually quite boring. en However, Guardians of the Galaxy is a cracking film. Great characters, dialogue and story, very entertaining and reminiscent of Blake's 7. Oh and it had Karen Gillan in it, SD!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

JustBrad
The Superhero. No matter how powerful the villain is, no matter how far beyond the reach of the police or military the villain is, the superhero will eventually catch up with him and bring you to justice. The fantasy of the unstoppable force of justice is appealing. The superhero is therefore appealing, especially in times when there seems to be so much injustice, like the 30's and 40's, the heyday of comic book superheroes.

It helps if the superhero has a character flaw, or a weakness, or isn't TOO perfect. That way we mere mortals can identify with the superherhero.

The problem, long term, is that the superhero is, well, super. He is by definition indestructible, and therefore must be given a weakness, like Kryptonite or a love interest that can be menaced by the villain.

Usually I find myself interested in a Superhero genre for a while, and then get bored. It's hard to find conflict when the hero is indestructible. After a while this often leads to plot lines where the conflict feels forced, and when that happens, I stop caring. When I stop caring, it doesn't matter how good your special effects are.

That hasn't happened yet with Marvel, but I fear it is soon in coming.

Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:

...It's hard to find conflict when the hero is indestructible. After a while this often leads to plot lines where the conflict feels forced, and when that happens, I stop caring. When I stop caring, it doesn't matter how good your special effects are.

That hasn't happened yet with Marvel, but I fear it is soon in coming.

Disney seem conscious of this in the way they keep mixing up the characters rather than doing a franchise per hero, a format now being emulated by the DC series; sometimes it's a big team up, sometimes just one or two regular characters, and sometimes they put a story in that introduces someone new (like Ant-Man in phase two and the upcoming Doctor Strange in phase three)

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.65 seconds
9,094,737 unique visits since 8th January 2014