Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Which Episode Wouldn't You Miss?
Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I agree with TT - imo she was the definitive Miss Marple, just as David Suchet is the definitive Poirot and Jeremy Brett was the definitive Holmes.

Absolutely, and extraordinary that all three performances came along almost concurrently.

And made by three different TV companies - Marple was BBC, Poirot was LWT and Holmes was Granada. There just must have been something in the air at the time.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Jeremy Brett was absolutely Sherlock and I still enjoy the episodes on ITV 4 ( or 3)
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

Jeremy Brett was absolutely Sherlock and I still enjoy the episodes on ITV 4 ( or 3)

Brett may have been the Sherlock Holmes (and was) but my Holmes was Basil Rathbone. I had seen his films several times over before becoming familiar with any other interpretation, and I'm still a fan of the Rathbone and Bruce pairing over all others even including the amazing Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Anniew
I grew up on Basil Rathbone SD and I did enjoy his portrayal but Jeremy's performance is amazing. And much as I enjoy Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman ( mostly) I'd take Jeremy every time ( or Ian Richardson). I find modern Holmes a bit hectic. I used to particularly enjoy Rathbone in Errol Flyn films as the baddy and always rooted for him.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

...I used to particularly enjoy Rathbone in Errol Flyn films as the baddy and always rooted for him.

Me too! Gisborne is my favourite character in The Legend of Robin Hood, played by Basil opposite Mr Flynn* Grin

edit: *just as I always backed Richard Armitage's Gisborne against Jonas Armstrong's Robin too... Grin
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 19 March 2016 22:43:09
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
Does anyone have a crane to lift Travisina's thread back on the rails? Happy

rojkerr1
Gisburne is my fave too, as played by Robert Addie

trevor travis
Tom Baker clearly.

wall1885
ok here I go
Season 1 I would ditch Mission To Destiny, I found it boring in 1978 an I still haven't changed my mind.
Season 2 - I'm sorry but I'm struggling here as I have always enjoyed this season the most out of all 4...if I was being pushed into a decision I would say The Keeper (we could have got to Star One a whole lot quicker)

Season 3 - Volcano - again not a fave of mine...no particular reason, I just enjoyed the other episodes more

season 4 - Animals - Og - enough said

Travisina
wall1885 wrote:

ok here I go
Season 1 I would ditch Mission To Destiny, I found it boring in 1978 an I still haven't changed my mind.
Season 2 - I'm sorry but I'm struggling here as I have always enjoyed this season the most out of all 4...if I was being pushed into a decision I would say The Keeper (we could have got to Star One a whole lot quicker)

Season 3 - Volcano - again not a fave of mine...no particular reason, I just enjoyed the other episodes more

season 4 - Animals - Og - enough said

Thank you for putting the thread back on topic!

There are some good character-canon moments in MtD, such as Cally's "Alone..." and "My people have a saying...", and Avon hitting Sara. But overall, losing this ep would not really affect the series arc.

I don't think you can ditch 'The Keeper' - it's an integral part of the search for Star One arc, following up the information from Docholli in the previous ep and getting the information of the location of Star One. We could get to Star One quicker by dropping any of the eps between Trial and Star One, but I'd keep the ones that are part of the story arc.

I don't like Volcano as an ep either, but it serves the purpose of at least showing that they're still looking for Blake after the war. It might be odd if he's never mentioned again until 'Terminal'.

I like Og - but that's not enough reason to keep the ep. It does nothing for series or character continuity...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Angry Angel
It seems to me that the obvious ones to miss out are:

Mission to Destiny - enjoyable, but the least relevant to the whole story in s1.

Voice From The Past - worst episode of the series and not essential.

Dawn of the Gods or Children of Auron - Dawn is the least essential, but I think Children messed too much with what we'd already learned about the Auronar and canon would be better without it.

Animals - not my least favourite, due to Og, but we'd lose nothing by getting rid of Justin's story and relationship with Dayna.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
JustBrad
S1: Breakdown. Gan's feature episode, and he's unconscious for most of it. Not essential. He still has his limiter, and MTD is more enjoyable to watch.

S2: Voice. I want to like this episode. It had the potential to be a great Orwellian story, but was ruined by melodramatic plot twists that depended on characters being uncharacteristically stupid, and major plot holes. Would have worked much better with a different and new Federation character impersonating Shivan sans toilet paper. How did Travis have weeks or months to impersonate Shiivan? At least it explains why he's not in Countdown....

S3: There is a lot to chose from. This season really has its highs and lows. It's Ultraworld for me, but Dawn and Moloch are equally hideous. For me Moloch is almost redeemed by Davyd Haries' fine performance of a brutal character, Doran. The same goes for Dawn with Sam Daster and Terry Scully as The Caliph and Groff.

S4: Again, a lot to chose from with Animals, Headhunter, and Assassin, none of which add anything to the overall story. Animals is so bad as to almost be good, like a bad 50's sci fi film. Assassin has some truly bad performances, and requires the top two characters (Avon and Tarrant) to be less than clever, but is perhaps redeemed by Soolin being the hero rather than Avon or Tarrant. That leaves Headhunter. Dayna doesn't have a simple double barreled shotgun, or a contact mine, or an old fashioned grenade without a solid state detonator? Avon is willing to risk death on the slim hope of redeeming a 'doomsday machine' that can be so easily destroyed?

peladon
markab2 wrote:

I loved David Suchet in Poirot, mind you I was always calling him Andrew at one point! Wasn't keen on the very last episode though.

I'd agree they are all definitive, and as they are all period pieces I cant see why you would want another variant.Cool

In Poirots case it did slip a little though. The early series were stunning, which given they were adapted from the short stories was an achievement. However as the series went on the stories, and sad to say the characters, got tampered with to an increasing degree which started to degrade the product. Iv'e just finished rereading Death on the Nile and the changes for the screen adaptation were not an improvement.

Curtain was changed significantly in many ways, not least the overall atmosphere of the story.

Marple verged from Christie so far that in some cases they are little more than the use of her name and universe. Enjoyable enough in some ways but still not the real thing, and irritating if you know it

Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:

S1: Breakdown. Gan's feature episode, and he's unconscious for most of it. Not essential. He still has his limiter, and MTD is more enjoyable to watch.

Cut the episode with Grand Maester Pycelle?! That would lose too many curious IMDb surfing Game of Thrones fans tuning in to see the familiar cast member. It's alright for us, Brad, we've already seen him in both roles. Breakdown is not essential in terms of the show's own continuity but might have relevance to some of the viewers that you're trying to attract...

trevor travis
Turning the argument on its head for a minute. Which episodes have to be included, because they are vital to the arc?

I've got the following list. Episodes not vital, but it would be inadvisable to drop, are in brackets.

The Way Back
Space Fall
Cygnus Alpha
Time Squad
Seek-Locate-Destroy
(Duel - Travis S1 story is too short otherwise)
Project Avalon
Deliverance
Orac

Redemption
Weapon
Pressure Point
Trial
Countdown
Gambit
The Keeper
Star One

Aftermath
Powerplay
(Children Of Auron - trilogy of sorts, Sacrophagus doesn't make much sense if either preceding episode is dropped)
(Rumours Of Death)
(Sarcophagus)
Terminal

Rescue
Power
Traitor
Stardrive
(Gold - part of a loose 'Avon pushed to the edge' arc)
(Orbit - ditto)
Warlord
Blake

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rumours of Death is only bracketed!! The queue for Paula's street sign is getting longer... Wink

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Rumours of Death is only bracketed!! The queue for Paula's street sign is getting longer... Wink

Don't get me wrong, it's a BRILLIANT piece of television.

It's not absolutely vital to the overall arc of B7. But it would just be VERY inadvisable to drop, because 1. It helps explain Avon's descent 2. It's a sequel to another episode (which is a key arc episode) 3. Along with COA, it explains the somewhat melancholy mood of Avon & Cally at the start of Sarcophagus. Incidentally, Sarcophagus contains a very explicit continuity reference to COA in its dialogue. 4. Avon's desire to take revenge against Shrinker is also expressed in COA.

There are other brilliant episodes e.g. Shadow, City and Death-Watch which have no arc significance at all, but which it would be absolute madness to exclude.

Anniew
Surely you could also argue TT that Shadow, Children, Rumours, Death Watch etc ( even Molloch) are little pieces of the jigsaw as to what is so bad about the Federation that it justifies rebellion ( apart from the fact that it stitched up our hero and assassinated his mates who were known rebels. I mean why was it bad for ordinary citizens? ) and what happened to it after the Andromedon invasion and how it attempts to rebuild? I agree it's difficult to fit the pieces together but at least they are nods to answering those questions.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Surely you could also argue TT that Shadow, Children, Rumours, Death Watch etc ( even Molloch) are little pieces of the jigsaw as to what is so bad about the Federation that it justifies rebellion ( apart from the fact that it stitched up our hero and assassinated his mates who were known rebels. I mean why was it bad for ordinary citizens? ) and what happened to it after the Andromedon invasion and how it attempts to rebuild? I agree it's difficult to fit the pieces together but at least they are nods to answering those questions.

Annie, all true, but I was looking more at the episodes that simply couldn't be left out e.g. they contain character introductions or departures, key developments (e.g. the war), introduction or destruction of key hardware, etc.

The hardcore 'arc' episodes.

There's then a whole secondary argument on which episodes should remain, because they contain the true essence of B7, or add significantly to one or more of the characters. City falls into the latter category; it's totally arc free, but IMO it can't be dropped because it adds so much to the (wonderful) character of Vila.

Anniew
TT I assume you're arguing for Weapon on the basis of IMIPAC? If I've got that right, then surely we should include Moloch because that introduces the replicator? A much more key hardware creation. Ive always assumed that since Colonel Astrid created Moloch, he also created the replicator so it survived Moloch's demise. And wondered why Avon didn't just go back and ask to borrow it in order to duplicate the Pylene antidote .

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,091,171 unique visits since 8th January 2014