Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
February 2016 Fanfic Challenge
Mistletoe12
I hadn't planned on writing a story for the February challenge ... mostly because I have a list *this long* of chores to play catch up with. But whilst I stood waiting and waiting and waiting at the my usual bus stop last week, this little idea popped into my head. Angry

MEMORY

Avon knew he played with his hands, a habit which frequently led to teasing from his peers.

‘It’s better than biting your nails.’
Aunt Audrey always recited it like a mantra. His mother contacted him at school to inform him Audrey had died.

“I didn’t know she was ill,” he said accusingly.

“We only found out recently.”

“But you waited ‘till now to tell me?”

“You’re fifteen – it’s a crucial time in your education. Your father and I didn’t want to disrupt your studies.”

“I’ll attend the funeral.”

Detecting protest in his mother’s hesitation; Avon threatened to halt his revision schedule.

“Blackmail, Kerr?” she asked. “You realise I could make life very hard for you!”

A statement, a threat, a warning … he didn’t care. “Aunt Audrey may have been an irrelevance to you mother, but — ”

“I refuse to indulge your argumentative nature, Kerr! Very well, I’ll make the arrangements with the strict proviso you utilise the resources in study group to complete all your outstanding assignments – otherwise you will not be permitted to travel.”

Following a suitably depressing funeral on a gloriously sunny day, Avon made his way to the house where he’d played throughout his early childhood.

He walked past the row of sheds in the back garden, ignored the wooden hutches where his aunt had once kept rabbits, making his way directly to the Aviary.

All the exotic birds were long since gone, and yet as Avon stood inside the neglected enclosure, he instinctively brushed his hand across the place which formerly housed a bolt mechanism.

He could almost hear his aunt’s friendly reminder that the brilliantly coloured birds feeding on seed from his outstretched hand couldn’t survive outside the controlled environment.

Audrey had shown him kindness … made him hot meals, shared her interest in the stars … he didn’t want to accept he would never spend another day in her company.

Kneeling to flip the lid on a weather proof food container, Avon draw in a surprised breath at finding a paper note wrapped around a small leather box.

“Kerr sweetheart,” he read, “I know you’ll find this message. You always did love the Aviary. I expect you are wondering what motivated me into keeping my illness a secret.

“I didn’t want to make a fuss … we both know your parents would have insisted I move out my home and into a medical facility. My memories are here, Kerr … and that’s why I want you to have this keepsake. Take it quickly before all the relatives have a chance to trample over my belongings.”

Avon’s hands shook slightly as he removed a high grade gold ring from the box. “I haven’t worn it in decades,” she’d explained whilst searching for earrings to match the two-piece outfit she always wore to the playhouse. “My fingers are like sausages.”

He’d suggested wearing it on a chain around her neck. She’d humoured him with a ruffle to his wavy curls. “I’ll be sure to do that!” And then she’d changed the subject to computers, telling him he’d be famous one day. “You have greatness inside you, Kerr. Your name will be on all the viscasts.”

Avon slipped the band onto his middle finger, it wasn’t the value that interested him; he would wear the ring inscribed with his aunt’s initials to remind him of a time in his life when he’d felt secure … happy and truly loved.

Anniew
Awwe Mistletoe. How nice to think there was one person in Avon's life who loved him and never betrayed him. Heart warming story Smile
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
@ MIstletoe
That is so lovely.
I had an aviary once; full of budgies. (I used to get them from the local RSPCA place , the Ark in Stubbington).
What a nice, warm, if not tinged with sadness, story to read before I climb the wooden hill.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Lurena
@Mistletoe thank you for that lovely story.
That Avon was once loved by someone the way you wrote, that box and message, and his Aunt's remark of his name to be on every viscast...
A bit of melancholy here, I also had a aviary once...
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
@TT, I just caught up and read your story about the cold nature of Blake's 7.
I think you captured the feel of series 4 so very well.
And Like SD, I always wondered about the protests of the crew, but never stood up against S4 Avon and his plans.

Lurena
@Anniew I need not to explain, I love your stories.

littlesue wrote:

Anniew wrote:

And although I love Avon to bits, I do find him a little intimidating and so you may certainly pin on the medal and bestow a kiss.

He's a big soft pussycat really, isn't he? Isn't he??

I'll have to go and find a box to stand on, being as I'm sooo short.

Agreed!
I'm queuing up for the use of that box.

Mistletoe12
Thank you for the kind comments! I'm glad you liked Memory. I too, have lovely RL aviary memories. But since I was determined to stick (more or less) to 500 words, I tried to strip the story back to what I hoped to evoke: blending melancholy, childhood and a glimpse into the person who loved Avon unconditionally.

TT: Heroes ... Just For One Day. Excellent story! Plausible? Sadly, yes!

Annie: Neat little second story ... but I loved the first one: "High order of the federated planets” Oh, why not! Avon is a hero, right! Look how many times he saved the crew's collective backsides.

Lurena/Sue: Ring of Disillusion. As always, lovely artwork, Lurena. And a great story idea, Sue! "I was only doing my duty." And people call Avon a psychopath! You know, I don't believe I've ever written for Travis!

littlesue
Lurena wrote:

@Anniew I need not to explain, I love your stories.

littlesue wrote:

Anniew wrote:

And although I love Avon to bits, I do find him a little intimidating and so you may certainly pin on the medal and bestow a kiss.

He's a big soft pussycat really, isn't he? Isn't he??

I'll have to go and find a box to stand on, being as I'm sooo short.

Agreed!
I'm queuing up for the use of that box.

I think we're going to need a bigger box!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

BradPaula
Ring of Gold: Sarcophagus

Gold ring encircling Liberator-
Your powers quite impressive.
But taking Cally's body shape
Was nothing if not obsessive.

The girl who sang the pretty songs
Filled with sadness and emotion-
Made her hearken back to days gone by
And her home under the ocean.

The conjuring thief who entertained
But cowers in your wake-
Regrets that Cally stole your ring
And blames it all on Blake.

That alien girl whose form you took
Fought you tooth and nail-
But truth won out at the eleventh hour
As you began to wail.

That handsome youth, your champion crowned
Whose blue eyes spoke of love-
He fought you with the rest of them-
And strangled that poor dove.

That dark knight errant slipped off your ring
With boldness and faint passion.
He finished you off with one blissful kiss-
As often was his fashion.

As you dissolve into darkness-death
No feeling- touch- sensation-
You plead to them “I want to live”
Ignored- with much vexation.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Anniew
That's amazing Paula! I see poetry is another gift you and Brad share!

BradPaula
Anniew wrote:

Thank you. But this all came about- Valentine's poem to Og included, because I was so hopped up on caffeine I could not sleep and ended up with pad and pen in bed and in the dark writing it all down. And miraculously in the morning, I could actually read what I wrote. For the record, Brad never woke up and kept pleasantly snoring the whole time! Grin
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Anniew
Relate to this Paula. Do a lot of my writing in the small hours if I can't sleep while husband snores!

Hugbot
The Fury of a Woman Scorned

‘What do you think of this, Jenna?’ Blake smiled, holding up a tiny box and opening it solemnly.

Jenna could not believe her eyes. On a bed of red velvet, there lay a ring of gold. It was exquisitely crafted, with well balanced lines, and it seemed to be made of real, solid gold. Did Blake get the message after all?

‘I found this in the strongroom’, he explained, ‘I thought I might give it to Inga. She can sell it and make quite a lot of money to support her little operation on Exbar.’

Three days later, Blake still suffered from that awful ringing in his ears.

trevor travis
Superb Hugbot Grin

Was Blake also left with a limp? Pfft

Lurena
BradPaula wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Thank you. But this all came about- Valentine's poem to Og included, because I was so hopped up on caffeine I could not sleep and ended up with pad and pen in bed and in the dark writing it all down. And miraculously in the morning, I could actually read what I wrote. For the record, Brad never woke up and kept pleasantly snoring the whole time! Grin

I love you perfect couple!
The poem is wonderful!

Lurena
Hugbot wrote:

The Fury of a Woman Scorned

‘What do you think of this, Jenna?’ Blake smiled, holding up a tiny box and opening it solemnly.

Jenna could not believe her eyes. On a bed of red velvet, there lay a ring of gold. It was exquisitely crafted, with well balanced lines, and it seemed to be made of real, solid gold. Did Blake get the message after all?

‘I found this in the strongroom’, he explained, ‘I thought I might give it to Inga. She can sell it and make quite a lot of money to support her little operation on Exbar.’

Three days later, Blake still suffered from that awful ringing in his ears.

Aaaaauwww! That's brilliant Hugbot! LOL!

Anniew
Hugbot! A little gem. Xx

Hugbot
Thank you all for your comments - in particular Lurena, as I nicked the getting-the-message line from your brilliant Valentine contribution!

Hugbot
Gloria Mundi

Being knocked out by the weakest member of Avon’s gang could be considered bad form, but as Arlen herself had been the leader of the operation and the one who wrote the reports, this little incident was never made official. Officially, she and her team were heroes. Other groups of rebels had been a much more severe threat to the Federation, but the slaughter of the last remaining terrorists of the Blake-Avon group was nonetheless good publicity - especially for ‘commissioner Sleer’. Arlen knew who her superior was, but she kept the secret. Too many people had vanished inexplicably.

There she stood in the tracking gallery, in front of the members of her team, facing the big screen where any moment now the president would make his appearance, personally honouring the heroes of Gauda Prime. A little further away, Sleer waited. It was her first public appearance, and it was a calculated move. The president would of course recognise her, but after having declared her and Arlen’s team heroes, he could not easily make her persona non grata again. It was Servalan’s first step on the way back to power.

The celebration would soon be forgotten. All the troopers were just heroes for one day. But Arlen was sure that she could be a heroine forever if she played her cards right. She had won this victory for Servalan, she had been loyal, she had never threatened to reveal her secret - when Servalan rose to power, she would take Arlen with her. Ah, the future was glorious!

The screen lit up, and Arlan and her men stood to attention. There he was, the almighty presi....

Who was this handsome blond guy on the screen? Arlen saw Servalan freeze and felt a sensation of unease herself. She knew this face ... wasn’t he a mercenary, the one at the top of the Federation’s most-wanted list?

‘Ladies and gentlemen’, the stranger announced, ’I give you ... the president of the Terran Federation!’

The image changed. But still it did not show the president, but a blonde woman.

Although Servalan had never been prone to loose her composure, the surprise was even too much for her. ‘Stannis’, she exclaimed, ‘but you are dead!’

‘Well, as you can see, I am not’, Jenna smiled, ‘I had to fake my death because I had better things to do than to run guns for Blake’s insignificant operation. Grant had built up a network of rebel groups that could really make a difference. And while you were busy cleaning up the mess on Gauda Prime, we did make a difference.

‘This morning, the combined forces of Grant, Avalon, Veron, Bek and other groups have taken Earth and key planets of the Federation. The corrupt government is imprisoned, a temporary government under my leadership is in control until there will be free elections. Most part of the military is supporting us. In fact, my men have already taken the base. Leave the gallery one by one and without weapons. Do not offer any resistance.’

Servalan turned around to face Arlen and her men. It was obvious that she expected them to fight for her. But Arlen knew that there was only one way left to be a heroine in this new Federation. Slowly she raised her gun.

Ellen York
Hugbot, it is a good thing I wasn't drinking tea when I read "Fury of a Woman Scorned". You write amazing "clueless Blake" (and for an intelligent man he really is thick about some things).

"Gloria Mundi" is a perfect PGP. Yay for President Stannis!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.43 seconds
9,845,889 unique visits since 8th January 2014