Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blake's 7 - a guilty pleasure?
Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Is B7 a bit rubbish? Hell no. Knocks almost every other series, past and present, in a cocked hat.

I'm not sure that the show, or any show really, needs to be "better" than others any more than it's "worse" than others. Many shows have their own fans that enjoy them and appreciate them, and imo that's what is more important than actual superiority.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Is B7 a bit rubbish? Hell no. Knocks almost every other series, past and present, in a cocked hat.

I'm not sure that the show, or any show really, needs to be "better" than others any more than it's "worse" than others. Many shows have their own fans that enjoy them and appreciate them, and imo that's what is more important than actual superiority.

What's interesting is how many new shows were influenced by, or can be compared to B7.

There was an episode of 'South Park' where every new idea someone comes up with, somebody else says, "The Simpsons did it!" Now it seems that when there's a new and popular SF show - Farscape, Firefly, Andromeda - even Lexx - we can all chorus, "B7 did it!"
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

What's interesting is how many new shows were influenced by, or can be compared to B7.

...Now it seems that when there's a new and popular SF show - Farscape, Firefly, Andromeda - even Lexx - we can all chorus, "B7 did it!"

Well, we might if I had ever seen an episode of any of those series! Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

markab2
I do get a tad jittery when I hear the words, "B7 will be remade..."

briggsy1
It probably will happen sooner or later - everyone else from the 70s is being remade atm. Dad's Army, Are You Being Served etc.

Gauda Cheese
I don't believe in guilty pleasures. Why should I feel guilty for liking the things I like?
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

littlesue
briggsy1 wrote:

It probably will happen sooner or later - everyone else from the 70s is being remade atm. Dad's Army, Are You Being Served etc.

And they've even mentioned Hancock's Half Hour!
Are they mad?????
I don't think anyone could do those scripts justice...only the lad himself.
I can still remember how sad I was when I heard the news of his death.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Angry Angel
trevor travis wrote:

"A bit of a guilty pleasure" = actually it's a bit rubbish.

I think "A bit of a guilty pleasure" means "I like it, but I'm overly concerned about what other people think and thus I don't like admitting it."

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Travisina
Angry Angel wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

"A bit of a guilty pleasure" = actually it's a bit rubbish.

I think "A bit of a guilty pleasure" means "I like it, but I'm overly concerned about what other people think and thus I don't like admitting it."

For me it means, "I like it, I don't care what anyone else thinks, but I really should be getting on with some RL work!"

Angry Angel
I don't really get the concept of a guilty pleasure, unless you watch something that you morally disagree with but still enjoy, I guess. But enjoying something that other people think is rubbish, well that's their problem, not mine!

Travisina
Angry Angel wrote:

I don't really get the concept of a guilty pleasure, unless you watch something that you morally disagree with but still enjoy, I guess.

For me, that used to be Top Gear - in the days when it was good and funny. It stood for everything I found reprehensible about blokey-blokes and their cars, but still couldn't help enjoying it.

Angry Angel
Travisina wrote:

Angry Angel wrote:

I don't really get the concept of a guilty pleasure, unless you watch something that you morally disagree with but still enjoy, I guess.

For me, that used to be Top Gear - in the days when it was good and funny. It stood for everything I found reprehensible about blokey-blokes and their cars, but still couldn't help enjoying it.

Ha!

Moon Disk
littlesue wrote:

briggsy1 wrote:

And they've even mentioned Hancock's Half Hour!
Are they mad?????
I don't think anyone could do those scripts justice...only the lad himself.
I can still remember how sad I was when I heard the news of his death.

Didn't Paul Merton film some of the Hancock scripts a while back?

Unfortunately, I can see a B7 remake happening in the future. I mean, whoever thought Dad's Army would be remade? And The Prisoner?

I'm resigned to it happening. Just as long as they never remake Columbo Sad

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm starting to think that a new take on Blake's 7 for television could be quite fun, if it were produced by a UK studio with a background in science fiction and a charismatic cast. Big Finish are proving that the series has narrative mileage, and with a series story arc coupled with more emotional and relationship driven sub-plots it might be an interesting exercise.

Space Chopper
Just so long as they don't let Steven Moffat within 500 miles of any script for it...
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Spaceship Dispatcher
Space Chopper wrote:

Just so long as they don't let Steven Moffat within 500 miles of any script for it...

Adrian Hodges would be my first choice as show runner.

markab2
Keep it cheap. Blakes 7 the pantomine.

The wicked queen Servalan cackles with laughter as a liberator suspended on tight wires comes skirting across the stage.

Moon Disk
Space Chopper wrote:

Amen to that.

Anniew

Come on... Getting inside Avon's mind palace would be fascinating if a tad traumatic and probably unsuitable for a pre watershed audience. And Blake need never die thanks to timey whimey machinations. He and Jenna could roam the Universe together. And given how snarky and effective Avon is with the Horizon spy plants, imagine how he'd be against the Daleks ( I was aiming for its plunger!)
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Mistletoe12
markab2 wrote:

I do get a tad jittery when I hear the words, "B7 will be remade..."

I get more than jittery; I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! Hopefully it won't be remade! I personally thought it a shame to have discussion surrounding a remake at the BFI event in December 2014.

Blake's 7, all four series, is exactly the way I love it - that's what I want to celebrate, alongside the remarkable passion and enthusiam displayed by Big Finish. I don't like all the Chronicles but I will always support all they do for the show. Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.61 seconds
9,497,866 unique visits since 8th January 2014