Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
January 2016 fanfic challenge
Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:

It had special resonance because I'm a Granny

Hi Annie, thanks for the very kind comments. I hope you weren't concerned about the references to grandmothers being eaten at the end.

I'd also like to reassure everyone that no porridge was harmed in the making of this production. Of course, I had to belt the kids a lot.*

* This is a big fib!

Anniew
Joe, stories where Grandmas meet horrific fates are par for the course among my lot! The kids are always disposing of me in gruesome ways!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Lurena
That is brilliant Joe!
And your kids are doing a perfect job.
Thank you for sharing this fun.
Porridge has never been popular among my people, but your audio changed my opinion about it forever!
Please, keep the Badly Made Blake's 7 productions coming.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Ellen York
That was fun! Sounds like you all had a blast making it Smile
Is porridge the same thing as oatmeal? In the US the hot cereal made with ground oats is called oatmeal. But when my mum made the slow cook kind with brown sugar (as opposed to the instant that you just pour hot water over) she called it porridge. I tend to used the terms synonymously, however, Mums vocabulary was a bit quirky (some of it regional variation, but some of it unique to her).

Travisina
Ellen York wrote:

Is porridge the same thing as oatmeal? In the US the hot cereal made with ground oats is called oatmeal.

Kind of. It's oats, but not ground and not instant - they're rolled oats. Cooked on the hob or in microwave, with milk or water. Only takes a couple of mins in the microwave, and no saucepans to clean afterwards! There are regional variations - some like it sweet, some like it salty. I like it with fruit Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

littlesue
@ Joe
Glorious, absolutely glorious.
Reminds me of what my friends and I used to do back in the 60s with my reel to reel tape recorder. I'd write the script, in a note book, and we'd sit round the microphone...trying to keep straight faces!
Somewhere in my cupboard I have a reel of tape which consists us all reduced to laughter but still struggling to finish the play!!!
My fave porridge is Readybrek...with sugar! Yum.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

Ellen York wrote:

Is porridge the same thing as oatmeal? In the US the hot cereal made with ground oats is called oatmeal.

Kind of. It's oats, but not ground and not instant - they're rolled oats. Cooked on the hob or in microwave, with milk or water. Only takes a couple of mins in the microwave, and no saucepans to clean afterwards! There are regional variations - some like it sweet, some like it salty. I like it with fruit Smile

Ellen, it seems to be like our oatmeal.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

BradPaula
Joe: Loved the Badly Made Blake's 7- Project Alpha. So nice to see you are getting your kids involved in B7! And the decent impression of Mr. Nicholas Briggs saying 'Big Breakfast. We love porridge' blew me away. So glad I wasn't eating any at the time or else i'd be all over my computer screen! Well done and if you will, more! Thanks.

purplecleric
@littlesue - Sound of |Silence - I love reinterpretations of old myths especially in fanfic. They are such fun to play with and I really enjoyed this one. It was great to see Gan getting a leading role.

Alpha 7/5 - When Avon started referring to the nuisance I thought we might be heading down the Tribble route, but you took a sweet but sad alternative. I like the way the story was woven through the series and the ending. And thanks to @Lurena for the inspiration and another fine illustration.

@Ellen - What a vivid picture you wrought/wrote of Vila taking his grading exam. You captured the moment perfectly.

@Joe Dredd - what can I say but - BRAVO! That was a stupendous and hilarious response to the challenge. Congrats to your kids - they're stars!

I feel my little effort will be a massive anti-climax after that but here goes:

purplecleric
Privilege

The notes danced prettily around the room. It was his music lesson and Kerr Avon followed the score on his screen along with its accompanying annotations. He leaned back and his chair moulded itself around him so perfectly that he felt weightless. Natural sunlight poured through the windows few had access to and the aroma of real coffee rose from his mug. The music moved on to the refrain and, already familiar with the pattern and meaning, Avon closed his eyes. He was warm and comfortable, his belly full of fine food and his mind full of maths and music. He shifted and the chair adapted to the change. He couldn't relax. There was a note of discord and he worried at it, trying to isolate this slipped stitch in the rich tapestry of the moment.

The screen bonged and Avon straightened, muted the music before barking at the monitor.
'Yes?'
The melodic mechanical voice chimed in reply.
'This is your reminder. Fencing tuition will begin in twenty minute's time. Please make your way to the quadrangle. You have one new message. Message received from your mother at 13-30. Would you like to hear your message?'
Avon snorted. The message service interpreted that as a 'yes' and replayed the message.
'Kerr, darling. So kind of you to invite your father and I to your birthday celebrations. Unfortunately we have a prior engagement, something it would be impolitic to miss. I'm sure you and your friends will have a far nicer time without a pair of old things like us hanging around. Must dash, I've got tea with the ambassador's wife. See you at the end of term, darling.'

Friends! Avon punched the button to silence the screen. The dissonance was now a faint hum, in the hushed room and in his head. The gap between his mother's perceptions of his life and his real life was as wide as the chasm between her affectionate words and her cold tone.

As he donned his protective clothing and began to spar with his automated opponent Avon considered his list of friends. Acquaintances would be a better description. All were witty and charming, well-dressed and well-informed and he often shared drinks, discussions, meals or his bed with them. Despite this, he had little inclination to invite them to share his birthday.

Avon jabbed harder at the automaton, his blade bending with each thrust until with one particularly vicious blow it sprang free from his grip. Pain shot through his arm. The sword clattered onto the floor and he bent to retrieve it. Weariness overcame him and Avon sank to the floor, rubbing his aching arm. The hum was louder now, echoing through the hollowness of his life. He had everything - and nothing.

Well, he would have to see to that. A birthday was the perfect catalyst for change. If the light, sweet life failed to satisfy then maybe something darker, more dangerous would sustain him. Avon rose to his feet and shook out his arm. His steps were brisk as he made his way to his next lesson. His head filled with thoughts of crime and deception while his pounding heart echoed around the empty chamber of his soul.

Anniew
I love the details in this fic PC - the chair that moulds itself perfectly to its sitter's form, the natural sunlight, the real coffee. It gives a very plausible explanation as to why Avon turns to crime and its very sad.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
@PC...so beautiful. Some lovely imagery in there.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
@PC - fab descriptions, both of Avon's external surroundings and internal feelings. Nicely done Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
Blake's 1999

Zen: **INFORMATION. A SMALL SPACE VEHICLE IS CLOSING UPON OUR PRESENT POSITION**
Blake: “How far away is it, Zen?”
Zen: **THE VEHICLE IS THIRTY SPACIALS AWAY BUT NOT ON A CLOSING PATH…”
Blake: “Can you identify it?”
Zen: **SENSORS IDENTIFY THE VEHICLE AS AN APOLLO CLASS EXPLORATION VEHICLE**
Blake: “Thank you Zen, can you keep me informed of its position and any potential threat”
Zen: **CONFIRMED**
Vila: “Don’t you want to investigate it? How can you be sure it’s not a threat?”
Avon: “Zen’s sensors will warn us if that is the case, and it is certainly not manned”
Vila: “And I suppose you know all about them… whatever it was called”
Avon: “Apollo ships? Yes, though only through research. They were named after the vehicles that first travelled from the Earth to the Moon during the First Calendar…”
Vila: “Which planet’s moon?”
Blake: “The Earth’s moon of course!”
Vila: “But the Earth doesn’t have a moon!”
Jenna: “It did in the First Calendar. Your tutorials didn’t include history?”
Vila: “They probably did, but I skipped them all so never found out. There were more interesting things to do”
Avon: “Why does that not surprise me?”
Blake: “That Vila skipped his tutorials or doesn’t know his own planet’s history?”
Avon: “Both”
Vila: “So, what happened to the Moon? What did it look like?”
Blake: “I read that it looked like a silver disk in the sky”
Jenna: “It must have looked beautiful”
Vila: “But what happened to it?”
Blake: “We don’t really know, but I think there was an accident…”
Avon: “There was a nuclear blast, we don’t know why, and it changed the Moon’s orbit”
Blake: “It was flung away from the Earth too fast to evacuate the colony there…”
Vila: “There was a colony? Why didn’t they report what happened?”
Avon: “They probably had other things on their minds”
Blake: “And nobody knows where it went in the end. Observatories tracked it for a while, though it was travelling too fast for communication with the technology of the time, and then it simply disappeared. And besides, they had other things on their minds on Earth too with the natural disasters the accident caused”
Jenna: “Maybe we’ll find it ourselves one day. The Liberator is the best ship to search with!”
Avon: “Maybe… or maybe not. After all, we too have other things on our minds"
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 31 January 2016 20:44:12
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
LOL SD- excellent!

PC- spot on and a very descriptive story which fits Avon to a 't'.

trevor travis
Need to do some catching up with reading these at work this week!!

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Need to do some catching up with reading these at work this week!!

Working until gone midnight this evening so I have plenty of catching up to do right now! Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Travisina
@SD - an innovative response to the 'Alpha' prompt - LOL!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just finished catching up with the thread, and these entries in particular really impressed me...

Soolin's 5 - this story/serial gets progressively better with each episode and I'm finding the exploration of Soolin as a person to be very engaging. What does she really think about her life, or of those around her? Putting her with this cast of characters taken from both Blake's 7 and Doctor Who works very well, and 'Soolant' is a romance that I can see working albeit not smoothly. So would 'Granstina' though, so Soolin needs to watch out...

Metaphysical Fiasco - this is very much my kind of fiction! As TT and Paula are finding out in the rewatches, one of my favourite 60s SF shows called Out of the Unknown often worked along similar lines.

Privilege - this was interesting, and in my mind painted Avon as even more of a Sherlock-type character (as played by Benedict Cumberbatch) than ever before; the intense enjoyment of comforts as an something to 'be done' between other activities while thinking about something else entirely is very much the same kind of higher functioning sociopathic process that I have always associated with both characters but which was demonstrated so well here.

Good work everyone!

Lurena
@purplecleric, that is a beautiful atmospheric story, very sad and very convincing.
I particularly like how Avon listens to the music, exactly how I envisage him he would do.

@SD Brilliant and fun! I will be looking at the moon with a big worry now...

@all writers of stories I did not comment on, it's not that I am not interested, I have been just too busy and then stupidly and in haste forgot, thousand apologies.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.70 seconds
9,879,825 unique visits since 8th January 2014