Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Breaking Doctor Who News
Travisina
And no series this year Sad

http://www.radiot...s-chibnall
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 25 January 2016 14:02:19
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
Yup, no series in 2016 has been on the cards for some time.

I guess the good news is that this DOES confirm that DW will return for a Season 37 in 2018, following Moffat's swansong in 2017.

Shame we can't have an extra special or two this year, as in 2009. But the ratings of Season 35 were killed by the slot it was placed in last year, at around 8.30pm opposite X-Factor. It was crap scheduling, and I think the move back to the spring was at Moffat's request.

And I'm glad Chris Chibnall is the new showrunner. He did a very good job at being lead writer for Seasons 1 & 2 of Torchwood. Hey, with him in charge, they probably WILL kill a companion Wink (he killed Owen & Tosh). It will also be interesting to see what the Chibnall / Calpaldi combination brings.
Edited by trevor travis on 22 January 2016 22:27:58

Anniew
I'm sad there's going to be nothing until Christmas and I shall miss Mr Moffatt. I wish the BBC had more faith in its creations and stopped rating chasing!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

briggsy1
Perhaps partly a ratings chasing decision and partly an economic decision as well - I'm sure DW is pretty expensive to make per episode.

Klenotka
I am not sure what to think.

I disliked Matt Smithīs era, but I realized it was due to my dislike of Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, not Moffatīs stories (Even though the River Song "twist" was silly and predictable)

But Chibnall....his episodes in DW were not really that good. Maybe because most of them were written for Smith, and maybe because I donīt like Silurians. I liked his episode 42. He may be a great showrunner, what do I know.

But...i am worried if Peter stays. He deserves to stay longer than three years, it seems that he barely started and to see him with a new showrunner AND a new companion will be a fresh start for him. I am sure it is only up to Peter right now.
That is my main concern.

That there will be only Christmas special this year was pretty much clear since it was semi-officially confirmed filming starts in May.
Donīt be Lasagne

trevor travis
Just remembered Chibnall wrote Countrycide for Torchwood. Would love an episode like that in DW Grin

BradPaula
I think Moffat said it correctly, his timey-whimey is over. Glad to see the series being handed over to someone who seems to know what he's doing. But it will be a long absence and excuse me for worrying needlessly, but I went through the Doctor Who 'hiatus' in the classic era and that came to no good, right? Well, I'm sure we'll be fine, Doctor Who is a huge money-maker for the BBC, they would not ax it, would they, I ask? Oh, but what a long wait!! Can we somehow convince Capaldi to stay 3 more series???
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

rojkerr1
glad to see him go, would never have believed that the writer of the Empty child and girl in the fireplace could produce such utter drivel. I love Capaldi, and now he might get the chance he deserves!

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:Can we somehow convince Capaldi to stay 3 more series???

Hopefully that's the first thing that Chris Chibnall is trying to do. In New Who, the lead actor has tended to only do three series, but the production schedule is a lot less gruelling than, for example, sixties Who, and there's no reason why the lead actor couldn't stick around for as long as Tom Baker did.

Peter Calpaldi is in a league different to Matt Smith, so hopefully he can be kept as the Doctor for longer.

trevor travis
rojkerr1 wrote:

glad to see him go, would never have believed that the writer of the Empty child and girl in the fireplace could produce such utter drivel. I love Capaldi, and now he might get the chance he deserves!

I think Moffat tried too hard with his story arcs, hence the mess of Seasons 32 & 33, with utter tripe such as "A Good Man Goes To War". Matt Smith is not one of my favourite Doctors, but he was never really given a proper chance.

I'm a bit concerned with the fact it seems the Moff wants to go out with something epic in the next season. Actually, this season just gone, with the return of two-parters and more plotting within stories rather than between then, was a massive improvement. Being less epic helped.

Joe Dredd
I heard the BBC had Roy Clarke as first choice but he was too busy photocopying old "Last of the Summer Wine" scripts to reuse for "Still Open All Hours".

Anniew
Joe LOL
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'll be sad to see Steven Moffat leave, as his take on the show has impressed me so much more than expected over the last four years, but I'm already a fan of Chris Chibnall so that's exciting and encouraging news for me too and I'm looking forward to seeing how he interprets the show.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I'll be sad to see Steven Moffat leave, as his take on the show has impressed me so much more than expected over the last four years

Er, so "A Good Man Goes To War" and "Let's Hit Killer" really exceeded your expectations following "The Empty Child", "The Girl In The Fireplace", "Blink" and "Silence In The Library"? Shock Grin

That's not to say that he's come up with the cracking stories as showrunner e.g. "A Christmas Carol" and "Heaven Sent". But I think the Moff will go down in Who history as a cracking writer but an indifferent showrunner.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

I'll be sad to see Steven Moffat leave, as his take on the show has impressed me so much more than expected over the last four years

Er, so "A Good Man Goes To War" and "Let's Hit Killer" really exceeded your expectations following "The Empty Child", "The Girl In The Fireplace", "Blink" and "Silence In The Library"? Shock Grin

The last four years would be 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015; ie from Asylum of the Daleks onwards. The episodes you name, none of which I like, are all from five years ago in the last series that I disliked. Asylum to Hell Bent do mostly exceed any expectations set by the RTD era for me, and the period has been the biggest high point of my life as a fan since 1990. The Xmas special just gone disappointed me, along with a few episodes like Death in Heaven and Sleep No More, but it's been brilliant for me otherwise. However much I watched the RTD era and had episodes and characters I liked, the reason I was watching was because it was a show I already loved; from Asylum onwards I have been watching because of being transfixed by it being my favourite show on television in its own right, irrespective of its history, and that for me has been really special.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:The episodes you name, none of which I like, are all from five years ago in the last series that I disliked

Well actually it's not later this year that those episodes are five years old, so at the moment they are only four years old.

But even looking at subsequent seasons, there's been some weak episodes commissioned such as "Curse Of The Black Spot", "Rings Of Akhaten" and "Nightmare In Silver", plus the whole nonsense with Clara being the 'Mysterious Girl' which meant it wasn't until her second season that she was allowed to have a proper character, and convoluted story arcs with that reached a peak with the absurd "Time Of The Doctor".

The two Peter Calpaldi seasons have been a massive improvement, and suggest that problem may have been that the casting of Matt Smith sent the programme down a bit of a dead end.

The Moff has given us some wonderful scripts during his time as showrunner such as "A Christmas Carol", "The Angels Take Manhattan", "The Day Of The Doctor", "Listen" and "Heaven Sent". Overall, I think he'll be remembered fondly, and many our expectations were just too high for him. Given the four scripts he wrote for DW in Seasons 27 to 30, I think everyone expected his era to be the best ever, but IMO it never quite reached the peak of the Hinchcliffe or RTD eras.

Ultimately the Moff wasn't able to sustain the brilliant ratings of Season 30 and the Specials of 2009. And ratings are all important these days, whether we like it or not. He was wise to leave, before he was sacked. I think I'll remember his era quite fondly, especially the Calpaldi years.
Edited by trevor travis on 24 January 2016 11:49:08

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

But even looking at subsequent seasons, there's been some weak episodes commissioned such as "Curse Of The Black Spot", "Rings Of Akhaten" and "Nightmare In Silver", plus the whole nonsense with Clara being the 'Mysterious Girl' which meant it wasn't until her second season that she was allowed to have a proper character...

Well I enjoy all of those episodes (Black Spot was also 2011 btw) and I also found Clara likable and interesting as a character from the start; the mystery wasn't nonsense, it was just a mystery. If a mystery about a fictional character in a work makes it nonsense then that takes out about 90% of, for example, Agatha Christie's novels.

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

But even looking at subsequent seasons, there's been some weak episodes commissioned such as "Curse Of The Black Spot", "Rings Of Akhaten" and "Nightmare In Silver", plus the whole nonsense with Clara being the 'Mysterious Girl' which meant it wasn't until her second season that she was allowed to have a proper character...

Well I enjoy all of those episodes (Black Spot was also 2011 btw) and I also found Clara likable and interesting as a character from the start; the mystery wasn't nonsense, it was just a mystery. If a mystery about a fictional character in a work makes it nonsense then that takes out about 90% of, for example, Agatha Christie's novels.

Yes, but those mysteries are resolved within a single book. Not resolved in eight books in the future Wink

dragonq
I didn't mind Matt Smith. My daughter adored him; I thought he was an OK doctor, without being a great one. As far as the last few years go, I liked the fact that we had finally got away from the doctor and companion mooning over each other; and I did like River Song. Clara was a ho hum companion, but so was Martha and I actively disliked Donna to the point that I stopped watching the show.

Peter Capaldi is, in my opinion, almost the best doctor of all time. I'm constantly astounded by the subtleties of his performance, and the way he seems to be all of the other incarnations in the same body, with the character of Twelve overlying everything. I know you have to be an older fan to appreciate this (and I am exactly the same age as the show having been born in November 1963) but I love this sense of continuity.

I am dismayed that there is going to be this break, but I think it is a good idea that there is a change behind the scenes. Just hold onto Peter Capaldi, please.

Klenotka
I am not an older fan but I think Peter IS the best Doctor. And Jon Pertwee "survived" on the first place through all the following Doctors but Peter is just...well, great. Also, he is one of the best actors who ever played the Doctor. The material he got this year was very strong, especially the last three episodes. Jenna really was a great partner for him, so it was part of the charm. Letīs hope Chibnall will have some word in casting the new companion since he will be writing for her/him after S10.
Donīt be Lasagne

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,917,353 unique visits since 8th January 2014