Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
the B7 logo is the Federation logo!!
Travisina
President Solvite wrote:
However Anderson's initial effort with UFO, looks naff, but actually has very dark and gritty storylines within it..

I thought it looked great! Apart from the incredibly inefficient Interceptors (One shot? Just one? Seriously? So if I miss, the alien gets through?), I loved the look - purple wigs, string vests, the lot.

Some of the stories were very dark and adult (by which I mean adult themes, not ... ahem... you know) - special mentions to 'Confetti Check A-OK' (disintegration of Straker's marriage), 'A Question of Priorities' (Straker has to choose between saving the Earth from aliens or saving his son), 'Sub Smash' (claustrophobic submarine drama), 'Survival' - (Foster and Alien, alone on the moon - storyline then reused in TNG episode 'The Enemy' ).

I still prefer UFO to Space 1999.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

President Solvite
The Fly, involved a teleportation project didn't it...?

And of course that dates from at least 58, to suggest Trek, Nation or indeed any series had original concepts or ideas is ludicrous.

Personally I preferred the 50's version of the Fly to Cronenberg's version which in my opinion looked a bit naff.

I agree about the seemingly pointless nature of the One shot UFO interceptors... I suspect they are a bit of a rush job focusing on speed rather than longevity for sustained combat and I suspect a MK II interceptor was in the works with some sort of 'CIWS' or similar instead of that clunky 'dumb fire' missile.. I always wondered why the aliens just didn't attack en-masse and overwhelm Earths seemingly rather limited defences. (Mind you we can level the same accusation at Spectra and its simple wave of singular attacks on G Force in Battle of the Planets)

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Lurena
Hugbot wrote:

@Lurena: Good to see that there is at least one other member here who knows Raumpatrouille! When I watched it for the first time, I was 10 or 11 years old, and the Frogs frightened the hell out of me. And they are still very creepy and the most convincing aliens Ive ever seen on TV.
Indeed they are! They were so well created considering the show had a very, very low budget. Remember all the household stuff in the sets? The iron in the dashboard and mugs in the ceiling...
The drama and acting had to turn it all into believable futuristic stuff.
Blake's 7 offered me the same treat (spoons on Vila's costume, cutlery trays on the wall etc) and I instantly loved the series!

I always wonder how our Avon ladies might respond to Commander McLane ... could he ever endanger your affection for Avon? Pfft
I was still too innocent to look at Commander McLane that way, but I think he would not stand much of a chance!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
President Solvite wrote:

Yes it did and the scene was crucial plot wise.
Teleportation is considered by many readers to be mentioned the first time (around 1895) by a certain Charles Hoyt Fort (1874-1932) who wrote about so called "anomalous phenomena". His ideas often inspired many SF writers.

Joe Dredd
That might have been it, I had a vague memory of the 1880s or 1890s.

Even earlier we have Philip miraculously transported in the book of Acts (8:39. 40): "When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, but went on his way rejoicing. But Philip found himself at Azotus, and as he passed through he kept preaching the gospel to all the cities until he came to Caesarea." [emphasis added]

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:
I had a vague memory of the 1880s or 1890s.

Wow, you're older than I thought! Unless... Doctor? Is that you?

Spaceship Dispatcher
I know this is drifting off topic, but there is a very important real world analogy in the 'one shot' interceptors that is often overlooked now but was actually a nice touch of realism at the time:

Britain's own first (and, in any practical way, only) line of defence against nuclear bomb bearing Russian planes appearing over the North Sea was squadrons on English Electric Lightning jet interceptors, waiting in Quick Response Hangers with crews suited up as in UFO and ready to climb in and launch within seconds if needed; but the significant detail is how many missiles Lightnings were fitted with as, again the same as their fictional alien attacking counterparts, each plane only carried one missile each. If more Bears than Lightnings turned up for the fight, then plan B was ramming them out of the sky.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Ah found it:

https://books.goo...mp;f=false

I note how the author of the book refers to the Star Trek transporter, but nothing before, as if Star Trek somehow had the original idea, when it had appeared in plenty of other fiction by then.

And as throughout the rest of this tedious volume, B7 is compared to Trek and Space 1999, when surely to goodness, the author should be looking more at DW comparisons, given the background of much of the B7 production team.

Incidentally, Doctor Who: Keys Of Marinus (1964) and B7 (1978) both share teleport by bracelet. Is this Terry's little idiosyncrasy, or were teleport bracelets used in wider sci-fi fiction as well?
Edited by trevor travis on 21 February 2016 08:52:35

dragonq
President Solvite wrote:

And of course that dates from at least 58, to suggest Trek, Nation or indeed any series had original concepts or ideas is ludicrous.

)

The Fly was originally a short story, which I just looked up and found dates to 1957. I've read it, many years ago, and it's quite scary. Never seen either of the films. According to Wikipaedia, the first reference to a teleportation device was in 1877, which rather amazed me. It really is a well-worn conceit.

Hugbot
So, transporters were commonplace many years before Star Trek.
But of course the lean, rational, extraterrestrial science officer with the pointy ears, the peculiarly precise manner of speech and the one-syllable name starting with S was an invention of Star Trek.

Wrong.
He already appeared on screen in 1962 in the British sci-fi show Space Patrol. His name was Slim.

President Solvite
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I know this is drifting off topic, but there is a very important real world analogy in the 'one shot' interceptors that is often overlooked now but was actually a nice touch of realism at the time:

Britain's own first (and, in any practical way, only) line of defence against nuclear bomb bearing Russian planes appearing over the North Sea was squadrons on English Electric Lightning jet interceptors, waiting in Quick Response Hangers with crews suited up as in UFO and ready to climb in and launch within seconds if needed; but the significant detail is how many missiles Lightnings were fitted with as, again the same as their fictional alien attacking counterparts, each plane only carried one missile each. If more Bears than Lightnings turned up for the fight, then plan B was ramming them out of the sky.

Hmm interesting and quite plausible but according to Wiki most fighter configurations seemed to be 2 missiles plus an Aden Cannon which was swapped out for fuel tanks depending on the mission configuration I guess. I doubt they would sacrifice missiles for range for intercept duties.. Unless your source was saying that the missiles were in short supply at the time (possible I suppose in austere post war Britain) Not disagreeing but it seems a strange tactic and alternate sources disputing your figures SD. The Tornado F3 was introduced to provide a heavier weapons load but I always thought the interceptors carried more than a single (Fire Streak missile) apart from a short time maybe around the time the F3 was introduced. There was a constant battle on giving it more range (but I think that was for elsewhere rather than homeland defence)

Bears are relatively slow lumbering noisy aircraft... I would have thought the faster Badgers and Backfires more of a threat. Although with range issues perhaps not.. Interesting facts I have found out with Lightnings... They were credited a single kill in 1972, shooting down of a pilotless Harrier (to avoid a diplomatic incident) and the Lighting beat much more modern aircraft Like F15 Eagles, F14 Tomcats and F16 in Nato/BA test trials when various planes where tasked to intercept a Concorde on maximum speed.. Only the Lighting managed the interception not bad for an aging plane mind you it was a plane optimised for speed and altitude... An incredible aircraft nevertheless Smile

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Travisina
Hugbot wrote:
He already appeared on screen in 1962 in the British sci-fi show Space Patrol. His name was Slim.

Yay, somebody else who knows Space Patrol! My earliest TV SF memory!
The interplanetary crew of the Galasphere 347 were Earth Captain Dart, Venusian Slim and Martian Husky.
"Gamma rays, on. Yabba Rays on. All in order, Captain."

Lurena
Travisina wrote:

Hugbot wrote:

Yay, somebody else who knows Space Patrol! My earliest TV SF memory!
The interplanetary crew of the Galasphere 347 were Earth Captain Dart, Venusian Slim and Martian Husky.
"Gamma rays, on. Yabba Rays on. All in order, Captain."

I love the art of puppet theatre!
Did you know it is on Youtube and released on DVD?

trevor travis
Lurena wrote:
I love the art of puppet theatre!
Did you know it is on Youtube and released on DVD?

Well, the acting is less wooden than that of William Shatner Wink

Hugbot
Travisina wrote:

Yay, somebody else who knows Space Patrol!

I had never heard of the series until you recommended it on the 'What are you watching' thread. Thank you for doing that! A couple of months ago, I watched the whole lot, and I loved it! It is surprisingly mature for a kid show. You could easily turn it into a live-action series for adults. Actually, it has been done: two episodes have been remade as major Hollywood blockbusters, The Wandering Asteroid as Armageddon and The Talking Bell as E.T. (complete with healing light finger).

And don't call me Pop!
Edited by Hugbot on 22 February 2016 07:42:40

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Yay, somebody else who knows Space Patrol!

It is surprisingly mature for a kid show.

It is - the language is quite grown up (with words such as 'alacrity' ) and it has some proper SF concepts, such as going into cryogenic suspension for long space journeys, the creature that teleports ("I'll be with you... now!" ) and the way the Galasphere becomes invisible when travelling at FTL speed.

The only thing that slightly irks me is the patronising attitude towards women (the Professor and the Commander always reacting with faint surprise that their daughter / secretary is capable of any intelligent thought) - but the upshot was that as a child my ambition was to become an astronaut, not a secretary!

@Lurena - yes, I have the DVDs and occasionally treat myself to an episode on YouTube when I'm feeling in the mood.

littlesue
This is very strange...I have no recollection what so ever of this Space Patrol. Although I do recall Torchy and Twizzle also by Roberta Leigh.
I can only imagine that we were glued to something else while this show was being shown.
Hmm, at least this narrows down the year to our TV turning up...1963. I had thought it was June..it was definetly before Nov 22nd as that incident in Dallas pre-empted us watching a certain new BBC show.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
@Littlesue - I think Space Patrol's broadcasts varied around the different ITV regions. I know I saw it at home (London) and at my grandparents in Brighton (Southern). Maybe it didn't reach your area?

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

@Littlesue - I think Space Patrol's broadcasts varied around the different ITV regions. I know I saw it at home (London) and at my grandparents in Brighton (Southern). Maybe it didn't reach your area?

We were in the Southern TV area. Cue Freewheelers Music!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
littlesue wrote:

Travisina wrote:

We were in the Southern TV area. Cue Freewheelers Music!!!!

Oh, I remember that, too! Actually, I remember almost nothing about the series, but have never forgotten the theme tune. Freewheelers

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.46 seconds
9,840,057 unique visits since 8th January 2014