Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
March 2016 Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
"Beware the ides of March" is the famous quote from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. In the same play is another familiar quote: “Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!” Scholars have interpreted the phrase 'dogs of war' in many ways, but the modern usage holds some particular associations with Blakes7.

So the word prompt for March is ... MERCENARY

A freelance soldier of fortune or someone primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics. Two popular characters spring to mind!

And for the second challenge -

According to various listicles, one of the most commonly used lines of dialogue in the movies is "Let's get out of here!" Can you write a piece of B7 fanfic including the line?
Edited by Travisina on 01 April 2016 21:11:35

Anniew
Great challenges. Just that - a challenge. Will have to apply myself!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

purplecleric
Anniew wrote:

Great challenges. Just that - a challenge. Will have to apply myself!

I aim to please <grin>

I'm glad the challenges are not getting repetitive or boring.

littlesue
Being a bit of a speed reader, I misread.... According to various listicles,...as something completely different!!!!
Anyway...
That's 3 things I have to think about now, picture, word, prompt...and all before I go on me holidays.
Methinks a great deal of walking up and down to the shops will be going on.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
Yay, I think I've finally got a prompt from which I can complete my Zen/Blake story!!

Busy for the first half of the month, so "Slave's Cave" will have to wait a couple of weeks, though!

Hugbot
The Way Out

It was a shambles. Again. And now we are forced to withdraw, running through this maze and trying to find the way out with our enemies at our heels.

Why am I here? Why am I still with these people?

I can’t be on my own. I need people I can rely on. But can I really rely on them?

Blake? He becomes more fanatic with every passing day. First, he tried to enlist the Terra Nostra, and today he cheated and lied to get our support for his mad attack on Control. See where he led us: into an empty room.

Jenna? She still hopes for his love, trying very hard not to see his faults. Cally? What goes on in her Auron mind is beyond me. Avon? I don’t understand his technical wizardry nor his ambitions, and he looks down on me as a menial. Vila? Well, he is the only true friend I have, but he is also in need of other people. Another lost soul marooned in this crazy universe.

What is left for me? They killed my wife. They limited me in more ways than my ‘friends’ can imagine. Where can I go?

I try to hold up the door so that the others may escape. The roof will come down any moment. It doesn’t matter. I am stuck in a mess. ‘Let’s get out of here,’ I say to my soul. One way or another.

Hugbot
And on a lighter note:

We’ll Always Have Exbar

‘Jenna! They are playing our song!’

Jenna could not believe her ears. Was Blake actually turning romantic? Alas, no. The song was the Hymn of the ’48 Zircaster Uprising.

When she turned around, her eyes met those of a dark, debonair stranger in an elegant suit with a cigarette dangling casually from the corner of his mouth. He was small and his face lacked the classic type of male beauty, but what a charisma! ‘Here’s looking at you, kid’, he smiled. Jenna felt her knees tremble. Gosh, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

‘Let’s get out of here’, she whispered, and they withdrew from the party.

Only a few minutes later, he already held her in his arms. ‘I am the king of the world!’ he exclaimed.

When Blake saw them, he was completely shaken, not stirred. ‘Jenna, you're trying to seduce him, aren't you?’

‘Well, nobody is perfect’, she replied, and then she waved mockingly at him and said, ‘Hasta la vista, baby!’

Ellen York
The Way Out is heartbreaking and very believable. I'm glad you also posted We'll Always Have Exbar to lighten the mood. I do enjoy your "clueless Blake".

Lurena
@Hugbot, you're a master in true character short story writing!
I admire that.
Thank you for the necessary balance, the lighter note story set me more thinking than your first one...
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Anniew
Dead on 500words. Woohoo!

"You don't like me very much, do you Blake?"

"Avon is my friend, Grant. I was just protecting him."

" Yes, Avon needs a lot of protecting doesn't he? I don't think so. Your issue with me doesn't have anything to do with Avon."

"So what is my 'issue' with you? "

Grant didn't answer immediately. He refilled his glass and then leant back on the couch.

" You disapprove of me being a mercenary," he accused with a smile.

Blake felt a momentary constriction of his throat. That was his issue with Grant but he was unsure about whether he wished to confront it. Grant would be gone soon. Was there any point? It might lead to bad feeling between them and affect his already fractious relationship with Avon. Yet the rebellion could benefit from the services of such a man. Perhaps it was his duty to see if he could persuade him to commit more wholeheartedly to the cause of freedom.

"I find it...puzzling," he admitted hesitantly. " You have as much reason to hate the Federation as I do. Your sister... Orac has filled me in on what happened."

"Ah...well...I was never, shall we say, a fan, even before what they did to Anna...But she has nothing to do with the discussion we're having. You disapprove that I choose to sell my services, rather than give them freely and think that it makes me less of a revolutionary than you...little better than the party we both oppose...That's it isn't it?"

"Well, I'm not sure I'd put it so bluntly but , yes, I cannot understand how you would hold desperate people to ransom by charging them for your help."

"Tell me Blake, what are you prepared to pay to overthrow the Federation?"

Blake blinked at this change of tack but his response was immediate:

"Everything...My life if necessary. My future."

" The people that I help are not so altruistic. Oh they want freedom alright, but they want someone else to do the dirty bits and take the risks. They can't recruit committed people from their own ranks, so they pay me and my men to fight for them. They'd be very happy to accept my services for free - believe me I've heard all the arguments on that score- but I don't agree with them. I charge for my skills. That way when I win them their freedom, they appreciate it. You want to give it to them on a plate, Blake but you can't give people freedom. Freedom costs. Either in blood or money. If you're not prepared to pay one way or the other, how can you ever be free?"

They were never going to agree. They could both see that. But long after Grant had left the Liberator, Blake found himself thinking uncomfortably of the last question Grant had thrown at him:

"I demanded money to free Albion. You demanded your followers risk their lives. Which of us is the more mercenary, Blake?"
Edited by Anniew on 05 March 2016 20:08:31

Ellen York
That is an interesting argument about the price of freedom. You have given me something to think about this morning.

littlesue
@Hugbot.
A really nice couple of stories there. Poor Gan..
..and then Humphrey Bogart, especially as Mr D is a great fan of his!!!

@Anniew
Very thought provoking
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Angry Angel
I must say this is the first chance I've had to check in with the fanfic challenge, and it's excellent!

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Anniew
"Surely you can remember something about where you left it, Avon?"

"No I can't Blake. I haven't the faintest recollection. You were the one who demanded we bring a shuttle down because the teleport was cutting out. "Get over to Space Kwiki Mart, pronto," was I believe your exact expression. I hardly had time to..."

" Surely one of you took note of the level at least?"

"We were too busy running. Really shook my liver that did, the running. I'm not cut out for speed."

"Or anything else for that matter. You see what I was up against Blake... Between Vila's moaning and Gan's inability to work out which direction we had to take I hardly had time..."

"Enough, Avon. I'm not interested in which of you was to blame. We are fifty spacials from a Federation check point. We have three boxes of fish. Each fish conceals a small but powerful bomb which I have agreed to transport to the rebels in Denuvia. The fish are going to decompose rapidly unless we can get them into the Liberator's cryogenic chamber ..."

"Pronto..?"

"Yes, thank you Vila, I was going to say immediately but..."

"Pronto means immediately doesn't it Blake?"

"It does Gan, yes, thank you but...Avon if you'd stop sulking for a moment and put your much vaunted brain to solving this problem...Avon...Where are you going now?"

"I'm looking for the information desk Blake. There must be better job opportunities that my present role as the Liberator whipping boy...

" You wish..." Vila muttered, causing Gan to giggle helplessly. Blake managed to look irritated and bemused at the same time which was no mean feat while Avon blushed a delicate shade of salmon. Fortunately his bracelet chimed at that moment distracting him and Jenna's practical voice announced,

"I've found it.... It's going to take me a while to back the thing out. That's the worst bit of parking...Hey...look where you're going you idiot..."

Half a very fraught hour later, they were relieved to see Jenna steering the shuttle, towards them.

"What the hell, Jenna! " Blake exclaimed, viewing the dent in the side.

"Not my fault, Blake, that shuttle was abandoned not parked. It's a miracle I got it out at all..."

"Blake," Avon interrupted urgently. "The guard over there seems to be taking an interest in us. Let's get out of here."

After the excitement of a docking made trickier by the fact that the shuttle's left thruster was slightly damaged and a breathless chase involving three Federation pursuit ships and a daring sling shot manoeuvre around the planet, it was perhaps inevitable that they discovered that Gan had loaded the wrong crates.

The mission wasn't a complete failure, however. Cally, at least, had something to be glad about, rotting fish being the main ingredient of Tophew, an Auron delicacy.

Blake ignored Avon's suggestion that the Denuvian rebels might have more success hurling Tophew at their oppressors than the bombs they had been expecting.

Hugbot
@Anniew: Your mercenary story offers much food for thought. The worst characters in history were mostly not those who killed for personal gain but those who fought for some 'ideal'. Very remarkable reasoning; much appreciated! And the hilarious parking lot story was just the right thing to cheer me up after an exhausting day. Reminds a bit of a story that a friend of mine told about his army years, when during a manoeuvre some guys camouflaged their tank so perfectly that later on, they needed a metal detector to find it. (However, I think it was just a tall story.)

@AngryAngel: This means that you now have a whole year's worth of hilarious, heartbreaking, grim, poetic and simply brilliant ficlets to read. Enjoy!

Anniew
Awwe thanks everyone. Both stories were prompted by real life discussions/experiences. The 'funny one' was prompted by an afternoon in a huge car park where one of our group got lost!!! Incidentally I'm glad you found it funny Hugbot. I had my doubts. And by the way I loved both your stories - as usual. Lurena summed up their appeal beautifully. Xxx

Hugbot
Squirt Gun Mercenary

The face in the mirror was as white as chalk, its right half grinning, the left one crying. It was a face adored by billions, the face of El Mercenario. Granted, this was an unusual stage name for a clown, but the people loved his show nonetheless.

As he slowly removed the make-up, his real face surfaced. Few people knew it, and even fewer knew his real name. Deva Stannis-Grant. People would say that this was a famous name, even a great name, but for him it was a burden; a burden that he never wanted to shoulder.

A knock at the door of this dressing room interrupted his thought. Angrily, he swirled around on his chair, but of course he had to be friendly to his fans. He put up a well rehearsed smile and answered, ‘Yes!’

His smile froze when he recognised the man who entered the room. He sported a beard now and what was left of his hair was greying, but there was still this somewhat boyish smile on his face.

‘Hello, Dad.’

‘Hello, Deva.’ Del Grant gazed at the cramped room as if he could not believe that his and Jenna’s son lived in such a squalid environment. Then he pointed towards a frail old chair. ‘May I - ?’ he asked.

‘Suit yourself’, Deva answered, ‘although I don’t see the point in your visit. I know what you are going to say. I am a disgrace to our family. I am a big disappointment. I am not worthy of being the son of the man who liberated Earth and of the woman who served her terms as the first freely elected president. While you gave the people freedom, I only make them laugh. I do not honour your noble deeds but instead mock your past with my Mercenario routine. Nothing that I do has any political relevance, instead I simply amuse the people and take their minds off the important things. I don’t make a difference, while you and Mum have changed the world. - You don’t have to tell me this. I already know the sermon.’

Grant smiled. ‘Well, that is exactly what I was not going to say. It is true, at first I was very disappointed at your choice of career. However, I was in the audience today, and I realised what you are really doing. Tearing down an empire is one thing, but healing the wounds, building up a new society and making life worthwhile again for the people is a completely different kettle of fish. That is something that your mother and I could never have achieved; not with our skill sets.’ He got up on his feet again, ready to leave. After all, they had not talked to each other for years, and this was neither the time nor the place for a reunion. But when he reached the door, he turned around again and said, ‘We are very proud of you, Deva.’

JustBrad
Huggy, why do I get the feeling that Jenna was cheating on Del Grant with Vila?

Ellen York
Annie, your parking lot story is truly funny. The idea of a "Space Kwiki Mart" makes me giggle. And misplacing the car in a large parking lot is something most people can relate to. One one memorable occasion, I hunted all over for the wrong car (I had traded cars with my father that day) and was very close to reporting it stolen before I realized my mistake.

BradPaula
Excellent stories so far, gang. Hugbot- you are amazing!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.66 seconds
9,091,117 unique visits since 8th January 2014