Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 15

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blake's 7 - a guilty pleasure?
Mistletoe12
I woke ridiculously late today (and don't feel remotely guilty). Switching on the TV around 1pm, I caught a show playing on the channel from the previous evening.

The TV That Made Me (BBC) Hosted by Bradley Walsh. John Hannah featured in today’s episode.

Bradley teased Hannah’s 'Guilty Pleasure' category with a clip from Blue Peter - Lesley Judd showing the teleport bracelet on her wrist. “Blake's 7,” called out John Hannah, which led into the guilty pleasure from his youth.

They showed clips from Cygnus Alpha, discussed the show; Bradley Walsh described B7 as: "One of the most influential sci-fi shows ever". Damn right it is! They talked about Terry Nations other successful shows also, including Survivors and naturally Doctor Who.

It's a shame Hannah considered it a 'guilty pleasure' but having said that, it's good to have some love thrown in Blake's 7 direction.Grin
Edited by Mistletoe12 on 13 March 2016 15:31:41

MLPasterisk
Blake's 7 was featured on BBC1s "TV That Made Me" today.

Clips from Cygnus Alpha.

The host and guest were not complimentary. Sad

briggsy1
I think B7 is one of those marmite things you either love or hate. It's often criticised for it's cheap look but then that's hardly the fault of the production team. Mind you, i never really dwelt on dodgy sets or effects cos I was too engrossed by the clever, witty dialogue and interesting characters.
Edited by briggsy1 on 13 March 2016 17:22:57

markab2
I was in the tearoom at work the other week and people were talking about old TV shows. B7 was mentioned and one reaction was "what that shit!"

I could have crawled under the chair and hid, but instead said, "I loved it, did anybody else?"

Deathly silence.

Anniew
Well for a programme that ended 35 years ago, B7 still inspiring art work, stories, model making, debate. I wonder whether The Mummy will be remembered fondly in 35 years time? Incidentally I've never met an uninteresting B7 fan but I've met some VERY boring people who rubbish the show.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Mistletoe12
MLPasterisk wrote:

Blake's 7 was featured on BBC1s "TV That Made Me" today.

Clips from Cygnus Alpha.

The host and guest were not complimentary. Sad

No, not entirely complimentary. But neither were they rubbishing the show. I thought John Hannah was embarrassed to admit he liked the programme (hence the comments he shared with Walsh). They weren't particularly bad - I've definitely heard worse. On that channel 5 show earlier in the year 'Best of bad 70s TV' or whatever it was called, the comments were rude and predictable. This show today (I felt) showed some respect for Blake's 7 and the comment I cited earlier from Walsh: "One of the most influential sci-fi shows ever". I'll take that as a good thing!

Although it is weird, and frustrating, how many feel the need to pretend they never liked B7. But also I felt Hannah did genuinely watch and enjoy B7 ... he cited it later too, during a discussion about directing.

guiser
markab2 wrote:

I was in the tearoom at work the other week and people were talking about old TV shows. B7 was mentioned and one reaction was "what that shit!"

I could have crawled under the chair and hid, but instead said, "I loved it, did anybody else?"

Deathly silence.

My condolences for having such rubbish workmates Grin However, I'd be a bit leery of contradicting the kind of aggressive killjoy who declares stuff to be "shit". Good for you that you stood up for your tastes.

I strongly suspect that a lot of unimaginative sorts watched B7 in a desultory way, even though they didn't like it, because it was popular with other folks in their household and they couldn't think of anything better to do. On this basis I heavily judge the "haters". I used to go off and read books or listen to the radio when stuff like "Triangle" came on, don't you know. *Sticks nose in the air* Grin

Travisina
The wallpaper on my PC at work is a rather nice pic of the Liberator. My line manager noticed it the other day and said: "That's Star Trek, isn't it?" Oops
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

littlesue
The poor young man from the Sarah Jane Adventures, Danny, was seated next to Mr D's table. Seeing as he was on his lonesome, Silver and I approached and showed him what we had just bought. I showed him my purse with the Libby on it and I think he said Star Trek as well and didn't know what the ship was...until we pointed out that the nice gentleman sitting just along from him, laughing and joking with all those in the queue, would be VERY unhappy to hear that!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Spaceship Dispatcher
littlesue wrote:

The poor young man from the Sarah Jane Adventures, Danny, was seated next to Mr D's table...

Love the Sarah Jane Adventures!

Daniel Anthony is someone that I would definitely like to meet if he were at a convention, but not quite as much as I would like to meet Anjli Mohindra though...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

littlesue
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

littlesue wrote:

The poor young man from the Sarah Jane Adventures, Danny, was seated next to Mr D's table...

Love the Sarah Jane Adventures!

Daniel Anthony is someone that I would definitely like to meet if he were at a convention, but not quite as much as I would like to meet Anjli Mohindra though...

Yes, that's him, Danny Anthony, a very nice young man. He and I had a chat about Grandson playing football and being a bit shy.

Apparently, he used to be very shy as well until his Mum signed him up for a Saturday Workshop of some nature. I presume it was one of these acting things, but it helped Danny a great deal.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

MLPasterisk

No, not entirely complimentary. But neither were they rubbishing the show. I thought John Hannah was embarrassed to admit he liked the programme (hence the comments he shared with Walsh). They weren't particularly bad - I've definitely heard worse. On that channel 5 show earlier in the year 'Best of bad 70s TV' or whatever it was called, the comments were rude and predictable. This show today (I felt) showed some respect for Blake's 7 and the comment I cited earlier from Walsh: "One of the most influential sci-fi shows ever". I'll take that as a good thing!

The studio segements were quite derisive but the voice over was more positive (talking about viewing figures and influence) so I suspect someone on the production team added that bit in the interests of balance.

briggsy1
The Observer tv critic, Clive James, once described the show as "classically awful". I'm not sure if that was meant as a criticism or a back handed compliment? Seems to be almost a contradiction in terms.

markab2
Clive James himself was/is "classically awful". Not sure whether he is still alive? Saying that I thought Nancy Reagan was already dead before they announced it last week, so I'm not up on who's dead or alive.

Joe Dredd
Clive James is still alive, but unfortunately has B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia, emphysema and kidney failure.

rojkerr1
Colin Welland also rubbished Gareth Thomas in a review of Blakes 7, an article headed god save us from these actors...! Charming...

rojkerr1
and Sian Phillips had a go at him too, saying he was compromising his art, or some other such crap

Hugbot
rojkerr1 wrote:

and Sian Phillips had a go at him too, saying he was compromising his art, or some other such crap

Sian Phillips who played a Roman Servalan? Oh, the irony!

Hugbot
But seriously, who cares?
Other people loathe many of the things that I like, while I loathe many of the things that other people like. That's life. I don't let these people influence me, but I do not have to convince them. After all, not liking B7 is their loss. Instead, I look for people who like the same things. That's why we are all here, isn't it?

Besides, there are also people out there who do not hide their affection for B7 (e.g. JMS).

The 18th century author and theatre critic Gottsched wrote devastating reviews about the horrible plays of this horrible playwright William S. who did not observe the hallowed rules of the theatre. When you tried to talk about Gottsched today, anyone except a literature history expert will respond, 'Who?'

trevor travis
"A bit of a guilty pleasure" = actually it's a bit rubbish.

Is B7 a bit rubbish? Hell no. Knocks almost every other series, past and present, in a cocked hat.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.42 seconds
9,885,439 unique visits since 8th January 2014