Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Liberator Chronicles vol. 12
Anniew
With machine guns strapped to her zimmer frame a la Cockneys vs Zombies.
. Give me a few more years and I'll be ideal for the role!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Shush.... David Warner is excellent as Vila's Dad. So glad he's back.

...Also, bumping into relatives is what the original series did as well e.g. Cally's twin, Tarrant's brother, Blake's Uncle and Kissing Cousin, Dayna's father and half-sister, etc. Big Finish are just maintaining the tradition...

David Warner is excellent, and the character he plays is fine; but the retconning of Vila's backstory is just too radical for me because it does not fit what I feel we see on screen in terms of Vila's personality, his relationships with the other members of the crew, and how he is viewed by Servalan and the authorities. If he were that high born then his resentment of the situation, and of being treated like dirt by Blake and Avon, would have manifested itself before the end of series 3; and the Federation would know too and fear his potential as a political figurehead, or else Blake's claims about the State being totalitarian really are an exaggeration, and he would be at least equal on the 'most wanted' list with Blake - but Servalan treats him in Moloch as an amusement and a distraction. Volume 9 was a major side-track into the AU nature of Big Finish's expanded universe for the show and just did not work for me. The writing was already on the wall for the LCs for me as a consumer, because I was truly enjoying only one story out of three in several of the collections; Volume 9 was no exception, as the only one I'm likely to relisten was the middle episode about the space station disaster. I'll follow new developments with interest of course, but I need to be won back.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

stoke_rob
Fair enough if you don't like Vila's back story. Personally I think it was a good pivot on which to spin Vila's story. Why would the Federation be bothered about Vila's parentage as he was illegitimate anyway with his Delta Grade mother and him spurned by his biological father. so certainly no threat to the Federation prior to joining Blake's crew, just a petty criminal. David Warner is as usual excellent as Tolvin Savac but the only problem I have is that Warner is now used so often in many ranges its a case of "Oh its David Warner again!" rather than thinking truly of the character. But I guess now he is Lisa Bowerman's partner he has a foot in the Big Finish camp so to speak.

On the subject of the Liberator Chronicles in general, there have only been a handful that I think have been below par. Most of the series has been firing on full thrusters as it were and I enjoy revisiting them regularly. It has been nice to have something other than the original 52 episodes to indulge in. I'll be sorry to see them go, but anxious to hear how the Blake's 7 universe will continue - and with whom. After all these years the re-emergence of Blake's 7 on audio has truly been a gift and I'm glad the licence has been renewed.
Rob Cope

http://www.colinbakeronline.com
Anniew
I've always thought that the Deltas had a status similar to the Indian Untouchable caste and so any offspring between an Alpha and a Delta would be written out of official history. I'm not sure if this chimes with the details given in Volume 9 cos it's some time since I listened to it.

trevor travis
stoke_rob wrote:
On the subject of the Liberator Chronicles in general, there have only been a handful that I think have been below par. Most of the series has been firing on full thrusters as it were and I enjoy revisiting them regularly. It has been nice to have something other than the original 52 episodes to indulge in. I'll be sorry to see them go, but anxious to hear how the Blake's 7 universe will continue - and with whom. After all these years the re-emergence of Blake's 7 on audio has truly been a gift and I'm glad the licence has been renewed.

I think the Liberator Chronicles has been a great series, with some truly outstanding stories and only the very occasional misfire.

It's certainly been wonderful being able to listen to brand new B7 again, while I've mostly enjoyed the new directions that the characters have been taken in.

We've had so little officially licensed new material since 1981, and it's tended to be rubbish such as the Barry Letts audios or the dreadful re-imagined stuff. Big Finish has been a very refreshing change, in that it seems to be made with people with a genuine love of the series, instead of those wanting to make a quick buck out of it and thinking you can fob off the fans with dire awfulness such as The Sevenfold Crown.

Yes, it is great news that the Big Finish licence has been renewed.
Edited by trevor travis on 13 February 2016 15:50:39

trevor travis
With the wonderful Libby Chronicles drawing to an end, what is everyone's favourite ten stories?

Mine are:

1. Three (5:3)
2. The Turing Test (1:1)
3. Spoils (8:3)
4. Incentive (6:1)
5. Logic (5:1)
6. President (8:1)
7. The Magnificent Four (2:1)
8. Secrets (9:3)
9. Poison (11:2)
10= Promises (4:1)
10= Wolf (2:3)

Very tough picking just ten - I cheated slightly in the end. Volume 7 (Spy, Disorder, The Hard Road) is one of my favourite volumes, but nothing quite made the top ten. I guess a lot of people will pick The Armageddon Storm as number 1, but I prefer the more character-based stuff.
Edited by trevor travis on 13 February 2016 18:43:52

trevor travis
OK, my top 10 has become a top 15 Grin

1. Three (5:3)
2. The Turing Test (1:1)
3. Spoils (8:3)
4. Incentive (6:1)
5. Logic (5:1)
6. President (8:1)
7. The Magnificent Four (2:1)
8. Secrets (9:3)
9. Poison (11:2)
10. Promises (4:1)
11. Wolf (2:3)
12. The Hard Road (7:3)
13. Disorder (7:2)
14. False Positive (2:2)
15. Jenna's Story (6:2)

Hmmm, but I also like Solitary, Counterfeit, The Armageddon Storm (in particular, Part 2), Risk Management and Retribution... might have to become a top 20 Wink
Edited by trevor travis on 13 February 2016 19:04:22

Spaceship Dispatcher
I don't have ten favourites, but here is my top six with an honorable mention to four others that I enjoyed to round it up:

(in release order)

The Armageddon Storm
Logic
Three
President
Planetfall
Velandra

Promises, The Hard Road, Retribution and Ministry of Peace
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis
Which means Logic, Three and President MUST be really good, because both SD and myself both rate them in our top six and we don't agree on anything Grin Grin Grin

stoke_rob
Not sure I want to commit to a list but as far as my favourite stories from the Liberator Chronicles are concerned, I have to say "The Armageddon Storm" is one that I have returned to the most. I think the extended storyline and the sense of urgency in the mission creates a pretty gripping trilogy. "Three" is another firm favourite, possibly the best script Jacqueline Pearce has ever had for Servalan and she rises to the occasion magnificently. Sends chills up my spine every time I listen. Similarly "Logic" has a great guest appearance by Louise Jameson, and is a strong script. Strangely I was not that gripped by "Jenna's Story" or "Blake's Story" despite always wondering what had happened when they left the Liberator. Gareth is very good in "False Positive" and I like the script to "The Magnificent Four", again a story that keeps up the momentum right to the very end. The trilogy of "Defector / Planetfall / Secrets" I found a great ride too.

In truth I haven't hated any of the stories in the range, some are stronger than others but they have all allowed the regular crew a chance to shine at one time or another. I hope that whatever replaces this range for B7 fans has the same high standards.
Rob Cope

http://www.colinbakeronline.com
BradPaula
I have loved most of the Blake's 7 range from Big Finish and only disliked a few of them. My favorites are of course, LC#3 Armageddon Storm and LC#9- probably my real favorite of the range with Defector with Tarrant and Grant and Secrets, where we meet Vila's dad. Other favorites is Logic from LC#5 with Louise Jameson, Three, from LC#8, Disorder from LC#7, and the excellent Spoils from LC#8.

The least favorite of mine have to be Epitaph from LC#4, Jenna's Story and Blake's Story from LC#6 and all of LC#10.

Having lived through the lean years of Blake's 7 fandom, I am hesitant to complain too loudly as what we have now from Big Finish is top notch and even the stories I'm not in love with are still good in their own way.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

dragonq
I've enjoyed most of the stories in the Liberator Chronicles, and in fact, am currently relistening to some of them. I really liked Logic, and President (Jacqueline Pearce has been really well served with scripts, as Three was also good). These stories are effectively two handers, with more focus on characterisation and less bridging narrative, which I think contributes to their success. One of the highlights of the series was bringing back Del Grant, which I think was a stroke of genius. He really added something to the mix, and the episodes he's been in are also among my favourites.

The only story I actively disliked was "Brother" from set 11, which I thought had an extremely silly script that seemed to bear little relation to Blake's 7 as I know it. (I also heaved a groan when Nyrron bobbed up in it yet again; I am completely over him as a guest character.) There were others that were pretty ordinary, such as Velandra. But there are far fewer duds in the audios than there were in the television show, which I think is a tribute to the Big Finish producers.

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

The least favorite of mine have to be... all of LC#10...

Volume 10 was the only set where I liked all three episodes, and put all of them in my 'top ten' Grin Grin

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

The least favorite of mine have to be... all of LC#10...

Volume 10 was the only set where I liked all three episodes, and put all of them in my 'top ten' Grin Grin

You would Grin

I concentrated on what I liked rather than my least favourites to keep the thread positive. But, if pressed, I would agree with Paula with volume 10 is the weakest volume. The stuff on there isn't bad, but it just doesn't stand out. My least favourite single stories are Epitaph (4.2) and The Sea Of Iron (8.2). In fact, I would prefer if Marc Platt and Scott Harrison were kept away from the range, because they don't 'get' B7. Every other writer has been good.

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

I have loved most of the Blake's 7 range from Big Finish and only disliked a few of them. My favorites are of course, LC#3 Armageddon Storm and LC#9- probably my real favorite of the range with Defector with Tarrant and Grant and Secrets, where we meet Vila's dad. Other favorites is Logic from LC#5 with Louise Jameson, Three, from LC#8, Disorder from LC#7, and the excellent Spoils from LC#8.

The least favorite of mine have to be Epitaph from LC#4, Jenna's Story and Blake's Story from LC#6 and all of LC#10.

Having lived through the lean years of Blake's 7 fandom, I am hesitant to complain too loudly as what we have now from Big Finish is top notch and even the stories I'm not in love with are still good in their own way.

Paula, I agree with much of your list, and echo your comments about the Big Finish range being top notch.

I do like Jenna's Story, though. Maybe not the ending, which is slightly too predictable (it would have been nice to have a last-minute twist), but the rest of it is good. Sally has been superb (I love when she plays the Jenna she always wanted to in Warship), but unfortunate not blessed with the best audios. I consider Jenna's Story to be one of the stronger releases involving her.

Anniew
I would too! Well nearly. Not so keen on Velandra but Retribution and Ministry of Peace are excellent B7 stories! I agree with Dragonq that Brother was a disappointment - Nyrond irritated me and Avon was too bat crazy. Loved the Armageddon Storm, the Turin Test, Logic - oh so many stories! And I really enjoyed the Jenna/Avon two hander Remnants .

dragonq
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Shush.... David Warner is excellent as Vila's Dad. So glad he's back.

...Also, bumping into relatives is what the original series did as well e.g. Cally's twin, Tarrant's brother, Blake's Uncle and Kissing Cousin, Dayna's father and half-sister, etc. Big Finish are just maintaining the tradition...

David Warner is excellent, and the character he plays is fine; but the retconning of Vila's backstory is just too radical for me because it does not fit what I feel we see on screen in terms of Vila's personality, his relationships with the other members of the crew, and how he is viewed by Servalan and the authorities.

This was pretty much my reaction as well. (I can cope with the bumping into relatives; yes, it is unlikely, but it's par for the course with the show.) What I really, really disliked was the fact that Vila, who is the only Delta grade character in the show, can't be just a lowly Delta grade thief, but turns out to have a father who is a planetary governor. I've personally always thought that Vila probably came from a very racketty family, with dad a con artist or small-time thief (probably off the scene—could have been sent off to a Cygnus Alpha equivalent, or just skipped it with a new girlfriend), and mum a bit of a good-time girl, flipping from one man to the next, or even someone not unlike Chenie in Gambit. Honestly, when I listened to the audios, it was like straying out of Blake's 7 into Oliver Twist. Having said that, I have just listened to them the second time and, being prepared, enjoyed the stories and performances much more (I really loved the bit when they went to the arms market). David Warner is very good in the part, however improbable I find the character. I will be interested to hear the forthcoming finale and see what happens with him.

dragonq
And another thing I will say about the Liberator Chronicles—i can't say it is a criticism, because it happens in the TV show as well—you end up with writers who get the complexities of Vila's character, and writers who treat him as just a lame comedy drunk.

guiser
Bit of a spread of opinion, I see!

The audios that I most enjoyed were (in order of release)Turing Test, Counterfeit, Magnificent 4, Wolf, Kerr, Three, Incentive, Spoils, Velandra and The Hard Road/Spy. I think I tend to favour darker than average audios with clever twists, character interest, and/or an element of ambiguity!

I'm not too sure why I like Velandra much more than most. Maybe, because I was suspicious of the reality of Blake's memories from the get-go and due to my aforementioned love of ambiguity? Also, it does feature Blake prominently so there is that! Grin

Least liked audios are probably Epitaph (don't like "family" stories), President (not interested in the character or prominent audio-only characters in general), Jenna's Story, Blake's Story. The latter 2 audios do not reflect the way I see the characters and I was hoping for more in terms of audios covering "the lost years"! Also, I'm not too keen on how Messers Scott and Wright see Vila either. So that is another "meh" reaction for the Vila backstory.

It does strike me that my problem with prominent audio-only characters (which diminishes the appeal of the otherwise great Logic) bodes ill for my likely reaction to any recasting of the regulars.

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Paula, I agree with much of your list, and echo your comments about the Big Finish range being top notch.

I do like Jenna's Story, though. Maybe not the ending, which is slightly too predictable (it would have been nice to have a last-minute twist), but the rest of it is good. Sally has been superb (I love when she plays the Jenna she always wanted to in Warship), but unfortunate not blessed with the best audios. I consider Jenna's Story to be one of the stronger releases involving her.

Pretty much in lock-step with you on the audios, TT. The only reason Jenna's Story stands out to me is that was the story we listened to in the car on the way to Dimension's con, right? The one where I flat out said Jenna did not blow herself up to get away from the Federation blockade? Yes, it's memorable because of that trip! And very much love Sally in the audios. That's how Jenna should have been.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
9,816,795 unique visits since 8th January 2014