Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Script final drafts/shooting scripts
aralias
Not sure where to put this, but hopefully it's OK here -

I've just bought (and received) a copy of the 'Pressure Point' script from Jim&Melody's website. It's not anything particularly exciting as an object (i.e. it's not the original script as used by Gareth Thomas or anything like that. It's a multi-generational photocopy/v difficult to read in some places), except that it's very different from what was shown on screen. I've also seen the Cygnus Alpha (i.e. 'The Way Back'Wink script (which is actually less interesting/less changed from what we saw on screen, despite having a completely different name). Fascinating stuff from a character POV (e.g. Avon [unironically] says 'You have a shrewdness that sometimes surprises me, Blake.' and actively calls himself the 'Heir Apparent' to the Liberator on the same page) Previously I'd just been piecing together script changes from Trevor Hoyle's books and Steven Pacey's interview tapes.

A few questions:

1. Are other early draft scripts available anywhere, either online or as printed 'zine' type deals? Happy to buy them, as though it seems a bit 20thC fandom to get photocopies at this stage!

2. We obviously have transcripts of the episodes online in multiple locations. How do people feel about these old scripts being online? Is there a reason they aren't already? I would find it completely understandable if they aren't online because someone had to do a lot of work to find them from a bin, or someone got permission to replicate them in a certain way and sell them in a certain context. Is this the case?

Obviously I would prefer it if they were online, if possible. Given that we/the BBC have already tacitly accepted the transcripts being online, it seems reasonable that the original scripts might be as well.

3. If and only if there are no negative answers to point 2 above, would anyone be interested in a transcript/set of scans of 'Pressure Point' and/or 'Cygnus Alpha' (aka the Way Back)?

mrsbookmark
I would be really, really interested in script drafts. That kind of thing fascinates me.

trevor travis
I guess there is probably a case of copyright on direct photocopies of a script / draft script. Once you had the permission of the writer, it would be fine, though.

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

Once you had the permission of the writer, it would be fine, though.

Not necessarily - the copyright could be held by the production company, rather than a staff or hired writer.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

aralias
Is a script (that was never shown) different from the transcript, though? I know Horizon was considering hosting transcripts, so my question is - is that different from the script?

Obviously from a pure and simple POV, it is definitely someone else's copyright and not mine to distribute. If the BBC actively wanted them online they would put them up. However - you could say the same about any official photo of Avon, etc. Theoretically people shouldn't even be selling photocopies.

They might not mind if it happened - they seem to be most worried about the videos, which they are selling.

trevor travis
aralias wrote:

Is a script (that was never shown) different from the transcript, though? I know Horizon was considering hosting transcripts, so my question is - is that different from the script?

Obviously from a pure and simple POV, it is definitely someone else's copyright and not mine to distribute. If the BBC actively wanted them online they would put them up. However - you could say the same about any official photo of Avon, etc. Theoretically people shouldn't even be selling photocopies.

They might not mind if it happened - they seem to be most worried about the videos, which they are selling.

A transcript isn't a direct reproduction of a document. Plus transcripts pop up a few days after the episode these days. Nobody's that bothered about them. *

Photocopying an actual document and reproducing it on the internet is a step further. I would say the courtesy would be to gain the approval of the writer (or production company if it was the final transmitted script).

* However, that said, looking at the copyright line on the B7 transcripts, (e.g. Script for Blake by Chris Boucher (c) 1981 by the British Broadcasting Corporation. Series created by Terry Nation. This is a complete dialogue transcript for research purposes and is not for sale under any circumstances. Format (c) 1992 by Micky DuPree and Betsy Ramsey), I get the impression that someone did check with the BBC.
Edited by trevor travis on 08 January 2016 14:10:54

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:
looking at the copyright line on the B7 transcripts, (e.g. Script for Blake by Chris Boucher (c) 1981 by the British Broadcasting Corporation. Series created by Terry Nation. This is a complete dialogue transcript for research purposes and is not for sale under any circumstances. Format (c) 1992 by Micky DuPree and Betsy Ramsey), I get the impression that someone did check with the BBC.

I seem to remember that was meant as a bit of a figleaf, just in case someone official did start to jump up and down about the transcripts.

Anniew
Joe - realise this is derailing the thread but I just wanted to say how brilliant your gif avatar is. It's such a revealing insight into what happened to Avon over the series! Thanks.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.45 seconds
9,486,110 unique visits since 8th January 2014