Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
February 2016 Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
Plenty to fuel the fanfiction fire this month, using ART or VALENTINE'S DAY as inspiration.

The word prompt for February is ... RING

A love or friendship symbol, a band of rocks or ice surrounding a planet, a criminal gang or circle of people, the sound of a bell or to call someone on the telephone. Or perhaps it is just a shape?

And I'm still reeling from all the amazing people that we lost last month, so the second part of the challenge is some lyrics from one of them. They will always be our "Heroes"

Though nothing, will keep us together
We could steal time,
just for one day
We can be Heroes, for ever and ever
What d'you say?
Edited by Travisina on 01 April 2016 10:35:54

trevor travis
Just knocked this up in my lunch hour at work, after reading PC's prompt this morning put certain thoughts into my mind!! It's not far off the word count (trying to be good this year!!).

HEROES… JUST FOR ONE DAY

The large crowd of hundreds of thousands cheered the five figures on the palace balcony, as the president presented them with gold medals.

“Thank you, my friends, for seeing off the Federation threat and saving the planet of Klindt”, he said. “We can never, ever thank you enough, and please let me know if there’s anything we can ever do for you.”

Avon had been waiting for such an offer.

“Well, Lord President, now that you mention it, there are some rare crystals found only on Klindt…”

“I feel like a fraud”, mulled Vila over a bottle of Dorian’s finest.

Avon looked at him disdainfully. “Don’t tell me you’re developing a conscious.”

“I know how Vila feels”, interjected Tarrant. “Stealing is one thing, but those people actually believed we were heroes. When they were never under threat from that Federation fighter.”

A week earlier the crew of Scorpio had come across the abandoned ship. Orac had established that the crew had died of a space plague, which had since burnt itself out. The ship was bigger than Scorpio, but the crew knew it was no good as a replacement. You can’t run from the Federation in a Federation ship; they always had ways of regaining control of their own vessels. However, Avon had worked out it could have another use…

Dayna said: “I thought Avon’s plan of us shooting down the fighter in an imaginary space battle was rather ingenious, especially as Scorpio doesn’t actually have neutron blasters. But all they knew at their very basic ground control were the signals that Orac was sending them. But I’m happy we’re out of there. If they’d have worked out what we’d done, they’d have killed us. Especially after the out-of-control ship smashed into the settlement. They thought we’d saved millions of them, when actually we killed a few thousand.”

“Was that really necessary, Avon?” questioned Soolin.

“Once that ship fell into their atmosphere, we had no control of where it landed. It could have just as easily crashed into their capital city. In any case, we needed those crystals for Scorpio.” He fingered the medal around his neck. Solid gold. “Plus a bonus is whatever we can get for these.”

“I still don’t like it”, said Tarrant.

“No-one asked you to, Tarrant.”

“Well, let’s just get out of here and back to base.”

“Not yet. Slave, pilot me a course to the nearby Ulamek star system.”

“Yes, my most exalted master. I exist simply to serve you.”

Tarrant walked up to Avon. “What have you got planned, now, Avon?”

“Just another small business matter.”

“So Avon, what did you sell to the Ulameks to get that fuel?”, enquired Soolin.

“Just a little information I gained through Orac while we were on Klindt, that’s all.”

The president of Klindt could not understand how the Ulameks had penetrated the city so easily after landing a ground force. It was almost as if they knew the city better than his own people.

The planet was already in turmoil from the plague that had spread from the ruined settlement. Half his people had been wiped out from that.

“How I wish Avon would save us again." That was his final thought as the Ulamek soldiers burst through the door and impaled him on a spear.

THE END
Edited by trevor travis on 03 February 2016 12:55:55

Anniew
Ouch Trevor! Ouch. That's bleak and soooo feasible.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Excellent story TT, very plausible! I can very much imagine Avon doing that, and feeling - or failing to feel - that way about it afterwards. You also have spot on the way that the other crew members express their objections through criticism of Avon but fall short of actually standing up for what they believe in.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Just been catching up on some of reading/listening to some of the January fanfics. Some great stuff.

Joe, your kids are fantastic in "Project Alpha". Hope there will be more audios. "Big Breakfast - We Love Porridge" Grin Grin

Joe Dredd
Thanks TT! I was going to call it "B7 - The Porridge Planet" but I changed it to tie it back to the January prompt (I also used the audio prompt as the background sound for the planet).

Thanks also to everyone else for the kind comments, especially about my kids.

Anniew
Over the word limit I'm afraid. No Adrenaline and soma for me!

" Well we'll have to accord ONE of them hero status," Avalon protested tetchily. "We can't simply ignore Blake's 7."

"I agree Madame President, it would be ideal, but none of them really fit the bill," Earth Secretary Deva cautioned. " Pirate, murderer, embezzler, thief, deserter, sexual deviant, assassin." He ticked them off one by one. " There's the Auron woman of course...Impeccable revolutionary credentials; victim of that monster Servalan..."

"Mmmm. I'm reluctant to honour an alien, even posthumously. Too many remember the Andromeda threat. Besides Auron/ Andromedon; your average Delta can't tell one alien species from another and is bound to confuse the two. The last thing we need is another protest strike. Supply systems haven't recovered from the last one. Do YOU want to have to tell the Alphas that their fresh pineapples and Pinot Grigio can't be guaranteed?"

Deva shuddered delicately, recalling heated exchanges on that very matter in the House. "No indeed. Is Stannis out?"

"Definitely out! We can't condone her liaison with the Amagons, however heroically she died."

"What about the Delta then? That would be popular among the labouring classes."

"And shouted down by every Alpha. No the thief won't do. What was the objection to the Mellanby girl again? Ethnic minority, daughter of martyred rebels, televisual..."

"Voracious sexual appetite. Shenanigans with tutors from quite a young age. The Moral Rearmament Party are pretty much against us honouring her. And Vegans for Justice are seeking to indite her for that business on Bucol Two. Won't get anywhere of course..."

"Damn the Rearmament Party. I suppose that rules out Soolin as well?"

"They're pretty clear that her willingness to assassinate anyone for money is a major obstacle."

"Hmmph. They're quick enough to employ her. Tarrant's a non starter. The military won't countenance us giving a gong to a deserter. But that big fellow....what was his name...Gag...Gran...? Died when Blake mounted that suicidal attack on Control."

"I believe you mean Gan."

"Yes, Gan. Solid, dependable. Disabled too... We needn't mention his limiter was a punishment. Tragic victim of Federation prejudice against Gammas..."

"Reputed woman- beater. The Feminists for Freedom Party would be up in arms for weeks."

Silence. Deva fumbled uncomfortably with his papers, wondering how to bring up the unmentionable. Avalon sipped her now tepid coffee distastefully. After several nerve jangling minutes, Deva cleared his throat and muttered..."

"There's Blake of course..."

"You know my views on that, Deva," snapped Avalon. "He may be a friend of yours but the man's a fanatic. Honour him and we'd be asking for trouble. He's already much too popular with the student rabbles. We'd be inundated with marches and endless debates about how best to deliver freedom to the honest man before we know it. Nice enough fellow but not a practical bone in his body. Blake's out..."

"Well that just leaves..."

"I know... I know...But on the plus side he's clever, good looking (half of the females in the Government are in love with him). Saved Albion. Held the line at Star One. Killed Servalan..."

"Klyn. Dr Paxton. The man's a one man death squad. Nearly killed Blake..."

"A regrettable misunderstanding. Even you admit that Blake was crazy to pull that Bounty hunter stunt and you can't stand Avon. Avon was on the edge for years, opposing the forces of evil....

Deva coughed disbelievingly.

"Look it's thanks to him that we were able to counteract the threat of Pylene 50. Blake has accepted that the shooting was an unfortunate accident and if he can swallow it, then we can surely get the people to see it our way? Besides Avon's the only one of the seven left who hasn't seriously annoyed one faction or another. If anything he unites them because they're all either scared to death of him or on his payroll."

"And the bank fraud...?"

"A gallant attempt to undermine the Federation and divert funds to the rebels which was undermined by the traitor Bartholomew. Personal tragedy and political betrayal. Don't you see Deva...its win/win. Yes I've decided. Avon's our man."

When he learned that he was to be invested with the High Order of the Federated Planets, hero first class, Avon began laughing. He laughed and laughed and laughed. Soolin, on bodyguard duty, wondered if he'd ever stop. But then Avon had always had a keen appreciation of irony.

Anniew
"It's infallible, Madame President. Once the basic profile has been established it is easy to trap someone in a ring of circumstances of their own making. And profit from those circumstances."

"Oh Carnell! How you little psychostrategists love to make yourself sound important. In English, please."

"My apologies, Madonna. Let me make it simple for you."

Servalan smiled slightly, acknowledging the hit. "Not too simple," she purred, with a hint of warning. "It would not be...wise...to underestimate my intelligence."

"Indeed!." Carnell bowed slightly, then slowly raised his head so that his eyes met those of the slight but imposing woman. He let his gaze wander briefly over her voluptuous, ramrod straight form, sufficient to indicate interest but not lingering enough to suggest possession. She returned his look appreciatively and raised a white arm to indicate a near by couch.

"Come, " she invited. "Sit down with me and show me how simple this plan of yours can be."

"I just have," Carnell reflected silently with considerable amusement as he led her gallantly to the couch, sitting just near enough to her so that their knees brushed lightly together. " With the application of a little flattery, mixed with the right amount of subservience and a dash of insolence to make it challenging, I can run rings around you."

After the Impak fiasco he acknowledged he'd been over-confident: that things weren't quite as simple as he thought. One bit of grit between the links could break the circle. But he still left her a flattering message and, nice touch, a rather rare flower - just in case they encountered each other again.

BradPaula
Wonderful stories, Annie! Really loved the idea of singling out Avon as the only one they could give the medal to. And I think we'll all politely look the other way as to your word count, as your stories are so entertaining. Grin
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Anniew
Oh thank you Paula. What lovely comments.

Ellen York
Annie, your hero story is brilliant. I can picture the scene so clearly; Avalon trying to navigate among all the competing factions (I love the names of the groups) and poor long-suffering Deva doing his best to help. And the irony of Avon being the most "acceptable" one. While I would want to see all "our heroes" recognized, politics and human nature being what they are, this is exactly how the situation would play out.

Anniew
So glad you enjoyed it Ellen. I wrote it after a vigorous political discussion with a friend about the necessity and nature of political compromise.

littlesue
@Annie
So you are also of the opinion that Mr Smooth gave that flower to Servie? Just as Lurena and I believe...although thinking back, maybe even that young chap Ray could have sent it.
Anyway, a lovely little story of yours and the much longer one. Indeed, who would get that medal?
If it is that certain rather nice computer expert, is there a queue to pin the thing on...and is one supposed to supply a congratulatory kiss on the cheek??
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
Oh yes Sue, I'm quite sure that Carnell left the flower - he's a consummate game player.

And although I love Avon to bits, I do find him a little intimidating and so you may certainly pin on the medal and bestow a kiss.

littlesue
Anniew wrote:

Oh yes Sue, I'm quite sure that Carnell left the flower - he's a consummate game player.

And although I love Avon to bits, I do find him a little intimidating and so you may certainly pin on the medal and bestow a kiss.

He's a big soft pussycat really, isn't he? Isn't he??

I'll have to go and find a box to stand on, being as I'm sooo short.
I may be some time.........

Lurena
I had no time yet to read the ficlets here and on the Valentine thread, but I hope to be able to catch up in the weekend!
For now, here's one Littlesue and I wrote for you to enjoy:

Ring of Disillusion

His one regret was that they would never know who really killed them.

That had been the final straw for Travis.
Being set up by Servalan and then thrown to the wolves.
As he caressed the ring on his left hand, he knew what had to be done.
Star One had been the last piece in the jigsaw and now he stood on the threshold of new beginning.

His nemesis lay on the floor opposite; wounded; possibly dying and before him was a simple button; the solution to all his troubles...
It all seemed so easy and his new associates had made it so.

They were able to traverse the intergalactic space between the island galaxies; in particular this one, The Milky Way and theirs, the Andromeda Galaxy.
But there was one barrier blocking the route of their battle fleet; a large, expansive mine field; put there after the incursions of several scout ships.

And Travis had been involved in the interrogation of the pilot of one such scout ship, captured, after a battle, on a distant Federation stronghold.
It had been strange looking at a mirror image of himself. Well, he was the only human who dared to enter the cell.
As Space Commander Travis he had privileges; one of which involved not having any prying eyes watching as he interrogated the captive.

“We must deactivate that minefield,” the alien said, “then my people will assist you, although even they will find it difficult to understand such betrayal.”
“To betray someone, you have to feel something for them,” Travis replied.
“And you no longer feel…”
“Only contempt. I gave my life to the service of the Federation. My duty was to them…to her, and it was rewarded with a Court Martial and I was only doing my duty.”
“You seem bitter, Commander.”
“So would you be after what I have been through. Now,” Travis said, leaning forward to within an inch of his own face, “Do we have a deal?”
“I will need to return to my people. Once you discover the co-ordinates of the power that controls that minefield, then I believe you will be able to exact your revenge.”
“Good.”
“But how do I leave this establishment?”
Travis smiled as he undid the straps binding the alien to the chair.
i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/neoantares/stories/ring%20of%20disillusion_1.jpg
“You are me, aren’t you?”
The alien stood up. Whatever the means of it being able to look just like him and dressed like him was remarkable.
“To all intents and purposes, yes I am.”
“Then just walk out of this cell. No-one will question you as you board your ship under the pretence of taking it back to Space Command Headquarters.”
“And you, Commander?”
“They will break in here eventually and discover the deception. Then I will await your message and join you for the final act.”
“You must really hate your own people,” the alien surmised.

Those words still reverberated as Travis stood before his destiny, the ringed finger a stark reminder of what he had become.
.*.

Edited by Lurena on 05 February 2016 23:10:18

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Anniew
lurena and Sue loved this and loved the art work. Never thought that Travis might have been copied by the Andromedon ! Begs the question, which one did Avon kill!

Lurena
Anniew wrote:

lurena and Sue loved this and loved the art work. Never thought that Travis might have been copied by the Andromedon ! Begs the question, which one did Avon kill!

I was happy Sue came up with this idea. For years I've had thoughts about this myself to give Travis a chance to return in the series, but the writers did not.
Thank you for your comment!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Ellen York
Good explanation for how Travis got in contact with the Andromedans. And I love the picture of Travis and his "double".

littlesue
I've always been puzzled by Stott's question in Star One; asking about the hand and the eye patch. It occurs to me that Stott has not actually met Travis, but has obviously been in contact with someone who has and who described Travis.
As to how the alien duplicated Travis' clothes and eyepatch...pass. But this is B7, so it's best not to ask!!!!Grin

BTW, many thanks for your kind comments.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.59 seconds
9,169,174 unique visits since 8th January 2014