Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Which Episode Wouldn't You Miss?
Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Bounty would stay in for me, not for a reason connected to series or character continuity but because I believe TP McKenna's guest performance is one of the elements that a modern audience would connect with and find timeless. The triangular social dynamics between Blake, Sarkov and Tyce is something that would appeal imo to present day audiences.

There you go, more good reasons for keeping it.
What SD said, plus chocolate!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:
So which episode would you drop instead? I think that any of the eps that are part of a story arc have to stay in. So contenders to be dropped (imo) would be:

Shadow
Horizon
Killer
Voice from the Past

All the others connect with Season 1 (Redemption is the resolution to the Orac 3-parter), are part of the Travis-as-outlaw arc or the search for Star One arc.

Hostage is pretty expendable as well, in terms of season arc. It does features Travis-as-outlaw, but doesn't really develop him as a character in that direction, as happens, for example, in Gambit.

When I slightly cheated (by moving Aftermath to Season B ), I got rid of Voice From The Past AND Hostage Wink After Trial, the next we see of outlaw Travis is as a wronged cowboy in Gambit. That's kinda cool.

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

When I slightly cheated (by moving Aftermath to Season B ), I got rid of Voice From The Past AND Hostage Wink After Trial, the next we see of outlaw Travis is as a wronged cowboy in Gambit. That's kinda cool.

Not allowed to cheat!
The end-of-season-cliffhanger has to remain the end-of-season-cliffhanger. You have to keep Voice or Hostage (tough choice, but of the two I think Hostage is the least worst! ).

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Not allowed to cheat!
The end-of-season-cliffhanger has to remain the end-of-season-cliffhanger. You have to keep Voice or Hostage (tough choice, but of the two I think Hostage is the least worst! ).

That wasn't in the original rules. Wink

Although, yes, if it comes down to a choice of Hostage and Voice From The Past, then Hostage is certainly the better of the two, by far. VTFP is my least favourite episode of all 52. It hardly has a single saving grace, and the way both Vila and Travis are portrayed is plain awful. Both characters seemed to have taken their stupid pills before this episode.

Anniew
The triangular social dynamics between Blake, Sarkov and Tyce is something that would appeal imo to present day audiences.

Well maybe but the initial boggle element as to what exactly Tyce and Sarkov's relationship is, might put them off. I've actually always quite enjoyed Voice ( toilet roll reveal, Shivan's incomprehensible accent, strange acting by Le Grande not withstanding). Nagu is excellent and the ensemble acting from the crew enjoyable ( OK Travisina it perhaps makes Vila rather too much of a comedic idiot but that apart...) Bounty is just silly apart from T P McKenna (excellent) and rather boring and it's never made sense to me why his planet voted him so comprehensively out of office ( and I do get the Winston Churchill parallel) .
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

...Bounty is just silly apart from T P McKenna (excellent) and rather boring and it's never made sense to me why his planet voted him so comprehensively out of office ( and I do get the Winston Churchill parallel) .

Off topic, sorry Travisina, but the Sarkoff elements of Bounty make it one of my favourite Blake's 7 episodes. Stylish presentation, interesting ideas, engaging characters, compelling performances, futuristic nostalgia rather then generic futuristic futurism, and a portrayal of Blake that is essential imo to understanding him and his inner motivations as a person. Actually, if I were considering showing somebody one episode to introduce them to Blake's 7 and hope they would want to see more then this is one I would strongly consider.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 19 March 2016 16:36:13
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Travisina

Off topic, sorry Travisina...

Not at all off topic, you're providing reasons for keeping Bounty as one of your 12 episodes for a modern audience. Carry on!

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:Bounty is just silly apart from T P McKenna (excellent) and rather boring and it's never made sense to me why his planet voted him so comprehensively out of office ( and I do get the Winston Churchill parallel) .

They didn't - the Federation rigged the vote. In a nice continuity touch to S-L-D, the Libby crew pick up the message about the Federation's Lindor strategy and decide to intervene.

Bounty has its weaker moments (mostly the Amagon sub-plot), but the its strength is TP McKenna and the Sarkoff plot. I like the way that Tyce isn't revealed as Sarkoff's daughter until right towards the end.

Bounty is a script for B7, that wouldn't necessarily work so well for another series. Whereas Mission To Destiny is far more generic. Therefore, for me, MTD is the Season A story to go.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

...I like the way that Tyce isn't revealed as Sarkoff's daughter until right towards the end.

Yes, and modern series often include a mystery/revelation about the identity of guest characters.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

...I like the way that Tyce isn't revealed as Sarkoff's daughter until right towards the end.

Yes, and modern series often include a mystery/revelation about the identity of guest characters.

But the good thing about Bounty is that it's just slipped into the dialogue. It's not presented as a huge moment, with music half drowning it out Grin It does it much better than modern TV Wink

Anniew
Oh I'd forgotten that the vote was rigged! But what kind of party was Sarkoff leading that didn't consider that as a possibility? And his relationship with Tyce comes over as super creepy until the reveal.. But it's more in line with the rest of B7 than Mission so ok it can stay. And since Voice is far less enjoyable than Avon versus the spy plants....Blake's flirting with dark Shadows..... Or Avon and Villa versus the insects and fried eggs. And these are also less embarrassing to show a newbie, it'll have to go. I'd like to jack The Keeper but it is essential to the arc . Anyway if we got rid of Horizon, we'd have to call the website Moondisc, or Shivan, which just ain't on.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
As much as Mission to Destiny is another of my favourite series 1 episodes, it was very much a parody of murder mysteries on television as contemporary viewers would have known them. But shows since then such as Poirot and Miss Marple in the 1980s and early 90s, followed by the ITV series of Miss Marple and BBC drama like this year's And Then There Were None, have changed the game by adding real drama and suspense and comedy to old familiar tales to an extent where viewer expectations of the genre would make MTD look incredibly dated.

peladon
I'd always vote to keep Bounty,it is one of the grown up episodes that IMO gives B7 longevity. Even the Amagon angle is less siilly than it first appears when you think it through and Ive never considered the juxtaposition of the two to be coincidental. Whether a 'modern' audience would get it is a different matter - I suspect it would depend on the audience.

peladon

As much as Mission to Destiny is another of my favourite series 1 episodes, it was very much a parody of murder mysteries on television as contemporary viewers would have known them. But shows since then such as Poirot and Miss Marple in the 1980s and early 90s, followed by the ITV series of Miss Marple and BBC drama like this year's And Then There Were None, have changed the game by adding real drama and suspense and comedy to old familiar tales to an extent where viewer expectations of the genre would make MTD look incredibly dated.

Hmmm not sure about that.

The ITV Marple was truly awful.

Spaceship Dispatcher
peladon wrote:

Hmmm not sure about that.

The ITV Marple was truly awful.

Well I absolutely love Marple and there's episodes that as a family we have watched over and over again! It's just like how Steven Moffat has interpreted Doctor Who, but with the Agatha Christie canon! Lots of fun with crazy out of the box ideas and cross-overs, but really emotional moments too and a stunning visual style. Every episode has a fantastic new guest cast, and gives them great larger than life characters to get stuck into! It's very nearly my favourite television series of all time, not far behind Doctor Who itself...

trevor travis
Joan Hickson is Miss Marple. Anyone else is an impostor.

markab2
Is Joan Hickson still alive?

Travisina
markab2 wrote:

Is Joan Hickson still alive?

She'd be 110 if she was!
She died in 1998, at the age of 92.

I agree with TT - imo she was the definitive Miss Marple, just as David Suchet is the definitive Poirot and Jeremy Brett was the definitive Holmes.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

I agree with TT - imo she was the definitive Miss Marple, just as David Suchet is the definitive Poirot and Jeremy Brett was the definitive Holmes.

Absolutely, and extraordinary that all three performances came along almost concurrently.

markab2
I loved David Suchet in Poirot, mind you I was always calling him Andrew at one point! Wasn't keen on the very last episode though.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.59 seconds
9,167,614 unique visits since 8th January 2014