Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
January 2016 fanfic challenge
Anniew
Write it anyway Travisina

Oh you had! Swear it wasn't there when I posted but what a great story. I like Avon as a disappointed beta better than a black sheep prince!

And Paula...what an original interpretation of the prompt. Very refreshing to read a story
About those working for and betrayed by the Federation and Servalan.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
@Paula - terrific, action packed story!

@Annie & Littlesue - great minds think alike! Annie, your black sheep story is excellent and Littlesue, write yours anyway!
And well done, Annie, on keeping to the word count - that in itself is quite a challenge.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Mistletoe12
@ Annie, Brad, Lurena, TT, Travisina, Paula: Great, funny, chilling, clever and interesting stories. What stood out the most for me is the disturbing ending in Annie's recent story; the pleasure the interrogators will have at Avon's expense - all you need to know about their mindset.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Write it anyway Travisina! And I hope you've noticed that I've kept scrupulously to the 500 limit. ( well maybe ten or so over - I've not obsessed too much). So proud of myself but to be honest I've only achieved it because of what I've learned from your editing! 'Does that make sense ?'and 'Do I need to include it?' have become my mantras!

I was a good boy as well. I kept to 500 words with my Alpha story (think I might have gone 5 words over), but I managed to keep it concise. Wink

Blimey, everyone is so keen this month! I will get around to reading everyone else's stories, during a quiet period at work tomorrow Wink

Anniew
Do you think Og will bring us an adrenaline and soma to reward us TT cos we've been soooo good?

Travisina
Anniew wrote:

Do you think Og will bring us an adrenaline and soma to reward us TT cos we've been soooo good?

Adrenaline and somas all round!

Anniew
Make mine a large one!

littlesue
I am trying to be good, honest!
I think one of the stories is just over 500. As soon as Lurena finishes her drawing for me I shall upload it.
Meanwhile, that bottle of Jacobs Creek is still going strong..........................................
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Make mine a large one!

Annie, would you like the Adrenalin & Soma to be a large one as well? Grin

Anniew
Trevor you're a very naughty boy!!

BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

Anniew wrote:

We'll hold you to that promise at Cygnus Alpha 2.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Anniew wrote:

We'll hold you to that promise at Cygnus Alpha 2.

Absolutely! I'm sooooo looking forward to it!

Anniew
I'm Soo looking forward to it tooxx

purplecleric
It's a lovely lazy Sunday and I'm sat with a pot of fresh coffee and enjoying catching up with this thread. As ever I'm astonished by the variety and volume of the responses to the prompts.

@Hugbot - your stories stretch my imagination and challenge me to consider such interesting concepts. This was no exception. It's a thought- provoking take on the contradictory but complementary natures of Blake & Avon.

@Anniew - I rather like the idea of Avon as a lizard! You characterize him very well. This reminds me of the Alien Grey theories.

@JustBrad - I love it when we get reminders of what a smart and successful smuggler Jenna was and you always deliver.

@Lurena - the alpha male strikes again! love the crossover with H2G2.

@trevortravis - intriguing idea, especially when considering Shadow and the existence of puppeteers, and neatly written.

@Anniew (again!) - ah, yes. The danger of any analysis is the analyser.

@Travisina - I can see how the Beta status could really gall Avon and fuel his ambitions.

@BradPaul - another thrilling piece of action and a clever acronym. This made me think of Starship Troopers for some reason.

Ellen York
Travisina wrote:

Anniew wrote:

I'm going to have to get on the ball to earn my A&S. Inspiration is a bit hit or miss for me and lately has been consistently a miss. If anyone finds a stray muse, please send her home; I've no idea where she has gotten to this time.

I've been a bit slack on commenting this month, but am enjoying all the stories. Such a talented bunch we have here. Smile

littlesue
Well, here goes.
Sorry about the delay, I've been waiting for my muse to create one of her piccies...................

Sound of Silence

It was a strange, haunting sound.
A melody of infinite beauty echoing around the Flight Deck of the Liberator.
But Jenna could not hear it.
+Fascinating+ Orac declared.
“Where are the others, Orac?” Jenna asked.
+They have gone to investigate the source. +
“What source?”
But Orac had returned to its study.
Then Cally’s voice drifted over the intercom.
“Jenna, you need to come to the Teleport section. It seems that Gan has been left behind…”

“All I know is that Orac picked something up and relayed it to the others. They immediately set course to this planet and asked me to teleport them down,” Gan explained.
“Relayed what?” Cally asked.
“A sound of some sort. I couldn’t hear it; I still can’t. Maybe my limiter is malfunctioning again…”
“Perhaps you should be grateful on this occasion,” Jenna said, “Orac is completely besotted by this sound. Can you hear anything Cally?”
She shook her head.
“Do you still have the coordinates Gan?”
“Yes, they asked me to wait. For what though?”
“That’s what Cally and I intend to find out. Put us down, Gan.”

“What is this place?” Cally asked as the swirling mist parted to reveal a graveyard of ships.
Jenna held the scanner out in front of her, “This way. It seems they are up ahead…”

i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/smallwondersue/jan%202016_zpstntoisze.jpg

Blake, Avon and Vila were standing on the rim of a circular, gaping hole. Below them was a deep, dark void and from somewhere in the seemingly bottomless pit came the beautiful, hypnotic sound.
Not music.
But a beguiling melody.
“It wants us to go down there,” Blake murmured.
“So it does…” Avon replied.
“Should we?” Vila ventured.
“Why not?” Blake said.
“Because that’s exactly what this thing wants,” Jenna declared.
All three men looked up to see Cally and Jenna standing on the opposite side of the rim.
“If the crash didn’t kill you, then this would,” Jenna continued.
“It is most fortunate that the Liberator is not capable of a surface landing,” Cally put in, “Jenna and I have seen the results.”
“Results?” Blake asked dreamily.
“These ships were drawn here, Blake,” Jenna began, “Their crews heard whatever you are hearing and came in response. And they crashed.”
Avon just smiled.
Vila seemed mesmerised.
Jenna was speaking into her communicator again, trying to tear Orac away from its research…
… Finally, Orac responded….
“This is a weapon, Cally,” Jenna explained raising her gun, “An ancient weapon deployed by whoever occupied this planet.”
“And this sound; the one we can’t hear? What is it?”
“Orac likens it to an Old World Legend of the Sirens; creatures that lured sailors to their doom by means of a beautiful song. All we have to do is change its tune …and that means firing into the chamber of this thing.”
“What?”
“Aim for the walls. A few well-placed holes will do the trick…”

“And you couldn’t hear anything?” Blake asked, taking the proffered drink from Gan.
“No,” Gan replied, “and neither could Cally or Jenna.”
“So, if it hadn’t been for them…” Vila began.
“It seems we have to thank you for saving our lives,” Avon stated.
Cally smiled at Jenna, “Now that is…”
“….music to our ears,” Jenna concurred.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

JustBrad
LS: Excellent adaptation of the Siren Myth.

Anniew
Nice story and illustration Sue and Lurena. Really enjoyed it! Loved the fact it was Gan, Jenna and Cally that saved the day!

winnie-l
POSSIBLY RELEVANT(?): Heard on Radio4 this morning:

There are really only 2 basic stories:

"This person went on a journey...."

and

"A stranger came to town...."

(of course the 2 often become one - the person on a journey becomes the stranger who came to some other town...)

Amusing? Food for thought?

Travisina
Relevant and interesting, winnie-l. Those generalisations can apply to any genre from Westerns, Crime, SF, Fantasy, Bronte Sisters...

In SF the stranger could be an alien, in Crime it's the serial killer (or Jack Reacher!), most Fantasy tales involve epic journeys, etc.

What R4 programme was it on - is there a podcast?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,937,111 unique visits since 8th January 2014