Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
B7 anthology - 'Big Finish Book 4'
meegat39
Trigger Point

I've just started reading this and I have to say the writing is very good, with the characters really captured by the author. However, Cally seems to be harbouring some animosity towards Avon, ie mocking his skill to a degreee, and this seems out of character to me. I've never noticed any animosity from her, although this story is set just after The Web, after Cally tried to sabotage the ship. Therefore, the animosity would have been from AVON towards Cally, not the other way around in my view. Any thoughts, anyone?
Edited by President Solvite on 10 June 2014 06:13:41
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have not read the Anthology but do agree that what you describe would be out of character for Cally. After all, many fans suggest that there's an affection between the characters which although perhaps not supported on-screen imo is certainly not disproved by any animosity between them that I remember.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

meegat39
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Have not read the Anthology but do agree that what you describe would be out of character for Cally. After all, many fans suggest that there's an affection between the characters which although perhaps not supported on-screen imo is certainly not disproved by any animosity between them that I remember.

Thank you SD. Your opinion is valued. Wink

President Solvite
I am hoping to read this in the coming weeks..

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Travisina
meegat39 wrote:

Trigger Point

I've just started reading this and I have to say the writing is very good, with the characters really captured by the author. However, Cally seems to be harbouring some animosity towards Avon, ie mocking his skill to a degreee, and this seems out of character to me. I've never noticed any animosity from her, although this story is set just after The Web, after Cally tried to sabotage the ship. Therefore, the animosity would have been from AVON towards Cally, not the other way around in my view. Any thoughts, anyone?

I wasn't aware of any animosity when I read it at the time, but I'll re-read to see if I was missing something. However, I think you might like the third story more - Cold Revolution. It's another mostly Avon/Cally story, but shows the beginnings of an attraction between them...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

meegat39
Travisina wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Trigger Point

I wasn't aware of any animosity when I read it at the time, but I'll re-read to see if I was missing something. However, I think you might like the third story more - Cold Revolution. It's another mostly Avon/Cally story, but shows the beginnings of an attraction between them...

That does sound good! Maybe animosity is too strong a word. Maybe it was more of a case of Cally antagonising Avon somewhat ... I'm going to have to reread that section again.

President Solvite
Just started to read this

Trigger Point - a very well written story. Enjoyed it greatly

Haven't detected any animosity from Cally towards Avon.. Of course he does get teased a bit by Cally, but Avon sets himself up and makes himself a target at times for ridicule. By dishing it out to both Vila and Blake, Avon is bound to receive a little bit in reciprocation himself. I see this as normal human/oid behaviour.

Beserker - another quite good story, I'm not sure about the credibility of an indestructable weapon with an near infinite life and power source being built by the Federation. But the characterisation is pretty good. I have a problem in that Federation front line warships seem to be quite limited capabilities (mentioned in same story) yet they, the Federation can build drones/mines/assassin droids of near infinite powers (like the galactic minefield generators?) doesnt quite hold water to me. However that being said it is still a good read.

Will give feedback on the third story later on in the week.

Spaceresearcher
I'm still to read this. I'll confess to having gone off on a bit of a tangent reading a comic series called: "The Alien Legion" which has some terrific characters and superb detailed artwork. Ahead of it's time and 600+ pages of pure SciFi joy for those who like Space Opera.

It's sitting there in my pile at the ready though when I finish reading the rest of The Alien Legion. Really curious to find out, after Meegat39's comments on Cally there. A personal favourite character of mine, so I'll be sure to check that point out for you Meegat39 in terms of animosisty between Cally and Avon.

meegat39
Spaceresearcher wrote:

I'm still to read this. I'll confess to having gone off on a bit of a tangent reading a comic series called: "The Alien Legion" which has some terrific characters and superb detailed artwork. Ahead of it's time and 600+ pages of pure SciFi joy for those who like Space Opera.

It's sitting there in my pile at the ready though when I finish reading the rest of The Alien Legion. Really curious to find out, after Meegat39's comments on Cally there. A personal favourite character of mine, so I'll be sure to check that point out for you Meegat39 in terms of animosisty between Cally and Avon.

Well I actually think that animosity is too strong a word. It was more of a case of Cally antagonising Avon, at least that's how I saw it. I'm not sure Avon even noticed!

President Solvite
Yes sorry Meegat I see that your thoughts on Cally's antagonising of Avon being more probable, I think you're right that Avon probably hadn't noticed. Maybe he does but he relishes the engagement and somehow keeps a focus.

meegat39
President Solvite wrote:

Yes sorry Meegat I see that your thoughts on Cally's antagonising of Avon being more probable, I think you're right that Avon probably hadn't noticed. Maybe he does but he relishes the engagement and somehow keeps a focus.

Thanks PS.

Joe Dredd
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Is that the one with the snake-tailed guy in charge, Major Sarigar or something? I remember reading those when they first came out! I was always impressed by the design of their armour, which was modified to fit all the different species.

Spaceresearcher
Joe Dredd wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Is that the one with the snake-tailed guy in charge, Major Sarigar or something? I remember reading those when they first came out! I was always impressed by the design of their armour, which was modified to fit all the different species.

Smile That's the very one. Dark Horse Publications have put out 2 excellent Omnibus reprints recently and if you enjoyed the series, these are fantastic with the artwork looking as crisp as ever in full stunning colour. Each Ominibus is over 300 pages. Well worth grabbing if your a fan of the series. I put it right up there with another terrific comic series "Six From Sirius".

Speaking of Space Opera comics, I just read in the latest edition of Analog Science Fiction and Fact, that a new series calledUnsureaga, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_%28comic_book%29
is a worthwhile story also.

It would be terrific if Big Finish could commission a new Blakes 7 comic. Maybe Book 7 or 8 could be a graphic novel. Smile

I still enjoy revisiting the Blakes 7 magazines for there comic stories expanding Season D(4).

President Solvite
Starting the final story tonight, I need something to do, on these nights away from home..

meegat39
Trigger Point

I would just like to say that I've reread the section where I thought Cally was antagonising Avon, I now realise I was completely wrong. I misinterpreted her reactions a couple of times. There was only one comment which could be interpreted this way realistically. I think I was too hasty to judge. Apologies all round.

I would also like to say that the story is awesome! It's really captured Blake's 7 at it's best and the last little bit I read (I'm on page 33) gave me a thrill of excitement, the likes of which you only get when a book/story really hits the spot! I've been a bit slow reading this because I started reading something on my Kindle and got caught up with that. ("Gone Girl" for anyone that's interested.)

Based on what I've read so far, I can thoroughly recommend this story and Gillian Taylor's style of Blake's 7.

President Solvite
All three short stories I think are very good. This is easily the best book out of BF so far in my view..

The characters felt pretty credible, the stories felt in place, as in they are of a similar style to the original episodes. (not that I mind an alternate take now and again) All three stories I could feel I could read again. The fact that they were novellas meant that the pace had to be pretty quick, something which I feel some of the other books published lacked.

On the third story there is a reference to the crew suffering from Cally's cooking. I don't know if it was due to the continual jokes about kitchen duties and Auron burgers on this board here.. But it really made me laugh out loud, which is pretty rare for me whilst reading these days.

Scott
Just about finished reading this and I have to say the first story is probably the best. It gets the charactorisation pretty much right and is a pretty enjoyable romp. I think it benefits from being a novella, rather than a fully fledged novel. It feels tighter and less padded than some of the other novels. The second story was ok, enjoyable enough, but a tad predictable

But I have to disagree with a couple of the comments about the final story, which I felt was complete load of tripe. This is Blakes 7 not Mills and Boon, I've got no need to know that Cally can't cook, but that Avon can. In fact the constant references to eating were incredibly annoying and totally out of charactor.

The editing is pretty poor, on one occasion Vila is described as leaving the flight deck to make a hot drink (really, a hot drink), Blake then decides to communicate with his contact on the planet about Avon and Cally disappearing. The dialogue then appears to include comments from Vila before Blake concludes the transmission, at which point Vila is depicted as wandering back from the Kitchen asking Blake whats up.

Then there's the segment where we get a discription of Avons Pyjamas followed by mention of Cally walking out of the shower in just a towel. Immediately following this completely unnecessary information, they share a companionable breakfast (expertly cooked by Avon obviously), then get up and leave to drive back to the city without apparently bothering to get dressed.

I'll stop now, but to be honest this story is quite frankly embarrassing.

Scott
Edited by Scott on 24 February 2014 13:47:15

Spaceresearcher
Finally got a chance to read this so hopefully it's old hat for most of you but for those who haven't read the book yet a few spoilers could be found so be sure to read the book before reading this post.

First off, like many fellow Blakes 7 fans who own this book, I entered the competition for a chance to have a story officially published. Alas like many of you, that wasn't to be, but I was still keen to read what they felt was 'appropriate competition winning stories'.

Strangely the order of the stories is in reverse on the back of the cover?

The first story in this 3 story collection was 'Trigger Point' by Gillian F Taylor.
A story of Blake and the reluctant crew aiding planet Belzanko from the tyrannical control of the Federation. Overall this story wasn't bad but I got visions of Avon and Cally on the speeder bikes from Star Wars - Return Of The Jedi by the end of the story. That said, it read like something Avon would do, in terms of fiddling with a stock market computer. The interplay between the action on the ship and the action going on down on the planet was also very Blakes 7 in feel.
I gave it 7 out of 10 Oracs. Unsure

For the second story 'Berseker' by RA Henderson, I give the coveted best of the best award amongst these stories. Why? Because it truly captured an episode of Blakes 7 for me. For me, this was as good as watching an episode and that's what I really want when I read a Blakes 7 novel. Something to the point, with a nice amount of action. Banter between the heroes that continues there awkward relationships and an ending revealing the thoughts of Avon and Blake which casts light on the doubts of the earlier scenes. Well written and most enjoyable. So glad this story got to be published.
9.5 out of 10 Oracs Unsure (It lost half a point because not all the interludes were necessary and spelled out too much(like the ending which could have been a nice shocker. Also Vila would not have so easily agreed to go with Blake to stop a relentless killing machine).

On the third and final story in the anthology 'Cold Revolution' by MG Harris, I've sadly got just one word: 'BORING!!!'. Perhaps it's because I heard the recent Liberator Chronicles story 'President' before I read this story or perhaps it was just so removed from the pace of an actual Blakes 7 episode it failed to capture me at all. Mainly it was just that we already have such stories in part and in better delivery in the televised episodes. The entire political issues and betrayals were simply uninteresting. From what I've read of other fellow fans stories, I'd wished one of those had gotten published(they were hundreds of times better than this story) instead as this was a waste of book space for this fan. (Also Cally getting kicked didn't thrill me either).
2 out of 10 Oracs Unsure(and that's being generous).

So here's hoping that RA Henderson and Gillian F Taylor continue to write Blakes 7 stories and that MG Harris sticks with 'The Joshua Files' instead.
Edited by Spaceresearcher on 10 June 2014 06:23:19

Spaceresearcher
There you go PS. You can delete the other thread now.

President Solvite
Spaceresearcher wrote:

There you go PS. You can delete the other thread now.

Thankyou,

Title altered for clarity

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,859,598 unique visits since 8th January 2014