Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Which Episode Wouldn't You Miss?
Travisina
On the Sad, Mad thread I posted that when I couldn't get to sleep the other night, instead of counting sheep, I mentally recited B7 episode titles, but realised that I'd missed out one each for Seasons B,C and D, and then lay awake even longer trying to remember which these were. (Turned out to be Hostage, Moloch and Headhunter).

So here's a question: Suppose a TV exec told you that they'll be re-showing B7, but they are restricted to 12 eps per season, rather than 13. You have to choose which ep to drop from each season. What would you choose? Your least favourite - even if other people really liked it? Or the ep that if dropped, would have the least effect on overall series continuity and character development?

Over to you...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
That's a very interesting question. It forces me to confront the fact that series two is probably the best overall because it's much harder to discard an episode from it.

Season I: it would have to be Mission to Destiny which I love more than other episodes but which doesn't develop character or fill out our understanding of the Blakes7 universe much. I was tempted by The Web but it's an interesting story and I love the Decima.

Season2: Voice from the Past. All the episodes in this season are part of the story arch, develop the characters or are just darn good apart from Weopon and Voice. Weopon introduces clone Blake ( a staple for get out of GP Scott free stories) so I can't get rid of that and anyway I find the costumes fascinating. Voice does revisit programmed Blake but is just so bad that it can go. Trial with the philosophical flea raises the eyebrow but is deliciously ironic so it will have to stay and Hostage has the sublime 'Crimmos'...'The word Vila'...and that kiss ( it's your COUSIN Blake!)

Season 3 Dawn of the Gods. Does nothing except suggest that the Aurona are all idiots and everyone acts out of character ( except for that little moment when Avon puts on the survival suit and Tarrant announces bafflingly that a good team dies together - try selling that on a group training exercise )

Season 4. I'm tempted to say Blake because then the story would have had to continue but instead I pick....Assassin. Much as I love the idea of my own Slave Avon and the fact that the story gives Soolin her first hint of personality - it doesnt do anything else. And then there's Piri. OMG Piri!. I picked Animals first but then I thought, ' A world without Og?? Nooo.'

This is a cruel game Travisina. Already I'm mourning the loss of my chosen 4! There is no such thing as a bad Blakes7 episode. Just some that are more....Brian Blessedy than others!!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Oh,I like it, More Brian Blessedy than others.
Now to a rather more difficult question; which episode to leave out of each series?
Can I slap the Exec until he gives in to our demands to show every one??
No...
I shall ponder.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
Albert - tricky since it’s a really solid season. “Time Squad” is a possibility, but I think the first four episodes have to stay, as do all the Travis/Servalan episodes. Of the remaining four, I’m going to plump for “Mission To Destiny”, because it has nothing to do with the on-going plot and feels more like Doctor Who than B7. So there you go, “Mission To Destiny”, which can become part of Doctor Who Season 15 instead (in place of “Underworld” ).
Barney - easy peasy, “Voice From The Past”. It’s not only dreadful and the worst episode of B7 by far, but also a strange diversion from the Star One plot. “Countdown” should lead straight into “Gambit”.
Colin – Oh, that’s not fair. All 13 episodes are terrific. Do we have to lose one? Can’t we have a Christmas Special? That’s it: “Terminal” can be the Xmas Special episode, leading into Derek. Although if you back me into a corner and force me to name an episode which had to go, I think it would be “Volcano”, with a simple explanation added to “Dawn Of The Gods” that they haven’t had any luck finding Blake or Jenna.
Derek – sorry Og pal, but it has to be “Animals”. You can be in “Warlord” instead, representing the planet Bucol-2 at Avon’s meeting.
Edited by trevor travis on 17 December 2015 10:58:40

rojkerr1
Mission
the keeper
kairos
animals

sweevo
Season 1
- The Web
- Mission to Destiny
- Breakdown
- Bounty

Season 2
- Weapon
- Horizon
- Hostage
- Voice from the Past

Season 3
- Volcano
- Dawn of the Gods
- The Harvest of Kairos
- Ultraworld
- Moloch

Season 4
- Power
- Animals
- Assassin

Spaceship Dispatcher
You seem to have got rid of a few too many episodes there... Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Sweevo, no!!!!!!!!! Can we have some episodes left please? Grin Grin

meegat39
Season 1: Bounty - no way am I ditching M to D!!
Season 2: I originally said Trial because I find Zil irritating and I am absurdly attached to Voice from the Past, however Annie has reminded me of the snoozefest that is The Keeper, so it would definitely be this instead.
Season 3: Ultraworld, a find the Dayna/Tarrant "love scene" awful and I'm not a great lover of the concept either. Runner up: Volcano
Season 4: It's a close run thing but I'll have to go with Animals even there though are some good moments in it. Runner up: Traitor

so here it is the final list.

1 Bounty
2 The Keeper
3 Ultraworld (cringe) Actually should it be called Cringeworld?? Grin
4 Animals
Edited by meegat39 on 18 December 2015 10:31:10
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
meegat39 wrote:Season 2:Trial

Isn't Trial a key story in Travis's story arc, though? Has does he go from Federation Man to Outlaw without Trial?

littlesue
Hands off Mission to Destiny!!!
Bounty...now that's a different matter.
Now to Barney....I like the first bit of VFTP, basically because of that nice black shirt (and the certain someone in it!!!) hmm....I'll shall have to have another ponder.............

Travisina
So I set the ball rolling, but then had to go to work, then out for dinner and have only just got home...

I've had a couple of commuter train rides today on which to cogitate, so I've been thinking about this:

For Season A, the first four eps are a continuous establishing story arc, so for me the first droppable one would be The Web. I don't dislike it, it's got some good concepts and character development for Blake & Avon, but dropping it would mean we'd go from Time Squad to Seek-Locate-Destroy; from establishing our crew to establishing our villains - and I think the series would be stronger as a result.
The other contender would be 'Mission to Destiny' - I do like it, but would I miss it if it wasn't there? It's got some nice Cally & Avon moments, but the ep gets in the way of the newly-established Blake -v- Travis story arc, and how much stronger would it be to go from S-L-D to Duel?

Season B - that's easy, Voice From the Past. If only it were not so - it was such a good idea to revisit Blake's memory-tampering by the Federation and this could have been an interesting continuation to the set up we saw in The Way Back. Only it isn't. It sucks.

Season C - Thinking about it, there are several I wouldn't miss. First would be Volcano, then Dawn of the Gods, but if I could only choose one to ditch, it would have to be Moloch.

Season D - Bye, bye Justin! But if I took pity on Og and left Animals in place, then I'd ditch Assassin. It's a weird mess of an episode, redeemed only by Soolin being cleverer and more sarcastic than Avon - no small feat!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Much as I hate The keeper, without it they wouldn't find Lurgon's brain print and the location of Star One. If we can get around that problem yea! Ditch it.

Ultra wins over Dawn any day because of those lovely blue men, the creepy brain dead and the pulsing core! Dawn has that absurd monster car, a teeny tiny God and a sheepskin rug.

If we get rid of Traitor how does the Pylene 50 and the non federated planets alliance come about.

If Bounty goes we'd lose Tyce and the sight of Cally hiding out in a Victorian folly in a leopard skin coat! Through I'm not sure I can bear to lose Avon socking the annoying Sara either! ( VERY unpC I know!). Still I suppose he could always sock Pella at some point during power! Or Piri. Yes definitely Piri.

JustBrad
Breakdown
Voice
Moloch
Animals

Spaceship Dispatcher
Series one

I'm in agreement with Travisina in the first instance about dropping The Web on the grounds that it does not form part of the arc; a sequence that actually works better without it anyway. The other candidate on the grounds of being 'stand alone' is Mission to Destiny, but I find that such a great example of the show's flexible format and interesting characters that it would stay. However, I might move it to after Project Avalon to tighten up the Rebellion vs the Authorities sequence.

Series two

No doubt about this one for me: Voice From the Past would have to go. Not just because it's a weaker production, but because the episodes around it are too much a part of the story arc.

Series three

Ultraworld is the weak link of s3 in my opinion; Volcano is a very strong and clever story with a great performance by Michael Gough, and Dawn of the Gods works much better than it's reputation suggests (a reputation based mostly on one or two briefly glimpsed special effects that did not come off rather anything I consider important like character or performance)

Series four

Animals; the implications would be to obvious to a modern audience used to picking apart character backgrounds in complex US sci-fi shows. I wouldn't take the risk with this one, even if it were otherwise a decent episode.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Much as I hate The keeper, without it they wouldn't find Lurgon's brain print and the location of Star One. If we can get around that problem yea! Ditch it.

Ultra wins over Dawn any day because of those lovely blue men, the creepy brain dead and the pulsing core! Dawn has that absurd monster car, a teeny tiny God and a sheepskin rug.

If we get rid of Traitor how does the Pylene 50 and the non federated planets alliance come about.

If Bounty goes we'd lose Tyce and the sight of Cally hiding out in a Victorian folly in a leopard skin coat! Through I'm not sure I can bear to lose Avon socking the annoying Sara either! ( VERY unpC I know!). Still I suppose he could always sock Pella at some point during power! Or Piri. Yes definitely Piri.

Anniew, I notice I'm not the only one who is "remastering" the remaining 12 episodes from each season. We're as bad as George Lucas. Wink

trevor travis
Some reasons why I would keep some episodes:

The Web. It's a metaphor for Blake's own fight against the Federation, plus it's one of the episodes which shows him in a more sympathetic light. Lose this, and people would think "Roj Blake, what a git" even more than they currently do Grin

Ultraworld. I flirted with dropping Ultraworld, but then remembered it was one of my favourite episodes as a child. Presumably, we want younger viewers to still be getting into the show. So let's keep the child-friendly episodes. However, Ultraworld does suffer from being adjacent to Sacrophagus. My suggestion would be to move Ultraworld between City and Children Of Auron, and edit out the line about Servalan's Federation expanding to accommodate this. That keeps the child-friendly Ultraworld, while tightening up the end of the season.

Anniew
Now that would be fun TT. The Fans Strike Back. Return of the Rebels. The Servalan Menace. Avon's new hope.

trevor travis
I've just had a weird thought. Does it work if you drop "The Way Back" and start at "Space Fall"?

Not that I think I'd want to, because "The Way Back" is such a strong episode.

littlesue
trevor travis wrote:

I've just had a weird thought. Does it work if you drop "The Way Back" and start at "Space Fall"?

Not that I think I'd want to, because "The Way Back" is such a strong episode.

'The Way Back' is the foundation stone of the entire series, but it is not representative of the series as a whole. When Grandson said yes to me asking if he wanted to watch B7 after loving every minute of The Champions, I actually started with Spacefall, because by today's standards TWB is very slow (well for a 9 year old as he was then, it would be!). It was later on after he had watched several of the episodes that we went back to TWB and he was able to sit through it and understand just what Blake was up against.

I always suggest to any newcomers that they should start with Spacefall...because TWB could possibly put them off what is by far and way the best BBC TV show ever.

And I still want Mission to Destiny to stay in....where is that TV Exec?????
Could we perhaps slot the first part of VFTP into somewhere? Because it's worth it just for the gorgeous black shirt (and contents) and the moment Avon hugs, cuddles, holds, gives comfort to etc, etc...a very unhinged Blake!

I'm still pondering the rest............................

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.70 seconds
9,486,172 unique visits since 8th January 2014