Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 1
Rainesz

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
the B7 logo is the Federation logo!!
Grade Four Ignorant
trevor travis wrote:

It was intentional. Terry Nation had input into the opening sequence. His original idea is in the first draft script of the opening episode (a computer spewing out the images of the crew), while I think the eventual sequence came about after discussion with David Maloney and the graphic designers.

Yeah, from what I remember the photographs of the crew would land in a folder marked 'Enemies of the State'.

Someone did an interpreation of that idea for a potential fifth series (based on a fan comic strip where Avon is liberated from a Federation prison by a new rebel group).

littlesue
Richard Matheson can hardly be regarded as a bad writer, neither can Theodore Sturgeon, DC Fontana, Norman Spinrad, Robett Bloch, Harlan Ellison, Jerome Bixby, David Gerrold.
Some of these guys were the most noted Sci fi Writers of the 60s.
Reading David Gerrold's account of how the Trouble With Tribbles came into production is a masterpiece of how TV series were written back then...even Bill Shakespeare would have had trouble it seems.
The dreaded censors sending back your script; the rewrites (Theodore Sturgeon sat beneath a tree on location of 'Shore Leave' redoing the script).
I absolutely adore 'The Doomsday Machine'. Everything comes together in that episode, the acting, the music.
But there are, as some say, some really dire episodes. Spock's Brain being a contender for the worst one ever.
I was a fan of Star Trek until the awful Motion Picture came out...and that did it for me.
As for St:TNG.?
I'm afraid I sat down to watch the first episode and it left me cold. I found the stories....well nothing happened in them, so it seemed.
And I am not a fan of Mr Stewart's acting style either.
But I have to admit, that I also find it difficult to watch ST:TOS now. Maybe it's because I've been watching B7 for so long.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

rojkerr1
I still love the original Star trek series, and Wrath of Khan is one of my fave movies. As to the logo, watch Death to the Daleks, the Dr saves the federation...

GoldChannel
oh, almost forgot to add, the Terran Federation logo was also in Dr Who, 'Death to the Daleks'.... by Terry Nation!! (it was on the Space Marines uniforms, at i think the same angle//?)

maybe Terry saw the designs and liked them enough to specify them for B7?

President Solvite
Comparing Trek to Blake's 7 is like comparing a Good UK Curry to a Paella.. I.e. they can share certain ingredients.

They are both food and you can like both at certain times.. Of course some people hate Paella and foreign food or aren't much of a Gourmet... Well its their loss! If a Burger and Chips is there only 'good food' well fair play to them, but I'll choose to eat elsewhere... Personally I like to explore the full range of options and authors... DC Fontana etc.. are hardly poor writers and indeed some of their efforts on Trek are excellent.

Yes Spock's Brain is a bit of a duffer, heck but in the right light it can be fun.. As can the atrocious DW Horns of Nimon episode at times...

Of course Trek owes a lot of concepts to an earlier series including Voyage to the bottom of the sea... which in turn borrows from other sources.. TN with all due respect is just one of many talented creators.. I can love what he does and compare with others including Trek (and its not a lazy analogy, despite what a few here may think) without diluting the value or worth of either his or indeed other contributions to sci fi or fantasy.

Even a 'Kebab' of a show Buck Rogers in the 25th Century as a few moments and the odd episode that is worthy of a look. Especially Wilma! Grin Because even that dish done correctly and decent ingredients and at the correct time is a worthy 'gastronomic' experience.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
dragonq
littlesue wrote:

I was a fan of Star Trek until the awful Motion Picture came out...and that did it for me.
As for St:TNG.?
I'm afraid I sat down to watch the first episode and it left me cold. I found the stories....well nothing happened in them, so it seemed.
And I am not a fan of Mr Stewart's acting style either.
But I have to admit, that I also find it difficult to watch ST:TOS now. Maybe it's because I've been watching B7 for so long.

Encounter at Farpoint, the first episode of The Next Generation is, in my opinion, unwatchable. So is most of the first series. The show doesn't really hit its stride until about the third or fourth season. I had long given up on it, then watched Yesterday's Enterprise at a convention and was persuaded to give it another go.

I'm not fussed on TOS. There are good episodes but a lot of indifferent and dreadful ones.

President Solvite
TNG's best at around series 3 (ish) then goes into a decline again..

I think the focus in the later series was more to DS9 which in turn is a rip off (if you believe some sources) of the much more superior Babylon 5.. (which in turn has some nods to Blake's 7) Not surprising really since JMS is/was a B7 fan don't think he's as hard core to dwell here though! Smile But if you are lurking... *waves*

Hugbot
The discussion about which TV show stole an idea from another one is mostly futile, as they all drew heavily on written sci-fi stories. Teleport systems were a common staple of sci-fi literature a long time before Star Trek used the transporter (which incidentally looks suspiciously similar to the deceleration tubes in Forbidden Planet); and when the first Borg cube appeared on screen, ten thousands of Perry Rhodan fans in Germany went, ‘Oh! Posbi!’ - the Posbis not only using similar contraptions but being bio-positronic robots into the bargain ...

As for the Federation logo, it already appeared on 19th March 1960, when the Eagle fired Frank Hampson, the original creator of Dan Dare, and revamped the look of the series:

i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/ridshenon/MadSad/DareLogo_zpshf6wj5or.jpg

I never took the Trek Federation insignia turned around at 90° as blatant plagiarism but as a satirical dig at the all too Utopian backdrop of Star Trek ... a bit like the B5 episode Voices of Authority where a political officer comes aboard Babylon 5 and depicts the Earth dictatorship as a very Roddenberryan earthly paradise (‘And when exactly did all this happen?’ - ‘When we rewrote the dictionary.’). Or like Ivanova’s remark, ‘This station is about something! This is not just another deep space franchise!’ Ouch!

@Lurena: Good to see that there is at least one other member here who knows Raumpatrouille! When I watched it for the first time, I was 10 or 11 years old, and the Frogs frightened the hell out of me. And they are still very creepy and the most convincing aliens I’ve ever seen on TV. I always wonder how our Avon ladies might respond to Commander McLane ... could he ever endanger your affection for Avon? Pfft

trevor travis
Hi all, thanks for all the evidence that TV Science Fiction certainly didn't all start with Star Trek!

I think my initial comments were mostly aimed at the hardback critical guide, where the writer was an American Star Trek fan. I think it was published in around 2000? I can't find my copy right now.

In that, it seems every single thing that happened in B7 was because of Star Trek. That guide really got on my nerves Wink

Liberation (even with its strange Gan theories) was a 100% improvement.

trevor travis
President Solvite wrote:Even a 'Kebab' of a show Buck Rogers in the 25th Century as a few moments and the odd episode that is worthy of a look. Especially Wilma! Grin Because even that dish done correctly and decent ingredients and at the correct time is a worthy 'gastronomic' experience.

Season One of BR25C was far superior to anything offered by original Star Trek. Obvously there is the Wilma hubba-hubba factor, but there's some really good storytelling too.

Ironically Buck Rogers fell to pieces when they aped Star Trek in the season season.

Angry Angel
Hugbot wrote:

@Lurena: Good to see that there is at least one other member here who knows Raumpatrouille! When I watched it for the first time, I was 10 or 11 years old, and the Frogs frightened the hell out of me. And they are still very creepy and the most convincing aliens I’ve ever seen on TV. I always wonder how our Avon ladies might respond to Commander McLane ... could he ever endanger your affection for Avon? Pfft

I'd love to see this, but I'm not sure if it's available with English subtitles.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
rojkerr1
is there an echo in here Goldchannel? Did anyone notice Servalans federation logo on the Logic of Empire cover...? bang goes the planet..

Hugbot
Angry Angel wrote:

I'd love to see this, but I'm not sure if it's available with English subtitles.

Unfortunately, it isn’t. There are some very amateurish attempts at adding subtitles to the episodes on YouTube but they are at best ridiculous if not outright unintelligible. The compilation movie they made in 2003 comes with professional subtitles but it is best to avoid this abomination. It is made of scenes from several episodes plus some new footage of a newscaster who bridges the gaps in the narrative (complete with silly fake commercials).

I don’t want to derail this thread but you can find a little introduction (by a British guy living in Germany) including an interesting comparison of RP and Star Trek here: https://www.youtu...zKyl223bMg.

GoldChannel
TrevorTravis: i'm sure I remember someone of this parish reviewing that critical guide, and noticing that every other paragraph said B7 didn't stand up to Space 1999. So he read a guide on Space 1999 by the same author and in that one he said Space 1999 doesn't stand up to Star Trek!!! lol
Edited by GoldChannel on 20 February 2016 20:49:31

President Solvite
trevor travis wrote:

President Solvite wrote:Even a 'Kebab' of a show Buck Rogers in the 25th Century as a few moments and the odd episode that is worthy of a look. Especially Wilma! Grin Because even that dish done correctly and decent ingredients and at the correct time is a worthy 'gastronomic' experience.

Season One of BR25C was far superior to anything offered by original Star Trek. Obvously there is the Wilma hubba-hubba factor, but there's some really good storytelling too.

Ironically Buck Rogers fell to pieces when they aped Star Trek in the season season.

Not much though , to be fair it did what it said on the tin, BRit25C was the cheaper replacement for the more expensive and expansive original BSG and it shows PARTICULARLY now in the era of DVD but even dim and distant memories cannot mask the painful scenes, naff dialogue and poor sets (lot of them reused from Galactica)... Gil can perform though in one episode where he was accused of starting the war, and in the unrealised pilot for a recent remake effort (that would have included him and Erin Gray) But its like I said a decent Kebab could in theory beat a mediocre curry or Paella... But generally speaking and in terms of output volume it falls flat.

Its a shame because other efforts look far more worthy of repeats (or even first showings) on Scifi or wherever than the aforementioned series

President Solvite
Funny Space 1999 looked good but fell flat in many of its stories (particularly in the second season) However Anderson's initial effort with UFO, looks naff, but actually has very dark and gritty storylines within it..

Its funny but generally speaking stuff I enjoyed as a kids looks now awful and stuff I dismissed as boring or dull or unmemorable is better watching now.. A few early TB episodes excepted

Spaceship Dispatcher
Well I love watching Buck Rogers, and not just for the eye candy either. It has engaging characters that I care about in both the regular and guest cast, plots that work equally as well as those in any other space fantasy, comedy that makes me smile, tons of intentional homage to others shows and genres such as the great comic book superhero two-parter, eye catching sets and costumes (again that applies to all and not just Wilma) , and in s1 one of my favourite series finales from any show!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm also a keen fan of Space:1999 series one, largely due to the ingenious and often emotive storytelling with a stunning twist near the end of most episodes. But it's also another show where I find the regular and guest characters both engaging and for the most part likable, and that's the key starting point for any play whether it be on stage or screen.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Joe Dredd
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
The logo is identical to the Star Trek logo but, as Travisina says, at a different angle; that to me seems like a very clever marketing ploy rather than ignorant plagiarism.

Without denying the similarity, would the BBC of the late 70s really be allowed to consciously reference the design like that? Are there any similar 'homages' in the design of any other show to the elements of another?

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:

TN didn’t steal the idea of the teleport/transporter, because there are Travel Dials in Nation’s Doctor Who story, The Keys Of Marinus (1964), which pre-dated Star Trek.

According to OED, the word 'teleport' was first coined in the 1950s, as a backformation from 'teleportation', which is from the 1930s. And I'm sure I've read - though I can't find any reference to it now - that the concept was used before then by someone like H G Wells or Jules Verne.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,881,081 unique visits since 8th January 2014