Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Which Episode Wouldn't You Miss?
Anniew
You can't drop Kairos rojkerr! A universe without sophron? Doesn't bear thinking about. And if we get rid of Animals there's no Og.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

meegat39
@ Candlelight - I have to agree with you about Bounty and Traitor, I find them both quite dull. I can't agree about Deathwatch or Gambit. Although I did go through a stage of not enjoying Gambit so much. I now find the more I watch them, the more I love 'em!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

You can't drop Kairos rojkerr! A universe without sophron? Doesn't bear thinking about. And if we get rid of Animals there's no Og.

But would a wider, non-fan audience need the Sopron present in the run of episodes in order to follow the show?
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Anniew
SD - no neither Sophron or Og are necessary or the Decimas but for me they are part of what makes B7 so special and creative. Sophron in particular is a brilliant sci Fi conceit; the Decimas uncute, horrific revenge on those that enslaved them is quintessential dystopian B7 and Og is...just so Oggy. No more necessary than Servalan's outrageous frocks, Avon's thigh high boots or Jenna's high heels. But I wouldn't want to be without them either. I think I could do without Bounty, The Keeper, Dawn of the Gods, and Traitor because although there are things I enjoy in these episodes ( and any revisionist PGP fiction is more difficult to conceive without Bounty or Traitor) they are not uniquely Blakes7. You watch Kairos, Animals, the Web and think ' Oh yes only B7. . To some extent I feel that with Dawn - there are incidental pleasures to be had ( Avon and the survival suit ... Hell being full of Avons...some dialogue gems ) but the Tharn is just lame and too similar to Balok in Star Trek The Corbomite Manoeuvre and the episode has a Star Trekky feel visually so I can live without it.

But basically, as I keep saying ad nauseam, I don't want to lose ANY Blakes 7 episode because I can find something to love in all of them.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

But basically, as I keep saying ad nauseam, I don't want to lose ANY Blakes 7 episode because I can find something to love in all of them.

Agreed, but Travisina's original post wasn't about losing any of the episodes. It was that if a channel executive offered to repeat the show to a modern mainstream audience, but only gave you 12 weeks for each series, which episodes would you show?
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

rojkerr1
Kairos goes because of Jarvik, not Sopron or the ant...Animals goes, because its just so badddddd.The first season was hardest, as i like them all

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
Agreed, but Travisina's original post wasn't about losing any of the episodes. It was that if a channel executive offered to repeat the show to a modern mainstream audience, but only gave you 12 weeks for each series, which episodes would you show?

Indeed.

The purpose of the exercise isn't to select your least favourite, but the episode that would have least effect on the overall story arc if it wasn't shown. This may or may not be the same ep!

So, my choices are:

Season 1 - The Web, Mission to Destiny or Bounty.

Season 2 - Voice from the Past

Season 3 - Volcano, Ultraworld or Moloch.

Season 4 - Animals or Assassin.

Apart from the irredeemable VftP and offensive Moloch, I don't hate the other eps I've nominated for the cutting room floor. They just won't be missed if they were missing.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

markab2
Season 1: Duel

Season 2:Redemption

Season 3: Moloch

Season 4: Animals

trevor travis
markab2 wrote:
Season 2:Redemption

I can't see the TV exec going along with the suggestion to drop the final story of the Orac trilogy - one episode ends with the explosion of the Libby, the next episode they're carrying on like nothing has ever happened Grin There are some key arc episodes. This is one of them.

markab2
They could always edit the prediction out of 'orac' Smile

Travisina
markab2 wrote:

They could always edit the prediction out of 'orac' Smile

No editing allowed! That includes other suggestions for moving dialogue lines between various episodes.

The TV exec has been allowed to screen 4 seasons of 12 episodes each. He just wants to know which ep he can drop from each season, that would be least detrimental to the overall series.

Anniew
I hate this task because it requires I use my head rather than respond with my heart and where B7s concerned I am all stupid heart but here goes with my head!

If we get rid of Voices then Avon's actions on GP are completely mad but if he's seen that Blake's original conditioning can be reactivated, then it's more probable that he would believe Tarrant's assertion that Blake has betrayed them all and that he's acting under compulsion because that would be a logical deduction : that Orac's 'patch' had only partly removed the original conditioning triggers. Also, however badly, the episode does integrate the Way Back with the rest of the series. Bounty would be a better choice.

If you get rid of Moloch we get no sense of how Servalan is working to rebuild the Federation and her power base and however badly it does it, it doesn't attempt to add to what we know about the Federation as a political organisation. Dawn of the Gods adds nothing but some half baked mythology for Auron which is confusing not illuminating and is the better choice simply because Ultra world has better visuals( but since Dawn is more consistent character- wise I won't take up pistols about this choice. Either will do). The Web launched a lot of Avon/Blake shipping ( so depending n your views could be a candidate for staying or going) but I love the uncompromising ending which does highlight one of the issues with freedom fighting - how will the liberated cope with sudden freedom especially if it's given not earned.

Mission is Avon centric and does give him a new character motivation ( curiosity) rather than simply greed, self interest and later survivor guilt. May even help to explain why he goes to Terminal. So I'd choose Bounty - even though you could count it as a rare Blake success.

Hugbot
Anniew wrote:

If we get rid of Voices then Avon's actions on GP are completely mad but if he's seen that Blake's original conditioning can be reactivated, then it's more probable that he would believe Tarrant's assertion that Blake has betrayed them all and that he's acting under compulsion because that would be a logical deduction : that Orac's 'patch' had only partly removed the original conditioning triggers. Also, however badly, the episode does integrate the Way Back with the rest of the series.

I don't think that dropping The Curse of the Loo-Roll Mummy would affect the plausibility of the episode Blake - no-one wants to remember it anyway, and thus no-one will try to explain Avon's reaction in Blake in this way. Plus the references to The Way Back are actually wrong - the author seems to have mixed up Blake's first and second trial.
So, good-bye VFTP, and good riddance!

trevor travis
Hugbot wrote:

Anniew wrote:

If we get rid of Voices then Avon's actions on GP are completely mad but if he's seen that Blake's original conditioning can be reactivated, then it's more probable that he would believe Tarrant's assertion that Blake has betrayed them all and that he's acting under compulsion because that would be a logical deduction : that Orac's 'patch' had only partly removed the original conditioning triggers. Also, however badly, the episode does integrate the Way Back with the rest of the series.

I don't think that dropping The Curse of the Loo-Roll Mummy would affect the plausibility of the episode Blake - no-one wants to remember it anyway, and thus no-one will try to explain Avon's reaction in Blake in this way. Plus the references to The Way Back are actually wrong - the author seems to have mixed up Blake's first and second trial.
So, good-bye VFTP, and good riddance!

Yes, TWB and VFTP simply don't match up. One or the other needs to go, and you can't get rid of the first episode, which is of huge arc significance and also is a cracking episode, so it has to be Curse Of the Loo-Roll Mummy!! ;D

markab2
but I am an avid fan of VFTP...

Anniew
Presumably we are choosing episodes to drop that either add nothing to the story arc, fail to develop character or develop character inconsistently, contain sci Fi concepts that are quintessentially B7, are poorly scripted and/or directed/acted/costumed , have plot points that are offensive.

On that basis Bounty scores lower than Voice. Stereotyped Asian menace, leopard skin coat, at least a minute listening to a record, insufficient Avon...need I go on?

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Presumably we are choosing episodes to drop that either add nothing to the story arc, fail to develop character or develop character inconsistently, contain sci Fi concepts that are quintessentially B7, are poorly scripted and/or directed/acted/costumed , have plot points that are offensive.

On that basis Bounty scores lower than Voice. Stereotyped Asian menace, leopard skin coat, at least a minute listening to a record, insufficient Avon...need I go on?

Bounty is a script that I have appreciated more as time goes on. It's not an arc story, but it does feel like B7. In fact, it give us a slightly different perspective, in that it shows that not everyone has the same bloodthirsty, revolutionary zeal of Blake. Sarkoff is merely interested in doing the best for his people, and took it to heart when he believed that had voted him out of the office. TP McKenna is the star of this episode.

It's not really a case of Voice vs Bounty, since they are from different seasons. It's more Bounty vs Mission to Destiny. MTD seems more like Doctor Who to me, and it's probably the most dispensable of the Season A stories if you were only to repeat 12 out of 13. It's really between the four non-arc stories, The Web, Mission To Destiny, Breakdown and Bounty, and MTD is the one which is less B7 and more generically sci-fi.

Travisina
markab2 wrote:

but I am an avid fan of VFTP...

Okay...
So which episode would you drop instead? I think that any of the eps that are part of a story arc have to stay in. So contenders to be dropped (imo) would be:

Shadow
Horizon
Killer
Voice from the Past

All the others connect with Season 1 (Redemption is the resolution to the Orac 3-parter), are part of the Travis-as-outlaw arc or the search for Star One arc.

Travisina
Anniew wrote:

But it's all about chocolate! Oops

Spaceship Dispatcher
Bounty would stay in for me, not for a reason connected to series or character continuity but because I believe TP McKenna's guest performance is one of the elements that a modern audience would connect with and find timeless. The triangular social dynamics between Blake, Sarkov and Tyce is something that would appeal imo to present day audiences.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,837,960 unique visits since 8th January 2014