Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Liberator Chronicles vol. 12
Spaceship Dispatcher
guiser wrote:

The audios that I most enjoyed were (in order of release)Turing Test, Counterfeit, Magnificent 4, Wolf, Kerr, Three, Incentive, Spoils, Velandra and The Hard Road/Spy. I think I tend to favour darker than average audios with clever twists, character interest, and/or an element of ambiguity!...

...Also, I'm not too keen on how Messers Scott and Wright see Vila either. So that is another "meh" reaction for the Vila backstory.

We don't agree on everything, but...

Hurrah - another fan of Velandra!! Grin

Two more 'no' votes, from dragonq and guiser, for the Vila retconning!! Wink

I don't feel quite so alone on my opinions of those stories now Grin Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Joe Dredd
You can add another "no" vote from me, SD.

My harrumphing hat is firmly in place on that one.

Spaceresearcher
With the delay of Volume 12, I'm wondering what the future plans for Blakes 7 at Big Finish are?

To speculate, I'd guess that with doing a production like 'Dr Who: The War Doctor' starring John Hurt and Jacqueline Pearce(which is brilliant for those who haven't heard it yet), the new Prisoner series and the inevitable flop that will be Survivors in audio it's getting a back seat while they recoup and pay for the high costing productions and the other sideline productions.

Still I'm hoping that once the madness has settled down, there will be much more for Blakes 7 ahead. As usual I guess it's all about how well it sells and while most fans with any association with Horizon will be there to support the cause, I'm uncertain as to the commercial success as a whole. Here's hoping it's enough to continue to make more.

All we can do is spread the word till then.

Travisina
Spaceresearcher wrote:

... and the inevitable flop that will be Survivors in audio

Actually, it's been hugely successful, with three series released so far and two more due out this year. Starring the original cast, and with top notch writing, directing and high production values, I can't imagine why you think it's 'an inevitable flop'.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceresearcher
Travisina wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Actually, it's been hugely successful, with three series released so far and two more due out this year. Starring the original cast, and with top notch writing, directing and high production values, I can't imagine why you think it's 'an inevitable flop'.

Essentially it just doesn't work for this fan in audio format. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent production and if sales are going well then terrific. But personally I will not be purchasing any. It was nice to hear the freebie first episode but that's as far as I'm delving into it. Survivors was a visually told story. It just doesn't work for this fan in audio. Sorry, that's me (and others so it's not just me).

stoke_rob
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Essentially it just doesn't work for this fan in audio format. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent production and if sales are going well then terrific. But personally I will not be purchasing any. It was nice to hear the freebie first episode but that's as far as I'm delving into it. Survivors was a visually told story. It just doesn't work for this fan in audio. Sorry, that's me (and others so it's not just me).

As a fan of both audio Survivors and Blake's 7 I am in the opposite camp. I think they have brought a whole new dimension to the series that spawned them and the scripts are the equal of, if not better, than many of the television episodes. I accept that audios divide people, but wanted to put my hand up in support of them.
Rob Cope

http://www.colinbakeronline.com
trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:
Pretty much in lock-step with you on the audios, TT. The only reason Jenna's Story stands out to me is that was the story we listened to in the car on the way to Dimension's con, right? The one where I flat out said Jenna did not blow herself up to get away from the Federation blockade? Yes, it's memorable because of that trip! And very much love Sally in the audios. That's how Jenna should have been.

Yes, we listened to the whole of volume 6 didn't we? I think it popped through the post the day before, and it was too good an opportunity to miss.

I do remember your comments, and also those of Brad: "I'm sure I heard an escape shuttle". Grin

But I quite enjoyed the audio, bar the lack of twist at the end. It was certainly far better than Blake's Story - I didn't think much of the idea of an unhinged Blake speaking to an imaginary Avon. An unusual low-point from the usually dependable Wright/Scott writing partnership.

So looking forward to volume 12 now...

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:Hurrah - another fan of Velandra!! Grin

I quite like Velandra. It's not mind-blowing, but a good, solid story. Always have time for a bit of Travis.

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:Two more 'no' votes, from dragonq and guiser, for the Vila retconning!! Wink

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, because there is no retconning of the Vila story. Vila is the illegitimate son of Solvin Tavac, and he still grows up in the slums. That doesn't contradict anything elsewhere.

Within the TV series, Vila hints that he wasn't actually a true Delta... he says he 'bought' his classification, but doesn't fully clarity his comments.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to David Warner returning to the range.
Edited by trevor travis on 21 February 2016 13:34:30

trevor travis
stoke_rob wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

As a fan of both audio Survivors and Blake's 7 I am in the opposite camp. I think they have brought a whole new dimension to the series that spawned them and the scripts are the equal of, if not better, than many of the television episodes. I accept that audios divide people, but wanted to put my hand up in support of them.

I haven't bought Survivors on audio as yet, but I'm intending to.

Has anyone got Torchwood on audio, and what's their opinion on it? That's potentially on my list.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, because there is no retconning of the Vila story. Vila is the illegitimate son of Solvin Tavac, and he still grows up in the slums. That doesn't contradict anything elsewhere.

Any modern addition to old continuity, like character backstory, is retroactive whether or not it's a contradiction.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Has anyone got Torchwood on audio, and what's their opinion on it? That's potentially on my list.

See my spoiler free comments on the first three episodes on the Big Finish (non-Blake's 7) thread Wink

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Any modern addition to old continuity, like character backstory, is retroactive whether or not it's a contradiction.

In which every audio is a retcon, because every single Libby Chronicles adds depth to the characters. I don't agree with your definition Wink

I don't see "Secrets" as a retcon any more than e.g. "Three" is.

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

See my spoiler free comments on the first three episodes on the Big Finish (non-Blake's 7) thread Wink

Ah, thanks Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

In which every audio is a retcon, because every single Libby Chronicles adds depth to the characters. I don't agree with your definition Wink

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're not agreeing with. The word retroactive simply refers to new ideas being added to old ones. Secrets wasn't written in 1980 and so it's adding to the original continuity of Vila's life as written at the time retroactively. Most LCs don't add new ideas to the continuity, but those that do are retroactive. It means they were not written contemporarily with the original show.

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're not agreeing with. The word retroactive simply refers to new ideas being added to old ones. Secrets wasn't written in 1980 and so it's adding to the original continuity of Vila's life as written at the time retroactively. Most LCs don't add new ideas to the continuity, but those that do are retroactive. It means they were not written contemporarily with the original show.

In which case why were you using the word 'retcon' as a negative and derogatory term?

I don't see, for example, "Three" as negative at all, with its expansion of Servalan's back story (although some or most of it is probably untruths!). That's not negative - it's brilliantly done.

Why can't the Big Finish range expand on the original B7 universe, as long as it's being done with care and in a non-contradictory manner?
Edited by trevor travis on 21 February 2016 14:07:06

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

In which case why were you using the word 'retcon' as a negative and derogatory term?

Erm... I wasn't, and don't. It's a word I use all the time.

If you read my original posts on the matter, it's the retconning of Vila's backstory specifically that I dislike rather than the concept of retroactive continuity itself; ie I don't like anything to do with the story they have written around him in LC12. There's lots of retcon that I have enjoyed, and you already know that I'm pretty keen on retcon in nu-Who because I love all the constant back-referencing that you and GC don't like. Wink

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Why can't the Big Finish range expand on the original B7 universe, as long as it's being done with care and in a non-contradictory manner?

I wish they would!!

All the mums and dads turning up, instead of expanding the universe and meeting unrelated characters, is precisely the inwards looking attitude of Scott, Wright and company that I hold against releases like LC12...

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

I wish they would!!

All the mums and dads turning up, instead of expanding the universe and meeting unrelated characters, is precisely the inwards looking attitude of Scott, Wright and company that I hold against releases like LC12...

SD, the TV series established a tradition of meeting various relations of the crew (Cally's clone twin sister, Tarrant's big bro, Dayna's father and stepsister, Blake's uncle and cousin, etc).

Big Finish have simply maintained that tradition, at around the same strike rate.

BF have also created many other strong characters who are not related e.g. the President, Nyrron, Pol, Cullen, etc, plus bringing back the likes of Grant and Rontane.

Personally, I'm glad that we're in the middle of the second and (given that people are not getting any younger) last Golden Age of B7, with our favourite group of actors in their iconic roles, and can't wait until LC12, and the subsequent full cast audios.

Bring it on!
Edited by trevor travis on 21 February 2016 16:22:36

stoke_rob
I haven't bought Survivors on audio as yet, but I'm intending to.

Both Survivors and Torchwood have been superb. I am not a fan of the Torchwood TV series but the audios have been exceptional. Not a duff one yet IMO. Survivors is truly adult story telling, there is a lot of suspense and horror which is brilliantly done. I would recommend both wholeheartedly.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 21 February 2016 19:05:14
Rob Cope

http://www.colinbakeronline.com
Lentila
New expanded trailer for LC12! Really looking forward to it. Wonder when we'll get news about upcoming stuff...

Trailer

Hope that works ...

EDITED: To link to Trailer on Soundcloud
Edited by Travisina on 25 February 2016 18:43:01

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
9,932,747 unique visits since 8th January 2014