Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
February 2016 Fanfic Challenge
JustBrad
Who says Grant isn't a romantic? For Valentine's Day he gave Jenna the heart of The Federation. Well done, Huggy.
Edited by JustBrad on 14 February 2016 16:07:53

meegat39
I've just been catching up on this thread and all of the contributions have been wonderful. I just read your story, Paula, which was great, but somehow I couldn't get Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire out of my head, so I decided to post the lyrics

Love is a burnin' thing
And it makes a fiery ring
Bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire

I fell into a burnin' ring of fire
I went down, down, down
And the flames went higher
And it burns, burns, burns
The ring of fire, the ring of fire

I went down, down, down

The taste of love is sweet
When hearts like ours meet
I fell for you like a child
Oh, but the fire went wild

I went down, down, down

and the music:

https://www.youtu...t7107ELQvY

Enjoy!!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Mistletoe12
meegat39 wrote:

I've just been catching up on this thread and all of the contributions have been wonderful. I just read your story, Paula, which was great, but somehow I couldn't get Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire out of my head, so I decided to post the lyrics

(snip)

And now I'm singing it! Thanks Meegat GrinGrin
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 14 February 2016 18:22:25

trevor travis
Love is a burnin' thing
Shot by Blake and Avon
I fell into the nuclear reactor

I fell into the Star One nuclear reactor
I went down, down, down
And my voice went higher
My pants on fire, my pants on fire

I fell like a lead weight
No wonder I'm left with this gait

I went down, down, down
And my voice went higher

I went down, down, down
And my voice went higher
Edited by trevor travis on 14 February 2016 20:26:45

Anniew
Delicately put TT
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Delicately put TT

Must be the company I keep Wink

JustBrad
The claxon blared. Federation troopers stood with their weapons ready. Resigned to his fate, Avon bore a grim, ironic smile as he readied his blaster.

“I wonder if I might have a word?” A gaunt man with graying reddish hair limped into the control room.

The man looked looked to the bodies on the floor. “You couldn't take them alive?”

One trooper pointed to the body of Vila Restal. “That one attacked Colonel Arlen. You know our unwritten rules, sir, our own come first.”

The man replied, “I know our unwritten rules. I wrote them.”

The trooper pointed to Avon. “He shot Blake, sir.”

The man looked to the bloody body. “Blake wasn't one of our own.” He raised his dark eyes to Avon. “I wonder if you would like to be one of our own.”

Avon kept his gun at the ready. “I doubt it. Who are you?”

“My name, which will mean nothing to you, is Dev Tarrant.”

Avon shifted his gun towards the man. As he did so, troopers drew careful aim. “Blake told me about you. You work for Central Security.”

Dev Tarrant offered a shrug. “It is more accurate to say that I am Central Security. Would you like to hear my proposition? I'll take your silence for consent. As a rebel leader, is there any argument on that point?” Dev Tarrant paused, “Again, I'll take silence for consent. As a rebel leader you no doubt consider the Federation corrupt and oppressive. It is, but more importantly, it works. The masses are fed, the shuttles run on time, and everyone who obeys the law lives comfortably.”

Avon replied, “You're as delusional as Blake.”

Dev Tarrant nodded. “My vision of the Federation is decades old. The corruption has spread too far. The house needs to be put back in order. Blake was a danger because he wanted Chaos, but that is not to say everyone who works for the Federation wants order. I would see the Federation become what it was...”

Avon interrupted, “Oppressive, Corrupt?”

Dev Tarrant replied, “Effective, and benign to it's law abiding citizens.”

Avon sneered, “So why don't you?”

“One person stands in my way. She gathers power, she prepares another coup, and if she succeeds, the Federation will cease to function as anything but a ruthless dictatorship, a plaything for once and future President Servalan. Will you help me prevent that? Will you help me bring Servalan down?”

Dev Tarrant offered a sigh. “This time I must take your silence as a negative response. A pity as only two kinds of people will leave this room: Dead heroes and live pragmatists. Dead heroes achieve nothing, live pragmatists can make things work.” A thin smile came to Dev Tarrant's face. “And get rich in the process. Will you help me make things work, will you help me stop Servalan, and will you get rich doing so?”

Avon slowly lowered his gun.

Dev Tarrrant smiled. “Good, the Federation needs Pragmatists. There are so few. Even fewer heroes. I wonder where they've all gone?”

Avon cast his eyes to the bodies on the floor. “You could be looking at them.”

BradPaula
Wonderful stories so far people. Special praise to Hugbot for his contribution! Excellent.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Anniew
Brad I like your Dev Tarrant story. Would have made a good story arc for season 5. The Hunt for Sleeravan. Killing punchline!

meegat39
trevor travis wrote:

Love is a burnin' thing
Shot by Blake and Avon
I fell into the nuclear reactor

I went down, down, down
And my voice went higher

I fell like a lead weight
No wonder I'm left with this gait

I went down, down, down
And my voice went higher

I went down, down, down
And my voice went higher

Thanks TT, you put into words what I should have done!! But probably better Grin

meegat39
Brad that is a very clever and apt story, as always you got Avon just right...

Spaceship Dispatcher
If anyone wishes to post further comments on Valentine's Day fanfic, please feel free to post them here and they can be moved to the other thread by the site staff.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
meegat39 wrote:
Thanks TT, you put into words what I should have done!! But probably better Grin

Meegat, thanks for posting the original song. As soon as you posted it, I thought of Travis's fall in Star One Grin

meegat39
trevor travis wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Meegat, thanks for posting the original song. As soon as you posted it, I thought of Travis's fall in Star One Grin

You're welcome. I aim to please. Wink

Travisina
Heroes

Entering the Baree's crowded dining area, Travis was annoyed to see that his usual place had been taken. He liked the corner table where he could sit with his back against the wall, watching the other passengers. He was unlikely to encounter any Federation personnel on this unprepossessing ship; those taking advantage of the cheap fares were mostly labour grades. But Travis' distinctive looks drew attention and he preferred to avoid the curious stares and muttered comments. 

He threaded his way across the room. The scruffy, weary-looking man who had usurped his place was holding a bottle, staring unseeing into it. 

"This is my table," Travis said with quiet menace. 

The man glanced up. "Can't see your name on it, son," he replied. Then he focussed on Travis' eyepatch and gloved hand, and Travis saw recognition dawn – the old drunk knew who he was. 

"Maryatt's work," the man pronounced. "One of my students at Federation Medical School. He's a good doctor."

"Was. He's dead."

"I'm sorry to hear that. These are cruel times, Space Commander Travis."

"Former Space Commander. And don't use my name, I'm travelling incognito."

"Likewise. I go by the name of Kline, here. We're a fine pair, aren't we? You're half blind, and I want to get blind drunk." He raised the bottle. "Join me?" 

Before Travis could reply, the ship lurched and its gravity generator failed. Passengers, food and furniture briefly floated weightless, then crashed back down as the compensators kicked in. There were shouts and curses; food rained, men collided and started to fight.

Kline gave up trying to locate his bottle amongst the debris. "Let's go, there's another exit just here."

"I know. I told you, this is my table."

They slipped away from the chaos of the dining area into a smoke-filled corridor. Workers ran towards them, gesticulating toward a hatch. "Secondary burner's blown – the maintenance crew's still in there!" 

The doctor was now alert, shouldering others aside as he wrestled the door open and disappeared inside. He emerged moments later carrying an unconscious form, bent over it briefly, shook his head and dived back in.

Stupid old fool, thought Travis. He looked cautiously inside and found himself staring into a circle of Hell. Human figures screamed and writhed as the burner belched flames and clouds of sulphurous gas. Kline was moving among the dead and injured, briskly at first, but then he slowed, staggered and fell. When he didn't get up, Travis reacted instinctively. Wrapping his cloak around his nose and mouth, he leapt through the blazing hatchway... 

"... it was you who dragged him out." 

The heat, the screams, the stink of sulphur and burning flesh faded as Chenie's voice brought Travis back to the present; the bar on Freedom City. He thought of Blake, hero of the rebellion, who had left one of his companions behind to die. I didn't do that. I'm the better man.

He looked at Chenie. "Oh, yes," he said. "I'm a hero, too."

Edited by Travisina on 25 February 2016 23:01:25
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Lurena
Thank you Travisina for the wonderful view into Travis' mind and reasoning.
I often wondered about the connotation of his "Oh, yes, I'm a hero, too."

@Meegat, oh thank you for posting that song. It suits!
@TT is your nice version proof of Travis still being alive?

@Brad, your Dev Tarrant is as sly as Avon is influenceable! Indeed a good arc story to a series 5!

@ Hugbot, ohhh, if only President Jenna took a chance, we could have a complete parallel series from then on!

All very neat and creative posters around here, over and over again!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Travisina
Thanks, Lurena! I like that we both chose Travis to be our 'hero' - and an Andromedan version of him is an interesting idea. Nice artwork, as ever!

@TT - 'Heroes - Just for one Day' is great - you do 'bleak' very well. And your filk to the tune of Ring of Fire is most amusing!

@Annie - love the irony of Avon receiving the hero's honour - and his appreciation of it! And your Carnell/Ring story is very clever.

@Mistletoe - That's a rather lovely insight into Avon's formative years.

@Paula - Very neat & clever poem - you should write more! With your poems and Brad's limericks, you're a formidable team Smile

@Hugbot - your Jenna story made me laugh out loud, and what a great PGP!

@Brad - Interesting that we both had Dev Tarrant on our minds this month (not the first time there's been some sort of transatlantic telepathy). Mine was set during TWB and ended up in the Valentines thread, and I really like your PGP version here.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Ooh bitter story there Travisina. Brilliant Travis!

JustBrad
Bravo, Travisina.

purplecleric
Full Circle

Two rings spun. Both were taller than a man, one sat within the other, each spun on a different axis. Another ring circled them, a ring of men. The rings hummed, the men murmured in counterpoint. The rings spun faster, the men's voices grew louder and the chamber was charged with static and anticipation. With a grating screech the rings locked together. The room fell silent. A film of swirling colours filled the empty space within the rings. Reds blended with yellows became orange, soured to citrus and rust, then bloodied again. The film clotted; lumpy shapes darkening in the pool of scarlet. The men watched, their collective breath held, until one dared to break the spell.

'Do you think it'll work?'

The youth's words were punctuated by his Adam's apple bobbing. He finished his question with a large swallow that was seen and heard by the assembly. A tall patrician-like man took pity, turning his body to the youth as he replied but keeping his eyes fixed on the dark shape beginning to coalesce with the rings. His voice had the authority his appearance suggested.

'Nothing is certain but we must strive. It is prophesied that the Hero will return in our time. We will make it so. The Originator gave us the vision, the intellect and the determination to do this. He created both the problem and the solution so that we must walk this path. Salvation is our destination, the Hero is our guide.'

As one, the circle of men intoned:

'History repeats. Hope remains. Heroes return.'

The room throbbed with the refrain and the dark form in the rings pulsed in response. The men watched, open-mouthed, as it shifted, became star-like then stretched out further. It began to take on a human form. Suspense paralyses some, makes chatterboxes of other. The youth fell into the latter category.

'How bad must the 23rd Century have been that such a Hero should rise? What chaos, what calamity must occur to necessitate such strength, such persistence? Are we really in such a place?'

Again, the older man reassured him.

'The Originator creates the conditions. In the past the solution must spontaneously occur, arising from the seeds the Originator planted. Those seeds have flourished so we now can summon the Hero rather than wait and suffer as our ancestors did. We can wait no longer.'

Seeing that the youth was still unsettled, he continued in a more pragmatic vein.

'The DNA was in our archives. We have the historical records. We now have the technology to trace and match that DNA back in time, pluck it from the past and bring it to the future. Heroes can return - on demand.'

'So we will no longer have to hide in the shadows, no longer have to fear judgement? We will be free?'

The film had cleared, all colour sucked into shaping the figure creating definition. The older man smiled and extended his arm in welcome.

'Look upon your saviour, my son. Behold the Hero.'

An elegant woman stepped out of the rings with cat-like grace and took the out-stretched hand.

'My pleasure,' she purred.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.81 seconds
9,786,142 unique visits since 8th January 2014