Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
January 2016 fanfic challenge
Hugbot
Metaphysical Fiasco

I am the Alpha and the Omega.

I am Merlin, living backwards through time.

The Federation troopers shot me on Gauda Prime. That’s how I came to life. A few minutes later, I shot Blake in wrath, thinking that he had led me into a trap and was responsible for my painful death-birth. Then I led a group of rebels/criminals against the Federation. I made many mistakes, but the farther I got away from my death, the more sober my mind became. If this had continued, we could have made a difference. But then this Blake guy arrived and took over. He was as bad a leader as I was in the beginning. I reprimanded him for exactly the same mistakes that I had made, thus reprimanding my own former/future self.

Eventually, we broke up. No more rebellion. Just some private scams. A short interlude as a respected citizen. A horrible youth and childhood. I became unborn, crawling back into my mother’s womb. Fading away, I became a naked soul.

Then I was born again. This time forwards.

I had been an Alpha. I was an Alpha again. The experience of my former miserable Alpha life let me despise the Alpha ways. I rebelled, was brainwashed, was awoken, and rebelled again. I gathered a group of criminals around me. They all seemed to be vaguely familiar. Especially the one guy who always criticised me. Deep in my heart, I knew that he was right. Of course, I had no memories of my former life, but it had left its marks on my soul. Not knowing what I did, I tried to be a better leader than before, but failed, repeating my former mistakes.

Eventually, I left the group. I wanted to do something new without already having experienced the outcome in a former life. I wanted to be free of his omniscient presence. It didn’t go well. Without his subtle guidance, I blundered along in an even more disastrous way.

Then me met again. I saw the confusion on his face due to the agony of his imminent death that his soul had already experienced a few minutes ago. I could have changed everything by giving the appropriate answers instead of talking ambiguous nonsense. But I didn’t. In an act of penance, I let him shoot me. I let myself kill myself.

I am a naked soul again. I know how I will come to life again.

I have come full circle.

I am the Omega.

Travisina
Hugbot, that's amazing! I love ouroboros stories, even though they can sometimes do my head in.

BTW, in case I seemed a bit harsh earlier regarding ficlet lengths:
If Purplecleric's prompts inspire any of you to write longer stories, I'd be very happy to receive them as normal submissions. PM me for details on how to send them.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Mistletoe12
Oh, thanks everyone for all the great comments re: Boom. I really appreciate it!

@ Travisina: I will try to maintain the 500 word count, not least because the words "rigourous editing" is enough to keep me in line. Grin

@ Hugbot - Metaphysical Fiasco: What are you doing to my fuzzy head? LOL. I liked it though!

@ TT - Now all caught up - Intriguing! Great Soolin characterisation.

@ Annie - I should have added how much I love to write and read anything playing with psychology in stories, that's why your contribution appealed to me; that and there's a lot more to delve into where Dayna's concerned.

@ Meegat - I look forward to reading more stories from you (loved your advent contribution.)

@ JustBrad: Oh, dear god, yes! Watching Benny Hill as a child! It all comes screaming back; that and the dreadful fare on offer Saturday eveings. And now I have the Benny Hill tune running around in my head too!

@ PC: Avon's fun things to do in the cold list wouldn't include fighting his clone, would possibly include hot chocolate with mallows and would a require a plot exceeding PG13 - which I won't be doing here!!!Angry

Anniew
Ooh Mistletoe! Hot chocolate, marshmallows, cold, Avon, mmmmmm. By the by I also agree that Dayna has much more darkness and depth than we are usually shown. In psychopath terms she's Avon's equal!

And Hugbot, that is both imaginative, disturbing, enjoyable and a tiny bit baffling! Is Merlin a hybrid? A Blake/ Avon amalgam who Phoenix like kills itself in order to be reborn?
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

meegat39
Hugbot! A very clever story. Avon's life backwards then he was born as Blake and lived it forwards? I think??
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

peladon
Nice one Hugbot! Much enjoyed.

Anniew
"I know Alphas! I've robbed enough of them in my time. I tell you Jenna, he's no Alpha."

" So what gave me away?" The sarcastic tones of the Liberator's Computer Tec sliced through the stale, close atmosphere of the flight deck like shards of crystal and Vila jumped as if he'd been cut.

"Ah, Avon," he bleated nervously, "I didn't see you there...I..."

Avon unpeeled himself from the doorway where he had lounged unseen and sat himself neatly on the couch facing the others.

"Obviously. You were simply enjoying a little gossip with Jenna here about my origins Does our lady pilot agree with your assessment?"

"Don't start on me, Avon. I'm just quietly completing my shift. I'm hardly responsible for the idiocies the ship's fool chooses to indulge in, so leave me out of your squabbles." Jenna's contempt for both men was palpable but it roused no anger in Avon. He merely stared at her incuriously until she lowered her gaze.

"Hardly," he agreed quietly. "But at the risk of repeating myself I ask again. Do you share his opinion?"

"That you're no Alpha? Since you ask, yes I do!"

"Why?"

"I don't know...something about you. You speak like an Alpha, you have the manners of an Alpha but it's all a little too perfect somehow."

"Ah...Avon!" Vila was apprehensive, expecting some sort of massive sulk from Avon, which he knew could last for days. " Don't listen to us...we've probably got it wrong..."

"As it happens, you are right, Vila. That must be a comfort to you since it occurs so seldom."

"What you're..?"

"Not an Alpha..." Avon leaned back against the couch a picture of repressed composure and Vila was so surprised by the admission he blurted out,

"So...if you're not an Alpha what are you?"

"That's something you'll have to figure out for yourself, I'm afraid. Now, I believe my watch has started. And I believe I'd prefer to hold it alone."

"Be my guest..." Jenna shrugged and gracefully rose from her seat. "Come Vila, we'll leave our mystery man to enjoy his own company ."

As they left the flight deck, Vila's voice came floating back," Well he's not a Beta...too self assured and if he's a Delta he's an amazing mimic. I reckon he's an alien, Jenna. Probably a shape changing lizard, checking us out before invading..."

"He's cold blooded enough..." The voices faded and the only sound in the room was the faintest buzzing from Orac as it indulged itself in private research.

Avon settled himself more comfortably, allowing the faintest smile to curve his lips. What would their reaction be, he wondered, if they ever learned that, as a member of the ruling elite, albeit one of the blackest of its black sheep, he had been brought up to despise Alphas? And that they would have had a greater chance of understanding him if he was indeed a lizard.
Edited by Anniew on 04 January 2016 08:23:31

meegat39
Oh lovely Annie! I can see Avon as a black sheep of the "ruling elite", great idea. I love the way you describe him, his mannerisms...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

littlesue
Having at long last a chance to catch up with all the posts.
All so very good...and complicated. Hugbot; I'm still trying to get my head round it!!! Maybe when the wine runs out...
@Anniew. I've also thought of Avon as the black sheep of the family.
And fireworks! Oh yes, I can just see their faces...
And will we finally meet Soolin's black gloved 'friend' TT?
As for the Double Decker Bus....I've now got the Double Deckers theme and Summer Holiday in my head...as well as Benny Hill!!!!
Where are those tablets???
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

JustBrad
Alphas

Blake sighed. “I don't like it. Jenna is alone and unarmed on that abandoned refueling station.”

Avon replied, “With one million credits worth of gems, but we need those focusing crystals if I am to repair the targeting system, and this smuggler will only deal with Jenna one on one.”

Blake said, “We should move to teleport range.”

Avon frowned. “I cannot guarantee we are outside sensor range even now. We have to wait here."

+Information. Long range scan indicates a shuttle on approach vector to the station. Only one life form detected, no energy weapons register+

Jenna waited in the control room. The airlock hissed as the seals released. A man stepped through bearing a broad smile and a briefcase. “Jenna, you have my payment?”

Jenna hefted a small pouch. “And you have my crystals, Dravon. I scanned them as you came through the airlock. Let's finish our business.”

The man pulled a large knife from the briefcase. “I'm afraid not. Now, prepare a docking bay.”

+Information. Federation Pursuit Ship on high speed approach vector to station+

Blake's head snapped around. “What? Avon, take the controls. Get us into teleport range, NOW!”

Avon growled. “I'll try. I'm not actually a pilot.”

Blake stormed into the teleport bay. “Any word from Jenna?”

“No.” Vila yawned. “What's wrong?”

Avon's voice crackled over the intercom. “Blake, the Pursuit Ship has already docked.”

Blake drew his Liberator sidearm. “Vila, put me across.”

“With a Pursuit Ship docked?” Vila fumbled setting the coordinates.

Blake growled. “Vila, just do it. Jenna needs help.”

The intercom crackled again. “Liberator, this is Jenna. Bring me up.”

Blake nodded to Vila and leveled his weapon at the teleport bay. When Jenna materialized alone, wearing a respirator, he lowered the firearm. “Jenna! Do you have the crystals?”

Jenna tossed a pouch to Blake. “And our payment. And I'm fine, thanks for asking.”

Blake moved to the intercom. “Avon, get us out of here, Standard by twelve.”

Avon's voice answered, “Certainly. Care to tell me how?”

Jenna replied, “No hurry.”

Blake spun around. “Why not?”

Jenna removed the respirator. “Dravon made me operate the docking controls, but when the Feds opened their inner hatch, I vented the airlock. They'll have their hands full not suffocating.”

Blake puzzled. "Didn't the safeties kick in?"

Jenna smiled. "I disabled them as soon as I arrived. Never liked Dravon."

Blake stood gape mouthed. “That was... dangerous.”

Vila grinned. “And clever. Where did you get the fancy knife, Jenna?”

She glanced to the blade under her belt. “It's not well balanced. Hard to hold onto when a small station wobbles suddenly because an air lock is venting just as you're being hit in the face with a bag full of diamonds.”

She sauntered away. “I'd better get to the flight deck before Avon damages my engines.”

Blake waited until she was out of earshot. “I don't believe it.”

“Why not?” Vila asked. “She's used to scoundrels, and if you forgot, she's an Alpha, too.”
Edited by JustBrad on 05 January 2016 02:43:47

Lurena
Great contributions! Clever stories, I don't know what to say more....
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
I could not resist; the guide may come from an outer space planet, so translation may not be correct.

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the B7 Universe

Down time...

All of the crew, except Avon, sat down at the forward couches whiling away the time.
Suddenly Vila started to chuckle over an obvious funny book.
i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/neoantares/HF/Vila%20jan2016.jpg
“Listen”, he said, “ hear what I’ve found in this traveller’s handbook and tell me who fits perfectly in with this advice. He laughed and read aloud:

Advice for a group trip to the planet Virn

Women: try to avoid the planet Virn.

Men: try to be an Alpha male.

The alpha male is not only to be found among animals, but is also present among humans.
Consider the following traits and how to get there:

1 Alpha Male: confidence!

It will not surprise you that such an alpha guy needs a lot of self-confidence.
This is about your inner self and is, for example, in the process of flirting a huge stumbling block for many men.

Remember that during the flirtation you try to suppress your feelings, just because you are doing something you never learned in society.
Never trust your feelings and instead of thinking you should just act.

The I-am-the-price-attitude also shows an enormous amount of self-confidence, keep this always in your mind.
Think of what your short and long-term goals are; how ' handsome' you are and that you do this for the reason that you want to remain the dominant male.
You'll have to cultivate self-confidence!

2 Alpha Male: Humour

An Alpha Male has a great sense of humour. This is also evident in his smile. He can laugh about things and let his companions laugh. People therefore find it fun to hang around with him.

The Alpha Male is not concerned about whether they like his humour or not. If they do not like it, he will be laughing to himself anyhow. So it is important not to do funny so that people around you will have fun.

3 Alpha Male: People join well with him

An Alpha Male is not afraid to approach people and bind. In addition, people should be grateful and happy when they are approached by the alpha male.

He is not afraid to start a conversation and to proclaim his opinion.
Hence there will be people against him; he so totally does not care about that;
and there will be people who support him and like to join him.

This is an important factor, because people will see that you're not an insignificant person.

4 Alpha Male: Considered to be the focal point of the social situation

An Alpha Male goes to places where everyone knows him. Anyone can say hello to him or start a chat. Everyone knows that he exists, because he is the focus of attention.
Generate this attention yourself by showing that you are of higher value.

They all burst out laughing, but got interrupted by the sudden sound of a dark voice:

“Humour is the pursuit of a gentle grin, usually in solitude. I think you still need a lot of exercise…
Down time is over and being the dominant male, I command our destination.
Zen! Set course…”

Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
trevor travis
RUSSIAN DOLLS

Servalan looked around the opulent room. The President certainly liked his office to be just a little grander than that of anyone else.

“Thank you for granting me this audience, Lord President.” They were firm political rivals, but polite dialogue was maintained. Often with threats behind the politeness.

“Not at all, Supreme Commander. I feel it was a necessity, after your… ahem… discovery.” The President’s delivery was as suave as ever. Servalan wasn’t fooled for a moment.

“I assume we are talking about the Alpha grades.”

“Yes indeed.”

“It’s certainly something of a revelation. I have a question, however.”

The President peered at her, poised for deflection, if necessary. “Which is?”

“The grade status of Blake and his crew.”

“Oh, that I can reveal to you. Alpha – all of them. Well apart from the Auron, but that is not an issue.”

“Even Vila Restal?”

“Yes. He pretends to be a Delta grade, but he bought that classification. Vila Restal is, in reality, a very well connected individual. Now then, I feel we must discuss what you have discovered in more detail. Needless to say, it is top secret.”

“Have the selected candidates been thoroughly tested?”

The puppeteer swung around in his chair. “Yes, Madam President.”

“Excellent. And everything is planned out?”

“Why, of course, Madam President. Chevron will put on false trial, and sentenced to Calcos. En route, he will escape onto the alien spaceship we have acquired, and then….”

“Very well.” Servalan cut him off in mid-sentence.

She had heard enough. And she remembered the words of her predecessor from that conversation from long ago. “You see, Supreme Commander”, he had stated. “Alpha is thought to be a grading classification. It is not. It actually refers to the people we have under our control. And for complete control, it’s important that we control everything, and that includes the resistance. It gives the rest of the populace something to believe in. Falsely believe in. For a while. And then we allow the resistors to discredit themselves and they must be replaced. Meanwhile, a little more hope is dashed.”

Servalan mused whether this new band of rebels would be as fun to deal with as Blake and Avon, particularly the latter. “Here’s to complete control”, she murmured under her breath.

He watched her on his monitor and stifled a giggle. The man would have been described by Servalan as ‘the ex-president’, but that wasn’t quite true.

“Yes, I must have control complete. And that includes the High Council and our police force.”

He continued to talk to himself. He often did that, as there were many secrets that only he could know. “You see Servalan, you are also an Alpha, doing my bidding. Your story is rather too bizarre to be true – your rise to President, your hiding in plain sight as Commissioner Sleer after being deposed, and your subsequent reinstatement to the Presidency. An absurd, impossible story, yet thanks to your conditioning, you never questioned it.”

He chuckled and turned off the screen.
Edited by trevor travis on 05 January 2016 12:49:24

Anniew
Treats! Great Jenna story,Brad, LOL Lurena!, chillingly plausible tale TT especially after Shadow.
New Year, new challenges and the standard gets higher. Grin

Anniew
I learned the other day that there is a model used by financiers to assess the viability of investment opportunities. It's called the Alpha. So I just had to write this.

Bare feet. Odd that having bare feet should make him feel so vulnerable. Standard Federation coverall. Not much pain. They must have administered some rough first aid while he was out of it because his only significant discomfort is a headache. He's thirsty of course but that's to be expected. All he can do is wait until they come for him.

He doesn't dwell on the consequences. He assumes they are all dead and if they're not, well he'll discover that in time. In fact- better if they are all dead. What lies ahead is going to be unpleasant and will probably end with a public execution. He is sorry that it has come to this: it shouldn't have, but they all knew the risks.

Except he didn't. He miscalculated. Just as he had miscalculated when he set up his bank fraud. He doesn't blame himself. The Alpha for both operations had indicated success - the performance outcomes, allowing for both anticipated and volatile risk factors, highly favourable. The shooting down of Scorpio is proof of that. Yes, he had reasoned that there would be a challenge from the blockading ships before they attacked and that this would give them time to out-run them but when they fired without warning his calculations had still held. Tarrant had proved a good enough pilot to keep the ship from breaking up so they could teleport out and his own foresight in strapping down Orac had ensured it was not damaged and that he still had a bargaining chip.

On the basis of his analysis he had judged it safe to proceed with his plans, with the reasonable expectation that the return on his investment would finally afford him the safety he craved. The fact that in both cases there was a risk element he couldn't have guessed was hardly his fault. Anna's treachery in the first, and in the second...well...

Ever since Orac had informed them that Blake was operating as a bounty hunter, the possibility that he had been captured, re- conditioned and was being run by the Federation was an obvious one. He had been prepared for it. What he had not anticipated was the uprush of horror he felt when Tarrant announced that Blake had betrayed them, "even you, Avon." He had not factored in the volatility of his feelings or the way in which they had treacherously overset his reason, because he had not known he had them.

How ironic that all his carefully constructed fail-safes had failed in the end to protect them from the biggest danger of all - himself.

The interrogators approaching his cell are momentarily disconcerted by the sound of laughter emerging from it - a surprisingly upbeat response to incarceration, they think, and one that they will enjoy crushing over the next few hours.

Travisina
Gosh, isn't everyone on fire this month? Only the 5th of January, and we're already on to page two!

@ Anniew - terrific stories, and I forgive you for kind of stealing a march on my idea with your first one Wink
@ Brad - You write Jenna ever so well.
@ Lurena - very amusing, and a lovely pic of Vila Smile
@ TT - clever, very clever!

I've challenged myself to try to incorporate both prompts into one story, while keeping within the 500 word limit. Let's see how that worked out...

Travisina
BETA

There were three ways by which an individual could become an Alpha grade citizen of the Federation.

The first was to be born to Alpha parents. This guaranteed a lifetime of privilege.

The second route was through education. Regular testing identified students who were academically gifted. They had to undertake rigorous examinations, and not all would pass, but those who succeeded would graduate as Alphas.

The third way was to marry into an Alpha family. This rarely happened.

Kerr Avon could do nothing about the accident of his birth to Beta parents, but he worked hard at his studies. He discovered he had a natural aptitude for mathematics, electronics and computers, and his early exam results showed promise. He also worked hard to cultivate Alpha speech patterns and their aloof air of entitlement. When the time came, he intended to blend effortlessly into their society.

But the time did not come. Succumbing to a rare illness during his last year at school, he missed two exams. Despite his best efforts, the final results were five percentage points below the minimum required to graduate as an Alpha. At the presentation ceremony, he accepted with unsmiling grace his Beta grade certificate and a prospective career as a computer engineer.

That left him with the third option. Anna Grant. Rich, beautiful and rebellious, she defied her family to bond with the quiet, clever technician who serviced their computers. At first, Avon thought she might be his route to Alpha status. Then as their love deepened and they set out on a criminal route to wealth and freedom, Avon realised that he cared more about bringing down Federation society than becoming an elite part of it. Being with Anna was all that mattered...

... all that mattered, until it all went wrong. He lost his lover and any opportunity to achieve wealth and advancement. She had died under torture, he had been tried and convicted as a Beta citizen.

Lying on a narrow bed in the holding cell, his face turned to the wall, Avon ignored the inane chatter of his fellow convicts. Ironically, many of them assumed he was an Alpha. Half asleep, he thought he could hear the distant roar of engines. That would be the ship arriving to take him into exile. The roar seemed to become a moan, echoing through the prison corridors. Then the docking mechanisms engaged, but to Avon the sound was of a door slamming shut, followed by a chorus of ghostly voices. He thought could hear them chanting: Beta.

Anniew
Write it anyway Travisina! And I hope you've noticed that I've kept scrupulously to the 500 limit. ( well maybe ten or so over - I've not obsessed too much). So proud of myself but to be honest I've only achieved it because of what I've learned from your editing! 'Does that make sense ?'and 'Do I need to include it?' have become my mantras!

littlesue
Darn it..I was working along the same lines as Travisna for one of the prompts, although in mine he was an Alpha...well Mr D did mention in one of his interviews in Starburst that he thought Avon came from the area known as Prussia. And that explained his demeanour.
Edited by littlesue on 05 January 2016 22:20:31
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

BradPaula
A.L.P.H.A.

The troop transporter hit the surface of the planet with a jarring thud. The soldiers waited for the huge armored door to open and the metal ramp to slide out giving them access to the surface. Where they had alighted was not level ground, but the pock-marked desolation of a battle field. The ramp laid itself out but the troopers had to jump to freedom or be shot where they stood as the ground was feet below them and they were taking volleys of shots from every direction so they jumped, not knowing (or caring) how far they would fall. The first few troopers were shot where they stood and the rest of the company had to step over them to get to supposed freedom. Because the transport had landed smack in the middle of the battle field, most of the soldiers had not made it to the surface of the planet alive.

One had, and after getting the breath knocked out of him, had the sudden realization of Hell as tracer bullets screamed overhead and he spat dirt from his mouth trying to get his bearings. He scanned the ground and located a bomb crater and crawled crab-like to it and hopefully to safety. He scampered over the rim of the hole and fell into the maw-like darkness. Righting himself he found he was not the only one there. Fortunately, it was another soldier, in the same uniform, same helmet- everything as he had on but his uniform was new, albeit muddy now and this man's was covered in spatters of blood, ration scraps and the gray mud which seemed to pervade the place. He was shaken out of his musings as the other soldier screamed at him.

“Keep your head down, you idiot! You want to give the Wargs an easy kill-shot?”

He ducked down and gripped his para-rifle close to his body. “No, Sir,” he barked back, not quite knowing what else to say.

“That's better. Stay down, and stay alive. I'm Section Leader Trant. Who are you, boy?”

“Rai, Sir. Trooper Aldous Rai. I just arrived,” the pathetic dog-face shouted above the din of the bullets and shock cannon blasts.

“I know. I saw the troop ship land. What was the pilot thinking? He lost nearly the whole company!”

“Yes, Sir.” More tracer bullets screamed overhead and Rai hunkered down even more into the damp, slimy soil.

“What's your specialty, soldier?” the gruff Section Leader barked.

“Communications, Sir. I was until three days ago a communications tech at Supreme Command HQ.”

"HQ?” Trant groaned. “You're not one of those decorative staff men of Servalan's, are you?”

“I'm afraid so, Sir. This is my first combat experience, Sir.”

“No...” the Section Leader feigned surprise, then shouted and fired his gun over the poor soldier's head. “Wargs! Shoot man, shoot!”

The raw soldier turned and aimed his rifle at the hideous creature standing at the edge of the crater. It stood eight feet tall and had a shiny greenish skin. His over-sized head sported yellow fangs dripping with disgusting slimy saliva. Trant took aim and blew the creature's head off. Rai watched in terror and then turned away and was sick.

Trant sank back into the muddy soil checking that he had enough ammo for the next Warg. “Didn't you get briefed before setting down here?” the Section Leader inquired, none too nicely.

“Yes, Sir, but the transporter was so noisy with it being shelled, I couldn't hear half of it.”

“Great,” Trant hissed. “Well, the gist of it is that Wargs are big green frog-like aliens with bigger guns. And they'll eat you as soon as they've shot you. They're what we call in the ranks, A.L.P.H.A.s.”

“A.L.P.H.A.s, Sir?” Rai was completely out of his depth. He never signed up to be a soldier, he was one of the elite communications staff men, or had been until the Galactic War and then nearly everyone not absolutely needed at HQ was shipped out to this gods-forsaken planet to quell an uprising of the Wargs, allies of the Galactic threat, the Andromedans.

“Yes, soldier. Alien Life-forms: Presumed Heavily Armed. The Indies of this planet are one tough bunch of slime-suckers!”

“Indies, Sir?” Rai pathetically asked.

“Indigenous life forms. The planet's inhabitants. Damn, what sort of men are they sending me? If you can't fight, you're dead. Got it?”

Rai never had time to answer. Another giant Warg popped up from the rim of the crater and shooting first, killed Rai with one shot. The Section Leader stood and fired and the Warg fell into the hole with them, spewing green blood and dripping that horrible-smelling saliva onto Rai's body. The Section Leader sighed in frustration. Such a waste. He suddenly heard heavy foot-falls and turning around saw four giant Wargs running towards him. He shot two of the aliens outright but one of the others hit him square in the chest with a blast from his huge gun. Trant was gone. The Wargs ran on. The planet was lost, but eventually the Federation fought back the Andromedan attack and regained supremacy of the Galaxy. As was usual, the planet and the bloodshed there was soon forgotten. All hail President Servalan!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.79 seconds
9,177,371 unique visits since 8th January 2014