Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Gambit
GoldChannel
Lurena's hilarious post about the possible inspiration for The Incredible Shrinking Orac meant this aspect of the episode was foremost in my mind when I came up to it on my personal rewatch last night.

Does anyone else find this episode..... a bit... odd? Brilliant, but odd...!

I did notice that Robert Holmes' previous script, Killer, seemed like a bit of a spare wheel in amidst the developing arc of this series. You could remove it from the line-up and it wouldn't affect the series one bit.

Gambit is a real contrast... we've got the Servalan/Travis plot, some gangsterism, surreal cabaret, Cally showing some leg, some fantastic insults ("powder puff", "ten credit touch!"Wink, a car park with some tinsel and disco lights shining on it.... it's like everything's been chucked into one mad blender!! Comedy, action, menace, pathos... it has it all. And at the end of it we finally have some direction as to where to find Control/Star One.

I like it.... i think I might even love it.... but wow, it's just so..... bizarre. I can't be the only one who thinks this??

GoldChannel
and how can I forget..... Ze Klute!!

GoldChannel
thinking about it, I think i'm a bit clearer as to why. It's obvious that Bob Holmes doesn't quite 'get' the characters as such... but is shoe-horning them into a story he can tell. in 'Killer' it was a bit vague and meh, but with this it's more knockabout... so the viewer feels as if she's watching several different series' all at once!

if that makes sense?

BradPaula
I've always loved Gambit myself.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

I've always loved Gambit myself.

Me too - it's so over the top and so much fun to watch.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
Gambit is brilliant fun, with Jacqueline Pearce in top form as the Lady In Red, and tremendous stuff from Avon and Vila.

Plus it's a vital piece in the arc - how do we get from Docholli to Lurgen otherwise?

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:
Plus it's a vital piece in the arc - how do we get from Docholli to Lurgen otherwise?

Yeah, this was never a contender for 'which episode to drop in a 12-ep series.'
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

briggsy1
How can anyone dislike the campness and sense of fun of Gambit? And the idea of the Klute playing allcomers at speed chess with the ever present threat of a fatal electric shock down the spine is pure genius. Come to think of it, introducing something along similar lines would liven up The Chase no end! (I'm so evil.)

Gauda Cheese
I love three of Holmes' B7 stories and really enjoy one (Sleeriously)

Gambit has my lady looking devastatingly gorgeous in red. It gives every single cast member something to do.... and its hilarious. I love it. I also love it because of how different it is to Killer.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

sweevo
Robert Holmes had a tendency to write everything in pairs (Servalan/Jarriere, Travis/Docholli, Avon/Vila), which does hurt the story a little bit (although, in my opinion, the actual stars of this episode are Avon and Vila - Blake, Jenna and Cally make almost zero progress except for an altercation with Travis, who appears to have lost a brain cell or two since his defection).

briggsy1
You just know when Servalan turns Travis into a walking bomb that his days are numbered. Sure enough he only makes it as far as the next episode.

Anniew
It's the tawdry, Wild West frontier town sets that I love all spiced up with a bit of space bling for Krantor and sparkly tinsel for the ladies! Could almost imagine that Holmes stole a script from Gun Smoke which he then revamped And the casting obviously harks back to that series! I like the attempt they make this series to create different inhabited worlds even if space goth makes an unfortunate appearance. And I love the Avon and Vila show - though it does rather prefigure Orbit with Avon rather too ready to risk Vila's life for profit.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

GoldChannel
Anniew wrote:

It's the tawdry, Wild West frontier town sets that I love all spiced up with a bit of space bling for Krantor and sparkly tinsel for the ladies! Could almost imagine that Holmes stole a script from Gun Smoke which he then revamped

haha, yes!!!

From the tone of some of the replies above I think I may have been slightly misunderstood... i'm not dissing Gambit by any means nor suggesting it could have been taken out of the series' running order... just trying to make sense of how (and why) bizarrely bonkers and DIFFERENT it is.

And yes, GaudaCheese, Servalan looks fantatic in that red costume! Smile

Grade Four Ignorant
I like it, but sort of like it less the more I watch it. I get really bored of the Docholli story and only really like the Avon and Vila subplot. Same goes for Killer for much the same reason.

mrsbookmark
I can appreciate Gambit more now that I've seen the series more & I know how it fits in. The very first time I watched B7 I didn't finish the episode because it was so odd and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I has some good character moments.

Lurena
Gambit has always been one of my favourites actually!
So much fun and it is Different and Camp indeed.
I think it mattered if you watched it as a child, or adult.
Camp was fashion in 1978, complete with silver and tinsel and subtext, many things overdone, including acting and music performances. All is to be found in Gambit.
There is the actuality of corruption and crime in the game sector coming to light, the first scientifical publications about shrinking electrical circuits (molecular reduction) and so on.
I love the setting in Wild West movie style.
I am fond of chess games and for me Ze Creepy Klute has given them an extra dimension since.
And the Vila-Avon performances are priceless.
Every actor tried their best and I think they have had a lot of fun.
And not to forget, the episode leads up to the episodes The Keeper and in the end Star One.
I once read the actors were given a small Orac for present that Christmas.
Who does not want to get that?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
GoldChannel
hee hee, if only small Orac could have made further appearances

or even..... BIG ORAC??? Skyscraper-sized!! That would have flummoxed the federation.... Pfft

winnie-l
I like the episode 24.Gambit very much too - for all the reasons Lurena lists, but also particularly for the MAGNIFICENT performance of Krantor by Aubrey Woods. He is so perfectly cast & he is DEADLY while being in elaborate distracting costume...

KRANTOR: [Laughs unpleasantly] An eye patch! (actually he draws out that laugh brilliantly!) Oh, how quaint.

That's one of my favorite bits! along with:

KRANTOR: Really, Commander --
SERVALAN: Supreme --
KRANTOR: Supreme Commander, you make my blood run cold.

Oh, it's just too funny how Servalan "corrects" his omission of her full title. They are exquisitely toying with each other together.

And of course there's the Vila & Avon Show:
VILA: You know, if it was a desert down there, so hot your eyeballs frizzled, poisonous snakes under every rock --
AVON: Blake would have sent us.

Don't get me started, I could cite the whole show. LOVE IT. Except maybe the sort of dire 80's-computer chess "graphics"...

Joe Dredd
Krantor continues to downgrade Servalan's title throughout, doesn't he? : )

littlesue
Winnie said....LOVE IT. Except maybe the sort of dire 80's-computer chess "graphics"...

For those of us who didn't have a computer back then...of any sort...those graphics were cool!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.48 seconds
9,166,298 unique visits since 8th January 2014